Sign in to follow this  
Spaceman Spiff

Save us, Elias, you're our only hope - The 2019 Orioles

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Good pick? I haven't watched him much but heard he was good. 

 

 

I don't know much about him either other than a few videos I saw of him playing. But it seems like he was regarded as the best player in the draft. So it's good they took him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was rated the No. 1 prospect in the draft by MLB Pipeline and by ESPN's Keith Law.

 

"I really like the leadership at the top," Rutschman said. "I think they're headed in a great direction. I'm really excited to play for them."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that was close to an epic meltdown by the Os.  Givens redeemed himself a bit, but that win was thanks to Severino.  3 dongs and throwing out the last runner at first after the wild pitch by Givens.  Heck of a game young man.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No pitching staff has given up more homers this year than the O's.

 

The O's haven't won back to back games in over a month.  Maybe with Means on the mound tonight that changes? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 8:30 AM, Rocky21 said:

He was rated the No. 1 prospect in the draft by MLB Pipeline and by ESPN's Keith Law.

 

"I really like the leadership at the top," Rutschman said. "I think they're headed in a great direction. I'm really excited to play for them."

 

Keith Law's name should be banished from all Orioles talk. He sucks...

 

3 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

No pitching staff has given up more homers this year than the O's.

 

The O's haven't won back to back games in over a month.  Maybe with Means on the mound tonight that changes? 

 

We are playing for the number one pick in next years draft. That's all that matters though Means is deserving of a better record so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve gone from suck to blow. 

 

I haven’t watched much cause why would anyone. This team is as bad as last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

To me, this team is watchable for about 5 innings a game.  They might be scrappy enough to have a few more wins, but the bullpen is a raging fire literally every single night.  Almost none of those guys should be a ML pitcher.  Man, that bullpen is miserable to watch.  They manage to scrape together probably 3 starts a week where you should have a chance to win, but a 3-2 game becomes 8-2 in the blink of an eye once they go to the pen.  

 

But I do find some entertainment in watching the young guys, seeing if anybody has reason for optimism.  None of that was present last year. 

 

This team is not really supposed to be any better.  You lose competent veteran hitters and bullpen guys and replace them with guys from a lowly rated minor league system, it's gonna be tough sledding.  

 

There's a seemingly competent plan in place that's being executed, so I cut them some slack this season.  As opposed to last season where I didnt know what they were trying to do.

 

What I need to see is if there's a young pitcher in the organization that can pitch effectively at the big league level. And I know Akin is at Norfolk, but our AAA pitching talent isnt really making strong pushes to get up here right now. 

Edited by justice98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One huge mistake Elias made was not adding any quality pitching this season. I know that the front office was in full tank mode, but they went into the season thinking Mike Wright would eat innings. Straily, while a semi-reasonable gamble for not much, is doing exactly what the scouting report said and has been a total bust. It's fine to cut payroll some, but they still have to figure out how to get through another 3 1/2 months with almost no quality pitching. That won't work in the AL East. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hersh said:

One huge mistake Elias made was not adding any quality pitching this season. I know that the front office was in full tank mode, but they went into the season thinking Mike Wright would eat innings. Straily, while a semi-reasonable gamble for not much, is doing exactly what the scouting report said and has been a total bust. It's fine to cut payroll some, but they still have to figure out how to get through another 3 1/2 months with almost no quality pitching. That won't work in the AL East. 

 

Yeah, but when they're gunning for another 1:1... it'll work just fine in the AL East.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100 percent disagree. It’s fine tanking but they are gonna destroy arms. You need to have some stability and take care of players and not be bring up guys that have no business coming up. Ortiz, who started yesterday, had been bad all season in AAA and while he may never be successful, he’s still only 23. He’s not ready and they are throwing him out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was at the game last night ... utter embarassment but I did manage to snag a foul ball.

 

Dan Straily should be told the team flight leaves like 2 hours later than it actually does. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Was at the game last night ... utter embarassment but I did manage to snag a foul ball.

 

Dan Straily should be told the team flight leaves like 2 hours later than it actually does. 

 

It’s crazy that he’s still on this team as of this minute. He’s worse than CD

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they should move CD to the bullpen.  They're in desperate need of arms and that way he doesn't have to hit.  Sounds like a win-win to me.  Make him earn at least a little of that salary he's getting.  😆  He can hardly do worse than some of those guys out there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

I think they should move CD to the bullpen.  They're in desperate need of arms and that way he doesn't have to hit.  Sounds like a win-win to me.  Make him earn at least a little of that salary he's getting.  😆  He can hardly do worse than some of those guys out there.

 

Him pitching probably voids any injury insurance they have on him. 

 

A cynical reason why he's still on the team as opposed to just being cut is the off chance he has a significant enough injury to at least recoup some of the money. 

 

(I don't think the Orioles are morally dubious enough to play a player with the hopes he get's hurt and merely pointing out the possibility.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rutschman signed today.  Also they signed the HS SS kid they took at 2:1.

 

Minor leagues look a little bit better today.  I'm assuming we'll have the 1:1 next year, too.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a dream that Scherzer no hits us. I may have to find a prop bet somewhere. 

 

(Then again, the Nats should probably adjust their starters to have he and Straus miss us anyway!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe we just punked the Indians 13-0 in back to back games.

 

Personally I hope they just keep Cashner.  Him and Means are keeping the Os  from being the worst team in the modern era.    Apparently he is really resistant to being traded and actually likes Baltimore.   Maybe even extend him if he woudl take a team friendly deal (perhaps with an NTC)  When's the last time a decent pitcher actually wanted to pitch here.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Can't believe we just punked the Indians 13-0 in back to back games.

 

Personally I hope they just keep Cashner.  Him and Means are keeping the Os  from being the worst team in the modern era.    Apparently he is really resistant to being traded and actually likes Baltimore.   Maybe even extend him if he woudl take a team friendly deal (perhaps with an NTC)  When's the last time a decent pitcher actually wanted to pitch here.  

 

Good gracious no. If the O’s front office doesn’t trade Cashner for assets they should all be fired immediately. If Cashner wants to return next season, that’s fine but get the best trade possible and don’t think twice. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Hersh said:

 

Good gracious no. If the O’s front office doesn’t trade Cashner for assets they should all be fired immediately. If Cashner wants to return next season, that’s fine but get the best trade possible and don’t think twice. 

 

I used to think like this, but the Os are not likely to get back more than C grade prospect for Cashner.   Cashner is not going to be better than a #4 on competitive teams and so his use in the playoffs would be limited.    This isn't trading Bedard to Seattle (which got us Jones and Tillman)    I doubt he'd resign in Baltimore if we traded him (he's made his desire not to be traded public, to the extent saying he just wouldn't report to the new team https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/orioles-andrew-cashner-indicates-hell-consider-giving-up-baseball-if-hes-traded-at-the-deadline/  ) , 

 

If he would be willing to extend on a team friendly deal, like maybe 3/20, in return for an NTC I'd say do it

 

Yes, logic suggests that during a rebuild we should trade any assets we have that are going to be free agents in 3 years or less for prospects.   However I think there is value in having a guy like Cashner around.   For one, it will make it less necessary for us to call up pitchers from the minors before they are ready.  It will helps establish a winning culture here.  And I think it buys some goodwill for the new regime in any future FA negotiations.

 

It just seems backwards that Cashner's reward for playing so well, is to be traded to a new team.

 

 

Edited by DCSaints_fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

 

I used to think like this, but the Os are not likely to get back more than C grade prospect for Cashner.   Cashner is not going to be better than a #4 on competitive teams and so his use in the playoffs would be limited.    This isn't trading Bedard to Seattle (which got us Jones and Tillman)    I doubt he'd resign in Baltimore if we traded him (he's made his desire not to be traded public, to the extent saying he just wouldn't report to the new team https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/orioles-andrew-cashner-indicates-hell-consider-giving-up-baseball-if-hes-traded-at-the-deadline/  ) , 

 

 

Was Means considered more than a C prospect? You get assets in a trade, it will be better than a C grade prospect, and if Cashner wants to come back next season that’s fine.  If we have to endure this sham of a team, you gather assets and get the first pick. This is the rebuild path by the front office. They may not spend next off-season either

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O's need to stockpile as many assets as they can.  EVERYONE should be available on the active roster.  There is no one on this team worth keeping for the future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.