Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

9 hours ago, GOSKINS_08 said:

Checking in. First year in many where I’m not expecting much and I’m ok with that as long as we’re building something. I’m expecting 55-65 wins.

Yep, like you I'm still expecting triple-digit losses. I predicted last year's fall off but with two caveats: 

1) I had no idea we'd lose THAT much

2) I also expected it (and predicted it in here) to start a couple seasons ago so I don't really get to claim credit for it 

This year, I'll hope to watch some young players develop...and that's about it!

• Like 1

I'm more excited about this year than I was about last year. Last year just seemed to continue the downward trend where they could keep putting band aids on a problem that needed reconstructive surgery. They finally dumped everyone they could and hopefully they can dump a few more this year. But I'm excited because this year will be all about player development and seeing which young guys can show they are ready. And if they aren't, they just move on to other guys since they are still years away from competing. 

Plus, I'm happy they are going the analytics route. In a division with the Yankees and Red Sox, you will always be playing with less talent. So you have to find another way. They tried too often to spend with those teams. But unless you are in Boston, New York, Chicago, or LA, you can't sustain that kind of spending. Now they are going to try it a different way. You look at what the Rays did under Maddon and that's what I hope the Orioles can do. This is the start of that and hopefully after several years, that is what the Orioles become. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 1:46 PM, Fight4RGIII said:

Looking at 2019 mock drafts now and it looks like the best player is a catcher. Was hoping for something a little more exciting.

Bobby Witt Jr may change that, but Rutschman is filthy, he will probably open as a top 25 prospect in baseball as soon as he’s drafted.

Our system is a joke, Duq was the worst gm in the game, but at least we should pick 1st for 5-12 years.

#SpinRate

• Like 1

i know he's not an Oriole anymore, but he was our pride n joy...  

Manny signs with the PADRES>???
Who saw THAT coming?

Not me, that's for sure. i was positive he'd be a Yankee.

the fact he's a Padre makes me want to cheer out loud :D

~Bang

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bang said:

i know he's not an Oriole anymore, but he was our pride n joy...  

Manny signs with the PADRES>???
Who saw THAT coming?

Not me, that's for sure. i was positive he'd be a Yankee.

the fact he's a Padre makes me want to cheer out loud :D

~Bang

Let's hope the Yanks get Bryce who proceeds to pull a Chris Davis

On 2/15/2019 at 8:15 PM, Redskin4ever said:

I'm more excited about this year than I was about last year. Last year just seemed to continue the downward trend where they could keep putting band aids on a problem that needed reconstructive surgery. They finally dumped everyone they could and hopefully they can dump a few more this year. But I'm excited because this year will be all about player development and seeing which young guys can show they are ready. And if they aren't, they just move on to other guys since they are still years away from competing. 

Plus, I'm happy they are going the analytics route. In a division with the Yankees and Red Sox, you will always be playing with less talent. So you have to find another way. They tried too often to spend with those teams. But unless you are in Boston, New York, Chicago, or LA, you can't sustain that kind of spending. Now they are going to try it a different way. You look at what the Rays did under Maddon and that's what I hope the Orioles can do. This is the start of that and hopefully after several years, that is what the Orioles become. 

I feel this.  More excited about this year, too.  I just hope some of the young players step up. 

Happy for Manny, happy for San Diego.  I think the Padres just picked up a few more fans in the mid-Atlantic region.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Hersh said:

This team is going to lose 105 games at least if they start every prospect in the minors. The starting pitching has been terrible as have some of the projected position player starters. 

Inclined to agree.  However, the one wild card here is the analytics.  I don't believe analytics is going to be a magic wand to increase player productivity but it might make some of our guys perform better than expected.

That said, I think this is a 100 loss team.  I'd love to be wrong, however.  

19 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Inclined to agree.  However, the one wild card here is the analytics.  I don't believe analytics is going to be a magic wand to increase player productivity but it might make some of our guys perform better than expected.

If they can keep it to around 100, just be moving forward.  Let's say it's 100 even, that'd be a 15 game improvement.  

If Bundy, Cashner, and Cobb can just not be awful, that might be worth 3 wins a piece right there.  Enough to make up for Gausman, who was our best starter.  Our 4 and 5 will probably be a revolving door of guys getting lit up. 

The only person's production from last year that cant be replaced is probably Manny.

15 minutes ago, justice98 said:

If they can keep it to around 100, just be moving forward.  Let's say it's 100 even, that'd be a 15 game improvement.  

If Bundy, Cashner, and Cobb can just not be awful, that might be worth 3 wins a piece right there.  Enough to make up for Gausman, who was our best starter.  Our 4 and 5 will probably be a revolving door of guys getting lit up. 

The only person's production from last year that cant be replaced is probably Manny.

That's true, and that's a good way to look at it.  This team should be better to watch from an athletic perspective.  They should play better defense.  

I hate our starters, though.  I think Cobb might be decent but Bundy looks terrible this spring and Cashner is always awful.  Bundy has a great start followed by a terrible one.  He's a #3 starter.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

20 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I agree with you!

I view analytics as more of a big-picture or long-term thing. So, I think the impact of increased analytics will be a shorter rebuild or something. I don't expect to see any of the same guys play better. Maybe a win here or there with optimal lineups...

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I agree with you!

I view analytics as more of a big-picture or long-term thing. So, I think the impact of increased analytics will be a shorter rebuild or something. I don't expect to see any of the same guys play better. Maybe a win here or there with optimal lineups...

I'm curious about how Cobb does with a full ST.  I wondered last year how much of his slow start was him performing poorly vs. missing most of ST.

Things I'm looking forward to this year, in no particular order:

Yusniel Diaz getting called up

Austin Hays getting called up

Updates on DL Hall, Gray-Rod, Mountcastle throughout the summer.  Does Mountcastle make his debut?

Richie Martin at SS - is he a Rule 5 steal?

Renato Nunez at 3B - the defense is suspect but his bat should play

Drew Jackson - seems like he could be another rule 5 steal, too

A full season of Villar (until they trade him, at least), he's fun to watch

#1 pick and what Elias decides to do with it

Getting rid of Trumbo, somehow, some way.  Even though his contract is up at the end of the year, he's clogging the roster

Getting rid of Davis somehow - this has to happen.  By all accounts he's looked like dog**** this spring, there's no chance he can be a productive player.  They can't let him play out the rest of this contract.  Something has to give.  And he's already ****ing hurt, too.  

Trade deadline deals, seeing Elias shape the future of the club.

Unfortunately, I can't say I am looking forward to any of the pitching.  Maybe except Givens.

Thinking about multiple trips to Camden Yards this summer. Rivalry aside, it is a beautiful, accessible park and it (along with the City of Baltimore and the O's fandom at-large) deserves a winning team. 

Plus, the Angels are gonna be there in May and I gotta see Mike Trout this guy up-close.