Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

25 minutes ago, nuposse87 said:

Kerrigan can't regularly beat opposing RTs.. I'm not sure what is "team friendly"about this contract when he is a pretty mediocre as a every down linemen. What he has done in the past is meaningless now.

Kerrigan is the 21st highest paid Edge rusher. He was 11th in sacks last year. Pretty fair price. If he was "regularly" beating RTs he would be making Von Miller/Khalil Mack money, because those are the guys that "regularly" beat guys. If you let him go, you replace him with what exactly? Preston Smith for more money? 

3 minutes ago, dballer said:

Kerrigan is the 21st highest paid Edge rusher. He was 11th in sacks last year. Pretty fair price. If he was "regularly" beating RTs he would be making Von Miller/Khalil Mack money, because those are the guys that "regularly" beat guys. If you let him go, you replace him with what exactly? Preston Smith for more money? 

Sacks aren't the only thing that determine whether an edge rusher is worth their pay. His sack numbers are easier to accrue playing against RTs. (Maybe one of the reasons Preston Smith is showing out well this year). Getting QB pressure regularly would make me think higher of him. Kerrigan is an all or nothing player. Either he makes a highlight play or you don't notice him. He's basically made one play worth a damn this season. Oh, and he's pretty unbearable against the Run...

A lot of this could be Manusky not using him right...and everyone else this season... but that doesn't absolve Kerrigan from a horrible start this season. His efficacy and the rest of the D-line's efficacy cannot be tied to J. Allen...that is really damning. 

11 minutes ago, nuposse87 said:

A lot of this could be Manusky not using him right...and everyone else this season... but that doesn't absolve Kerrigan from a horrible start this season. His efficacy and the rest of the D-line's efficacy cannot be tied to J. Allen...that is really damning. 

This has been Kerrigan basically since he was drafted. It's not a manusky thing, that's just Ryan's game. It's maddeningly frustrating. He's invisible for so much of the time and just when you're pretty much ready to toss him to the curb he has a monster drive or even game that forces you to reconsider. Wash Rinse Repeat.

1 hour ago, nuposse87 said:

Kerrigan can't regularly beat opposing RTs.. I'm not sure what is "team friendly"about this contract when he is a pretty mediocre as a every down linemen.

Washington: Ryan Kerrigan, Defensive End

Contract: Five years for $57.5 million (signed 2015)
The fine print: $24 million over the first two years followed by team options in 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020
Total guaranteed at signing: $23.8 million (18th among edge defenders)
Average annual value: $11.5 million (tied for 26th among edge defenders)
2019 salary and bonuses: $10.8 million (tied for 26th among edge defenders)

Remember this for your next trivia night. Since 2014, Von Miller has the most sacks in the NFL. Ryan Kerrigan—yes, Ryan Kerrigan—is second. We’re conditioned to believe sacks lead to paydays, but while Kerrigan has the second-most sacks in the past five years, he is the 55th-highest-paid defender in football, while six of the top eight are among the league’s highest-paid players.

Sack Leaders Since 2014 vs. Average Annual Salary in 2019

Player Games Sacks Sacks Average Salary (Average Annual Salary Ranked Among Defenders)
Von Miller 80 80 63 $19 million (fifth)
Ryan Kerrigan 80 80 60 $11.5 million (55th)
Aaron Donald 78 74 59.5 $22.5 million (second)
Chandler Jones 73 71 59.5 $16.5 million (tied-14th)
J.J. Watt 56 56 55.5 $16.7 million (12th)
Khalil Mack 78 77 53 $23.5 million (first)
Justin Houston 59 59 52 $12 million (51st)
Cameron Jordan 80 80 50 $17.5 million (seventh)

Kerrigan has never had 14 sacks in a season, but he’s also never had fewer than 8.5 since his rookie year, and he hasn’t missed a game in his eight-year career.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/7/16/20695613/drew-brees-julio-jones-underpaid-veterans

5 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Because he's a team captain, leads the team in sacks every season, is 2nd all time on the team for total sacks, is widely respected, and is always healthy. The theory is that if we ditch him, other expensive players on our team will see how little respect the team has for them and will want to leave, which will free up even more cap space.

Damn it. Touche.

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

This has been Kerrigan basically since he was drafted. It's not a manusky thing, that's just Ryan's game. It's maddeningly frustrating. He's invisible for so much of the time and just when you're pretty much ready to toss him to the curb he has a monster drive or even game that forces you to reconsider. Wash Rinse Repeat.

I somehow doubt Manusky tells him to constantly over run every boot, play fake and misdirection. 

7 hours ago, nuposse87 said:

Thats cute, doesn't mean he's worth being what he's paid. How'd yah boi tonight? Bum ass can barely tackle a RB. 

That's exactly what it means.   At this point I'm convinced this defense could marginalize Khalil Mack if they had him.  But don't let me stop you from your witch hunt.  Look at P. Smith and Clinton-Dix.  How have both of them made more plays in three games in new environments, than they made last season? 

14 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

He's a SS and not worth the money we paid him. Another overpaid player by the Skins. Only thing different this time is he's young. 

That’s your opinion.  I’m not going to judge until there is a reasonable defensive scheme.  

They probably did overpay.  But so what?  They still have 15 mil of cap space available.  

26 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That’s your opinion.  I’m not going to judge until there is a reasonable defensive scheme.  

They probably did overpay.  But so what?  They still have 15 mil of cap space available.  

Great 15 million that gets you one elite player and 2 decent to good players. Like I said this team needs offensive line help and secondary help. Yet we have 2 of the highest paid players in the NFL in our secondary and it still sucks. 

On 9/24/2019 at 12:40 PM, desertbeagle85 said:

He's a SS and not worth the money we paid him. Another overpaid player by the Skins. Only thing different this time is he's young. 

All free agents are overpaid. It's the nature of the system. So anyone who signed him was going to over pay. But as for doing his, job Collins has been advertised. He has done the job he was brought here to do unless people are looking for some miracle worker. He is doing a very good job at SS. The rest of secondary and more importantly the scheme is a ****ing joke. The talent that's on the line is too good to not be getting more pressure. I do not think it's the players as much as the scheme. We are very predictable both offensively and defensively. How many 3rd and longs are we going to rush 3 or 4? Good grief man dial up some pressure! 

The proper argument is, was SS the right piece. My thought is yes but you also needed to address FS. And i would have addressed FS first then probably not been able to get Collins as he would have been out of our price range.  So ultimately if it were me I would have not ended up with Collins. But that does not mean he cannot be part of the rebuilding. 

At this point we have a lame duck management staff. I would not spend another dime on FAs outside cheap placeholders until a new regime comes in and makes their own evaluations and determines what is needed. 

Many of us have been screaming for a true FS for years. So it's a valid concern. But since they dumped DJ (a questionable move to say the least), they had to do something. 

The pattern is Bruce seems to be a year behind this whole process and then tries to go big at a single position to make it all work. I do believe that he honestly believes they are just "this" close! Just this one player away. It's a fools errand but he has to believe that. It's that only way his approach to Free Agents makes any sense (meaning it makes no sense). 

55 minutes ago, carex said:

Skins cut Ty McGill, freeing up a roster spot.

Wonder where it'll go.  I think maybe they sign Luke Wilson since he was in Oakland, or maybe some interior OL help since apparently the entire bunch of them got dinged last night

Be prepared for it to be McCoy

Archived