Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

2 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Makes me wonder why we don't see more eephus pitches in MLB. 

Probably because of the typical "Play the right way" shenanigans we experience in baseball. 

Plus if it doesn't work and a guy smashes it 500 feet, you look like a complete asshole. 

On 7/26/2019 at 1:56 PM, TheDoyler23 said:

Probably because of the typical "Play the right way" shenanigans we experience in baseball. 

Plus if it doesn't work and a guy smashes it 500 feet, you look like a complete asshole. 

That could totally be it.  However, imagine if you're in a critical situation and are known for throwing gas...all of a sudden, you throw a 52mph "fastball."  Wait...that wasn't on the scouting report.  Easy strikeout b/c timing is beyond screwed up LOL.

Also...I still maintain that if the price is right, ANYONE can be had on this Orioles roster, but Nunez, Means, and Santander have been awesome.  Those three should figure in the plans going forward for the team. 

Edited by RonArtest15

2 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I'm going to both games in San Diego.  Gonna be rocking the Brooks Robinson jersey.

Took a guided tour of their park a couple of weeks ago when I had a work function out there.  Beautiful baseball park.  Tour guide said they’ve only had three rainouts in the last five years or something like that.  Amazing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

No trades for the Os?  Somewhat surprised.  Even the Tigers and Royals got in on the trading action.  Not sure if Elias is being stingy on who he keeps or if this is more of an indictment on the level of our talent.

Probably not enough interest to justify a trade.   We don't have alot of players who are both good and set to become FA either this year or next.  Villar is basically an average 2B and Givens hasn't been exactly been lighting it up.    

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

No trades for the Os?  Somewhat surprised.  Even the Tigers and Royals got in on the trading action.  Not sure if Elias is being stingy on who he keeps or if this is more of an indictment on the level of our talent.

I was surprised too but if teams were only offering a box of crap for guys like Givens, Villar, and Bundy then I'm glad we held onto them and at least act like we're trying to win some games down the stretch.  Not at all impressed with the returns we got on last year's trades; it's clear that even the big market win-now teams are no longer willing to deal away their best prospects like they were a decade ago.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

I was surprised too but if teams were only offering a box of crap for guys like Givens, Villar, and Bundy then I'm glad we held onto them and at least act like we're trying to win some games down the stretch.  Not at all impressed with the returns we got on last year's trades; it's clear that even the big market win-now teams are no longer willing to deal away their best prospects like they were a decade ago.

I'm wondering if Elias wants to see if July was for real or if it was a mirage.  

I'm not getting my hopes up that they play well in August and September but if they do, the rebuild might be off to a faster start than we all thought.

43 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm wondering if Elias wants to see if July was for real or if it was a mirage.  

I'm not getting my hopes up that they play well in August and September but if they do, the rebuild might be off to a faster start than we all thought.

I doubt it.   Elias knows its going to be 2022 at the earliest when the Os are able to serious contenders.   Bad teams can go on runs, but they're still bad teams. 

If the right offer had come along for someone like Mancini, then I have no doubt he would have pulled the trigger.  But he's under control for three more years and we would need legit prospects in return, not just C grade guys.   I think with Givens, the offers probably weren't good and we hope he can rebound next year so we can get something at the deadline. 

My thinking about Cashner now was more of a salary dump than anything.   

Edited by DCSaints_fan

1 minute ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I doubt it.   Elias knows its going to be 2022 at the earliest when the Os are able to serious contenders.   Bad teams can go on runs, but they're still bad teams. 

If the right offer had come along for someone like Mancini, then I have no doubt he would have pulled the trigger.  But he's under control for three more years and we would need legit prospects in return, not just C grade guys.   I think with Givens, the offers probably weren't good and we hope he can rebound next year so we can get something at the deadline. 

My thinking about Cashner now was more of a salary dump than anything.   

Well I think Cashner's contract was finished after this year, right?  Not much of a dump to get rid of him for the rest of the season.

I agree this was probably a bit of a run and I don't expect them to play this way for the rest of the season.  And I think 2022 is a safe bet, but things could happen to make them competitive in 2021.  Maybe not a 95 win team but perhaps a team that heads into September looking at a wild card.  

If they did play this way for the rest of the season it'd be great to see, though.  It would probably mean Santander and Nunez are still performing well, as well as Mancini.  And some of the pitching would be doing well, too.  

I also agree that the right deal didn't come along for Mancini or else he'd have pulled the trigger...as much as I like Mancini a RF/1B outfielder with average (at best) defense doesn't generate a lot of demand.  He's a good hitter, he's just not THAT good of a hitter to where you can ignore his defensive deficiencies.  I don't think you get legit prospects for a guy like that, nor for a guy like Givens who's having his worst season of his career.  I'm not upset that Elias didn't pull the trigger on deals for them.

Mancini's value is more as 1B.  

Elias will have a good argument to management in the offseason for dumping Davis as he is blocking Mancini from playing the position which will maximize his value in any potential trades,  which also has the effect of blocking guys in the pipeline like Hays, Stewart and Mountcastle. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

Anthony Santander developed quite a fan club today:

I was watching and it was pretty cool. I don't know if it happened or not, but the O's should've had him in the stands after the game taking pictures for an hour or two. 

The highlight of the season

6 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I was watching and it was pretty cool. I don't know if it happened or not, but the O's should've had him in the stands after the game taking pictures for an hour or two. 

The highlight of the season

I saw a video on the Orioles website where he was being interviewed after the game. I’m going to guess he didn’t, but that would have been awesome. The girl who bought the jersey also had a video for Santander. 

What I really liked about it was that it was a good reminder of how fun baseball games can be. Yeah, winning is always the most fun. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. But there is still so much fun that can be had just enjoying a baseball game. 

2 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

I saw a video on the Orioles website where he was being interviewed after the game. I’m going to guess he didn’t, but that would have been awesome. The girl who bought the jersey also had a video for Santander. 

What I really liked about it was that it was a good reminder of how fun baseball games can be. Yeah, winning is always the most fun. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. But there is still so much fun that can be had just enjoying a baseball game. 

I feel like, when your team really, really sucks, you go into the stands in a special situation. A PR team should know that and demand that. Give your jersey and hat away. Take some selfies. I bet Santander would've loved it. 

10 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Wow, Gausman put on waivers by Atlanta and picked up by Reds.  Guess he's back to his consistenly inconsistent ways.

https://www.mlb.com/news/kevin-gausman-acquired-by-reds

That's amazing. 

But this was easily the worst season of his professional career. Inconsistent is exactly what he was.  He was either untouchable or he got crushed.  

Edited by justice98

4 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

I turned on the TV last night just in time to see Tauchman go yard.  Incredible timing.

Villar hit for the cycle.  Pretty cool. 

If you can find the clip, check out how he got his double.  REALLY smart play....caught Judge snoozing. 

• Like 2

Villar can make some dumb moves on the basepaths but then reward you with something brilliant.  That double last night was great.

https://www.mlb.com/news/jonathan-villar-hits-for-cycle-vs-yankees if any of you guys missed it, there's videos of the hits.  

I liked that he got a single of Chapman in the 9th to seal the deal.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

If you can find the clip, check out how he got his double.  REALLY smart play....caught Judge snoozing. 

I saw that and loved it. Take advantage of the guys who are sleeping in the outfield. 

He also could have had a double on his last hit but you could see he was watching to see if it would stay fair. Also, he probably knew it was for the cycle even though he said after the game he didn’t know. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

He also could have had a double on his last hit but you could see he was watching to see if it would stay fair. Also, he probably knew it was for the cycle even though he said after the game he didn’t know. 

He kind of slowed down to the bag a hopped for a second. He may have felt a little bit of a cramp or something. That's what it looked like to me.