Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS NAME TIM RATTAY AS QUARTERBACKS COACH

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

February 8, 2019

REDSKINS NAME TIM RATTAY AS QUARTERBACKS COACH

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Tim Rattay as quarterbacks coach.

Rattay had an eight-year career as a quarterback in the NFL and held coaching positions in the United Football League with the Las Vegas Locomotives and most recently with Louisiana Tech, first as a receivers coach from 2013-15 before being promoted to quarterbacks coach from 2015-18. 

In Rattay’s six seasons at Louisiana Tech, the team went 46-33, won two Conference USA West Division titles and was a perfect 5-0 in bowl games. In 2015, Rattay worked with current Bengals quarterback Jeff Driskel who finished the 2015 season with 281 completions for 4,033 yards, 27 touchdowns and eight interceptions. Driskel finished with the eighth most completions in a single season, the fourth most passing yards in a single season and the ninth most passing touchdowns in a single season in school history. In 2016, Rattay was instrumental in Ryan Higgins’ record breaking campaign. Higgins finished the season with 329 completions for 4,617 yards, 41 touchdowns and eight interceptions. Higgins finished second in passing yards and passing touchdowns in a single season in school history, trailing only Rattay who still holds the single season records in both categories from the 1998 season.

During his two-year tenure as the wide receivers coach for the Las Vegas Locomotives, the team went 7-1 with their only loss coming against the Virginia Destroyers in the 2011 UFL Championship game. 

Rattay was selected in the seventh round (212thoverall) of the 2000 NFL Draft by the San Francisco 49ers and spent six seasons with the team. He finished his NFL career with stops in Tampa Bay in 2006, Tennessee in 2007 and Arizona in 2007. Rattay appeared in 40 games in his career with 18 starts and finished 432-of-714 passing for 4,853 yards with 31 touchdowns and 23 interceptions.

While playing quarterback for Tampa Bay in 2006, Rattay spent time with current Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden who was an offensive assistant on that staff under his brother, Jon. Rattay was also teammates with current Redskins wide receivers coach Ike Hilliard who played receiver for the Buccaneers from 2005-08.

RATTAY FOOTBALL TIMELINE

1996:               Quarterback, Scottsdale Community College

1997-99:          Quarterback, Louisiana Tech
200-05:            Quarterback, San Francisco 49ers

2006:               Quarterback, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 

2007:               Quarterback, Tennessee Titans 

2007:               Quarterback, Arizona Cardinals 

2009-10:          Quarterback, Las Vegas Locomotives 

2011-12:          Wide Receivers Coach, Las Vegas Locomotives

2013-15:          Wide Receivers Coach, Louisiana Tech

2015-18:          Quarterbacks Coach, Louisiana Tech 

2019:               Quarterbacks Coach, Washington Redskins

Interesting that often a sub-par player can exceed as a coach, whereas a gifted player sometimes fails at it. I guess it's because the less talented player must learn to compensate by working harder and smarter. So I tried to do a little research on Rattay to see what category he would fall into. Drafted by the 49ers as a late (7th rd) pick. Although labeled as a bust by a few websites, he hung around the league for several years. In this 2003 article, while still early in his NFL career, he admits his career desire is to coach....I like that.

https://www.si.com/vault/2003/11/10/353319/second-blessing-in-leading-an-upset-of-the-rams-tim-rattay-proved-the-49ers-have-a-backup-quarterback-they-can-count-on

15 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

As Les Carpenter said:

Whom the QB coach is gonna coach? Colt McCoy and Josh Johnson?

That's almost scary for a QB coach... Guy must be in dire need of a job...

He will be coaching the QB we select in the draft. Les needs to try to keep up. 

... Here's what I meant about the United Football League connection.

After two seasons of play, the United Football League (UFL) Florida Tuskers relocated to Virginia Beach, Va., where they were renamed the Virginia Destroyers, and played UFL 2011 season.   Doug Williams was briefly the general manager of the Destroyers, and you may recall that Gruden and Haslett were involved with the Tuskers franchise around this time period.

The Tuskers had ended their two previous UFL  seasons by reaching the UFL Championship game, but fell to the Las Vegas Locomotives both times.  FYI, the Virginia Destroyers beat the Las Vegas Locomotives in the 2011 UFL Championship game.

Rattay was one of the Las Vegas QBs in 2009 but retired just before the 2010 season.  He became the Locomotives' WRs coach for the 2011 season. 

Since this was small league, I wondered if there were times when these folks might have crossed paths.  Especially since there was the earlier Tampa Bay connection as well.

On 2/9/2019 at 7:20 AM, bowhunter said:

Interesting that often a sub-par player can exceed as a coach, whereas a gifted player sometimes fails at it. I guess it's because the less talented player must learn to compensate by working harder and smarter. So I tried to do a little research on Rattay to see what category he would fall into. Drafted by the 49ers as a late (7th rd) pick. Although labeled as a bust by a few websites, he hung around the league for several years. In this 2003 article, while still early in his NFL career, he admits his career desire is to coach....I like that.

https://www.si.com/vault/2003/11/10/353319/second-blessing-in-leading-an-upset-of-the-rams-tim-rattay-proved-the-49ers-have-a-backup-quarterback-they-can-count-on

He's definitely not a bust. An 8 year career from a 7th round pick is pretty outstanding. His biggest claim to fame is probably the fact the New England patriots almost drafted Rattay over Tom Brady. None of which says anything on whether he is actually a good coach or not.

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

His biggest claim to fame is probably the fact the New England patriots almost drafted Rattay over Tom Brady.

He's got much bigger claims to fame, by holding an NFL record, as well as breaking multiple franchise records, with 3 different teams (SF, AZ, and Tampa) including one set by Montana. As I mentioned in the coaching change thread...

* Broke the San Francisco 49ers record for most completions in 2004, when he completed 38 passes, breaking Montana's record of 37.

* The only quarterback in NFL history to throw three consecutive passes all going for touchdowns, with the Cardinals in 2007.

* Responsible for the largest comeback in Buccaneers history on December 17, 2006, when he led them back from a 21-point 3rd quarter deficit against the eventual NFC Champion Bears, throwing for three touchdowns in the fourth quarter.

Who knows ? Maybe as a player, if he himself had a good QB Coach above him, he coulda been a contender.

10 minutes ago, profusion said:

Yeah, I always got the impression that Rattay was one of those guys that never really had a chance due to the teams he was on.

Seems like a big jump from Louisiana Tech to the NFL with no prior NFL coaching experience, though.

Not sure why the concern of his lack of NFL coaching. Many position coaches jump to the NFL from college coaching the same position. I might agree if he had no NFL experience but he played in the league for 9 seasons, albeit as a back-up. But still he was there.  If they were making him OC I could see that concern too. 

But QB coach in college to QB coach in the NFL? Not as concerned. It will be interesting to see how good he is. The better question of course is who will he be coaching. But that's a different conversation. Not sure it matters who is the QBs coach this year unless they sell the farm and pick QB in the 1st. 

12 hours ago, profusion said:

Yeah, I always got the impression that Rattay was one of those guys that never really had a chance due to the teams he was on.

Seems like a big jump from Louisiana Tech to the NFL with no prior NFL coaching experience, though.

NFL QB coach is pretty much an entry-level position for a guy with any coaching experience higher than HS who played at an NFL level for 8 years, especially when he was working with some great offensive minds that basically created most of the passing game we see today.

Archived