Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

42 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I hate the Giants as much as anyone, but I don't get why they're getting killed for the trade.  They got good value in return for a malcontent and weekly distraction.  Felt like a win for both teams.  By comparison take a look at what the Steelers had to settle for in the Antonio Brown fiasco.

The way i see it this is a terrible move for Cleveland. You are putting a head case like Odell with a 2nd year QB who is on the cusp of already being a probowl QB and on top of that speaks his mind as well. How many games into the season before Odell has his first meltdown for either a Cleveland losing streak or not getting the ball enough. Cleveland is LOADED, Jarvis Landry, David Njokui, Kareem hunt & nick chubb.....  

The Giants on the other hand have gone into full on rebuild mode, Unlike the Redskins they know when to pack it in and start cleaning house. A First round pick while unloading a cancer like Odell and his bloated contract ? Yes please. Giants fans should be ecstatic. Now letting Landon Collins go, that one i don't get. 

Couple things: 

-I'm cool with the Collins deal. If he would have been there in the 2nd round in 2015, pretty sure he would have been picked by the Skins.

-Glad Beckham is gone. I think the could have gotten more, but overall decent haul. My take is that they will mortgage a part of their draft for a QB now that they have ample picks. 

-Interested to see what we do next. I don't think we will have any additional HUGE signings, but I could see a mid tier pass rusher, WR and/or OL all in the mix prior to the draft. 

39 minutes ago, Poindexter said:

I hope the rest of the league overlooks Jason Verrett as well.  Hopefully we look into acquiring him.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-free-agency-day-2-here-are-pete-priscos-10-under-the-radar-players-who-could-make-a-difference/

Injured all last year with an Achilles injury?  I would imagine teams will their due diligence on him first.

Just now, jsharrin55 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-free-agency-day-2-here-are-pete-priscos-10-under-the-radar-players-who-could-make-a-difference/

Injured all last year with an Achilles injury?  I would imagine teams will their due diligence on him first.

2 knee surgeries and a torn ACL... yea, no thanks.

if we go CB I would prefer Bryce Callahan, Pierre Desir, or bring back Bashaud Breeland.

27 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

This is second time you’ve floated this narrative out there while completely ignoring the fact that Brown forced the trade and was in search of a big new deal.  Beckham’s situation was completely opposite of that and he was blindsided by the trade.

Why you do this? 

What narrative?  Are you talking about the truth?  The Steelers botched the Antonio Brown situation and caved to a player who had no leverage because he was under contract.  A team that has SB aspirations traded the best WR in the NFL for a third and fifth and had to eat a big old dead cap **** sandwich for the trouble of getting fleeced.  The Giants are a rebuilding team that got a first and third and a nice young prospect in exchange for a lesser player who was even more expensive and a luxury for them and every bit the diva and cancer that Brown is.

4 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

2 knee surgeries and a torn ACL... yea, no thanks.

if we go CB I would prefer Bryce Callahan, Pierre Desir, or bring back Bashaud Breeland.

From that under the radar list there are a few guys I'd consider since we are likely bargain shopping.  Shane Ray has talent, but also injuries (seems healthy at least for now) and was fairly buried on the Broncos depth chart.  I'd like seeing him as a rotational guy/insurance to our OLB.  He is motivated.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/12/31/broncos-shane-ray-nfl-future/

Just now, jsharrin55 said:

From that under the radar list there are a few guys I'd consider since we are likely bargain shopping.  Shane Ray has talent, but also injuries and was fairly buried on the Broncos depth chart.  I'd like seeing him as a rotational guy/insurance to our OLB.  He is motivated.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/12/31/broncos-shane-ray-nfl-future/

Shaq Barrett has a better resume... took over Ray's starting role...

For comparison's sake, Fitzgerald expects a three-year, $21-23 million contract for fellow Broncos pass-rusher Shaquil Barrett, a former undrafted free agent. Spotrac.com previously predicted that Barrett would land a four-year, $29.779 million deal, making him the league's 16th-highest-paid OLB.

Them's the breaks, though, after Ray fell from his starting role as Von Miller's bookend — he broke out with eight sacks in 2016 — to being the backup's backup. He was clearly outperformed by Barrett, who totaled 27 tackles and three sacks across 12 appearances in 2018, despite playing just 276 defensive snaps. Ray finished with 10 tackles and a sack across 11 appearances (253 snaps).

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

What narrative?  Are you talking about the truth?  The Steelers botched the Antonio Brown situation and caved to a player who had no leverage because he was under contract.  A team that has SB aspirations traded the best WR in the NFL for a third and fifth and had to eat a big old dead cap **** sandwich for the trouble of getting fleeced.  The Giants are a rebuilding team that got a first and third and a nice young prospect in exchange for a lesser player who was even more expensive and a luxury for them and every bit the diva and cancer that Brown is.

Brown went from zero guaranteed money to $31M guaranteed because he “had no leverage”.

Thats a good one!!

14 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Now letting Landon Collins go, that one i don't get.  

He's not worth paying 14 million a year to keep.  Same reason we let Preston Smith go.

I get that we want to love Collins.  It's nice to sign a guy at a position of need who wants to be here.  But the fact remains we paid elite cornerback money to get PFF's 39th ranked safety last season.  It was a desperate overpay to fill a hole and help a lame duck front office and coaching staff survive another season or two.  And unfortunately his salary is such that, unless he suddenly becomes a DPOY caliber player, we will have to cut or renegotiate him after that second season in order to avoid the 17 million dollar cap hit, and eat 9 million in dead cap if we cut him.

Just now, SemperFi Skins said:

Shaq Barrett has a better resume... took over Ray's starting role...

For comparison's sake, Fitzgerald expects a three-year, $21-23 million contract for fellow Broncos pass-rusher Shaquil Barrett, a former undrafted free agent. Spotrac.com previously predicted that Barrett would land a four-year, $29.779 million deal, making him the league's 16th-highest-paid OLB.

Them's the breaks, though, after Ray fell from his starting role as Von Miller's bookend — he broke out with eight sacks in 2016 — to being the backup's backup. He was clearly outperformed by Barrett, who totaled 27 tackles and three sacks across 12 appearances in 2018, despite playing just 276 defensive snaps. Ray finished with 10 tackles and a sack across 11 appearances (253 snaps).

Probably true, but at this stage I don't see Barrett as bargain bin ;)  I do understand why Barrett would be a target (and a primary one at that).  Health IS something we should consider highly.

With the wrist injury and surgery, who know if he was 100% or not when Barrett took over.  Not saying I'd break the bank on him, but he fits a 1 year prove it deal to me. 

8 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I didn't crown them SB champs, I said they're lightyears better than us. And they are. It's not even a controversial observation to say that, it's readily apparent. 

Franchise QB. Progressive offensive HC who he already clicked with. Offensive talent out the ass and an interesting defensive depth chart as well. Plenty of draft picks and cap space. 

It's not even a contest. Pull your head out of the beach and shake the sand out of your eyes, you sound ridiculous. I know you're a blind homer, but posts like this really hurt your credibility on other topics involving the roster, FO, etc. Zoony started a thread on the Browns being way ahead of us like 2-3 years ago, it wasn't even a controversial thought then, and it's now coming to fruition big time. 

It doesn't even matter what the Browns do this year. They are speeding in the right direction in the passing lane and we're stalling out on the off-ramp to mediocrity. 

Obviously a blind Homer.. ok. If that's me then you're obviously a blind hater.

Like I said. They've got some good young pieces and on paper look formidable. But until they actually achieve something it's all moot.

I'm not saying the Redskins are the best run best assembled team, because they're not.

I think there are some great young pieces to build around on this roster and this team is trending in the right direction as well. obviously were missing a QB, but it's not all doom and gloom like you obviously feel.

If things are truly that bad for you then maybe you should be a cowboy or browns fan.

22 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

How exactly did they botch it? Yeah they had to eat dead cap to get rid of him, they'd have had the same problem if they were paying him and he refused to play. They had to get rid of the guy. Everyone knew they had no leverage, just like us here with Kirk.

They had to get rid of that guy. Best player or not, he turned into a cancerous head case, and needed to be shown the door post haste.

Paying a guy like that ain't gonna make him love you.. they'd just be caving in a different way.

Similar here to the Kirk situation.

Everyone hoped he'd want to stay, but his mind was made to and it was glaringly apparent at the end that he was leaving and no sweet talking would make him stay.

36 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

The way i see it this is a terrible move for Cleveland. You are putting a head case like Odell with a 2nd year QB who is on the cusp of already being a probowl QB and on top of that speaks his mind as well. How many games into the season before Odell has his first meltdown for either a Cleveland losing streak or not getting the ball enough. Cleveland is LOADED, Jarvis Landry, David Njokui, Kareem hunt & nick chubb.....  

The Giants on the other hand have gone into full on rebuild mode, Unlike the Redskins they know when to pack it in and start cleaning house. A First round pick while unloading a cancer like Odell and his bloated contract ? Yes please. Giants fans should be ecstatic. Now letting Landon Collins go, that one i don't get. 

LOL imagine thinking Odell is a cancer. Dave Gettleman has some ocean front property in NYC he wants to sell you. Is there anywhere I can go to just read people posting the latest news? All these terrible opinions on here consume too much space. 

10 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Serious question... what would you give for Von Miller? All these other crazy trades going on, just wondering... 

Personally I wouldn't. 

I don't think you try to trade for any elite level players until you have a franchise quarterback in place, or at the very least someone with that potential. 

What we need to focus on now is how are we going to get the signal caller of the future in burgundy and gold.

Will we trade for rosen?

Will we draft someone in the first round this year?

There's nothing wrong with signing some free agents when you dont have a franchise quarterback but to give up a ton of draft capital when you dont is in my mind self defeating. 

Just now, redskinss said:

Personally I wouldn't. 

I don't think you try to trade for any elite level players until you have a franchise quarterback in place, or at the very least someone with that potential. 

What we need to focus on now is how are we going to get the signal caller of the future in burgundy and gold.

Will we trade for rosen?

Will we draft someone in the first round this year?

There's nothing wrong with signing some free agents when you dont have a franchise quarterback but to give up a ton of draft capital when you dont is in my mind self defeating. 

not a bad way to look at it, but I go the other direction. Defense wins championships and we're almost there on the defense. Sign a guy like Von Miller and it's a great defense. Championships have been won with many non-franchise QB's.... Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Nick Foles, Joe Flacco.... Case Keenum went 13-3 with that Vikings defense...

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The Collins contract is essentially a 3yr/45M deal...nothing more or less.  Is he overpaid?  No more so than any splashy FA signing for any team in any era.

And comparing him to Preston Smith is amusing.  Collins is a vastly more impactful player.

He is vastly overpaid for being a good but not great box safety.

Re: the second sentence

Preston Smith

c3zzf1S.png

Landon Collins

A6qnpOM.png

About the same, except Preston Smith was better last season and his deal is a little cheaper and he plays a vastly more valuable position.  We're treading water.

13 hours ago, RWJ said:

This is interesting and IF true it makes me wonder if AP is coming back to the Skins or do they have intentions on signing another RB.  May have nothing to do with it.

I heard commentary about AP being the guy teams pickup in August when their guy gets injured.  It makes sense as AP performs best with a rhythm of carries.  He doesn't want to be a backup and he's been in talks with Philly as well. 

1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

not a bad way to look at it, but I go the other direction. Defense wins championships and we're almost there on the defense. Sign a guy like Von Miller and it's a great defense. Championships have been won with many non-franchise QB's.... Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Nick Foles, Joe Flacco.... Case Keenum went 13-3 with that Vikings defense...

True but I just dont see a von Miller type move as one that puts us over the top.

Many of those examples you listed are quarterbacks who had supporting casts far better than what we have even with a von miller.

You used case Keenum with the Vikings as an example and I'd like to point out the flipside of that argument. 

The Vikings may have found out the hard way what happens when you build a great roster but not around a franchise signal caller.

There are certainly ways to win a superbowl without a franchise quarterback but not the most common and effective ones and believe the smartest plan for the Redskins is to continue to try to win with a plan on how to acquire a potential franchise quarterback. 

That's why I love the thought of getting Rosen on the cheap, I think he still has a ton of potential and we can continue to build around him.

If we could somehow pull off a trade with Arizona for a second or third round pick I wouldn't be totally opposed to a blockbuster trade similar to what the bears did with mack last year.

Archived