Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

The player they took at 2 was not the consensus #2 pick in the draft. The player everyone we assumed would take (Martin) went 5th. 

It's possible that Kjerstad will be cheaper to sign and the Orioles can use that savings on other picks. It could also be that Elias really likes this player. The MLB draft is a tremendous crapshoot and this year is infinitely more difficult to predict than others because of the mini-season that took place. 

So who knows? I don't think its worth getting to worked up over. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 9:16 AM, justice98 said:

There was some talk about money and slot and all that amateur draft stuff I'm not all that tied in to.  But Martin didnt go 3 or4 either, so there's gotta be some explanation for that.  Because there was a lot of "Martin is the best player in the draft" stuff going in.

Yeah, I love the O's but I too don't really follow the business side of the MLB draft closely enough to understand passing over higher ranked players for purposes of slot money.  When I hear about that, all I can think about is taking Matt Hobgood #5 when other players including Mike Trout were on the board (yes, I know 20+ other teams passed on Trout but I had to be a dick and bring it up).

I'm just going to assume Elias knows what he's doing and hopefully we'll see this guy as a cornerstone player in 3 - 4 years.  They grabbed the consensus sure thing last year with Rutschman, so maybe he figured he could gamble a little this time if the higher ranked guys didn't impress him (like you mentioned, other teams passed on Martin too so that has to mean something). 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

And here we go with preseason. Chris D strikes out looking in the first. 😒

Then drew a walk and scored off Alberto's hit.  

O's up 2-0 in the 5th. Severino with a solo homer.  Eshelman has struck out 5 through 4 innings. 3 hits 1 walk 0 runs allowed.

Not watching as I'm out of market and don't have MLB.tv, but following through gameday. 

Edited by DCSaints_fan

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'll be tuning in on Friday.  My interest is starting to come around even though this season will be terrible on a number of levels.

I like watching some of young'ish guys on our roster, such as  Santander, Severino, Ruiz, Alberto and Means.   We should also get to see more of Hays, DJ Stewart and Mountcastle probably making his debut.  I don't know who is going to be part of the long term plan, but at least they try.   Its like the opposite of watching the mid 2000s era Orioles who were mostly a bunch of overpaid has beens, juicers and bums like Ponson. 

• Like 2

I mean, it's a wild west sort of season that we're not even sure will happen. July 25th may as well be perpetual September call ups season. 

Play the kiddos, celebrate successes, care not about failures. Can't lose 100 games three years in a row, either! 

• Like 1

We are so bored we have started watching baseball again.  I signed up for MLB.TV and it is showing as blacked out on that channel through Roku.  Are they really blacking out games when they can’t even have fans in the seats?  I’m in Virginia Beach if that matters.

19 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

We are so bored we have started watching baseball again.  I signed up for MLB.TV and it is showing as blacked out on that channel through Roku.  Are they really blacking out games when they can’t even have fans in the seats?  I’m in Virginia Beach if that matters.

Yes if you are in an area where the games are on local television. 

• Sad 1

So excuse me being late, but do we not have Gary Thorne in the booth anymore?

on another note:

Chances Ben McDonald has a cup or bottle half full of chaw spit beside his mic:
65%

~Bang

Edited by Bang

umm, yeah as a Redskins fan I join in the misery of this board, but as a hometown fan of all other sports including the redsox I gotta say damn the Orioles are pretty terrible. 

is this how other teams fans see the Redskins?

I have never been embarrassed to be a Redskins fan for reasons I dont know but watching this might be changing my mind.

1 hour ago, Bang said:

So excuse me being late, but do we not have Gary Thorne in the booth anymore?

on another note:

Chances Ben McDonald has a cup or bottle half full of chaw spit beside his mic:
65%

~Bang

It may be just for this season because of their age.  Palmer joined in the broadcast as a special guest early in the game.

Here's the OH thread on the topic.

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/38595-masn-broadcast-overhaul-palmer-thorne-others-out/ 

12-1 Red Sox now ... I have no idea why the Orioles think David Hess belongs in the majors..

Edit: Now 13-1 ... 😞

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Baseball is the absolute worst with black out areas. It's a ****ed up system they have. 

I love the title of this thread now. It's so true. Don't invest too much time nor money in this team.

52 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I was gonna bump the MLB thread but I'll just post here.

Watching the Angels/Athletics game. Had no idea extra innings started with a runner on second base. Interesting twist. 

I'm on west coast so yeah, just saw that live.

Ohtani must have been kicking himself.   Struck out with the bases loaded in the 9th, then gets caught in a rundown the next inning.  I guess that Olson grand slam must have made that a moot point anyway though.

• Like 1