Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

10 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

This season is setting up to be a disaster

Maybe it's because of the way last year ended, but Brave isn't alone in this thinking. A lot of people think we're going to be absolute trash next year.

The team has been destroyed by injuries the last two seasons. Unless there is a THIRD straight year of unexplainable injuries, even with Gruden being as mediocre as he is, this team will compete for the NFC East.

10 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

The hope, I assume, is that Collins will help add Ws to the ledger next year or the following year, and then keep helping the team accumulate wins...we got him for 6 seasons, afterall.

Let's hope so. If he makes it pass three, that's a great thing.

1 minute ago, CrypticVillain said:

Maybe it's because of the way last year ended, but Brave isn't alone in this thinking. A lot of people think we're going to be absolute trash next year.

The team has been destroyed by injuries the last two seasons. Unless there is a THIRD straight year of unexplainable injuries, even with Gruden being as mediocre as he is, this team will compete for the NFC East.

I can’t see the team with the worst QB situation in the division (and probably worst offense overall) competing for anything. 

But it’s still early. Maybe they luck out and have a once in a lifetime draft 

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

How?

Jay said things needed to change and communication between front office and coaches on personnel.

By missing out this bit of his quote

"We have a good communication system in place right now"

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I can’t see the team with the worst QB situation in the division (and probably worst offense overall) competing for anything. 

Gotta think if--(IF lol)--the run game produces with AP, Guice, Thompson and (hopefully) a new LG--coupled with a legit defense and not just an improved one, as well as much better luck in the health department--that'll help take pressure off whoever ends up as starting QB. Could be said that Peterson was the main reason the Skins even got 7 wins last year, so it's not out of the question.

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Not gonna lie, my prediction is based on the fact that they're going to find some bum QB to play with next year and they're going to lean HEAVILY on the defense and running game (That's why they were so anxious to get AP back I bet.)

Also, I'll admit that I'm not thinking too much about my personal feelings towards the FO (Mainly Bruce).  Truthfully speaking, I think the FO has been slightly above mediocre since Shanahan has left. I think the only reason we haven't seen it translate on the field is because of Gruden's coaching...

For what it's worth, I'm not actually happy that I feel the way I feel about Gruden. I hope he finds a way to get better, but it's been five years and he still gets routinely out-coached imo.

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

My apologies.  I assumed most everyone would take that to mean nothing when it follows a statement indicating it’s an issue that needs improvement.

No. I took his meaning to be that there is communication but that the process broke down under the weight of injuries and volume of signings that were made during last season. I can understand how that would happen. Most communication systems are challenged when stress tested.

I don't understand how anyone can read that whole quote and draw a general conclusion that there is no communication between coaches and front office.

Gruden might be lying of course, or at least covering up, but at face value his full quote has a very different meaning that just lifting out one part of it in isolation.

10 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Gotta think if--(IF lol)--the run game produces with AP, Guice, Thompson and (hopefully) a new LG--coupled with a legit defense and not just an improved one, as well as much better luck in the health department--that'll help take pressure off whoever ends up as starting QB. Could be said that Peterson was the main reason the Skins even got 7 wins last year, so it's not out of the question.

Betting on the Skins to get between 6 and 8 wins is always relatively safe. We would be in a better long term situation with 3 wins.

Or 12.

8 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Not gonna lie, my prediction is based on the fact that they're going to find some bum QB to play with next year and they're going to lean HEAVILY on the defense and running game (That's why they were so anxious to get AP back I bet.)

Also, I'll admit that I'm not thinking too much about my personal feelings towards the FO (Mainly Bruce).  Truthfully speaking, I think the FO has been slightly above mediocre since Shanahan has left. I think the only reason we haven't seen it translate on the field is because of Gruden's coaching...

For what it's worth, I'm not actually happy that I feel the way I feel about Gruden. I hope he finds a way to get better, but it's been five years and he still gets routinely out-coached imo.

I'd like it if your prediction were correct.  Despite my incessant ****ing earlier about building a team the right way and being set up for a few years of success, I'm just starved for a winner.  Winning the division would be cool, no matter how many smoke and mirrors are needed to do so.

That said, I think it'll be hard to win the division leaning so heavily on the run if there's no threat of a pass.  I'm not saying we need to have a prolific air attack but I think there's gotta be some amount of a threat to keep a defense honest.  As it stands right now, I don't see how that's a possibility.  And we know Jay abandons the run if we get down a score early.

Profootballtalk.com just announced Tom Compton signed with Jets.  Remember him?  He started 14 games at left guard with the Vikings last year.  I wonder if our brilliant front office considered talking to him.  Or maybe Compton did not want to sign with his old team?  He was a sixth round pick by Washington in 2012.

Just now, veteranskinsfan said:

Profootballtalk.com just announced Tom Compton signed with Jets.  Remember him?  He started 14 games at left guard with the Vikings last year.  I wonder if our brilliant front office considered talking to him.  Or maybe Compton did not want to sign with his old team?  He was a sixth round pick by Washington in 2012.

I hope not. the Vikings O line was not good last season and he was part of the reason why.

For all those who are posting the team is 

a mess, FA has been a bust, the front office is in disarray, the sky is falling out, 

i say: 

10-6 or better....

Only adds I need to see is: 

WR in draft 1st or 2nd 

LG 3rd or FA 

That’s it, I’m a betting man! 

14 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Hmm... Not remembering it being Jay that signed, resigned all these players with injury histories. By the end of every season there is no team left. Also, until him and his coaching staff got here the team was horrible in terms of developing people. 

I can understand not liking Jay, but saying he is primary reason the team is not winning, that Bruce has done enough to give him the right players? Wow, just not seeing that at all. Bruce has had some decent drafts - I have defended him for this. But his approach to Free Agency is horrendous, not to mention his handling of our previous QB. He has no plan. He flails about in free agency with no real plan in place. 

Last yr if they sign a NT - Hankins, Logan, someone, they do not have to take Deron. I like Deron Payne but they cornered themselves and had to take him when Derwin James was available. Now this year they have to get Oline help. They will now reach for LG because they did not do anything in free agency to address a major need and leave themselves free to take BPA. All they had to do was sign a LG. I am not talking about signing a bunch of players. But just one additional player each year completely changes what they can/have to do in the draft. 

I am just not sure how you can look at what Bruce has done as GM and not see he is the primary issue here. Ok, Jay is not perfect, but you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. 

1 minute ago, Skinarchy said:

a mess, FA has been a bust, the front office is in disarray, the sky is falling out, 

i say: 

10-6 only thing I need to see is a

WR in draft 1st or 2nd 

LG 3rd or FA 

If these are the type of bets you make, you must lose a lot and like it.  

7 minutes ago, Skinarchy said:

i say: 

10-6 or better....

Only adds I need to see is: 

WR in draft 1st or 2nd 

LG 3rd or FA 

we need an experienced WR, we have a ton of youth

24 minutes ago, MartinC said:

No. I took his meaning to be that there is communication but that the process broke down under the weight of injuries and volume of signings that were made during last season. I can understand how that would happen. Most communication systems are challenged when stress tested.

I don't understand how anyone can read that whole quote and draw a general conclusion that there is no communication between coaches and front office.

Gruden might be lying of course, or at least covering up, but at face value his full quote has a very different meaning that just lifting out one part of it in isolation.

I didn't take it to mean that there was no communication at all.  I took it to mean that there is communication, but it's less than desirable, and believes things need to change to make it better.  I took the "communication is good" follow-up to be a make-up statement after realizing what he just said.  A common tactic deployed by public speakers and management.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I didn't take it to mean that there was no communication at all.  I took it to mean that there is communication, but it's less than desirable, and believes things need to change to make it better.  I took the "communication is good" follow-up to be a make-up statement after realizing what he just said.  A common tactic deployed by public speakers and management.

But whatever the reality leaving that section out completely changes the sense of what he was saying.

35 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

He was terrible last season.  In fact, the first time I saw him lined up as a starter, I had to run it back to make sure I was seeing it correctly.

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

But whatever the reality leaving that section out completely changes the sense of what he was saying.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  I didn't for a second walk away from that statement thinking that he mentioned it as something that needs to change and improve, as something that was already good.

I look at it like this, say the same situation occurred between me and my wife, where someone asked me what needs to change and improve in our marriage to be successful going forward, and my first response is "Better communication" followed by "Our communication is good though"....my wife isn't going to care one iota about the last part of the statement, she's going to want to know why I was so quick to answer that we need better communication.

42 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Betting on the Skins to get between 6 and 8 wins is always relatively safe. We would be in a better long term situation with 3 wins.

Or 12.

If I gotta root for one or the other, I'll root for 12 lol...I don't think 3 moves Bruce out of the FO anyway. Plus going 12-4 with Case Keenum would be have me doing this:

giphy.gif

42 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Compton went from the Redskins in 2015 to the Falcons in 2016.

Then went from the Falcons in 2016 to the Bears in 2017.

Then went from the Bears in 2017 to the Vikings in 2018, and was part of arguably the worst OLine in the NFL.

Now he's going from the Vikings in 2018 to the Jets in 2019.

If there's an argument t be made for the front office, getting rid of Compton and never looking back seems to be one of the better ones to make.

I would definitely like to see Kline or Sitton in here soon so that we have a plan in place if the draft does not go our way.  I am afraid Bruce struggles with the concept of a Plan B and personally I would want a veteran starter and a high draft pick for the position this year.  It is a need but at least with a veteran we don't need to go round 1 and can maybe use a 3rd to get a guy with upside that can be in the rotation and move in as a starter next year.  I do think they will bring back Cooper, he may not be fit yet which could explain the delay.  I do hope they don't bring back Lauvao unless its vet minimum to be depth and not with the intention of starting him.

Archived