Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The alliance of American football

redskinss

5 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Right. Think of it this way. Players who might end up in the CFL could play here also while hoping for that NFL camp invite.

Saturday Night....eh, I don't know if that's the best time for games. This is no football on elsewhere right now. Why not grab that Sunday afternoon spot?

I think Arena football will be hurt most by this. 

Nascar season starts next Sunday. Nascar isn't particularly a powerhouse these days, but I doubt that a brand new league would want to try to compete with them all the same.

The game that I saw (SD/SA) was kind of dull since the lack of action was mainly due to poor quarterback skill. With more games to watch it, my opinion would likely change, but from what I read, there won't be any more games over the air for me to watch until the playoff game in April. If they really want it to take root, they need to get it on over the air broadcast.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I like how the AAF has positioned itself, a league where guys can get a chance to put tape together to get noticed by the NFL.  They're not trying to hide who they are, guy that are UDFAs or one time players in the league who are seeking a way back.  

XFL back in the day was different, they acted like it was going to be great football, that you'd REALLY like this instead of the NFL and it was terrible.  I'm not sure how they're going to position themselves this time around but I can't imagine they're going to be saying they're grooming guy for the NFL.  

the reaction to the XFL always seemed kind of odd to me.  If 'It's not as good as the NFL" is a mark against it then how does college football have it's massive fanbase?

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Nascar season starts next Sunday. Nascar isn't particularly a powerhouse these days, but I doubt that a brand new league would want to try to compete with them all the same.

The game that I saw (SD/SA) was kind of dull since the lack of action was mainly due to poor quarterback skill. With more games to watch it, my opinion would likely change, but from what I read, there won't be any more games over the air for me to watch until the playoff game in April. If they really want it to take root, they need to get it on over the air broadcast.

If you don't have CBS sport or NFL Network but have a basic cable package there is one game on TNT next week

19 minutes ago, carex said:

the reaction to the XFL always seemed kind of odd to me.  If 'It's not as good as the NFL" is a mark against it then how does college football have it's massive fanbase?

Cause people go to college and cheer for their teams.  Or live in a place like Alabama that doesn't have a pro team so you grow up rooting for Auburn or Alabama.  

College football doesn't try to be anything it isn't.  The XFL was all like "this is REAL football, more violence, that **** NFL stuff you watch is for wimps RRAAARRRRRRR"

5 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I got the app and there wasn’t any game streaming, just some game to guess plays.

also looked and it’s not on Rocky yet either.

You just have to click on the right spot in the app where it shows the matchup. If you click the wrong spot you have the game to guess plays. I have accidentally gone into that as well. I watched all of them via the app.

5 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

You just have to click on the right spot in the app where it shows the matchup. If you click the wrong spot you have the game to guess plays. I have accidentally gone into that as well. I watched all of them via the app.

Do you mean an app on your phone and you watch them there?  Or like an app for PS4 or smart tv?

On 2/9/2019 at 11:03 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

How is it direct competition if it's in the offseason ?

Seems like the opposite. They may be grooming and promoting some future NFL players which would be good for the NFL.

What's with these Ref uniforms ?

They look like NFL refs, except wearing a bra on top.

I was wrong.  Its pretty clear that this league wants to work WITH the NFL... which i'm really happy about.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Do you mean an app on your phone and you watch them there?  Or like an app for PS4 or smart tv?

App on phone or tablet. I don't know if they are going to make one for the TV or consoles. 

Here is a screen shot, when the game is Live it will say that at the top right where the Network is listed and you click there to open the stream.

Screenshot_20190211-083435.png

I watched a little bit of a couple of games.  I didnt find it particularly compelling, but at least it looked like real football.  They got a quality operation going, so they're off to a good start.  I wish them the best, but I'll probably skip it most weeks unless there's nothing on.

12 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Arizona - Salt Lake was almost NFL quality.  Slightly disappointing ending when Salt Lake jumped offsides two times in a row, then roughed the kicker to boot so they never got the ball back, but there were some great plays in that game particularly on deep passes.

Definitely the best game of the four, worst commentary though lol.  I actually enjoyed the product they put out there, especially knowing that it should only get better each week (on offense) as the players start developing better chemistry and timing with each other.   The SD/SA game wasn't shown in my region and I didn't want to watch it on my phone/tablet so I watched the ATL/ORL game.

But what I read, heard and saw (I streamed a little on my phone for a few mins here and there) it was the better game of the day.  Then the 2pm game Birmingham/Memphis was even better and the Phoenix/SLC game ended up being the best game.  They did a fairly decent job of keeping the games close to 2.5 hours, ran over a tad, but still not enough to get upset about.

The pace is great, I like they have a 35 second play clock and start it as soon as the previous play ends instead of starting it after the ball is spotted (like in the NFL), one announcer was saying that because of that, it's trimming close to 15 seconds off the time they can huddle and get plays called.  All the kicking changes are fine to me, most of the NFL kickoffs result in touchbacks anyhow and the ball on the 25 yard line; extra points, while no longer automatic, are still pretty close, it makes it more interesting having to go for a 2pt conversion.  

I'd like to see better QB play from some of the teams, hopefully that will come as the season progresses.  Now I just need them to release the app on Roku so I can watch any game I want on my TV.  

How long did these teams have to practice?

I didn't watch a full game, but from what I saw, it looked like real football.

The thing that killed the XFL when it debuted originally was that there was all kinds of pomp and circumstance, but the players looked liked they had never actually played with each other before. By the end of the year, XFL games were actually of decent quality, but by that point, everyone bailed. The first three weeks or so of the XFL was just awful as an on-filed product.

This looked, well, like football.

5 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I'd like to see better QB play from some of the teams, hopefully that will come as the season progresses.  Now I just need them to release the app on Roku so I can watch any game I want on my TV.  

I think this is the fatal flaw of any pro league. NFL teams more less have 140 quarterbacks under contract. And only about 20 of them are any damn good.

So any pro league outside of the NFL is going to have guys in that 140-160 range. And that means you get Christian Hackenberg.

21 hours ago, carex said:

No one really ever discusses the real fatal flaw with the XLF, and it's clear that the AAF learned from this.

Vince McMahon's hype machine promised great, exciting football along with all the razmataz from wrestling. The razmataz was there. The football was dreadful. For about the first month of the XFL, the quality of the on-field product was basically prison league level. It looked like everyone had one days worth of practice. And ultimately people aren't going to watch bad football, especially when they are promised football reinvented.

AAF under-promised and over-delivered on the quality. It seems like anyone who watched it thought, "This looks pretty good."

They also over-delivered on the razmataz too, which - again - can only help.

It's also pretty obvious that the NFL is a silent partner here, right?

1 minute ago, clietas said:

The last month or so I believe. They even had a preseason. Think it was two games.

I assumed this was going to be a mess, but they really looked like football teams.

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

How long did these teams have to practice?

The teams had a mini camp in December for about 3 days. Then they had training camp starting around the 6th of January. All the teams were in San Antonio for training camp. They had 2 scrimmages as was mentioned above. But basically, they all had about a month of practice but most of that was with all the guys invited to try out. They had about a week of practice after final cuts were made. 

Archived