Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The alliance of American football

redskinss

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Wikipedia does say that a commercial did air for it during the SuperBowl but I don't remember seeing it.  Maybe they aired it earlier in the afternoon during the pregame coverage?

If I've got nothing to do Saturday I'll check it out.

But part of the reason I think we watch the NFL and other sports is because it's a soap opera.  We're invested in these teams, yes, but we're also invested in the players and the drama that surrounds what happens on the field.  We need storylines.  And it's really hard to make that up from scratch when we don't know any of these players and don't have reasons to care about them yet.  

Except Spurrier.  **** that guy.

That easily could be your storyline (as I expect it will be a lot of peoples).  Rooting against Spurrier.  I watched at least a portion of almost ever Cowboys game this year... and i promise you, them winning was not the outcome i was wanting. 

20 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Except Spurrier.  **** that guy.

IIRC, I think the NFL has something to do with this league.  I can't remember what the relationship is specifically but I know there's a lot of former NFL player involved in front office/league office capacities.  And I think there's an agreement that teams can release players to the NFL or something, sort of like a minor leagues for the NFL.  

It's not an outright standalone league like the XFL or the old USFL, I believe there's some sort of an agreement between the two.

Looks like the NFL Network will carry two games per week.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/aaf-tnt-nfl-network-br-live-tv-rights

Here is a pretty good article about the league:  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/aaf-2019-how-the-new-alliance-of-american-football-stands-out-in-an-ever-growing-pro-football-landscape/

They want to bring a parallel brand that bridges the gap between the NFL and college football.  For this league, having NFL involvement (NFL Network) only helps them stay afloat longer.  How long?  Only time will tell.

Edit:  Also says they are not looking at the NFL or other leagues as competition either, that the competition is movie theaters, restaurants, etc.  Coming up with a benchmark time of 2  1/2 hours and trying to make sure the games are no longer than that.  Also focused on limited advertising.

I wouldn't watch this under pain of death.

8 months isn't  even long enough to heal my withered and wounded soul.  I've been watching  less football than the average viewer for awhile now (not a single SNF/MNF game last year that wasn't our own, and also intentionally missed several Skins games as well).

Won't be among the viewing. I'll give then 1 year.

17 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

This league will go belly up in 2 years, if not one.

In the other thread, I gave it 3-4 years.  Now that they have CBS, TNT and NFL Network on board showing games along with a free app to stream all games live, I'd say that 3-4 seasons is definitely possible.  My guess is that the NFL sees this as an opportunity for a potential developmental/minor league for them and from some of the articles I've read, it was mentioned that it gives these players exposure and more film for NFL scouts to possibly get a chance at a roster spot on an NFL team.

Now the XFL, I don't think they will go more than two seasons.  

Players and Coaches I've heard of:

Arizona Hotshots
Rashad Ross (Redskins)

Josh Huff (Eagles)

Scooby Wright (Draft thread)

Sterling Moore (Saints)

Dexter McDougle (Maryland)

Nick Folk (Jets/Cowboys)
Hugh Freeze (Ole Miss)

Atlanta Legends

Aaron Murry (UGA)

Denard Robinson (Michigan)

Garrett Hudson (Redskins)

John Kling (Redskins)

Younghoe Koo!! (Chargers)

Michael Vick (Coach)

Jen Welter (Female Coach, Cardinals)

Birmingham Iron

Blake Sims (Alabama)

Trent Richardson (Alabama)

Amba Etta-Tawo (Maryland)

Nick Novak (Redskins)
20 Alabama and Auburn players I've never heard of also on the roster. My favorite to be a pipeline for the kids who were the worst of the best and runaway with the league

Memphis Express
Zach Metterberger (LSU)

Christian Hackenberg (PSU)

Zac Stacy (Rams)

Demetrius Rhaney (Redskins)

Brad Wing (NYG, LSU)
Mike Singletary

Orlando Apollos

De'Veon Smith (Redskins)

Jalin Marshall (Ohio State)

Terence Garvin (Redskins)
Will Hill (Florida, Ravens)

Josh Evans (Redskins)
Steve Spurrier
Lito Sheppard (Coach, Eagles)

Salt Lake Stallions

Matt Asiata (Vikings)

Branden Oliver (Chargers)

Kaelin Clay (Draft Thread)

Sealver Siliga (Draft Thread)

San Antonio Commanders

Marquise Williams (UNC)

Cyril Richardson (Baylor, Draft Thread)

Joey Mbu (Draft Thread)

Nick Rose (Redskins)

Mike Riley

San Diego Fleet

Gavin Escobar (Cowboys)

Damontre Moore (Cowboys)

Mike Martz

I’ll not only be watching, I’m going to the opening game in Orlando. But don’t worry, I’m not rooting for Orlando. I know one of the players playing for Atlanta, so sill be rooting for Atlanta. We are heading down to watch this weekend. This league will be good for players that weren’t drafted or bounced from the NFL and didn’t get another shot. Whether it will last or not, time will tell.

4 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

That thread was buried and dead lol.   Found this about some players, still very vague:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/what-is-aaf-football-teams-coaches-notable-players-schedule-for-alliance-of-american-football-league/

Definitely refuse to pull for Orlando because I hate ****face Spurrier.  Was leaning towards the San Diego Fleet or Birmingham Iron.........Memphis?

Why the need to pick a team to root for off the bat? Let the stories play out, just watch and see which team you gravitate toward to. 

15 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Why the need to pick a team to root for off the bat? 

Uh because Im orginally from Birmingham Alabama. Not a lot of things to root for in that part of the country for a civilized fellow. Football is about it. Aside from peanuts, rockets, n bbq I guess.

Go Iron!

Eh or w/e I'm still not sure how onboard I am. Mike Singletary, Mike Vick, or Mike Martz instead of Tim Lewis as HC woulda helped. 

1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

Ima root for the team with the female coach.

I've narrowed it down to either ATL, Birmingham and Phoenix.  San Diego is on the bubble, probably would have gone with them if Josh Johnson went back, kinda want to see what Martz does though.  Possibly San Antonio because it's predicted to be a high scoring offense, maybe we get to see them unleash the Dragon like Sexy Rexy Grossman and see some of that "**** it, I'm throwing it downfield" action (remember that satire article back in 2006 on the kissingsuzykolber website?).

ATL - closest team to me, I have family that lives there, I enjoyed watching Vick play with the Falcons.  Other than that I have nothing.

Birmingham - kinda interested in seeing how all those Bama/Auburn players that didn't make or got dropped out of the NFL do.

Phoenix - Hot Shots.......lmao..........just the nickname and logo crack me up.  #1 in the power rankings (which still makes me chuckle that there is power rankings)

Orlando has no chance with Captain **** face as the head coach.  Salt Lake City........um, nah.   Memphis, nah.

Archived