Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Woody:Cowboys optimistic despite recent skid

TK

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031772606163&path=!sports!redskins&s=1045855935462

Cowboys optimistic despite recent skid

Dallas will try to rattle Skins' Hasselbeck by stepping up pressure

BY PAUL WOODY

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Sunday, December 14, 2003

On the surface and for public consumption, Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells is neither worried nor frustrated nor upset with his team's two-game losing streak.

On the contrary, he's hopeful.

"The past couple of weeks we haven't played well, but we still have a good opportunity if we can take advantage of it," Parcells said. "It's good that we're in the 15th week of the season and still have something to play for.

"I know we're going to have to play a lot better than we have recently if we're going to do anything."

Today, the Cowboys (8-5) will be the guests of the Washington Redskins (5-8) in an NFC East game. Chances are Parcells' demeanor will belie the words he spoke earlier this week.

The Cowboys will attest to that.

"He's a sore loser, and I think that's what he wants us to be," said strong safety Darren Woodson. "He's doing a good job of that.

"It makes for a looooong week. The practices are tough. There's a lot of yelling. Nothing's right, no matter what it is.

"You can't wait until they blow the whistle for the game."

The Redskins-Cowboys rivalry is one of the more storied in the NFL. The problem for the Redskins is that it hasn't been that much of a rivalry lately.

The Cowboys have won 11 of the past 12 games between the teams, including their meeting last month in Dallas.

The Redskins left that game with a badly bruised quarterback, Patrick Ramsey, from all the blitzing the Cowboys did.

Ramsey is out for the season because of a foot injury.

Tim Hasselbeck will make the third start of his NFL career and should expect to see some pressure.

"I think he moves around better [than Ramsey]," Woodson said. "I think Ramsey is the future over there, but Hasselbeck, he's gritty. I really like this guy. It seems like the offensive guys really follow his lead."

Just who Hasselbeck will have to follow his lead today is uncertain, especially at running back. Trung Canidate has a sprained foot and is not expected to play. Ladell Betts' broken arm has not healed fully, and he is out.

Chad Morton has been battling flu for two weeks. He played last week but might not be able to go today.

Hasselbeck probably will have Rock Cartwright as his starting running back and might find himself handing off to John Simon, who was signed Nov. 4, released Nov. 28 and re-signed Dec. 2. Rookie Sultan McCullough also might see playing time.

On top of that, wide receiver Laveranues Coles is bothered by a toe injury but is expected to play.

The Cowboys once looked to be a sure playoff team. They are now in danger of losing out in the wild card race if they don't win at least two of their final three games.

"I'm glad we have something to play for," Parcells said. "That's very, very important."

The Cowboys beat the Redskins 21-14 on Nov. 2 and sacked Ramsey four times. They hit him at least that many times, if not more, on passes Ramsey managed to throw.

"Earlier in the season, they were having some problems, but I think they've adjusted to that pretty well," Parcells said. "In recent weeks, they seem to have done a pretty good job handling pressure."

In recent weeks, the Redskins haven't seen as much pressure as the Cowboys applied. How they handle it today will determine just how long next week will seem for the Cowboys.

Contact Paul Woody at (804) 649-6444 or pwoody@timesdispatch.com

The Cowboys should feel confident about ending their skid. They've had our number for awhile now. I hope we put a stop to that this Sunday though. I hope Dalton and Russell get some good pressure on Carter. Let's return the favor this game and blitz QC like they did Ramsey. Note to SS: This is Dallas. Please come prepared. And if you get the chance,please run the score up on them.The Redskin Nation as a whole is dying for a blow-out win over the Pokes. Come on Skins,get up for this one.:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

Archived