Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

On 5/4/2019 at 6:50 PM, Anselmheifer said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/04/bobby-wagner-preparing-like-this-is-my-last-year-in-seattle/

Too early to consider 2020 FA's? Bobby Wagner could look pretty good in Burgundy and Gold. Jerry Jeudy, Bobby Wagner, a FS and a CB1, a second year Haskins, and we are rolling! 

He'll be 29 in June, so if he became an FA and we signed him we'd probably be making him one of the highest paid ILBs who just turned 30. 

He's been extremely consistent, but IMO where ever Wagner goes the team that signs him will be paying for past accomplishments, not future production. 

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Saw this tweet that John posted.  Kind of disturbing to go with what we got but wouldn't surprised if the starting FS is not on our team yet but will be come opening game.

5 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Seattle cleared space to keep Wagner. He will retire a Seahawk. 

Link? I just saw a PFT article saying that Wagner was prepared to play elsewhere. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/04/bobby-wagner-preparing-like-this-is-my-last-year-in-seattle/

I know he is older, but a 30 year old Wagner probably has 3 very good to elite years left. Paired with Foster, behind our DL, with a couple of other pieces, meaning a FS and CB1, we could be talking about an all time great defense, IMHO. Haskins will be in his second year at that point and Guice and Love will be healthy. If we can also draft an elite receiver next year, it seems like a potential perfect storm of two years of excellent draft crops maturing and the timely signing of some FA.

8 hours ago, RWJ said:

Saw this tweet that John posted.  Kind of disturbing to go with what we got but wouldn't surprised if the starting FS is not on our team yet but will be come opening game.

I've seen a lot of chatter about moving DRC back there to compete with Montae but also that Adonis is better suited as a safety then CB so he could be another guy. 

However, they really do need to get another one in FA today!  LOL

Everyone can stop dreaming of Bobby Wagner. the team has no money. They spent their collective FA money on Collins. Alex Smith contract is devastating to the CAP. There is just no money to get Wagner. He would have to come here free. It's clear he wants a big payday. 

And yes, the team restructure a bunch of deals and get the money if they really really wanted to. But is this really what you want? That would leave the team even more CAP strapped. Maybe if you really thought Wagner was that missing piece for a championship - but this team is not anywhere near there. 

No more shiny new expensive toys for this team. What you see is what you get I believe. 

5 minutes ago, arftech said:

Repeat this several times...There Is No Money To Sign Wagner!

Hail Em Up!

but... they made her better than she was before. Better. Stronger. Faster. With our injury history can we really afford to look down on bionic players? Even if they cost six million dollars?

Image result for bionic woman

4 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Everyone can stop dreaming of Bobby Wagner. the team has no money. They spent their collective FA money on Collins. Alex Smith contract is devastating to the CAP. There is just no money to get Wagner. He would have to come here free. It's clear he wants a big payday. 

And yes, the team restructure a bunch of deals and get the money if they really really wanted to. But is this really what you want? That would leave the team even more CAP strapped. Maybe if you really thought Wagner was that missing piece for a championship - but this team is not anywhere near there. 

No more shiny new expensive toys for this team. What you see is what you get I believe. 

The team has plenty of money/cap space if required. Norman,Trent and Kerrigan count a collective 45mil against the cap next year. Something like that anyway. Plus the Smith insurance situation to unfold. 

We were in the race for CJ Mosley before finally dropping out to the Jets. Both he and Collins were our converted FAs.

Lots of options moving forward without being financially irresponsible.

9 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

The team has plenty of money/cap space if required. Norman,Trent and Kerrigan count a collective 45mil against the cap next year. Something like that anyway. Plus the Smith insurance situation to unfold. 

We were in the race for CJ Mosley before finally dropping out to the Jets. Both he and Collins were our converted FAs.

First, I addressed this line of thinking at the start and why it's flawed. But here it is again with a little more detail - Yes, they can get the money if they really want to - assuming those guys will restructure. But is that really the best way to build the team? Sell out most of your flexibility for one guy when you are a still highly flawed team with major holes to fill - or at the very least that are at least major questions to be answered? Not to mention you have contracts coming up for other guys. It will take money to do so.

I have no idea what you are talking about in terms of Alex Smith insurance. Are you saying there is an insurance policy to reduce the CAP? If it's a personal insurance policy, are you hoping he decides to retire? I guess he could but why? Out of the kindness of his heart? He would be an idiot to do so.

Regardless of Alex, If they start restricting a bunch of deals to get one guy it's incredibly irresponsible.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:06 AM, Califan007 said:

Does anyone think, with the roster we currently have now, that coaching the Redskins might be a more attractive option should we be in the market again in January?

By all accounts, we had a good draft. But so did lots of teams. Everyone thinks they got better.  The question, is: did we get "more better" than others? Hard to say. 

4 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

By all accounts, we had a good draft. But so did lots of teams. Everyone thinks they got better.  The question, is: did we get "more better" than others. Hard to say. 

The correct term is more betterer. Learn English!!!!!!! or whatever it is we speaks.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Norman will be gone. Barring a major injury, which could happen with Trent, Trent Williams and Ryan Kerrigan aren't going anywhere. Kerrigan is still super productive and is never injured. 

21 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Norman will be gone. Barring a major injury, which could happen with Trent, Trent Williams and Ryan Kerrigan aren't going anywhere. Kerrigan is still super productive and is never injured. 

Correct, I agree.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

First, I addressed this line of thinking at the start and why it's flawed. But here it is again with a little more detail - Yes, they can get the money if they really want to - assuming those guys will restructure. But is that really the best way to build the team? Sell out most of your flexibility for one guy when you are a still highly flawed team with major holes to fill - or at the very least that are at least major questions to be answered? Not to mention you have contracts coming up for other guys. It will take money to do so.

I have no idea what you are talking about in terms of Alex Smith insurance. Are you saying there is an insurance policy to reduce the CAP? If it's a personal insurance policy, are you hoping he decides to retire? I guess he could but why? Out of the kindness of his heart? He would be an idiot to do so.

Regardless of Alex, If they start restricting a bunch of deals to get one guy it's incredibly irresponsible.

No need to add more detail, what is flawed exactly?  Norman will be gone. We are loaded with rookie contracts in the short-medium term. Yes, there is also a 12mil insurance write back for Smith, reportedly, depending on his circumstances over the coming year.

Who would mess around with a bunch of deals? Not me. Have you seen the cap hit on Collins deal in year one, plus the expiring CBA. How many of our pending 2020 FA are you desperate to hold onto? Look at the list once we sort Scherff out (which will REDUCE his near term cap hit).

As I stated, lots of options moving forward, neither flawed nor financially irresponsible. This team could/will add ONE top end FA next offseason. That could be Wagner, it could be someone else, but we have capacity. Working the numbers is a piece of piss. 

No need to add more detail, what is flawed exactly?  Norman will be gone. We are loaded with rookie contracts in the short-medium term. Yes, there is also a 12mil insurance write back for Smith, reportedly, depending on his circumstances over the coming year.

Who would mess around with a bunch of deals? Not me. Have you seen the cap hit on Collins deal in year one, plus the expiring CBA. How many of our pending 2020 FA are you desperate to hold onto? Look at the list once we sort Scherff out (which will REDUCE his near term cap hit).

As I stated, lots of options moving forward, neither flawed nor financially irresponsible. This team could/will add ONE top end FA next offseason. That could be Wagner, it could be someone else, but we have capacity. Working the numbers is a piece of piss. 

Let me start with I was unaware of the rumors about this $12M insurance policy. It did not change my mind, but it did force me to research it. So I appreciate that. To that end, even if they can collect the $12M in CAP relief, it will not be a lump sum. It will spread over several years - at least that's my understanding. And there are serious questions on if they can even collect. So this cannot be used as part of the justification until it's guaranteed.  

Overall I disagree with you about restructuring contracts to sign FAs. I believe it's fundamentally irresponsible to go after an over 30 player by renegotiating current player contracts. I highlighted why. It's all short term thinking not long term. Now if they can fit him in without renegotiating contracts like they did Collins, then I have less of a problem with it. Still would prefer they show some restraint on a player on the wrong end of their prime. 

6 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Overall I disagree with you about restructuring contracts to sign FAs.

I haven't suggested we should do that. Release someone on an overinflated deal yes, ask someone to renegotiate down their terms to match their value/production, but not to restructure money out simply to facilitate another FA move. I don't promote that either.

You originally stated we have 'no money' left. I just don't think that is true. If the Jets hadn't pushed the boundary too far, we'd have CJ Mosley on board.

A long term deal for Scherff will create circa 4mil in cap space this year alone. There really are numerous ways to debunk the notion we have 'no money' left.

Plus we have an expired CBA on the horizon. I will leave it at that.

I haven't suggested we should do that. Release someone on an overinflated deal yes, ask someone to renegotiate down their terms to match their value/production, but not to restructure money out simply to facilitate another FA move. I don't promote that either.

You originally stated we have 'no money' left. I just don't think that is true. If the Jets hadn't pushed the boundary too far, we'd have CJ Mosley on board.

A long term deal for Scherff will create circa 4mil in cap space this year alone. There really are numerous ways to debunk the notion we have 'no money' left.

Plus we have an expired CBA on the horizon. I will leave it at that.

Ok one last tine. My first sentence was no money. But then I immediately said yes you could restructure some contracts if they really wanted him but I think that’s wrong.  Then you come along with.  Well they could restructure some contracts which I think is wrong so to me in effect they have no money. 

26 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Ok one last tine. My first sentence was no money. But then I immediately said yes you could restructure some contracts if they really wanted him but I think that’s wrong.  Then you come along with.  Well they could restructure some contracts which I think is wrong so to me in effect they have no money. 

What are you talking about? Who am I suggesting we 'restructure'? Or are you suggesting we should pay Norman 15mil or so next year, or that we shouldn't extend Scherff? Or that we shouldn't cut Davis to save 5mil. Or that expending over 16mil in cap space on an average TE crop that can't block is ok. Because to change any of that is 'wrong'.

You said no money and that is wrong. Plain and simple. Your original statement was exaggerated for effect. We don't need to do a bunch of anything. We could make one or two justified moves from both a football and cap management perspective without compromise.

I know from past experience that you aren't interested in moving from your original statement under discussion though, so I'm sure you are correct, we have no money :nono:

Archived