Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

15 hours ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Davis is 2 outs from tying and 3 outs from breaking the futility record.  Might have his name immortalized.  You’ll have the Mendoza line and the Davis streak.

It's just crazy.  That is pretty hard to do.  You would think a ML veteran hitter could get lucky at least once before going 0 for 40 something.

And then once he breaks it, how bad could it get?  Wouldnt take but a few weeks to be 0-70 or some such thing.

Edited by justice98

25 minutes ago, justice98 said:

It's just crazy.  That is pretty hard to do.  You would think a ML veteran hitter could get lucky at least once before going 0 for 40 something.

And then once he breaks it, how bad could it get?  Wouldnt take but a few weeks to be 0-70 or something thing.

It's quite amazing how this same guy led the league in HRs twice and has batted as high as .286. Unbelievable that he just completely lost it all. 

40 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Lol they had a live look-in to the Davis at bat on ESPN. At least he hit it hard twice tonight.

Yeah was at Culver’s and they had the Yankees on.  Did a split screen when Davis came up to bat.  Pretty sad.  And now 0-3 with another good swing but right at the outfielder.

Ugly AB by Davis in the 8th.  The streak is alive another day.

I don’t understand his approach.  He watches the first 2 strikes, a change up and fastball both right down the middle.  Then the pitcher throws crap and gets him to chase.  He gets to 0-2 and he might as well walk back to the dugout.  

Edited by SkinFanInMinn

15 hits for the Orioles tonight. None for Davis. And I agree that he is watching the best pitches. I noticed that earlier in the night. He was watching pitches right down the middle. 

One thing I did like. The fans were behind him tonight. Probably the biggest ovations he's had in a long time. 

• Like 2

CD had good ABs. I think it's garbage that ESPN is actually doing live look-ins. That should be reserved for accomplishments, not what CD is going through. Speaks to the level ESPN has gone down to these days.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

CD had good ABs. I think it's garbage that ESPN is actually doing live look-ins. That should be reserved for accomplishments, not what CD is going through. Speaks to the level ESPN has gone down to these days.  

Not disagreeing with you that ESPN has tanked in so many ways, but like it or not CDs run of futility matters in a game obsessed with stats and history. Even decades from now every time any player goes ice cold at the plate, this will be brought up.  And unfortunately, the fact that he's getting paid $20 mil annually to take this big of a dump definitely adds to the relevancy of this story in the eyes of many.  I feel sorry for Chris, but as I've said many times before, he can always negotiate a buyout or straight up walk away if this gets to be too much for him.

I do agree that he had a few good at bats tonight, and it's not completely impossible that when he breaks out of it he may go on a little bit of a run. Stranger things have happened, maybe. 

4 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Not disagreeing with you that ESPN has tanked in so many ways, but like it or not CDs run of futility matters in a game obsessed with stats and history. Even decades from now every time any player goes ice cold at the plate, this will be brought up.  And unfortunately, the fact that he's getting paid $20 mil annually to take this big of a dump definitely adds to the relevancy of this story in the eyes of many.  I feel sorry for Chris, but as I've said many times before, he can always negotiate a buyout or straight up walk away if this gets to be too much for him.

I do agree that he had a few good at bats tonight, and it's not completely impossible that when he breaks out of it he may go on a little bit of a run. Stranger things have happened, maybe. 

Did anyone know who held the record prior to CD getting close then setting the record? It won't really be talked about except by O's fans and eventually it will fade. I have no interest in engaging with the buyout/walkout conversation again. 

8 hours ago, Hersh said:

Did anyone know who held the record prior to CD getting close then setting the record? It won't really be talked about except by O's fans and eventually it will fade. I have no interest in engaging with the buyout/walkout conversation again. 

Some stiff named Eugenio Velez.

MLB.com: Chris Davis breaks hitless streak record

9 hours ago, Hersh said:

Eh, this is professional sports. It's unfortunate, but futility is not off limits. It's fair game.  If there's an interest in it, it should be shown if folks wanna watch it. 

Plus, we cant assume the only interest is to see him fail.  Surely there's plenty of folks that want to see him break the streak.  It's not all just negativity.

17 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Eh, this is professional sports. It's unfortunate, but futility is not off limits. It's fair game.  If there's an interest in it, it should be shown if folks wanna watch it. 

Plus, we cant assume the only interest is to see him fail.  Surely there's plenty of folks that want to see him break the streak.  It's not all just negativity.

Yeah, I was tuning in last night to see him get a hit. Even during the basketball game, I’d look on my phone to see if he was coming up and I’d flip over to the game. My feelings aside of why I don’t think he should be on the team, I don’t want to see him go through this. I’d like to see him get a hit just to get past this.

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

I agree...it's an individual, but you know that if a NFL team was 0-15 and playing in week 17, there would be similar attention. Fans care about story lines. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I agree...it's an individual, but you know that if a NFL team was 0-15 and playing in week 17, there would be similar attention. Fans care about story lines. 

They would but this is significantly different than a team dealing with something together. They also wouldn't exclusively show the failures in a highlight they way they did last night. I don't think they did live look-ins when the Browns were going winless. 

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

Of course it's not off-limits, but live look-ins aren't called for here. I can think of no other situation where they did this for a player or for a team when it was about futility. Report on it, sure. Show it live, nah, that's some bull****. 

BTW, ESPN was relishing it and Kenny Maye was a huge ass when doing the highlight. It's possible he was uncomfortable doing it or maybe he is tone deaf thinking being funny about it was somehow good reporting. 

As far as others being interested, the hell with that. As O's fans, CD is ours to bash or cheer on. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hersh said:

They would but this is significantly different than a team dealing with something together. They also wouldn't exclusively show the failures in a highlight they way they did last night. I don't think they did live look-ins when the Browns were going winless. 

Of course it's not off-limits, but live look-ins aren't called for here. I can think of no other situation where they did this for a player or for a team when it was about futility. Report on it, sure. Show it live, nah, that's some bull****. 

BTW, ESPN was relishing it and Kenny Maye was a huge ass when doing the highlight. It's possible he was uncomfortable doing it or maybe he is tone deaf thinking being funny about it was somehow good reporting. 

As far as others being interested, the hell with that. As O's fans, CD is ours to bash or cheer on. 

Sorry man, I think you're being overly sensitive about it because he's ours. If that Nats pitcher approaches the pitching equivalent of this mark (going into last night he had yet to retire a batter) you can damn well bet that the ESPN would do it the same way. 

Is it nice? I guess not...but these guys opt for professions where they are public figures so it comes with the territory. 

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Sorry man, I think you're being overly sensitive about it because he's ours. If that Nats pitcher approaches the pitching equivalent of this mark (going into last night he had yet to retire a batter) you can damn well bet that the ESPN would do it the same way. 

Is it nice? I guess not...but these guys opt for professions where they are public figures so it comes with the territory. 

I was stunned listening and seeing ESPN go through the highlights. After they showed CD surpass the record, they showed the last two ABs and went through those strikeouts pitch by pitch with some smart ass insulting commentary. There is reporting and there is mocking.  I guess I shouldn't be shocked given what ESPN has turned into. I definitely feel more for CD these days over this but once he has a hit, I'd be good if the O's DFA'd him.  

I stand by that live look-ins were absurd for this as well. That should be reserved for the best moments in a sport like baseball: No-hitters, breaking a record of achievement, etc. 

Edited by Hersh