Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I was against looking at Dez last year because I believed he was going to want more money than his production was worth but in looking at an article recently I saw that his deal with the Saints was for 1.25m only.  A year further down the line and coming off a serious injury I have to think the price would be pretty much veteran minimum now and it is not as if we are overloaded with weapons in the receiving game.  I would think at the very least he would be supremely motivated and I am sure would enjoy sticking it to the Cowgirls twice this year, if he can be a team player we should at least bring him in for a visit.

I think it is still possible that he could help a team, particularly in the red zone.  He isn't someone that I would give any guaranted money to, but maybe someone to sign if the Skins don't end up with a WR in the first three rounds of the draft.  He did appear motivated to play against the Cowboys last year, and I wouldn't have been surprised if he had a good game or two against them if he got the chance.  The key would be signing him to a low cost deal that doesn't cost you if you cut him, and not letting him take reps away from any younger players that you think have a shot at developing into contributors for the team. As for his attitude issues, I see him more as an occasional distraction than a team cancer.  He wouldn't be a model for younger players as a rout runner, but does give good effort as a blocker, and can bring some positive intensity.  

20 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Me neither, but if Dan and Bruce fall in love with Haskins we are moving a **** load of capital to move up in the draft. This has RG3 type move, picks or players, written all over it.

I'm hoping we'll let the draft come to us but yes there's Snyder.  I think we'd send picks and not our best player on the team which would open up another huge hole in the OL.

Got a gut feeling ukskinsfan could be(.heyyyy I'm starting to sound like a broken record hahaha)on to something... Peterson was brought back and everyone's savior was signed but nothing on Scherff..if Dan Allen has it that hard up for Haskins and the niners are right there not needing a QB..I'd ****ing freak the **** out if we traded Scherff..WOULD HATE IT, BE SO PISSED,...than get over it by training camp, all in again for the skins all excited for another season yay go skins just to be in the same position next year ..rinse,wash, repeat.

34 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Got a gut feeling ukskinsfan could be(.heyyyy I'm starting to sound like a broken record hahaha)on to something... Peterson was brought back and everyone's savior was signed but nothing on Scherff..if Dan Allen has it that hard up for Haskins and the niners are right there not needing a QB..I'd ****ing freak the **** out if we traded Scherff..WOULD HATE IT, BE SO PISSED,...than get over it by training camp, all in again for the skins all excited for another season yay go skins just to be in the same position next year ..rinse,wash, repeat.

Scherff isn't going anywhere.  They're just historically slow on big Oline contracts.

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

If he can stay healthy and play he would be.  I think he has 800 - 1000 yards left in him if used correctly.

Last year I wasn't in any circumstance wanting Dez Bryant on the roster.  This year, you can get him for just about nothing and he's solidify at least the dig route.  He's not going to get separation on almost any other route.  Actually turned into a poor route runner except that dig route which he's got down perfectly.  They're probably no reason to not bring him in as the WR corps is terrible and they've done nothing to even make up for the loss of Crowder.  This year, might as well. 

Here's the evaluation I posted last year about Dez:

18 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

One would think Dez could/would wanna "ball out" here especially to stick it to the boys twice a year.. if he's kept in shape and ready to go I'd say bring him in..

I don't remember him being all that fearsome when he wanted to stick it to the Redskins, and he was younger then.

2 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I don't remember him being all that fearsome when he wanted to stick it to the Redskins, and he was younger then.

Dont search Dez Bryant highlights on YouTube... It will bring up memories that you have suppressed.

8 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

This guy has been on fire this offseason with free agent predictions 

He's not the only one but I can't remember who Cowherd had on his show who said the Giants and Chargers would be the biggest suitors.

What I don't get about Scherff re-signing is that both the FO and his agent knew roughly what the contract would look like way before free agency opened, of course, you then wait for the market to set itself but that's happened as of 2 or 3 weeks ago so why isn't it done.

I know you see reports it will get done but I'm not sold, either he wants ridiculous money or Bruce is low balling him, either way, we need to figure it out because if we can't get a deal done this offseason then we need to unload him so we don't end up having to go through what we went through with Kirk and getting no picks in return.

10 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

What I don't get about Scherff re-signing is that both the FO and his agent knew roughly what the contract would look like way before free agency opened, of course, you then wait for the market to set itself but that's happened as of 2 weeks ago so why isn't it done.

I know you see reports it will get done but I'm not sold, either he wants ridiculous money or Bruce is low balling him, either way, we need to figure it out because if we can't get a deal done this offseason then we need to unload him so we don't end up having to go through what we went through with Kirk and getting no picks in return.

I can tell you 3 words as to why Scherff has not signed a new deal yet. 

Bruce Useless Allen. 

HTTR 

RE:  Extending or trading Scheff

I understand the logic of trading someone while the FO still has contract rights but doesn't think they can afford to extend that player's original contract or .... eventually have to compete for them in free-agency.  Frankly, if the Skins FO knew it wasn't serious about trying to retain Orakpo, Cousins, Long, Breeland, Grant, Smith, Crowder, etc., then the FO should have considered what it could get in trade value before the players were eligible for free agency and the Skins FO lost their leverage. 

Too many times, Skins players who are well-regarded as NFL-level talent are allowed to get to free agency, and then the best the Skins can hope for is a  compensatory draft pick.  The Skins simply wait too long to consider trades on their "market-worthy" players until they've significantly diminished in skills/value or teams can simply wait until the player hits free-agency. 

The Skins really need to make quicker decisions on if they are willing to consider trading marquee players, especially if it's expected they'd be too old to help (or they'd be ending their contracts) when the Skins were actually ready to make the playoffs.  Right now, some of those types of players are folks you'd consider "not for trade"... Williams, Norman, Kerrigan, Reed, or  maybe "we just need to see more of how good they are" (Docston, Moreau, Richardson, Montrae N., etc). Truly,   It's tough to trade them, but the Skins need to get away from this "The Future is Now" philosophy they call into EVERY season.  

The truth is the Skins need to continue to stockpile draft-picks and young players to build their foundation of talent, like many other successful franchises do.  The more first and 2nd round picks they accumulate, the more young play-makers they can add to the team, and the more trade value their roster has (if the Skins decided they could live without that talent's higher-cost contract.

So for Scherff, he's got trade value, well-regarded, youngish, in a position which he could play at a high level for 8+ more years, a "football player and good for team chemistry", but not in a position that is known for being a playmaker.  I think he is foundation material, but if his price tag is too high... The cap-strapped Skins need to be entertaining trade offer for him now, not next year. 

...Please know I really like Scherff, and deeply hope the Skins make a real effort  to retain him, but how many mega-contracts can the team bear while it's trying to build a solid foundation for a talented roster for the future?  And make no mistake, the Skins future is NOT now.  They need to keep rebuilding to recover from the A. Smith debacle.

20 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Bruce Useless Allen. 

HTTR 

I don't expect scherff to sign anytime soon.  He has all the leverage in the world.  The Redskins aren't going to start with a high offer in March, they will throw some numbers out there but scherffs camp will counter with top dollar.  They will be more likely to come to an agreement during training camp / preseason, but scherff no reason to lower his demands at this point.  He knows if the skins really need to get cap space for 2019, then they will have to meet his top dollar demands.  And I don't blame him one bit for this approach.  And I don't blame the Redskins for not immediately giving him the top dollar deal, they don't need to at this point.  I don't seem them bringing in any more significant free agents, and rookies don't typically sign until June or July.  Scherff not signing yet is predictable.  If I saw a headline soon that he did sign, I would be worried, bc it probably means we overpaid to retain an interior lineman.  

21 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Bruce Useless Allen. 

HTTR 

You know Bruce is Bruce and he's not going anywhere at least not yet so I've always taken the approach of looking at every move as its own entity without being biased based on the fact Bruce stinks.

With that being said if Scherff wants $45 or $50M guaranteed in the first 3 years then I would seriously think about shipping him off.  There is a point where the production doesn't fit the return and that's not an indictment on Scherff, it's more about the position he plays, now if we were truly "Close" then I would approach it differently but everyone knows we are not "Close" including Bruce regardless of what he says to the media.

As long as we have no long term solution at QB don't be surprised if it's hard to obtain or keep good players, I'm sure it probably cost us a chance at AB regardless of whether it would have been a good signing or not.  We are what we are and we have to own that but it doesn't mean we can't recoup some of those losses by making moves when things aren't looking good.

11 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I don't expect scherff to sign anytime soon.  He has all the leverage in the world.  The Redskins aren't going to start with a high offer in March, they will throw some numbers out there but scherffs camp will counter with top dollar.  They will be more likely to come to an agreement during training camp / preseason, but scherff no reason to lower his demands at this point.  He knows if the skins really need to get cap space for 2019, then they will have to meet his top dollar demands.  And I don't blame him one bit for this approach.  And I don't blame the Redskins for not immediately giving him the top dollar deal, they don't need to at this point.  I don't seem them bringing in any more significant free agents, and rookies don't typically sign until June or July.  Scherff not signing yet is predictable.  If I saw a headline soon that he did sign, I would be worried, bc it probably means we overpaid to retain an interior lineman.  

I think you have some good points even though I may not agree with everything you said.

One thing to kinda look at is we re-signed Moses on April 27th, he's not even close to the player that Scherff is so the dynamics of the negotiation could be different as you pointed out.

We'll see what happens but IMO I think we need to have him wrapped up by May or the risk level starts to go up exponentially, remember the whole thing with Kirk was the FO hurt his feelings and Bruce was being an A-hole.

Scherff will command a 85mil plus total value contract. Bruce Allen made comment pre combine that we are one of the, if not the, league lead in cap/cash invested in OL, before we even extend him. 

Giving Scherff a deal is damn easy. The numbers are almost obvious. Go figure.

I will add that I don't promote a Scherff trade at all. Maybe I would if it saved us multiple draft picks to move up, if those are the two options. But we clearly don't value interior OL players that much. Time will tell on this one, depending on how much we love any particular QB in this draft.

The redskins are paying 8 different Tackles, and 4 different Centers right now ( due to the injuries last year).

The only Guard on the roster is Sherff. Hes going nowhere, and we will cut atleast half of those guys before the season. $14 million is going to an aging Trent Williams, and if he is replaced with a rookie in the next 2 years, then we would now be middle of the pack in OL spending. Its all relative.

I disagree that Scherff has all of the leverage. He is coming off a pec tendon tear and injuries happen. Career altering injuries are relatively common even if career ending ones are rare. Sometimes it's better to get your money up front. Look at Reed. He's been injured AF since signing his contract. Think he would make that money on the FA market now?

54 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

We'll see what happens but IMO I think we need to have him wrapped up by May or the risk level starts to go up exponentially, remember the whole thing with Kirk was the FO hurt his feelings and Bruce was being an A-hole.

I agree with your last point, and this is one of my main criticisms of Bruce.  It seems when negotiations begin, he comes in insultingly low, and comes across as a dbag throughout the whole process.  It has been widely reported how Bruce is viewed as a snake and is not respected by others in the industry.  I understand these negotiations can be difficult to navigate in a positive manner, but my impression is Bruce may be the worst at this dynamic than any gm in the league.  His style seems to foster resentment from those across the table, so I agree with you that the longer this lasts, the more scherff may say "you know what, forget this guy/team, I'd rather hit the open market and explore more opportunities", much like Kirk did.  Hopefully Bruce learned his lesson from those past negotiations, but I'm not holding my breath, Bruce has a long track record of doing it that way, so why would he all of a sudden change now after so many years of being terrible at it.  

9 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I disagree that Scherff has all of the leverage. He is coming off a pec tendon tear and injuries happen. Career altering injuries are relatively common even if career ending ones are rare. Sometimes it's better to get your money up front. Look at Reed. He's been injured AF since signing his contract. Think he would make that money on the FA market now?

Agree with your point, the injury plays a factor.  But the main reason I think scherff has the leverage is bc the Alex smith situation has hamstrung their cap, and scherff knows a quick and easy way for the skins to create space for 2019 is to extend him to a long term deal with a low base in 2019.  

Also, the reason scherff has leverage is bc he knows he can get a similar or even better deal that the Redskins offer on the open market, with a much better franchise and chance of winning.  If the numbers are even, I'm sure every player would prefer to play for a team that is completing towards a title, rather than a team that continues to be mediocre at best.  

As far as the injury aspect, and getting money now instead of risking hurting your value with another injury, I will counter with the KC situation, where a player played on consecutive one year deals and avoided rushing into a longterm deal.  KC played the situation beautifully, and when he hit the open market, he signed a record breaking deal.  

So maybe saying scherff has all the leverage in the world may not be the best way to put it, but I definitely think he is, and will remain, in the driver's seat.  With a front office fighting to retain their jobs, having scherff walk could be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as a front office overhaul. Imo, the Redskins need scherff more than scherff needs the Redskins.

Archived