Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

3 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Based off our most recent 7th round picks where there is a strong chance 2 of them may start at a position ( slot wr + slot corner)..., I’m going to pass on trading a 7th for Randolph. 

What are you basing this off of? Draft grades and reports? These guys haven't even got onto the field for the Skins yet. They need to make the team before starting at any position. 

Just now, desertbeagle85 said:

What are you basing this off of. Draft grades and reports. These guys haven't even got onto the field for the Skins yet. They need to make the team before starting at any position. 

Trey Quinn is the starting slot wr, and has replaced Crowder in one season. Quinton Dunbar was undrafted in 2015, and is now starting corner. Between Adonis and Moreland, I like our chances at one of them finding a quality role here. 

Eric Berry didn’t really play a strong safety or free safety imo. He roamed. He’s a playmaker, and I think we could convince him to join this defense with the talent that we have. ( with injury protection of course). He would be my top priority. As for TE: ride with Reed and Sprinkle. Maybe an undrafted guy like Kano finds a spot. 

McCoy and Davis are cap cuts. That saves over $5mil alone. Though I do still like Vernon. Maybe he restructures for a year?

24 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Does anyone know the cap situation next year. I'm sure the Smith contract doesn't help, but I'm just wondering how bad it is. 

Not great - I’m seeing 31m as of now.  

Way too early to really tell though as that doesn’t include draft picks, whether we roll money over, a possible extension for Scherff, whether we cut Norman/Reed (removing 25.5, adding 4.8 in dead cap, so probably a no brainer), etc.  

Who knows, but we’ll probably be in alright shape... I think.  

17 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

McCoy and Davis are cap cuts. That saves over $5mil alone. Though I do still like Vernon. Maybe he restructures for a year?

I highly doubt Colt gets cut after the disaster we had as of injuries last year at the QB position. The same can be said with Vernon. Reed always gets hurt where as Vernon is normally pretty healthy. No need to cut either players in my opinion. Especially for another guy that can't stay healthy (Berry).

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

Not great - I’m seeing 31m as of now.  

Way too early to really tell though as that doesn’t include draft picks, whether we roll money over, a possible extension for Scherff, whether we cut Norman/Reed (removing 25.5, adding 4.8 in dead cap, so probably a no brainer), etc.  

Who knows, but we’ll probably be in alright shape... I think.  

Hey I'm alright with alright shape could be worse. 

Colt is done, and his injury last year led to us missing the playoffs. He’s unreliable outside of a camp body. He’s still injured now and he’s 30+. Letting him go will save 3.5 mil. Sorry, but that’s a clincher. Vernon doesn’t block, and is owed a lot. It’s the nature of the business. 

Late day draft picks are necessary to provide cap space to make moves for quality free agents ( like. Collins). Randolph would need a new contract next year. That’s a waste of a late day pick unless you think you are a contender. We are in year 1 of a 2 year build around Haskins. It would be a poor decision to trade assets for aging players at this time. 

13 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

It looks like Darron Lee could be cut or available via trade. Drafted in the first round of 2016. He was 6'1" and 232 pounds and ran a 4.47 with a vertical and a 133" long jump. Is a solid coverage linebacker. Would look good in our nickel package. I'd make a phone call and see if we could get him for a mid round pick. Darron Lee for a 5th would be a steal. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/79796/darron-lee-a-goner-jets-should-think-twice-before-trading-2016-first-rounder

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/darron-lee?id=2555322

Also, just out of curiosity, I'm guessing that Tyreek Hill may be cut. If so, any takers here? He's clearly an awful person and is also a game changer. We did just claim Reuben Foster, and Adrian Peterson was out of the league for a year, for child abuse. Both cases were clearly less serious than that of Tyreek Hill, however. 

OK if Darron Lee is cut on a rookie contract how could he possibly be a solid anything?  As for Hill he will never play again so no.

On 4/30/2019 at 12:34 PM, Koolblue13 said:

Curious about Boston. I'd guess Norman can answer your questions though

Maybe he already has answered any questions the FO had about Boston, and that's why we haven't spoken with him. Just sayin....

15 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Also, just out of curiosity, I'm guessing that Tyreek Hill may be cut. If so, any takers here? He's clearly an awful person and is also a game changer. We did just claim Reuben Foster, and Adrian Peterson was out of the league for a year, for child abuse. Both cases were clearly less serious than that of Tyreek Hill, however. 

If the Chiefs cut him, I'd sign him. If he's found guilty, than we cut him. If innocent, WELCOME TO THE TEAM 🙂

If they are to cut Davis or McCoy are they better off waiting until after June 1? 

When someone they like becomes available I would think they would want to jump on signing them.

I would think Jay would like to hang onto his crush Colt.

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

If they are to cut Davis or McCoy are they better off waiting until after June 1? 

When someone they like becomes available I would think they would want to jump on signing them.

I would think Jay would like to hang onto his crush Colt.

Coaches usually crush on back up QBs who are helpful teaching new people the system and generally being reliable and dependable. 

7 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

If the Chiefs cut him, I'd sign him. If he's found guilty, than we cut him. If innocent, WELCOME TO THE TEAM 🙂

I don't know if you listened to the recordings that one of the Kansas TV stations played before the draft, but regardless of whether he's found guilty in court, he is a toxic waste dump that is many, many times worse than Rueben Foster and Adrian Peterson combined. The Chiefs know it, the NFL knows it, and everyone paying attention to it who isn't a Chiefs fan know's it. I don't want him anywhere near this team, even if the NFL doesn't suspend him for a year or more.

11 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Does anyone know the cap situation next year. I'm sure the Smith contract doesn't help, but I'm just wondering how bad it is. 

There's a good chance it will be an uncapped year due to the expiration of the CBA at the end of the 2020 season.

This means we can unload the rest of Alex's bad debt and still sign whoever we want in free agency if there will even be a free agency next year. 

At least it could let us extend some players if needed.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Does anyone think, with the roster we currently have now, that coaching the Redskins might be a more attractive option should we be in the market again in January?

For a coach that really likes Haskins, maybe.  I'm of the belief that what makes the Redskins not-so-hot to potential head coaches isn't so much the roster, but what you have to deal with in the front office.

Mccoy is the only QB that knows the system. Even if he doesn't start wk1 his experience and ability to relay that info to other QBs on the roster is invaluable this year imo. 

On the other hand Skins should approach VD for a restructure - paying 6mil to a one trick pony TE w propensity for drops is bad business. Skins can also try to address this need through FA or a trade.. again for 6mil there should be plenty of better options out there.  In either case TE will be a MAJOR need next year

37 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

For a coach that really likes Haskins, maybe.  I'm of the belief that what makes the Redskins not-so-hot to potential head coaches isn't so much the roster, but what you have to deal with in the front office.

We also have a significant infusion of young talent on defense as well.

But considering that back in January the QB roster consisted of Mccoy, a broken-down Alex Smith who by necessity needed to remain on the roster, and a bunch of air, there was little to attract any worthwhile coach if we had decided to move on from Gruden. I wonder how eager McVay would have been to take the Rams job if their QB unit and cap situation mirrored the Skins...

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

What do they have to deal with that’s that bad? This is Jay’s 6th year. He’s been afforded a 4th different opportunity to work with a new starting QB. The FO has added a lot of young talent not just this draft, but last three. And now it’s a team with a young talented QB, and Front 7, which are huge pieces to building a contender.

I mean what else could you ask for at this point if you are Jay or a prospective head coaching candidate? Teams that suck at drafting and have 5 coaches in the past 10 years like the Buccaneers or teams that take a QB top ten, fire their coach after one year and bring in a loser coach from the big 12 only to replace the QB you just drafted at number 1 with franchise changing defensive talent available to you like the Cards just did, now those are the teams I would be wary of. There are countless other examples of teams around the league who are far bigger train wrecks than the Redskins at this point. 

It’s ultimately going to take winning on the football field and being a consistent playoff contender to fix our image completely, but excuse me for not buying this hogwash that Jay has it so bad and no future coach will want to deal with the FO. There are only 32 jobs and there are many other less desirable destinations than us as it currently stands. 

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

There's a good chance it will be an uncapped year due to the expiration of the CBA at the end of the 2020 season.

This means we can unload the rest of Alex's bad debt and still sign whoever we want in free agency if there will even be a free agency next year. 

At least it could let us extend some players if needed.

Didn't we already do this before and got fined for 30 million cap hit. 

17 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Didn't we already do this before and got fined for 30 million cap hit. 

We were penalized because we got creative and tried to restructure contracts to take advantage of the uncapped year.

The scenario I just laid out is different because we're not restructuring anything, we are just absorbing the remaining bad debt in 2020 which is the last of the guaranteed money we owe Alex.

On 5/1/2019 at 7:04 AM, KDawg said:

Are any of these guys notable, though?

Depends on your definition of notable.

In this case, I would define it as guys who have a decent shot at making this particular team, and not necessarily guys are really good compared to other teams.

I'll be the first to admit, that at the moment, we have a relatively weak WR corps compared to a lot of teams (now listen, that could change and change quickly, depending on how some of these young guys develop), but one thing is for sure, regardless of our talent level compared to other teams, the competition currently looks stiff and tight, and like I said, I could easily see any of the guys I listed, making the team.

Agreed on Colt. While some call for his head, recall that he just signed his extension less than a year ago. Jay loves him. And he's the only QB on the team with any knowledge of the playbook (I'm not counting Alex Smith who's injured). Plus cutting him doesn't really save much. It's about $1.3 million total (and to the person that asked, its the same whether pre or post June 1 as Colt's in his last year of his contract). There's little reason to cut Colt unless you just really wanted the roster spot. Davis is far more cut-able given his salary (although he's also in his last year, so June 1 does not matter). But not sure what they'd do with the money or who'd they get to replace him at this point. So cutting Davis only makes sense if there's a specific reason.

Colt isn't the only one that knows the system, Alex Smith knows it.  He will be on the sidelines assisting Haskins, Case and Woodrum. I can see Colt being there through training camp but getting cut before the season begins. His lack of arm strength is a determent to an offense as defenses only need to protect 20 yards of the field. They normally keep 2 QB's on the roster. Haskins and Case are going to be there along with Smiths cap hit and ever so slight chance of coming back late in the year. Woodrum would be a cheap #3 who could reside on the practice squad. I don't think they can afford Colts cap hit.

I am hoping they can find a TE via cut players or a trade perhaps for a teams #2 or #3 vet TE. One that can catch and block  then they can comfortably cut V Davis.

4 hours ago, Jericho said:

Agreed on Colt. While some call for his head, recall that he just signed his extension less than a year ago. Jay loves him. And he's the only QB on the team with any knowledge of the playbook (I'm not counting Alex Smith who's injured). Plus cutting him doesn't really save much. It's about $1.3 million total (and to the person that asked, its the same whether pre or post June 1 as Colt's in his last year of his contract). There's little reason to cut Colt unless you just really wanted the roster spot. Davis is far more cut-able given his salary (although he's also in his last year, so June 1 does not matter). But not sure what they'd do with the money or who'd they get to replace him at this point. So cutting Davis only makes sense if there's a specific reason.

It's really only a question of the roster spot. Like I said before I think he'll be one of the last last cuts when the team knows who is gonna make it and who wont and whether or not we can stash a certain player or two on the PS. Other than that, I don't see the need to carry three QBs on the roster not to mention another one on IR. If Alex wants to make his giant salary this year, he better be helping both Dwayne and Case learn the system.

Archived