Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mercedes-Benz Stadium stopped ripping off fans at the concession stand and sparked a revolution

Howie411

It's been a major selling point for Atlanta United games (the only sellouts last season). Sodas can be refilled for cheaper than Gladiators games, which are $6 ! And if it takes 2 hot dogs to fill up, still cheaper than $5.75 each at Glads games. 

Arthur Blank has done what every good owner should...except field an NFL team worth a 3 billion dollar stadium...but he got the soccer part right. 

Hail United! 

25 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

This owner is a con-man.  He doesn't give a damn.  Every move he has made to Fedex Field is to make money.  

I don't mind an owner trying to make money. It's what they do. But the best way for an NFL team to make money is to win. I mind, a lot, having an owner with his head too far up his own ass to realize what he's been doing for the last 20 years isn't working.

4 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I don't mind an owner trying to make money. It's what they do. But the best way for an NFL team to make money is to win. I mind, a lot, having an owner with his head too far up his own ass to realize what he's been doing for the last 20 years isn't working.

I mean he still has all obstructed seating at the stadium.  Why idiot would remove upper deck seats but maintain seats that you can't see. 

6 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I mean he still has all obstructed seating at the stadium.  Why idiot would remove upper deck seats but maintain seats that you can't see. 

There is still probably greater demand for the LV/OV seating than the upper deck seating, particularly at the price point the respective seats are being sold at. 

15 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I hate to make everything about Snyder. No  I don't.

Basic business principle. Look at the outcome. If it is what you want, keep doing it. If it is not working, do something different,.

Given that he continues to do the same thing, it tells me he is getting the outcome he wants. Ergo, he wants to make money, not win.

Case closed.

8 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

I hate to make everything about Snyder. No  don't.

Basic business principle. Look at the outcome. If it is what you want, keep doing it. If it is not working, do something different,.

Given that he continues to do the same thing, it tells me he is getting the outcome he wants. Ergo, he wants to make money, not win.

Case closed.

In a purely rational world, that'd be true. We're talking about the Redskins here, though....

NFL teams aren't immune from the laws of supply and demand. If Snyder wants to build demand for his in-stadium product, he needs to either increase product quality or reduce prices to better reflect the current slapdash version.

The reality is that Snyder is a free rider. He gets an equal share of TV and official merch revenue without contributing any value towards said revenue. The Redskins are a nonentity in terms of league revenue; they're the east coast version of the Cardinals.

16 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

512.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine you will see many more pro sports franchises start to do this since the Falcons have proven it works financially. Redskins need to do it, not like I eat inside FedEx, but they need to find any way to get fans to games.

Bottom line tho like others have mentioned, they gotta win.

On 2/4/2019 at 3:57 PM, Howie411 said:

I'd love to see this happen at Fedex Field, it was sort of a start with the up to 50% discount for season ticket holders.  But in reality the food was still pretty expensive.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mercedes-benz-stadium-5-beers-and-2-hot-dogs-why-mercedes-benz-stadiums-radical-pricing-worked/

Two key points as someone who is somewhat involved in stadium concessions: 

1.) Arthur Blank, for the Falcons and his soccer team, is taking all of the risk of food service.  They aren't contracting out to Aramark, Sodexo, Delmarva North or any other concession company.  They've eliminated the middle man, and take all responsibility for hiring and training workers, managing food and inventory, cost, etc.  Most teams don't want to bother with this, instead paying the companies I mentioned above to do it for them.  This in turn, has allowed them to charge the cheaper prices and do things that you don't normally see at stadiums. 

2.) The big thing mentioned in the video was increasing speed of service.  When I subcontract my company to Sodexo for Navy Athletics events, everyone loves coming to our line because we do customer service on a daily basis at our normal location.  We push through the line of guests that no one there can rival, because it's what we do.  When you go to sports games, you have the cashiers who are volunteers (charity organizations often do this at college games) or it's a second job for them, and they just don't care to go quickly.  Moving the sodas for the guest to fill them also helps on the speed of service ticker without having to do any sort of training or retraining of the personnel.  Sure, you might lose some money on refills, but you are making that up with volume and soda is a high margin item anyway (and Coke already has a lot of high yield boxes anyway to further reduce costs.) . 

Archived