Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Leaving Neverland - Michael Jackson and Sexual Abuse of Children

No Excuses

Who watched this? What a piece of crap MJ was. Not just sexual abuse, but brainwashing and emotional abuse of the children... just terrible. 

I mean the guy is dead but his music still lives on and he’s such a prominent icon of the music industry. I still see people excusing the guy as just weird. Naah. Let his legacy burn.

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

Who watched this? What a piece of crap MJ was. Not just sexual abuse, but brainwashing and emotional abuse of the children... just terrible. 

I mean the guy is dead but his music still lives on and he’s such a prominent 

icon of the music industry. I still see people excusing the guy as just weird. Naah. Let his legacy burn.

Allegedly worse than R Kelly. Never got the defense that MJs fans put up either..

I'll probably watch at some point. Definitely one of my childhood idols. As I got older, I really started to wonder about the rumors and allegations, but ultimately chalked it up (without really taking a step back/deeper look into the allegations for myself) to just his child-like personality and awkwardness.

I really feel awful in hindsight for how I approached all of this in the past, and feel like I helped to enable the positive overall perception of him that allowed him to be adored throughout the world, despite all this stuff  being out there.... For years

Seems to me much of the defense back then was reflective of how we viewed lots of mental health issues. Drug addiction, suicide, child molesters... there was a look or a type and if you didn’t fit that then you were cast off as weird, but not one of those

we know better now. Anyone can be any of those things. I think if that scandal broke today there’s no question the reaction would be completely different 

I watched the whole 4 hours on Monday.  A couple quick points:

1). The film, by its own admission, is completely one-sided.  It’s very detailed personal testimony given by two different men and nothing more.  No physical evidence, no real corroboration, no receipts, not under oath.  It’s not an investigation.

2). The interviewees are credible and earnest.  Some of the most lurid stuff kinda strains credulity and probably wasn’t necessary. For me personally, I’ve believed for a long time that MJ was engaged in molestation, so...LV didn’t really move the needle for me.  The stories provoked an emotional response but didn’t bring any new “evidence” to the table.

3). Took a lot of courage for these two to talk about this stuff on camera and on the record.  I hope it brings them some peace...and that’s really the underlying theme of the film.

4). Again, it’s lurid and unsettling and dark.  I don’t necessarily recommend watching it.  But Im glad I did.  I wouldn’t watch it again.

19 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I still see people excusing the guy as just weird. 

Gotta admit, he was beyond weird, he was at feakazoid level.

So weird no one of sound mind would ever expose their children to him at any level...

Of course that doesn't say anything about the vulnerable kids he abused or his own children. (havnt seen doc yet) 

It really does seem like an entire generation (myself included) all kind of decided to look the other way and write this off as an asexual, child-like man who was just living out his lost childhood. I'm guessing we all did that because that's what we wanted this to be...

I haven't seen this yet, but understand the gist of it from some conversations I've had. Ugh...I'm expecting to come out of this with a much different impression of MJ. 

9 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I watched the whole 4 hours on Monday.  A couple quick points:

1). The film, by its own admission, is completely one-sided.  It’s very detailed personal testimony given by two different men and nothing more.  No physical evidence, no real corroboration, no receipts, not under oath.  It’s not an investigation.

2). The interviewees are credible and earnest.  Some of the most lurid stuff kinda strains credulity and probably wasn’t necessary. For me personally, I’ve believed for a long time that MJ was engaged in molestation, so...LV didn’t really move the needle for me.  The stories provoked an emotional response but didn’t bring any new “evidence” to the table.

3). Took a lot of courage for these two to talk about this stuff on camera and on the record.  I hope it brings them some peace...and that’s really the underlying theme of the film.

4). Again, it’s lurid and unsettling and dark.  I don’t necessarily recommend watching it.  But Im glad I did.  I wouldn’t watch it again.

Agreed on all points.  I was able to watch most of it last night, finished it this morning.  I hope it brings the two guys some peace as well, although they both said on the Oprah interview (watched that, too) that they have a long way to go.  IIRC, it was Robson who's still trying to find it in himself to forgive his mother.  

I find the amount of people who are still willing to give MJ a pass or turn the other cheek fascinating.  

26 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I'll probably watch at some point. Definitely one of my childhood idols. Ad I got older, I really started to wonder about the rumors and allegations, but ultimately chalked it up (without really taking a step back/deeper look into the allegations for nyself) to just his child-like personality and awkwardness.

Same. Add to it I thought people were jealous of him, too. Or wanted his money. Pretty much believed anything other than him being an actual child molester. I was making these comments last month sometime, too. That he wasnt a child molester and just a weirdo. Spoken like fact to boot. Ill have to look at this, as much as I will hate to do so. But I would like to know the truth when confronted with the fact that one of my musical Idols was actually a monster. Thats ****ed. 

I dont think people wanted to believe it. When you think about the dudes up bringing though, its not hard to consider the idea that he was all the way ****ed up as a person basically from start. 

I really feel awful in hindsight for how I approached all of this in the past, and feel like I helped to enable the positive overall perception of him that allowed him to be adored throughout the world, despite all this stuff  being out there.... For years

Honestly I dont feel bad about it. Not that im proud of that. I understand that maybe I should, I just dont. I do recognize my ignorance, though. It was literally impossible for me to separate the man from his music when I was in high school (I think thats when this started to go down). Like even now as I write (dummy) this I hold the man to the highest musical standard possible for what he did in public. But now that I have grown alot and I really apply the values I hold to him there is no defense for the man. Thank god I have developed the ability to separate the two. Otherwise I may actually feel compelled to defend him.  

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I haven't seen this yet, but understand the gist of it from some conversations I've had. Ugh...I'm expecting to come out of this with a much different impression of MJ. 

I think an analogy that might be apt here is the Ray Rice analogy...we all knew what Ray Rice did, but when the video came out, it was like....damn.  And there was a notion of "Well, what'd you expect that to look like?"

Watching this, it was kind of like "Well, what'd you expect to hear?"  We all know what MJ did, parading kids around, having sleepovers, sharing a bed, etc.  We all know what he was accused of, but to hear these two guys tell it...just opened my eyes a bit more.

I can separate the man from the art, even though I know it’s just a personal rationalization.  There’s a huge difference for me between, say...1980 MJ and 1995++ MJ.  Somewhere in the late 80s he went off the rails...utterly and completely.

But...Off The Wall is a remarkable piece of music made by many remarkable people.  I’ll continue to enjoy it.

I haven’t watched it yet.  Hearing others come out and explain they had similar relationships with Michael, minus the sex, coupled with the two being interviewed testifying on Michael’s behalf, and waiting until he’s dead to do this does bring me some pause.  By the response from those who have watched it though, I gather their accounts are very believable and most likely true.

I grew up on MJ. That's what we played, either King Sunny Ade or MJ. I saw Moonwalker about 256 times and had the game on Sega.

I never wanted to believe the allegations and staggered in my teens and 20s. And when he was found not guilty, I was hoping everyone would leave him alone.

I watched the doc, both parts, and the Oprah interview afterward. MJ giving head to a seven-year-old was dark enough and disturbing. What grossed me was the apparent grooming and the psychological impact he had. Those men feel bad for even talking about it and still love MJ. What convinced me is both men, and their families, clearly do not bang with their mothers. It is obvious. 

I do not know if I will stop listening to his music as I did with R. Kelly, but I do believe Mike Jack was a child molester and sexual predator. I believe that in my heart now. It was rough watching that and coming to grips with that thinking.

And for those that do not believe them, step back and think if you are romantically involved with someone. Dating, doing activities, sexing, etc. If that person was invited to hang out with a celebrity, that celebrity and your partner were sleeping in the same bed together every night, hanging out with each other, going around the world, holding hands on television, etc. That celebrity is also taking care of you financially. How would you react to that situation? Would you think that your partner was not having sex with that celebrity? Because that is what Mike Jack did with many boys.

I watched part 1 - yikes. 

I agree with @BenningRoadSkin that the two victims couldn't even comfortably hate MJ. It seemed like every segment where they went into detail included caveats like "it wasn't threatening" or "it was innocent and gentle" 

And then when they discussed how he would slowly try to alienate them from parents and family...what a tough 2 hour watch!

I don’t plan on watching this documentary.  Much like I don’t like watching real videos of real people dying any more, I simply have no interest in people talking about the terrible things that MJ did to them in gruesome detail.  The man was clearly a deeply disturbed person.

Yes, I’ll still plan on listening to MJ’s music in the future.  In fact, completely aside from this documentary but somewhat coincidental, I took a video of my 2 1/2 year old dancing to “Beat It” on Sunday night.

38 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Yeah. I took a break before watching part 2. 

Those parents man. 

yeah, dude.  Between the parents in the MJ abuse and the mom & dad from Abducted in Plain Sight, they all deserve to be in jail. 

10 minutes ago, Chew said:

yeah, dude.  Between the parents in the MJ abuse and the mom & dad from Abducted in Plain Sight, they all deserve to be in jail. 

He groomed the parents, too.  As much as I got annoyed at the moms in the Neverland documentary, they got seduced just as much as their kids did, just in a different way.  

45 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I mean Lisa Marie Priscilla Pressley was 14 when they met. No one cared and they should.

Archived