Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Oops sorry see someone beat me to this

Exactly and that's what I figured that Skins were trying to trade these players rather than release them.  Release them; get the money and sign Mosely and Collins; forget about Ha Ha.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Oops sorry see someone beat me to this

This is a repeat of what Tampa just did with Desean Jackson. Try to get something for them and then just cut bait when you can't. 

Also, Allen, Payne, Ioannidis, Foster, CJ Mosely and Landon Collins would make for a really tough, hard nosed defense. If we could cover and find a speed rusher, we would be a tough out for about anybody. 

I think that given the Alabama connection and the solid level of talent on defense, if we can land one of them, it only gives recruiting momentum to help land the other. 

If rumors are true that a dozen teams are competing for Preston Smith.  HaHa and Crowder also have surprising interest.  Then I don't want to do anything to screw up getting compensatory draft picks back.

If certain players were available I might change my mind, such as CJ Mosley, but apparently he's looking to not just beat the salary of the #1 LB (Luke Kuechly), but shatter it.  That's a lot of money.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Allen is a joke.  Release these guys!  Only players you might be able to trade is Norman or Reed and that's probably a big no go to.  Allen wants a dollar for a penny.

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

Also, Allen, Payne, Ioannidis, Foster, CJ Mosely and Landon Collins would make for a really tough, hard nosed defense. If we could cover and find a speed rusher, we would be a tough out for about anybody. 

I think that given the Alabama connection and the solid level of talent on defense, if we can land one of them, it only gives recruiting momentum to help land the other. 

The defense would be exceptional against the run.  But poor against the pass.  Since most teams predominantly use a Slot WR on majority of plays, it's hard to build a D around stopping the run.

Mosley's supposed to be "OK" in coverage, and Collins is pretty good in flats/under zones but can't do Man or Cover 2.  Seems like we're schematically susceptible to quality coaching.  That defense would still get picked apart like crazy by Drew Brees.

I don't like the idea of adding both Mosely and Collins.

Just now, Alcoholic Zebra said:

The defense would be exceptional against the run.  But poor against the pass.  Since most teams predominantly use a Slot WR on majority of plays, it's hard to build a D around stopping the run.

Mosley's supposed to be "OK" in coverage, and Collins is pretty good in flats/under zones but can't do Man or Cover 2.  Seems like we're schematically susceptible to quality coaching.  That defense would still get picked apart like crazy by Drew Brees.

I don't like the idea of adding both Mosely and Collins.

It sounds like Collins is the objectionable part for you. Mosely and Foster are both good vs the pass. There is room for a more traditional SS in the league, if you can find someone to cover the back end. The Seahawks demonstrated this with the lesion of boom. That being said, I also would love a defense suited for the more modern passing era. We need a speed rusher opposite Kerrigan and better coverage from the LB's and secondary. 

Just now, Alcoholic Zebra said:

He wasn't rated favorably.  He played poorly enough that he lost his starting job.

by PFF he was rated favorably. Main problem is he doesn't call plays plus he and Mason Foster were calling out coaching staff...

I could see Mason Foster headed back to Tampa Bay.

Kwon was one of my targets... underrated player. Hope he's 100% from his injury. 

Jets are not going to re-sign CB Morris Claiborne.

_________________________________________________________________________________

problem with Brown is even if he's traded, its going to cost us $3m in dead money - freeing up $5.75m in cap money

With M. Foster, only $250,000 in dead money - freeing up $4m in cap space

1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

by PFF he was rated favorably. Main problem is he doesn't call plays plus he and Mason Foster were calling out coaching staff...

I could see Mason Foster headed back to Tampa Bay.

PFF doesn't know playcalls, assignments, and their film review is subjective and outsourced to people without any knowledge.   You have 3 guys giving different grades for 1 play who don't know football.  Those are averaged and then the grades are supposedly then reviewed by someone with knowledge, but again, the issues mentioned before are still there.

If he was actually playing at the level that PFF thinks he was, then why was he benched?  Why were coaches angry at him for missing reads/assignments?

2 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I was wondering the same thing.  I'm sure Ryan will want to retain him bc he has seen firsthand what he can do.  The key is whether ZB wants to be here or not.  I know he said some negative things in the press last year, and we need to get rid of the malcontents who aren't buying in.  

WELP, looks like i was wrong.  We're holding onto to them instead of releasing them because we have some obscure notion we can trade them... 

6 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

It sounds like Collins is the objectionable part for you. Mosely and Foster are both good vs the pass. There is room for a more traditional SS in the league, if you can find someone to cover the back end. The Seahawks demonstrated this with the lesion of boom. That being said, I also would love a defense suited for the more modern passing era. We need a speed rusher opposite Kerrigan and better coverage from the LB's and secondary. 

Yup, I agree with your thoughts.

I like Collins, but I think it's hard to justify paying a Safety that's scheme/personnel limited a lot of money.  If he was in that Seattle style defense with ET behind him, he'd be better than Kam Chancellor.  Safety is the one position on the defense that most NFL teams don't put much money towards and view it as more expendable.  I'd rather draft several safeties in the 2nd round this year than spend big money on Collins.

We definitely need a speed rusher.  With how much talent we've been adding to the IDL (Allen, Payne, Ioannidis), we need that speed guy to stop the QB's ability to back pedal against interior push.

54 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Damn, we need two starting safeties... DJax used to burn us all over the field. He will be an Eagle again by Wednesday.

Adrian Amos, please!

There are a lot of intriguing options at safety.  I hope the skins identify the ones that they want, and the list will have quite a few options.  Then sit back and let the ones who get signed these next two days get overpaid, removing several teams from the safety market, then we negotiate with the remaining ones.  Adrian Amos is one I hope they target.  He won't get top dollar like Thomas or Collins, but he would be a nice upgrade for us.  The contracts that will be given out this week are ridiculous, and good teams are not built by giving non elite players elite level money.  I know we are devoid of elite talent, but overpaying players is not the way to do it, but I fear they may this year in a desperate attempt to save their jobs.  It will only set us even further back.

Case in point, the raiders just made Trent brown the highest paid OL in NFL history.  Ridiculous.

18 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I would think there will be a market for Zach Brown... he's one of the fastest ILB's out there and was also rated favorably last year. 

His free agent market has been ice cold the last two offseasons, which is why he end up here in the first place on a one year prove-it deal and eventually re-signed last year after finding no other major takers. I think the league has spoken on his value, particularly now when he'll carry a decent sized cap hit and was benched towards the end of last season. Foster, on the other hand, is at least fairly cheap so he has that going for him.

Archived