Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Man, look at this milquetoast argument for bringing Long back lol...

"Now, Long isn't a top-flight offensive lineman by any stretch and he's had some injury issues just like Lauvao, but..."

YEdit

Signing Long should in no way cross anything off the Redskins' to-do list.

For the record, I'm all for bringing in Long for an incredibly affordable contract where we can cut him without worry should we find a better replacement for Lavauavaouavo...

The only way you bring Long in is really cheap and with it being clear he is a journeyman back-up. He can give you some snaps at multiple positions if someone gets injured. But anything more than that, no thanks. 

34 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

The only way you bring Long in is really cheap and with it being clear he is a journeyman back-up. He can give you some snaps at multiple positions if someone gets injured. But anything more than that, no thanks. 

Skins have Tony Bergstrom to fill that role.  I think I would rather have a rookie with potential to develop as the other backup C/G.

9 hours ago, dballer said:

Always liked the guy but he was boom or bust with Rivers throwing to him...would disappear completely for stretches of the season. Injury issues last year. Depends on how much he would cost. He isn't a #1 guy, but he can stretch the field and go over the middle.

According to Rotoworld he wants #1 WR money...definitely not worth that:

Chargers GM Tom Telesco suggested it may not be "realistic" to re-sign free agent Tyrell Williams.
Williams wants to get paid as a No. 1 receiver this offseason. With Mike Williams coming off a breakout year, it doesn't make sense for the Chargers to get in a bidding war for him. 26-year-old Williams if our fifth-ranked free-agent wideout. Feb 1 - 2:15 PM

Skins have never needed a true #1 in this offense.  The problem is that the Skins have tried to make do with #4/#5 WRs that can never win against man coverage.  Last season Paul Richardson was Smith's go-to guy but he got beaten up because his frame isn't built to take so many hits.  I think Richardson will be able to produce much more if he's not asked to do it all.  Unfortunately, there isn't that other reliable WR on the roster.  I think the Skins need both an upgrade free-agent AND to invest a 3rd round pick or higher in the draft.  If Jamison Crowder can get a mega-contract then the Skins should let him walk and take any comp pick selection next year.  That leaves Doctson (minimal production but maybe he'll improve with 3 better WRs in front of him); Trey Quinn (developing slot WR); Robert Davis (developing WR too often injured); Cam Sims (maybe goes back to the practice squad unless he shows more potential).  That's it.  The other guys currently on the roster are low production vets and rookies that are practice squad material at best.  So, yes if Williams can be signed I say go for it.  Then draft another!  Maybe draft two WRs if a round 5-7 guy has potential to outperform Doctson, Davis or Sims.

16 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Skins have Tony Bergstrom to fill that role.  I think I would rather have a rookie with potential to develop as the other backup C/G.

I was not advocating that we sign him. Was strictly addressing the do they sign Long or not. ANd if they got him really cheap with idea if him being inactive most of the season unless there are major injuries, I could at least see it. Not my first choice though. 

Having said that, I have to think they could bring him in on the 90, then release him and keep younger guys with more upside or at least no injury history and he would be there at any point in the regular season in case of an emergency. That's really the one thing he might be good for - an emergency if the team loses the entire Oline, yet again. 

Really wanted Robert Woods last year, but we kind of struck out with Richardson.

This year I actually think someone will get a good one in Devin Funchess. Think he will develop into a very productive receiver. Problem is I don't reckon we have the space for another receiver on the money he's going to get.

1 minute ago, RabidFan said:

Rather have Long than Bergstrom and Cooper over Lavauo but both seem to get injured often.  We need to draft a couple OL as I have no faith in Arie ever amounting to anything.

Long has injury issues too.  He was on IR for us in 17 and had finger and leg issues for the Jets last year.  Don't really remember before that

45 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

What are everyones thoughts on Jon Cooper potential to fill that role?

to my knowledge that won't work.  He may be able to swing between guard spots but I don't think he plays center

20 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Cooper was a decent guard for us in all 4 games he played with us. I think he's an upgrade over Lauvao, but I think we'd probably only get to enjoy that upgrade for another 4 games this season.

injury history was pretty much the reason he was available to us late in the year

The Eagles are trying to Tag and Trade Foles. This is illegal according to the CBa. Mara needs to get on this. The Eagles are violating the Spirit of the salary Cap and Franchise tag. They need to be told a day before free agency they are losing 25 million off the cap and the night before the draft told they are losing their first round pick lol. They can say their is precedence in the Redskins and Cowboys Penalties.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/eagles-apparent-tag-and-trade-plan-for-nick-foles-would-violate-the-cba/ar-BBTgFI6?ocid=spartanntp

I don’t ever want to hear the names Kouandjio and Lauvao again and, as far as Long goes, he was passable at center but awful at guard.  No thanks to any of the 3.  Cooper performed better at left guard than anyone has in years.  Sign him!

18 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Cooper was a decent guard for us in all 4 games he played with us. I think he's an upgrade over Lauvao, but I think we'd probably only get to enjoy that upgrade for another 4 games this season.

My view on this all off-season has been that we bring Cooper back on a 2-3 year deal at around $2/3m APY. That covers our butts for the draft should a Guard not fit BPA in Round 1-3 ... but ideally you bring Cooper in along with a stud Guard/Center type in the 2nd or 3rd who can plug and play, and Cooper provides excellent depth at LG or RG. But, say, come draft time things don't align and you don't draft a LG until say, R5 and get a guy like Dru Samia or Ryan Bates ... both who I like but may need a year of tuning before being reliable ... then you have Cooper to start, which as a former 1st rounder, he has the ability to do if he's healthy.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

How much does the toxic environment of Redskins Park have on our ability to re-sign our own players? Guys like Preston Smith, Brandon SCherff, Jamison Crowder? I have to imagine going to a functinal organization would be appealing to them.

I have heard nothing to suggest these players are dissatisfied here

Would hope the Scherff deal gets sorted soon.

Just looking at the deals Norwell and Martin got, and in both cases the first year cap hit was no higher than 6mil. Scherff currently has a 12.5mil cap hit, so with that LTD we'd be looking at another 5-7mil back on our 2019 cap space.

If they retain Preston Smith, they wouldn’t need to seek another starting outside linebacker. But the Redskins have yet to engage in any meaningful contract discussions to bring him back. As of a week ago, there were none. The team has publicly and privately stated it would like him back, but has long known he’d be costly to keep around.

The Redskins drafted Ryan Anderson two years ago, so he could possibly have an increased role if Smith leaves. Anderson blows up the edge with force and provides a physical demeanor and mindset, but he hasn’t yet shown he can be a dynamic pass-rusher. He can definitely help, but to what extent remains to be seen.

Even if Anderson does become a full-time guy, it’s too important a position to not draft another player toward the top of the draft. Ryan Kerrigan, on the other side of the line from Smith, will be 31 in August. You never have enough pass-rushers and it’s hard for a defense of this style to reach a high level without high-end edge talent. This draft just happens to be deep in defensive talent.

In 2011, the Redskins needed a quarterback after a failed trade for Donovan McNabb. They didn't like what was available in the draft, traded down a few spots and landed Kerrigan. The next year, they traded up to get Robert Griffin III -- and won the NFC East.

That’s why, if the Redskins don’t draft a quarterback in the first round, it’s OK. If they lose both Preston Smith and receiver Jamison Crowder -- a distinct possibility -- they’re going to need more help at both spots. The dilemma for Washington is whether to pay Crowder $8 million. Yes, they have Trey Quinn,but he played in only two games this season. And Crowder is still their preferred option. Regardless, taking a receiver in the early rounds wouldn’t be a surprise.

They need someone who threatens a defense.

Before the season ended, coach Jay Gruden said the Redskins needed to find more playmakers. Both Smith and Crowder are in playmaking positions. Both might have price tags that get too high (and would yield compensatory picks in 2020, something they want to keep accruing).

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/38137/redskins-need-a-qb-but-other-draft-areas-could-bring-better-results

47 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Would hope the Scherff deal gets sorted soon.

Just looking at the deals Norwell and Martin got, and in both cases the first year cap hit was no higher than 6mil. Scherff currently has a 12.5mil cap hit, so with that LTD we'd be looking at another 5-7mil back on our 2019 cap space.

Put that 6m cap savings towards signing Saffold 😁😁😁😁😁😁

HTTR 

Every time I read Philly fans discussing Wentz vs Foles it seems to be overwhelming that the fans want Foles, I think their crazy but they are Philly fans so you expect that.

I wonder if they would deal Wentz under the right circumstances, it seems like they want Foles but feel trapped into keeping Wentz.

Quick summary on our potential cap space. Start with estimated 20mil at today,

Scherff extension, gets us another 6 back

Norman ditched, another 8 

Z.Brown gone, another 6

Thats up to 40mil, without thinking about the TEs which could be another +5, one just has to go. McGee another +3, and if we chased a pricey vet QB, then McCoys 3.5 goes. Minor restructuring on Kerrigan or Trent. Perhaps we restructure Norman and/or Brown. Could be on the table yet.

All told, we have a very easy route to 40-45mil in available cap space. Plenty of options.

Personally I think Bruce and Gruden know they are on the hook this year. Forget tanking, I think we'll be spending. We might do it badly, but I don't think they will die wondering this offseason. 

Archived