Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 8:33 AM, Hersh said:

Austin Hays should be the starting RF on opening day.

He sprained his thumb over the weekend. Probably out for a couple weeks. 

Trumbo out, Hays out, Cobb out - Not only are they dismal, but they can't even start close to their best 10 to start the year.

53 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

He sprained his thumb over the weekend. Probably out for a couple weeks. 

Trumbo out, Hays out, Cobb out - Not only are they dismal, but they can't even start close to their best 10 to start the year.

Hays was my prediction before he got demoted. There are only a couple guys worth following currently on the MLB roster. It's pretty terrible. 

Chris Davis hit another homerun today, pushes his OPS to 770 (according to a post on OH).  He's definitely making the team.   I can't see his release anytime before next year.  They'll give him at least half the year, even if he's terrible.  By then, they'll be close to the trade deadline and September call-ups that his roster spot won't matter much, plus they can stash him on the 30-day/60-day DL if necessary.    

6 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Chris Davis hit another homerun today, pushes his OPS to 770 (according to a post on OH).  He's definitely making the team.   I can't see his release anytime before next year.  They'll give him at least half the year, even if he's terrible.  By then, they'll be close to the trade deadline and September call-ups that his roster spot won't matter much, plus they can stash him on the 30-day/60-day DL if necessary.    

Him showing any kind of improvement is pretty terrible for this team.

Any prediction for wins?  I'm going to go with 43.  Seems harsh, but I don't see how we improved over last year.   I just don't see much talent on this team at all.   There could be a few surprises from our young guys but it won't make up for the disaster that is the starting rotation and a so-so bullpen.

Your 2019 Norfolk Tides starting lineup

1) Cedric Mullins CF

2) Dwight Smith Jr. LF

3) Jonathan Villar 2B

4) Trey Mancini DH

5) Rio Ruiz 3B

6) Joey Rickard RF

7) Chris Davis 1B

8- Jesus Sucre  C  

9) Richie Martin SS

P Andrew Cashner 

Edited by DCSaints_fan

If only there was a single guy in that lineup that I thought had potential to be anything more than average or that was worth tuning in to watch.

I appreciate rebuilding, but the over/under on guys in  that lineup still on the team in 3 years has gotta be 1.

Edited by justice98
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, justice98 said:

If only there was a single guy in that lineup that I thought had potential to be anything more than average or that was worth tuning into watch.

I appreciate rebuilding, but the over/under on guys in  that lineup still on the team in 3 years has gotta be 1.

And sadly that 1 will be Chris Davis. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Your 2019 Norfolk Tides starting lineup

1) Cedric Mullins CF

2) Dwight Smith Jr. LF

3) Jonathan Villar 2B

4) Trey Mancini DH

5) Rio Ruiz 3B

6) Joey Rickard RF

7) Chris Davis 1B

8- Jesus Sucre  C  

9) Richie Martin SS

P Andrew Cashner 

Norfolk is better.

Mike Elias hopefully learned a good lesson about messaging this spring training. Messaging to fans and, more importantly, messaging to the young players is so important in a rebuild. 

55 wins this season. Gonna be tough.

14 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Dwight Smith Jr, Rio Ruiz, Jesus Sucre, Richie Martin....never heard of ya.

“Who the **** are these guys?”

~ Major League, 1989 

-  Orioles, 2019

Diaz, Mountcastle, Hays, Sisco and Scott are a lot more we’ll known. They just are being told to earn their callup. 

The good news is that we're all expecting this by now so the disappointment should be minimal.

We're picking first in the draft this June and likely again next June, and hopefully we'll continue to stockpile prospects.  This year will be brutal, we should see some good improvement in 2020 and definitely 2021, and hopefully we'll be legitimately competing in 2022.  Gonna be a long road, but rebuilds always are.

• Like 4