Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

I wouldn't give up what could end up being a high first for any DB. Especially not a safety and slot defender.  That is QB and elite lineman territory.

 

And we are very much in need of an elite OT ... even if Trent comes back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

And we are very much in need of an elite OT ... even if Trent comes back.

 

Well we need a body who can be reliable and start early.  If he ends up being elite, so much the better.

 

I'm of a mind that the price of left tackles is a market inefficiency and psychologically inflated.  The opposition's on field value isn't actually much higher than guard.  Shotgun heavy personnel have drastically decreased the difficulty of their protection assignments and it's easier to cover a tackle up with a tight end than a guard up with a running back.  And the rise of A and B gap rushers coupled with the fact that pocket passers can't operate at all against interior pressure unlike their ability to cut off rush angles with disciplined movement and negate the edge rush has made guard play more valuable.  Which is why I'm good with keeping Scherff no matter the price.

 

OTs really distinguish themselves in the run game IMO, and getting a real ass kicker at tackle would be awesome.  But I think we can thrive with just a reliable body, especially if we keep Scherff, get a good LG and/or tight end(s).  However, we're still going to have to draft such a player.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

I wouldn't give up what could end up being a high first for any DB. Especially not a safety and slot defender.  That is QB and elite lineman territory.

 

it might even end up a top 10 pick.  I love Fizpatrick but I wouldn't trade a first right now.   I would trade a 2nd if I had a 2nd.  But hoping somehow Trent could be incorporated in a 3 way trade or something where I'd want him and a pick too.  But probably it's unlikely.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s see if the Bama guys on roster can get Fitzpatrick to list Skins stop places he’s willing to go. 

 

Have to imagine some backdoor discussions are taking place between these guys. I can’t blame them, if Fitz has rapport with Bama guys on roster, that’d be a unique opportunity for them all to play together. 

 

Not sure how it would workout though from a compensation standpoint. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Let’s see if the Bama guys can on roster can get Fitzpatrick to list Skins stop places he’s willing to go. 

 

Have to imagine some backdoor discussions are taking place between these guys. I can’t blame them, if Fitz has rapport with Bama guys on roster, that’d be a unique opportunity for them all to play together. 

 

Not sure how it would workout though from a compensation standpoint. 

 

The more I digest it, Fitzpatrick is almost perfect for this roster.  Aside from the Alabama chemistry thing, he is an elite slot corner and he can fill in whenever needed for injury prone Nicholson at FS.  He's the perfect nickel player.  That's today's NFL. 

 

Plus Manusky seems to like doing inverted coverages where the safeties and cornerback interchange their roles to in theory fool opposing QBs.  Fitzpatrick would actually be good at it versus our current players who seem like lost puppies at times on that front and blame it on "communication issues".

 

 

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

The more I digest it, Fitzpatrick is almost perfect for this roster.  Aside from the Alabama chemistry thing, he is an elite slot corner and he can fill in whenever needed for injury prone Nicholson at FS.  He's the perfect nickel player.  That's today's NFL. 

 

Plus Manusky seems to like doing inverted coverages where the safeties and cornerback interchange their roles to in theory fool opposing QBs.  Fitzpatrick would actually be good at it versus our current players who seem like lost puppies at times on that front and blame it on "communication issues"

 

 

I can’t go to in depth with my analysis of Fitz, due to never watching the dude play,  but scouting reports, pedigree, rookie salary, and the potential Bama connection (this isn’t a guarantee, who knows if he has an issue with one the Bama guys on roster making it less appealing). 

 

I did hear he didn’t like being used as a switz army type player and that being part of reason wanting to leave. I agree though, having a top tier athlete operating as the slot corner in the box sounds extremely appealing. 

 

There will be no shortage of suitors. I’m hopeful with today’s athlete, the Bama connection is a driving force to him putting Skins atop the list of destination spots hes willing to play at. Today’s player takes pride in controlling their narrative... we’ll see. 

Edited by wit33
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wit33 said:

 

I can’t go to in depth with my analysis of Fitz, due to never watching the dude play,  but scouting reports, pedigree, rookie salary, and the potential Bama connection (this isn’t a guarantee, who knows if he has an issue with one the Bama guys on roster making it less appealing). 

 

I did hear he didn’t like being used as a Switz army type player and that being part of reason wanting to leave. I agree though, having a top tier athlete operating as the slot corner in the box sounds extremely appealing. 

 

There will be no shortage of suitors. I’m hopeful with today’s athlete, the Bama connection is a driving force to him putting Skins atop the list of destination spots Heaney willing to play at. Today’s player takes pride in controlling their narrative... we’ll see. 

 

I think the Dolphins took the swiss army part too far with playing him at LB in that mix.  And according to some close to him (from what I've read), he didn't like that they wouldn't give him a heads up as for where he'd play this season.   That kept that too vague for his taste.  Ditto I gather he doesn't like that they are on a track for some serious losing. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not getting my hopes up.  We don't have a second rounder, and I doubt Bruce is moving off his current position with Trent.  Besides, I'm more than confident that our defensive scheme would contribute to him not playing well here.  We made Clinton-Dix look like a C level player in no time flat.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PartyPosse said:

Don't trade any picks. We're gonna suck for a couple of years and if we really blow next year and potentially have the first overall in the Trevor Lawrence draft, that pick is gonna be worth a king's ransom. 

 

To hell with that... if we were that lucky, i'd be saying Dwayne who??? and welcome Mr. Lawrence...

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PartyPosse said:

Don't trade any picks. We're gonna suck for a couple of years and if we really blow next year and potentially have the first overall in the Trevor Lawrence draft, that pick is gonna be worth a king's ransom. 

 

I like Haskins' prospects and all, but if Trevor Lawrence fell into our laps I think we'd have to take him and trade Haskins.  And really if the Skins are bad enough to get the #1 overall pick in 2021 it probably means either Haskins sucks or he's injured.  Lawrence is Peyton Manning/Luck level good.  But that's a different topic for another time if it were to happen.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

Well we need a body who can be reliable and start early.  If he ends up being elite, so much the better.

 

I'm of a mind that the price of left tackles is a market inefficiency and psychologically inflated.  The opposition's on field value isn't actually much higher than guard.  Shotgun heavy personnel have drastically decreased the difficulty of their protection assignments and it's easier to cover a tackle up with a tight end than a guard up with a running back.  And the rise of A and B gap rushers coupled with the fact that pocket passers can't operate at all against interior pressure unlike their ability to cut off rush angles with disciplined movement and negate the edge rush has made guard play more valuable.  Which is why I'm good with keeping Scherff no matter the price.

 

OTs really distinguish themselves in the run game IMO, and getting a real ass kicker at tackle would be awesome.  But I think we can thrive with just a reliable body, especially if we keep Scherff, get a good LG and/or tight end(s).  However, we're still going to have to draft such a player.

 

Agree to a point. Though I would still say that having a stud at one tackle spot allows you to help out both guards and the other tackle by sliding protection away from your stud  without the need to tie up an additional eligible receiver be that a TE or a RB.

 

Andrew Thomas from Georgia is someone I would be keeping a close eye on this College season. He can play LT and RT.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MartinC said:

 

Agree to a point. Though I would still say that having a stud at one tackle spot allows you to help out both guards and the other tackle by sliding protection away from your stud  without the need to tie up an additional eligible receiver be that a TE or a RB.

 

Andrew Thomas from Georgia is someone I would be keeping a close eye on this College season. He can play LT and RT.

I'm all in on Wirfs from Iowa

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...