Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Sorry. I blocked out the gross negligence that is keeping an injured 3rd QB on the roster and not IR'ing him.

Hell, you could cut him, give him a juicy injury settlement and keep him on speed dial if you wanted too.

Jay desperately wants to play Colt this season. If he has his way Colt will see the field before Haskins and may even be elevated to starter without a Case injury. I think Jay sees himself in Colt. He wants to be right more than he wants to win. He sees this scrappy, weak-armed, good guy and he wants to live his football dreams through that. Now in fairness, Gruden has been right about several head scratchers. He kept Thompson on IR for three years before Chris ever really got on the field. Ryan Grant turned out to be pretty solid once they jetisoned Garcon and Jackson. He wanted Perine and McCoy to show up everyone too, but he was forced to cut Perine which is why Peterson is feeling his wrath. Gruden will be damned if he is to be proven wrong about keeping Peterson over Perine. So, he will do everything in his power to minimize Peterson's touches.

This season is about Gruden pouting.

The Steelers have always been a well run organization. They found they may be without their starting TE for a few weeks. They were able to locate a replacement on the Seahawks roster in Nick Vannett and traded for him. The Redskins knew they wanted to upgrade the position in January yet went into the season with the position unchanged. Now the fragile starter hasn't played yet and who knows if he will.

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

The Steelers have always been a well run organization. They found they may be without their starting TE for a few weeks. They were able to locate a replacement on the Seahawks roster in Nick Vannett and traded for him. The Redskins knew they wanted to upgrade the position in January yet went into the season with the position unchanged. Now the fragile starter hasn't played yet and who knows if he will.

Steelers addressed 2 of our biggest holes on this team in TE and FS. Theres a reason they're generally in the playoffs and we're eliminated after the preseason. 

5 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Did Greg coach in NY as well. I mean Collins has won a lot of games with the Giants the last few years. 🙄

I agree that spending like that on a SS wasn't the best idea, when FS is such a huge need, but I haven't seen anyone get down on Collins really.  Wish we got Fitz.

6 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Did Greg coach in NY as well. I mean Collins has won a lot of games with the Giants the last few years. 🙄

1. Don't quote images, it's against the rules and will get you in trouble with the mods.

2. I'm not even saying Collins was a great pickup.  But it wasn't in the mold of previous (from 10 years ago), over the hill, overpaid, just looking to get paid FAs.  He is extremely well respected, a young player, and filled a position of need.  is he a FS or a SS?  I think he can do some of both.  Is he being used well?  No. 

The whole "NEVER EVER SIGN ANYBODY IN FA, BUILD ONLY THROUGH THE DRAFT!" theory is just plain outdated in today's NFL. 

This is just not remotely true anymore.  You have to draft well, then you have to supplement with pieces in FA.  You need top-end talent.  

The 'Skins have tried basically 3 times in a decade to get a top-end FA.  DJax, Norman and Collins.  It's also worth noting that both DJax and Norman were signed late in the off-season, so they were opportunistic signings, not first day of FA signings like the old "gas up RedskinsOne" days.  DJax worked out really well, and they should have kept him. Norman hasn't worked out.  But he's also been coached by a bunch of idiots.  And he DID win a whole lot of games and played on a hellofa good defense in Carolina.  Then he came here and was coached by Manusky and his band of merry men and started to just stink.

Collins is about the first big-name FA signed by the 'Skins in a decade early in the FA period.   And 3 games in, coached by morons, it's impossible to tell whether it was a good or bad signing.

And it didn't prevent the 'Skins from making any other moves or filling out depth. 

The real problem with the old way was two fold:

1. They allocated the majority of their cap to very few players, and therefor had very little money to spend on depth. That's not the case now.  They have plenty of money to spend on depth.  They are also drafting a lot more players, which is positive.  

2. The players they signed were mostly older, past their prime, and not able to contribute at the level of their contracts. 

If you don't like the Collins signing, fine. Personally I think the bigger travesty was not going after Calais Campbell and instead signing the two Mc-guys, who both stunk, and neither ever produced.  Jay and Bruce came out beating their chest that they got 2 guys for the price of one.  Fiscal responsibility and all that.  In the meantime, Campbell has been a stud in Jax, and neither of the 2 JAGs the 'Skins brought in are on the team.  Granted, Calais might have stunk here because of Manusky. 

This organization has been allergic to sigh highly talented players to big contracts under Bruce Allen.  Norman is about the only mistake so far.  And the reason is that they just don't even try.  

If you're going to have a winning franchise, you need to draft well, and then you need to sign some high-talent FAs to fill out the roster.  We're drafting better.  The FAs are non-existent.  And the coaching is just atrocious.  Hence, 0-3.  

On 9/23/2019 at 4:35 PM, PartyPosse said:

This has been Kerrigan basically since he was drafted. It's not a manusky thing, that's just Ryan's game. It's maddeningly frustrating. He's invisible for so much of the time and just when you're pretty much ready to toss him to the curb he has a monster drive or even game that forces you to reconsider. Wash Rinse Repeat.

Kerrigan is pretty consistent.  He's never had a season that was worse than above average, he was legitimately good in 2016 and 2018, and he was one of the best players at his position in 2017.

I don't get the negative fixation with Kerrigan that's going on right now.  He's been a rock for us for 8 seasons and he's got a team friendly contract.  He's one of the only guys that's slumping that we can count on to bounce back.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I agree that spending like that on a SS wasn't the best idea, when FS is such a huge need, but I haven't seen anyone get down on Collins really.  Wish we got Fitz.

In a vacuum, I wouldn't spend what we did on any safety unless it's a HoF caliber impact player that covers and plays the ball like a corner.  But if we're going to burn up money on the position, then I would rather spend it on a box safety like Collins than a deep safety.  The position is so much more impactful as they can basically serve as an extra stack linebacker.  I'm not paying 10+ million a year for a guy to run around in a deep shell.  I can get a Montae Nicholson type to do that.

I'm also not going to give up a potential top five pick to get Minkah Fitzpatrick.  That trade has a real chance to end up haunting the Steelers.  And for us, it could very well have meant losing our shot at a far more valuable corner prospect (Okudah) or DPOY caliber edge rusher (Chase Young) or the second coming of Trent (Andrew Thomas).  No way in Hell I give that up for any safety or slot corner.  Those are franchise cornerstone type players.

Collins has played pretty well for us so far, and he demonstrated fringe All Pro level play in 2016 and 2017, when things were clicking for him and his defense.  Plus he's got leadership qualities.  His contract was too expensive and I was against the signing when it happened, but I've come around on it since then because we really don't have anyone else to spend the money on right now.  We've become so drained of talent from the 2012-2016 classes that Scherff is the only expensive contract worth retaining that we have left.  You don't get to roll over cap space so you might as well front load a contract for a guy like Collins.  Especially since there aren't going to be many outside free agents with All Pro-type upside that specifically want to play for us.

@stevemcqueen1 I've gotta disagree. If you have an earl Thomas, then a one sided safety like Cam and a couple big physical CBs that play aggressive can work. When you've sacrificed speed for strength and have a monte Nicholson at FS, players like Djax will easily get behind and Wittens get through the high middle. It's been one of the biggest holes in the defense since long before D.Hall tried FS. 

I'm not saying to give up a top 5 pick for a Fitz, but I'd consider it depending who else was there and hes definitely not making it to 10 past me. If we had a 2nd rounder, which is essentially a 1rst for us, I'd have thrown it at Miami. 

The way our secondary is set up, it needs a single high outfielder or it doesn't work. 

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I have no idea what to do about our coaching staff.

I am not as down on Jay as some but don't really care if he goes either.  My fear is who do they replace him with and are we doing another reboot -- new system, new players who fit it on and on.

But Manusky isn't looking good.  the fact that thus far at least some of our discarded players on defense are killing it elsewhere isn't a good look. 

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm not saying to give up a top 5 pick for a Fitz, but I'd consider it depending who else was there and hes definitely not making it to 10 past me. If we had a 2nd rounder, which is essentially a 1rst for us, I'd have thrown it at Miami. 

The Steelers gave up a first though.  A second wouldn't have gotten it done.  And that Steelers pick might end up being very high and it came on the heels of already investing a first round pick in Terrell Edmunds.  That offense is bad and Roethlisberger is probably going to be done soon.  That trade could end up costing them the opportunity to get a high end replacement like Tua Tagavailoa or Justin Herbert.

Earl Thomas is a singular player at the position and he actually played corner at Texas.  His coverage talent is unique.  Short of a HoF-bound guy like that, the position isn't really worth investing a ton of money or high picks in.  And to be fair to our deep safeties, Montae did run a 4.42 and Apke ran a 4.34.  Even fast guys like them don't have to be that expensive.

Mainly I just need someone who is smart and disciplined back there.  That plus proper play-calling is how you don't get burned up by the deep threats of the league when they come into your responsibility.  It's a much, much harder responsibility for the corners the majority of the time, which is why I need better players there.  I can just play my deep safety in a single high or cover 2 deep shell on most pass downs and just clean up anything out of the alleys so long as I've got three corners and a box safety that can give me what I need in the run defense.

We've got the box safety.  What we need now are corners who are legit.  Instead our corners have been baaad.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The whole "NEVER EVER SIGN ANYBODY IN FA, BUILD ONLY THROUGH THE DRAFT!" theory is just plain outdated in today's NFL. 

I have no problems with the Collins signing but I think for me it’s the delusion that Bruce has that we’re always “close” to being legit contenders when in reality we haven’t been in a long time. It’s the continual belief that we’re always just one or two pieces away and hence why we go after guys like Norman. Those types of moves should be made by teams on the rise and looking for something or someone to put them over the top. For us it’s the difference of going like 7-9 instead of say 6-10. It serves no purpose and we waste prime years of some of these Marquee FA because we’re so directionless. I do believe you build through the draft and use FA to fill in pieces once you’ve legitimately put together a contending roster on the cusp of greatness. We’ve reeked of mediocrity for years with no upwards trajectory. 

Green Bay is thanking the Skins for letting Preston Smith go into free agency.   Smith was just named NFC Defensive Player of the Week with 3 sacks and one forced fumble in the last game.   For many years we have seen former Skins players do better when they leave our franchise.  Tells me our coaches are not that good at coaching up our players.

I pounded the table we kept Preston Smith and got laughed at... I completely 100% agree his lack of production was because of coaching staff but I knew I seen a gem in Preston Smith

2 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Green Bay is thanking the Skins for letting Preston Smith go into free agency.   Smith was just named NFC Defensive Player of the Week with 3 sacks and one forced fumble in the last game.   For many years we have seen former Skins players do better when they leave our franchise.  Tells me our coaches are not that good at coaching up our players.

Yeah but we did see games Preston Smith did have three sacks and forced fumbles... this team is stupid as hell for not listening to me

2 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

I pounded the table we kept Preston Smith and got laughed at... I completely 100% agree his lack of production was because of coaching staff but I knew I seen a gem in Preston Smith

Yeah but we did see games Preston Smith did have three sacks and forced fumbles... this team is stupid as hell for not listening to me

Here's the thing, though...

The coaches here are the same coaches that have been here. He wouldn't look the same here as he does in Green Bay. So we'd have another high paid player that we're all ragging on if we signed him.

They did the right thing with Smith.

They've done the wrong thing with the staff/FO for years, though.

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Here's the thing, though...

The coaches here are the same coaches that have been here. He wouldn't look the same here as he does in Green Bay. So we'd have another high paid player that we're all ragging on if we signed him.

They did the right thing with Smith.

They've done the wrong thing with the staff/FO for years, though.

Excellent points here.. I guess just as long as everyone else I cringe seeing these other players having success after being here I mean good for them and all but you know what I'm saying

On 3/21/2019 at 9:31 AM, goskins10 said:

Can you show me the games you have been watching? Clearing we are not watching the same ones. 

Williams - Has definitely had injury problems I agree. I advocated trading him last yr. Having said that, even with him slipping, he is still a top 5 LT. 

Moses - He is anything but garbage. This is gross exaggeration. He has been playing through a lot of injuries but when in has at least average if not above average. 

Lauvao - This is the one that I had to read twice - At no point in the last few seasons has he been average. He gets trucked on a regular basis. May be the worst player on the team Oline or not.  

Scherff - Just above average? Good grief this guy is a ****ing beast. Easily in the top 5 of Gs in the NFL. 

Roullier - Not really enough of a sample to tell. But he did OK when in. 

They have struggled with run blocking until they had a RB that could hit holes. Much has been published that the much maligned run blocking of the skins has been largely due to poor RBs. Last yr they had a better back until he got injured and they regressed. Coincidence? Me thinks not. 

eat crow much?

1 hour ago, oraphus said:

eat crow much?

Not at all.  Every statement was/is true.  This is a new season.  Moses has struggled for sure but the last few years he has been what I said. Average.  Scherff is still an excellent G. Williams is not in the line up which clearly impacts the entire line.  And I said I advocated trading last season and I did again this season before his hold out. Had they done what I said we would have his replacement already. lauvao  is gone as I suggested. It was speaking to where they were at that time and it looks like I was 100% correct. 

I love people who scour old posts trying to find some nugget in a petty effort to catch people on because most times it’s still them that is wrong.  Thanks for proving that again. 

Archived