Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We have one of the best capologist in the NFL.

I hear that often about him, but almost every other team would probably say the same about their own guy. I never understood why he is considered so “good”, is it beause he shifts money around? Ok, but I feel other capologists can do that to.

Just reminds me how we’re told Nseke was so awesome yet couldn’t even start for this **** team. Or how our draft picks are 1st round talents and we got fortunate that they fell to the 4th round. 

Just tired of this team feeding us bull****. The record and cap space say otherwise. 

I read an article today that I thought might be of interest to some of you.  The article discussed how the Eagles are structuring their contracts in free agency this year.  I think we are all familiar with teams adding years on the end of a contract that we know will never be paid, as a means of spreading out the signing bonus of the contract.  The player is then cut or restructured when it comes time for the “fake” years.

The Eagles have given new meaning to the “fake” years by adding in contract provisions that void the final years of the deal under the condition that the player is still on the team at the beginning of the next league year.  So, the contract says, if you have not been cut, the remaining years on your deal are voided and you become a free agent.  The only reason I can think that they would structure the deal this way is that you don’t get a comp pick for a player that you cut, so they are using the years that are automatically voided when you sign the contract in order spread out the signing bonus, but they get a comp pick for the player leaving because the player’s contract is automatically voided if they are NOT cut.

In my opinion, if the Redskins and Cowboys can be penalized for going over a salary cap that didn’t exist, this type of practice by the Eagles should also be punished.  At the very least, the NFL should not allow compensatory picks if a team loses a player due to voided years.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/how-eagles-are-using-fake-contract-years-create-cap-space

15 minutes ago, dyst said:

I hear that often about him, but almost every other team would probably say the same about their own guy. I never understood why he is considered so “good”, is it beause he shifts money around? Ok, but I feel other capologists can do that to.

Just reminds me how we’re told Nseke was so awesome yet couldn’t even start for this **** team. Or how our draft picks are 1st round talents and we got fortunate that they fell to the 4th round. 

Just tired of this team feeding us bull****. The record and cap space say otherwise. 

Yeah, this is a ridiculously overrated concept. There are plenty of people on this site who can figure out how to structure contracts the way the Redskins do. It's not that hard.

To be clear, I don't know if anyone here knows how to actually write contracts. But the basics of spreading out bonuses and making players fit under the cap, which is the stuff that supposedly makes someone a cap "genius", are not hard. 

11 minutes ago, Nerm said:

I read an article today that I thought might be of interest to some of you.  The article discussed how the Eagles are structuring their contracts in free agency this year.  I think we are all familiar with teams adding years on the end of a contract that we know will never be paid, as a means of spreading out the signing bonus of the contract.  The player is then cut or restructured when it comes time for the “fake” years.

The Eagles have given new meaning to the “fake” years by adding in contract provisions that void the final years of the deal under the condition that the player is still on the team at the beginning of the next league year.  So, the contract says, if you have not been cut, the remaining years on your deal are voided and you become a free agent.  The only reason I can think that they would structure the deal this way is that you don’t get a comp pick for a player that you cut, so they are using the years that are automatically voided when you sign the contract in order spread out the signing bonus, but they get a comp pick for the player leaving because the player’s contract is automatically voided if they are NOT cut.

In my opinion, if the Redskins and Cowboys can be penalized for going over a salary cap that didn’t exist, this type of practice by the Eagles should also be punished.  At the very least, the NFL should not allow compensatory picks if a team loses a player due to voided years.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/how-eagles-are-using-fake-contract-years-create-cap-space

That's not anything new. Teams have put in these kinds of dummy years in the past. We did it with DeSean Jackson, giving him a 3 year deal that was technically 4, with an automatically voided year, so his signing bonus would be amortized over an extra season. 

This is call out to all the potential GMs out there! We are close to starting the 2019 ES Mock Draft.

For those that may not know for at least the last 5 yrs that I know of (likely more before that), we have held a 7 rd 32 team Mock draft. It starts about a month before the real draft this years it's March 29th at 12:00Noon. it typically takes about 3 weeks to complete as we have GMs from around the world participating. There is a GM for each team with the Redskins GM being drawn by lottery out of those who want to be Redskins GM. This will be my 4th yr participating and it is a lot of fun. A bit competitive but in the very best way. If all else fails you can enjoy mocking others picks as they try to justify a 5th rd reach in the 2nd rd along with the banter that ensues. 

The thread is pinned to the top of the Stadium. If you are interested at all or even just curious, please go to the thread and read the rules (yes, even with something like this rules are a necessary evil.) If you are interested in participating, pick one of the open teams by either sending me a PM or saying something directly in the thread. Also let us know if you want to be in the Redskins GM lottery. 

There are currently 25 confirmed GMs leaving 7 teams without a GM. The open teams are: Bills, Browns, Colts, Jaguars, Chiefs, Vikings, Saints. 

We start next Friday at 12 Noon. Hope to see some of you put all that good work doing player evaluations to use.  

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

That's not anything new. Teams have put in these kinds of dummy years in the past. We did it with DeSean Jackson, giving him a 3 year deal that was technically 4, with an automatically voided year, so his signing bonus would be amortized over an extra season. 

I'm surprised by this.  Doing a quick search on that contract, I see a description of the fourth year of that deal as "a fourth year option that is voidable".  I have no idea what that means, but you may be right.

What surprises me is that the Philly contracts have provisions that make it impossible to fulfill, even if it is what both sides want.  I understand the idea of options, and voids.  But I have never read about a 5 year contract that voids automatically after one year, and neither party of the contract can stop it from happening.  The parameters of a multi year deal are set from the beginning that neither the team or the player can allow the contract to be in effect after the first year.  If this has been in practice previously, it is something that I certainly was not aware of.  It also makes the entire point of the NFL comp pick program to be irrelevant.  

26 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Interesting.  Thank you.  I really wonder why the NFL would allow for contracts to include years that can not happen under any circumstance.  It seems like it would be a better option to just let the team chose how many years they wanted to prorate the signing bonus rather than adding pretend years to the contract.  Either way, I think the NFL will have to do away with comp picks if this is considered a valid way to handle player contracts.  Maybe make teams choose between pro-rating a signing bonus over the course of a contract, or choose to have the player considered for the comp pick formula if they move on.

13 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

13 hours ago, Nerm said:

Exit

First - @Nerm Thanks for posting the original article. It poses some interesting ideas and questions. 

@Rufus T Firefly

You are of course right teams have put voidable years at the end of contracts. However, I have only seen the last yr be voidable and there are no triggers that if the players is on the team the contract is voidable. That seems odd and i am not sure what it buys them. Not saying there have never been multiple voided yrs it's just the first time i have seen something like a 5 yr contract with 4 yrs voided. 

So while I could very well be wrong, but to my knowledge this is a bit different in that they have a 5 yr contract that is really only 1 yr if the player is on the team. What I am really not sure about is if a voided contract is any different than a cut player. I think that is where the article comes off the rails for me. Are they sure of this? Also, if the last 4 are voided, they still owe the remaining CAP immediately so not sure there is much benefit outside the initial year. 

If it really does somehow make the player stay in the equation for comp picks even though they had no intention of keeping him, I would guess that get's discussed - and changed in the upcoming CBA discussion. Maybe not. Maybe the teams and players want comp picks whenever you lose a player. If so, I would think it would make more sense to just write that into the CBA and eliminate the funky contracts. 

For me I think the article is missing some detail and explanation. And it would be good to have some verification of the results, specifically the comp picks part. 

11 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

This article is great. Sorry I missed it last year. I knew most of it but gave some additional clarity. Glad to have proof it's not just my math. That there are some hidden numbers 🙂  It also plugged one of my favorite sites - Overthecap.com. It is incredibly useful. Thanks for posting! 

On 3/22/2019 at 4:42 PM, RWJ said:

I'm really astonished that Allen and Co. haven't extended Brandon Scherff yet.  All the big money in FA has been doled out to the big names and the numbers are there for them to work with.  The Skins said that was one of their major deals to have completed and we still wait.  I wonder what the holdup is?

Maybe they're trading him to the Cardinals to help get Josh Rosen  Evil smiley 10

3 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Gronkowski has retired so trade Reed to the Patriots for there 2nd or 3rd round pick. 

Thoughts everyone?. 

HTTR 

Its a pretty good draft for them to replace him.

They must have known it was coming as they were apparently full on for Jared Cook and missed out, so you never know they might want a vet TE brought in.

5 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Gronkowski has retired so trade Reed to the Patriots for there 2nd or 3rd round pick. 

Thoughts everyone?. 

HTTR 

Organizations value may be at all time low for Reed, I can see Pats buying low. 

Pats as an organization also also appear to understand most players get hurt, and the elite talents still move needle in any given season, even if having to miss 3-5 games.

**12 games of great play over average to above for 15 is what they appear to be okay with. Something along those lines. 

5 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Thoughts everyone?. 

HTTR 

So they trade a high level pick for a 3yr/24mill deal for a never makes it through a season TE?  That was a 3 rounder himself.

The top 2nd round picks get a ~4yr/8mill deal.  I don't think we find many teams even willing to take his contract, let alone toss a pick with it.

my fan hat's off to you guys who are still diligently bringing the goods to these conversations---you know who you are---goskins, rufus, semper, wit, just to name a few  from this page, and i see the many true stalwarts in the threads, suffering though they be

all of ya who are still sloggin the long hard road that is being a fan of this team under the miserably inept stewardship of dan snyder these many years have my admiration for your resolute loyalty and iron commitment or, depending on the day,  my genuine concern for the amount of abuse you're willing to take to remain in a long-time unsatisfying , unrewarding, unhealthy emotional relationship  :P

23 hours ago, goskins10 said:

The so called "garbage" was making a point you are choosing to ignore because it does not fit your narrative. You are right about one thing. I actually agree he has not been good. But that as not the point at all.  It's all about the risk reward. Coming out of college he was projected by many to be a G. The giants insisted he be a T. It would not be the first time someone has been really bad on one position but then moved and was very good. Even if all he ends up being is a back=up it not's horrible. 

Calling other people posts garbage and their opinions dumb is a bully tactic, one that does not really work very well here. I am sure you can find a better way to express yourself.

I am as hard on this front office as anyone as I believe Bruce is the worst GM in the NFL. But that does not mean every single thing they do is trash. I am able to analyze things for their own face value. If you can't separate the two the conclusions are wrapped in emotion not rational thought.  

You wrote off the film review of his hands being terrible to play guard as "clickbait". 

He should have got the same as DRC. 0 Guaranteed. 

On 3/24/2019 at 11:21 AM, bakedtater1 said:

Oh I've never met anyone in this place so I can't hate on anyone till I meet them in person. 😁

I mean by definition you were hating on someone 

28 minutes ago, SkinsNoles21 said:

You wrote off the film review of his hands being terrible to play guard as "clickbait". 

He should have got the same as DRC. 0 Guaranteed. 

I mean by definition you were hating on someone 

Nope I still haven't met anybody here in person..

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

Organizations value may be at all time low for Reed, I can see Pats buying low. 

Pats as an organization also also appear to understand most players get hurt, and the elite talents still move needle in any given season, even if having to miss 3-5 games.

**12 games of great play over average to above for 15 is what they appear to be okay with. Something along those lines. 

I agree. Pats are already used to relying on a TE with major injury problems so Reed technically fits perfectly.

11 minutes ago, dyst said:

Doesn't the NFL usually wait till right after the draft and/or before the season to screw us over. That is when a decision will probably be made.

Chiefs are dealing with the same thing with Hill. Foster's potential suspension shouldn't alter our draft board that dramatically.

Archived