Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Last night was one of those games where you're like...damn, the breaks are finally going our way.  Maybe, just maybe, we're a little lucky and maybe, just maybe, we're not as bad as we thought.

Long way to go...but that's not dissimilar to 2012 when they won 12 straight 1-run games at one point. 

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Long way to go...but that's not dissimilar to 2012 when they won 12 straight 1-run games at one point. 

Agreed.  But that 2012 team seemed legit.  A roster of better players.  This team has some guys that can surprise you (Hanser, Ruiz, Nunez) but no steady veteran presence.  

Long way to go, indeed.  I'm not ready to buy in that this team can be a playoff contender a quarter of the way in.  If they're still playing this way and are .500 or better at the halfway point, I'll be more inclined to be a believer.  

That said, super happy with how they're playing so far.

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

Agreed.  But that 2012 team seemed legit.  A roster of better players.  This team has some guys that can surprise you (Hanser, Ruiz, Nunez) but no steady veteran presence.  

Long way to go, indeed.  I'm not ready to buy in that this team can be a playoff contender a quarter of the way in.  If they're still playing this way and are .500 or better at the halfway point, I'll be more inclined to be a believer.  

That said, super happy with how they're playing so far.

Oh no doubt...I was commenting more on the aspect of the 2012 team that was clearly "good bounces" 

That team was better, but they also over-performed due to some good fortune. 

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Oh no doubt...I was commenting more on the aspect of the 2012 team that was clearly "good bounces" 

That team was better, but they also over-performed due to some good fortune. 

Yep, they did have some good bounces.

I did see something yesterday, the 2020 Orioles are averaging a better k/9 by about a full strikeout vs. the 2019 team.  And lesser walks than last year.  Despite it being a small sample size, they're trending in the right direction.  Maybe they are getting better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Last night was one of those games where you're like...damn, the breaks are finally going our way.  Maybe, just maybe, we're a little lucky and maybe, just maybe, we're not as bad as we thought.

It's a weird and short year. . anything is on the table. 
A few breaks, a good dose of luck, and they keep hitting .. who knows?

I'm enjoying the hell out of the ride. I tell you what..  it's been a while since my first check of sports in the morning was what time today's game is.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1

i'd like to see them cruise the rest o this one and not let the Phils back in it. 
Go O's!

by the by, i like Ben McDonald. I enjoy listening to him so far, nice delivery. His story about Sam Horn just then was great.

~Bang

• Like 1

Anatomy of a Davis AB 

Takes strike one (good take)

Swings as garbage in the dirt. 
Fouls off meatball down the middle

Passed ball - non competitive pitch

Awkward swing foul

Awkward swing foul 

Strikes out on the same garbage in the dirt. 

lost. 

How this pitcher can be on the mount and move his front foot 17 times and clutch his arms 5 times and it not be a balk every single time is beyond me. 

Edited by TheDoyler23
  • Like 1

Not going to get carried away, as even some of those awful O's teams from the 2000s were able to tread .500 until Memorial Day, but this is fun to watch. With the right moves from the front office and the right development of our top prospects, this team could contend as early as 2022, which isn't that far off.

• Like 1

Deeply touching story... I had not heard of this young man...

#MoStrong: The boy who inspired athletes and rallied a city

Brittany Ghiroli and Jeff Zrebiec Aug 12, 2020

He wasn’t supposed to be there. None of the Yankees were, for a random Tuesday workout preceding a makeshift series in Baltimore. But what is life if not a series of seemingly meaningless moments leading up to ones that take your breath away?

It was, Zack Britton thought as he looked up at the sky, one of the most unusual things he had ever seen, a beautiful, otherworldly mix of purple and orange. Britton, who was drafted by the Orioles and spent eight years in Baltimore, told the other Yankees pitchers in the outfield with him that he had never seen the horizon over Camden Yards look like that.

mopic-e1597162202232.jpg

He jogged inside, still thinking about the sky. He grabbed his phone to see a message that brought him to his knees: Mo Gaba, the blind and beloved Orioles and Ravens superfan, who inspired countless Baltimoreans with his positivity and spirit as his body was ravaged by cancer, had died earlier in the evening on July 28. He was just 14 years old.

Britton saw something else on his phone, too. A Yankees PR official had captured a picture of the sky, that same wondrous sight from a few minutes ago, and posted it on Twitter. He immediately texted the photographer, Michael Margolis, because he had to know: When was that taken?

In the 7 p.m hour, just after Mo died at his mother Sonsy’s home in Glen Burnie, Md.

“I was like, ‘Holy ****,’” said Britton, who immediately sent the sunset photo and the story to his former teammate and current Orioles slugger Trey Mancini. “Whatever you believe in, I don’t know. Sometimes there’s just signs that something bigger happened. That he’s in a better place, maybe that was the sign for me.”

Maybe you believe in heaven; maybe you don’t. Mancini, days later, still gets goosebumps thinking about that call. The little boy who could not see the sunset had painted the most beautiful one, purple and orange, the color of his two favorite teams.

“It was incredible,” Mancini said, “like Mo was already watching over us.”

When you have a quiet moment, please read the rest:

https://theathletic.com/1989076/2020/08/12/mostrong-the-boy-who-inspired-athletes-and-rallied-a-city/

mo-gaba-2.jpg

If they even finish anywhere near .500 for a 60 game season, that's gotta pretty good.  Helps that the pitching is only slightly below league average thus far, versus dead last, which is where they usually are.

Alberto, Nunez, and Severino are looking like real players worth giving a longer look to, rather than temporary placeholders.  They're all 26/27.

Now, in a full 162, there would almost surely be an ice cold .350-.400 winning percentage for 80 games or something like that. But I'm just gonna enjoy the competitive baseball they're throwing out.  Because I had no hopes for this team to even be doing what they're doing.

Edited by justice98