Smurf3

Spurrier comment

Recommended Posts

After winning his opener as head coach of the Florida team in the new pro league, Steve Spurrier was told that he had never lost his first game as head coach of any team. Upon hearing that he said,...."i even did it with the Redskins and that's not easy to do. "

Snyderskins in a nutshell.

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it was more of an accomplishment because he was totally out of his depth in professional football rather than because he won with the Redskins.   

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No issue with what he said...he's right and it's funny. 

 

However, in general it always makes me laugh when some of the ex-Redskins who have defined the Snyder Era of ineptitude mock the team. Spurrier is very likely somewhere in the top-10 of Snyder mistakes so he's one of the reasons we have been bad. For him to then make fun of us for being bad is just a little ironic to me. 

 

Basically, it's like him saying "I even won with the Redskins, a team who had bad coaches such as me through the years, so that's quite the accomplishment!"

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I had been a reporter there for a follow up question:

 

"Ball Coach, you mention even winning with the Redskins.  In your opinion, do you think now that the other teams with competent coaches and pro experience will see the tape and see you are running the same old schtick that does not translate to the pros, it will likely be your one win of the season?"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Spurrier is very likely somewhere in the top-10 of Snyder mistakes so he's one of the reasons we have been bad. 

 

Top 5.

 

Spurrier was a joke from day one. It made me wonder how he was so successful at UF.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, profusion said:

 

Top 5.

 

Spurrier was a joke from day one. It made me wonder how he was so successful at UF.

I used to think that, but Snyder has ruined a many careers. So who knows...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve Spurrier is 100% right and he should be proud of that

 

 

Always lose my **** when someone says Gibbs II was a failure, Gibbs II may have been the man's greatest achievement in his coaching career even more so than the 3 Superbowl victory's each with a different QB. The fact Joe was able to have a winning record in 2-4 season and post a 1-3 playoff record is a testament to how great Joe Gibbs was/Is. To accomplish that under Dan Snyder is something special.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to really judge Spurrier as a NFL coach. I mean, every coach has pretty much been a failure under Snyder, it's just a matter of degree. Not to mention Spurrier was promised someone like Ron Wolf when he got the job... and instead Danny brought Vinny back after Schotty had kicked him to the curb. He has said he knew he was doomed after that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

No issue with what he said...he's right and it's funny. 

 

However, in general it always makes me laugh when some of the ex-Redskins who have defined the Snyder Era of ineptitude mock the team. Spurrier is very likely somewhere in the top-10 of Snyder mistakes so he's one of the reasons we have been bad. For him to then make fun of us for being bad is just a little ironic to me. 

 

Basically, it's like him saying "I even won with the Redskins, a team who had bad coaches such as me through the years, so that's quite the accomplishment!"

 

exactly right.  Imagine how things might have turned out if Joe Gibbs had inherited Schottenheimers team rather than Spurriers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Hard to really judge Spurrier as a NFL coach. I mean, every coach has pretty much been a failure under Snyder, it's just a matter of degree. Not to mention Spurrier was promised someone like Ron Wolf when he got the job... and instead Danny brought Vinny back after Schotty had kicked him to the curb. He has said he knew he was doomed after that. 

Work ethic and proper veto power over Spurrier wanting (or being OK with) Gators.  

 

Hard to give Spurrier work ethic, he was used to an easier ride by just getting some of the best players and running his system.  He's definitely not a bad coach overall, but he was either going to have to work harder or they were going to have to override his preference for assistants and assemble an absolute star team so he could delegate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

However, in general it always makes me laugh when some of the ex-Redskins who have defined the Snyder Era of ineptitude mock the team.

 

THIS

 

If you played/coached here you were a part of the team...and whether you like it or not you take some ownership in whatever level of suck occurred while you were here.  

 

Leadership and Teamwork 101.  You win as a team and you lose as a team.

 

If I was Spurrier, I wouldn’t bring the Redskins up at all.  Does he really want people to remember just how bad he sucked as an NFL coach?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spurrier is right about Redskins front office dysfunction, but it is laughable for him to snidely make light of it as if he was just on the outsides of the whole thing.

 

Spurrier was his own worst enemy in Washington. He never made the commitment it takes to be an NFL head coach.

 

He treated the position like an 8-4 job, never really putting in the time. He didn't even bother to learn many of the player's names, especially on defense. Usually only referring to them by their number. The reports of him during practices in the middle of the field not paying attention, but practicing his putting swing.

 

Not to mention his absurd notion that he could just lift his Gator "fun-n-gun" offense from college and just just drop it in the NFL and run it. So convinced of that was Spurrier that he brought in some of his Gator QBs, who hadn't made it in the league, to run it. As if it would be that simple.

 

Spurrier's time here is rife for mocking. However, Spurrier is as guilty as the front office.

 

Their main crime was their dysfunction was so bad, it allowed Spurrier to act on his worst impulses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

 

Trung Canidate at RB.

 

If I remember correctly Spurrier’s blocking “schemes” with guys like Trung nearly ended the life of poor Patrick Ramsey.  There was one blind-side sack in particular...I believe against Carolina..when I was convinced Ramsey was not going to get up.  He did though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

No issue with what he said...he's right and it's funny. 

 

However, in general it always makes me laugh when some of the ex-Redskins who have defined the Snyder Era of ineptitude mock the team. Spurrier is very likely somewhere in the top-10 of Snyder mistakes so he's one of the reasons we have been bad. For him to then make fun of us for being bad is just a little ironic to me. 

 

Basically, it's like him saying "I even won with the Redskins, a team who had bad coaches such as me through the years, so that's quite the accomplishment!"

tenor.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember at the time that his first season with the Redskins carried some hope that he might be able to build something.

 But by the end of the next season it was clear that he was failing and it became time to part ways 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Painkiller said:

 

THIS

 

If you played/coached here you were a part of the team...and whether you like it or not you take some ownership in whatever level of suck occurred while you were here.  

 

Leadership and Teamwork 101.  You win as a team and you lose as a team.

 

If the people calling all the shots are the source of the ineptitude of this organization, then how can you possibly place any blame on those lower on the pecking order and are just following the lead of their bosses? If Trent or Ryan were to condemn this team after they retire, are we honestly going to accuse them of skirting ownership for the issues plaguing this franchise?

Edited by BurgundyBooger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, profusion said:

 

Top 5.

 

Spurrier was a joke from day one. It made me wonder how he was so successful at UF.

Recruiting in a hotbed of talent had a lot to do with Spuurier’s success at Florida . Then again,I guess Steve’s  offense would translate quite a bit better to college football.

Edited by Tarpon75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Spurrier is right about Redskins front office dysfunction, but it is laughable for him to snidely make light of it as if he was just on the outsides of the whole thing.

 

Spurrier was his own worst enemy in Washington. He never made the commitment it takes to be an NFL head coach.

 

He treated the position like an 8-4 job, never really putting in the time. He didn't even bother to learn many of the player's names, especially on defense. Usually only referring to them by their number. The reports of him during practices in the middle of the field not paying attention, but practicing his putting swing.

 

Not to mention his absurd notion that he could just lift his Gator "fun-n-gun" offense from college and just just drop it in the NFL and run it. So convinced of that was Spurrier that he brought in some of his Gator QBs, who hadn't made it in the league, to run it. As if it would be that simple.

 

Spurrier's time here is rife for mocking. However, Spurrier is as guilty as the front office.

 

Their main crime was their dysfunction was so bad, it allowed Spurrier to act on his worst impulses.

I agree with SkinsGuy.  I heard from one person who said that Spurrier was a member of the same golf club that he was a member of, and that Spurrier was on the golf course at 5 pm each day, which is something a "real" NFL coach would never do, unless he took it as a 9-5 job.  Spurrier was a lazy ass who was in it for a big paycheck, and did not care one iota about winning when coaching the Skins.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.