Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

On 2/4/2019 at 6:59 AM, Burgold said:

What a crop of free agents. I'm not sure how hard I'd try to retain any of 'em. Maybe Adrian Peterson? Cooper flashed as a guard for the game and a half he played. I think Josh Johnson earned a shot to compete for a back up role.

I really wanted Maurice Harris to emerge, but he's been given so many shots and hasn't. Every so often, we'll see a highlight catch from him, but it's just not enough. As for Marshall, he's too often injured and what's he done on the field when he gets there?  We should never have cut Bibbs who wasn't nearly as flashy, but produced and was dependable.

I agree with retaining AP if the price ( and it should be ) is reasonable. Johnson could be a good mobile QB project as a back up. Harris is a mid level WR that will probably lose out to Cam Simms who was turning heads last pre-season. I've seen about the same amount of spark at times from Bibbs and Marshall, but agree with the Marshall injurie problem.

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Of course not. This is how teams with no foresight operate. A team that's really not among the top 10 of it's own conference constructing a deal that's designed to optimize year one at the expense of everything else.

When a GMs only real goal is a #6 seed and he doesn't care about the future at all, something like this looks like brilliant cap management. 

It's how you operate when your main goal is to survive until next season.

But you don't get to have job security in any organization when you botch your QB situation as badly as Allen and Gruden have.  No regime deserves a fourth chance there.  Allen, at the very least, should have been put out of his misery by now.  The desperation creates bad decision-making, which leads to more bad decision-making to cope with prior bad decisions.  We are always going to be paying this piper with this FO structure.  They couldn't even get ahead of the curve when Kirk Cousins's unlikely emergence profoundly saved all of their asses the first time they ****ed up.

17 minutes ago, pcbothwel said:

Yes.... See below

Essentially... we signed him to a 3/50M deal if we cut him after 3 years. If he returns to form as an All-Pro caliber safety, then we have him for an additional 3 years with very little guaranteed money and high base pay... This is good because it essentially allows us to do the following after 3 years:

Is Collins worth the money?

If No, Then you cut him and only have 6M in dead money

If yes, you can restructure some of his base pay as a signing bonus and lower his cap hit

Lots of flexibility.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/landon-collins-16757/

Thank you

It looks like there's a door wide open for renegotiation as well.

11 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Collins is a blue chip signing for a player in mid 20's. This is what a non-playoff team should do to bolster talent. His contract growth over the years will be mitigated by the void he fills. I get he's regarded at niche, but he's elite at that role and that's the value. Very excited by the signing. 

Would go WR, edge, Oline in draft in first 3 rounds

I tend to agree with this, as I tend to draft this way in my mocks at FirstPick.com. However, I actually would not be disapointed if the Redskins selected one of the Iowa TEs at 15 or even better, managed to trade back and still land one (I would prefer the more well-rounded Hockenson over the speedy pass-catcher Fant though). Then target a small speedy WR like Andy Isabella with one of the mid-round picks.

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Packers are going crazy this FA period. They got both Smith "pass rushers"

Edit: And I am fine with losing Smith. We will add an older veteran guy opposite kerrigan most likely. 

I wonder if the Redskins would give Junior Gallette another shot with a vet minimum contract. That ship has probably sailed though...

Year 2 of Collins's contract will be painful, but we'll be able to cut him after that, or perhaps renegotiate him.  Nine million in dead money is painful, but less painful than paying 17 million for a box safety.

A negative long term consequence of this signing is the fact that we redefined safety salaries.  Now they can get paid top cornerback money.  Which in term will raise the cost of corners.  That'll haunt everyone.  And we wonder why the league hates us.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Year 2 of Collins's contract will be painful, but we'll be able to cut him after that, or perhaps renegotiate him.  Nine million in dead money is painful, but less painful than paying 17 million for a box safety.

A negative long term consequence of this signing is the fact that we redefined safety salaries.  Now they can get paid top cornerback money.  Which in term will raise the cost of corners.  That'll haunt everyone.  And we wonder why the league hates us.

When you’re digging EXTRA DEEP to sell the “dumpster fire narrative”!

#boxsafety

#everybodyhatesus

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

2 years ago Eric Berry signed almost a clone of this deal if you take into account the increase in the salary cap. The numbers are scary similar... that set the market before we did.  

Eric Berry signed a 6 year, $78,000,000 contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, including a $20,000,000 signing bonus, $40,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $13,000,000. In 2019, Berry will earn a base salary of $12,400,000 and a workout bonus of $100,000, while carrying a cap hit of $16,500,000 and a dead cap value of $14,950,000.

Landon Collins signed a 6 year, $84,000,000 contract with the Washington Redskins, including a $15,000,000 signing bonus, $44,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $14,000,000. In 2019, Collins will earn a base salary of $1,000,000 and a signing bonus of $15,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $4,000,000 and a dead cap value of $41,000,000.

7 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

LOL- Stephen A. just stated on national tv we should have signed Nick Foles 'because some cat named Tress Way started a game for them last year'. 

Good research SAS

He was interested in seeing the following players for the matchup: 

- Spencer Ware, who was already ruled out. 

- Derrick Johnson, who was cut by the Chiefs weeks before. 

- Hunter Henry, who tore his ACL before the season. 

Watching Max and Teddy's reaction is pretty good. Both know they can't pounce because SAS is the draw, but they also know they can't let it slide. 

I am okay with losing Preston Smith. He was a guy who often almost made a play, but never seemed to actually make it. You'd have thought with the year that Allen, Payne, and Ionadis had and how good they were at generating pressure up the middle that Smith would have feasted, but his production stayed flat. He seems still too much about potential and too little about production. Besides, Kerrigan is the high motor, blue collar effort pass rusher. We need speed on the other side.

Just now, Burgold said:

I am okay with losing Preston Smith. He was a guy who often almost made a play, but never seemed to actually make it. You'd have thought with the year that Allen, Payne, and Ionadis had and how good they were at generating pressure up the middle that Smith would have feasted, but his production stayed flat. He seems still too much about potential and too little about production. Besides, Kerrigan is the high motor, blue collar effort pass rusher. We need speed on the other side.

Preston Smith is the prototype “Almost-Guy”.  The Packers will almost enjoy his production, I think...almost.

I wish him well.

18 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Packers are going crazy this FA period. They got both Smith "pass rushers"

Edit: And I am fine with losing Smith. We will add an older veteran guy opposite kerrigan most likely. 

Aaron Rodgers will be 36 years old. They are in 'win now' mode. Gotta push for one more championship before Rodgers is declining.

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We paid 14.5 against the cap this year for a "zone corner"...didn't stop us from a big signing.

This will just force us to do something with Norman next year, which we were probably going to do anyways. 

Archived