Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

4 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Why not?

The concussions issue would be a concern for me, however.

He's had 7 concussions, has been suspended by the league for the start of the last THREE seasons (the last for a failed drug test) is a headcase on and off the field and pretty much no one in the NFL except Marvin Lewis believes his play is worth the baggage he brings. Now that Marvin Lewis is no longer employed by an NFL team I dount he finds another team willing to take a chance on him.

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

And the other thing that coaches love that I think some fans undervalue.... I bet he is one of our best blocking WRs.  I wonder what his snap count was last year, teams and offense, and how many of those were run plays.

He IS a good blocker at receiver. But that should be the cherry on the cake - not the whole damn meal 🙂

13 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

https://thefandc.radio.com/redskins-jay-gruden-frustrated-absolutely-involved-free-agency-process

Hoffman: Gruden frustrated, but 'absolutely' involved in Redskins' free agency process

March 18, 2019 - 11:06 am

Categories: 

By Craig Hoffman

This was the part I was referring to in my other post:

The Redskins had to add an inordinate amount of players during the season thanks to a borderline unbelievable amount of injuries for the second straight season. Gruden made it clear he wasn’t thrilled with how that process was handled.

“There’s a lot of things that probably need to change,” Gruden said on New Year’s Eve. “But moving forward we just all have to be on the same page as far as personnel, coaching and all that stuff. We have a good communication system in place right now but with all the injuries we’ve had it’s just hard to gauge ‘would we have been better with this guy in here and all our healthy guys?’ It’s just hard to gauge.”

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Yup, that Gruden Junkies rumor seems BS, just like how it smelled.

Would you have bet money on our general manager having NO idea we were signing a high price vet QB, just a year ago?  Never underestimate Bruce and Dan. Nor over lol.

Jay seems thrust into the role of PR and damage control; forcing him out to the media to explain the actions of his higher ups... those types don't always get the full story.

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

He's had 7 concussions, has been suspended by the league for the start of the last THREE seasons (the last for a failed drug test) is a headcase on and off the field and pretty much no one in the NFL except Marvin Lewis believes his play is worth the baggage he brings. Now that Marvin Lewis is no longer employed by an NFL team I dount he finds another team willing to take a chance on him.

However, when he plays he is clearly the 1st or 2nd best defender on the field. He would be a good buy-low candidate for a team with a bunch of holes and an unwillingness to make draft moves until next offseason. The concussions issue would be the only worry for me.

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Would you have bet money on our general manager having NO idea we were signing a high price vet QB, just a year ago?  Never underestimate Bruce and Dan. Nor over lol.

Jay seems thrust into the role of PR and damage control; forcing him out to the media to explain the actions of his higher ups... those types don't always get the full story.

Bruce IS our "GM"...not Williams. So he knew.

6 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

However, when he plays he is clearly the 1st or 2nd best defender on the field. He would be a good buy-low candidate for a team with a bunch of holes and an unwillingness to make draft moves until next offseason. The concussions issue would be the only worry for me.

Did you see any Bengals games last season? He was not good - especially in coverage. Plus he only played in 7 games and he made a total of 33 tackles in those 7 games.

That pro bowl appearance in 2013 is a long time ago now.

38 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Then put that in quotes. There are actually rules and guidelines to follow when quoting or paraphrasing someone...hell, I go through the trouble of adding ellipses to show I'm not quoting everything said, that there is more in between the first part of what I quote and the last part of what I quoted, just so that everyone understands there is more that i didn't include. I even do that stupid "[...]" to indicate that I skipped over parts of a quote or parts of an article...because for some damn reason I find it important to let others know in one form or another that I'm summarizing and acknowledging there's more to this that you might deem important.

Because I'm sorry, but Gruden never said what that guy QUOTED him as saying. And if what Gruden said was damning enough on its own, then it doesn't need to be filtered through anyone else's perception and paraphrased in that person's words...

"I agree, the guy misquoted Gruden because Jay never said that. But I don't care." -BatteredFanSyndrome, when reading that a quote attributed to Gruden was made up.

You cool with that above? Because if so, I'm gonna start quoting you like a mf'er lol...

What Jay actually said word for word vs. what was tweeted aren't that far apart.   Not far apart enough to call it BS.  Sure, if you feel compelled to call it out that it's not an exact quote, have at it.  But it wasn't a big stretch in the least.

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

What Jay actually said word for word vs. what was tweeted aren't that far apart.   Not far apart enough to call it BS.  Sure, if you feel compelled to call it out that it's not an exact quote, have at it.  But it wasn't a big stretch in the least.

Apart from it changing the meaning by about 180 degrees that is.

1 hour ago, Santana_Fan_ said:

Vontaze Burfict was released by the Bengals

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1107677051786612737?s=20

7 concussions and draws at least 1 suspension from league every other year. I'll pass!

2 hours ago, Santana_Fan_ said:

Skins have re-signed Brian Quick 😒

Image result for yeah gif

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

Yup, that Gruden Junkies rumor seems BS, just like how it smelled.

Jay's haters coming out and causing trouble?

58 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

It's a fact that Jay didn't know about the Smith deal until it was all but done. Amazing this doesn't get more traction. Could be because so many beat guys who know this are dependent on certain people for access and don't want to rock the boat. This is a major issue in sports journalism today. Jay being such a "go along to get along" guy plays a part as well.

I think people here probably misunderstand SOP. The coaching staff and Front Office will collaborate on personnel targets and priorities, but the FO will go out and execute on that. It's not particularly necessary and likely inefficient for the coaching staff to be 100% plugged in throughout the entire process. I'd hope they're kept appropriately in the loop and consulted on tradeoffs that are made, but the reports we hear don't get to that level of nuance so it's impossible to tell.

I think it's certainly plausible that the Redskins FO and coaching staff are below average relative to other franchises in staying in sync, but I don't for a second believe something like Gruden not "being involved at all" in FA.

14 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I think people here probably misunderstand SOP. The coaching staff and Front Office will collaborate on personnel targets and priorities, but the FO will go out and execute on that. It's not particularly necessary and likely inefficient for the coaching staff to be 100% plugged in throughout the entire process. I'd hope they're kept appropriately in the loop and consulted on tradeoffs that are made, but the reports we hear don't get to that level of nuance so it's impossible to tell.

I think it's certainly plausible that the Redskins FO and coaching staff are below average relative to other franchises in staying in sync, but I don't for a second believe something like Gruden not "being involved at all" in FA.

A lot of truth to that...I just wonder if it's a case of "Ok, so this is who we will go after once free agency starts" and then Bruce and Eric go do their thing. Hopefully, it is. If you think about it, the initial deals did not involve visits to the Redskins (during that "legal tampering" phase of free agency that never happens anyway, I don't think). Still, I don't see why your head coach wouldn't be told "We're going after Collins hard this weekend" or whatever. Of course, maybe he was but he didn't know the deal had been struck until one of his media buddies texted him.

And yeah, it's ludicrous to think Gruden plays no role whatsoever in free agency, he just finds out on twitter like the rest of us that the Skins were interested in or signed a player.  I expect Gruden at some point to say that he is indeed involved in the draft and free agency, and for nobody to believe him.

5 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

By no means is he a great coach but I feel bad for Jay. 

This season is setting up to be a disaster and he’s going to be the one to bear all repercussions. I firmly believe he’ll be gone before Thanksgiving. 

If I was him, I’d be leaking **** too. Save yourself 

If this season is setting up to be a disaster why the **** has Allen spent all that money on Collins. 

HTTR 

9 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

The hope, I assume, is that Collins will help add Ws to the ledger next year or the following year, and then keep helping the team accumulate wins...we got him for 6 seasons, afterall.

Sure.

2019 is the pressing matter tho. Think there are too many holes for a safety to cover up. 

if the team lucks into good roster construction in the future, then yes, his impact is amplified 

Archived