Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, Peregrine said:

So, we literally just spent 14 million MORE per year to be just as good as we were last year.  Great move.

Because Swearinger was every bit as good as Collins for a fraction of the cost.  Smells of a deal to put butts in the seats, pay a massive amount for a guy who's good, and swears by Sean Taylor.  Makes Collins the highest paid safety in NFL history.

I disagree that DJ is as good a player. But yes we overpayed. Collins is an All Pro and was ranked the 28th best player IN THE LEAGUE by his peers in 2017. 

12 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Come on, man. Give it a chance... No need for the negativity. We all know we've been ass for a while but this is a decent move

So, like, are you new here? 😜

I wish we could make a rule that "highest paid X position in history" wouldn't be allowed in posts.

Literally every single year there is a new highest paid player at his position.  That's exactly how it works, and has always worked, in this league since free agency.  Best player to the highest bidder.

The stat you want to look at is cap percentage.

A quick twitch edge rusher away from having pieces on levels to potentially lead the team to victories and have offense chip in. 

Edge rushers are so so tough to come by though :/. Not all that dissimilar to finding an elite QB. 

5 minutes ago, Art said:

Expect us to add two more big names quickly.   We're still Hotel California for players we target :).   I'm stunned we'd do this for Gruden and Manusky, but it is what it is.   

Art are you expecting one of those big names to be Mosely?

I am not sure we overpaid.  Andrew Brandt talks about contracts a lot and the announcements about the numbers are almost always from the agent and not the team.  If the $45m in guarantees includes injury guarantees as well then the true actual value may be way lower than the initial reports.  Probably huge numbers for years 5 and 6 of the deal too which we all know will never be paid because they are outside of the guarantee and so he will either get a new deal or be cut depending on performance.

5 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

So, we literally just spent 14 million MORE per year to be just as good as we were last year.  Great move.

Because Swearinger was every bit as good as Collins for a fraction of the cost.  Smells of a deal to put butts in the seats, pay a massive amount for a guy who's good, and swears by Sean Taylor.  Makes Collins the highest paid safety in NFL history.

All in a year where everyone was SHOCKED how many good safeties were on the market.  We could have had a good player at any price we wanted to name.

I think this is a bit much.   I liked Swearinger a lot and I think he played really well for us.   However, he's not even close to the type of player Collins is.   Swearinger has been CUT by three teams for a reason.   Collins is younger.   Bigger.   Faster.   Stronger.   A starter since Day 1 in a division we play in, meaning he'll know LOTS of tips and things others will be doing without much ramp up.   

Swearinger was also paid something and is not every bit as good as Collins, but, yes, for the monetary difference his performance for us was probably not as wide as the money gap is for at least this year.   That's a reasonable assessment.   Collins is 25.    Which other safeties are on the market with his age and pedigree?   I'm not suggesting he's not being paid more than we've seen.   But we're not going to get a home team, favorite team discount from anyone.    We're GOING to over pay to get ANYONE, including retaining our own.   That's just our current reality.   

1 minute ago, Art said:

Because while all teams are profitable in the NFL, most owners aren't so wealthy that they can take money out of their accounts to pay immediate large sums of money, far surpassing the cap in immediate terms, for a payoff that may not ever come or may not come for years.   The Glazers are less liquid than Snyder.   Green Bay is less liquid.   Pittsburgh.   ETC.   You don't see all teams do it because all teams can't.   Some can.   The Rams couldn't in St. Louis, but could in LA because of market and prospective growth.   It isn't necessarily good or bad to do it.   It CAN be good.   It can be dumb.   We never really were punished by it when we did it a lot more often as we didn't really ever have a HUGE, massive, total bust, perhaps other than Sanders and Haynesworth.   You really need to get crushed on those sorts of deals for it to hurt you for any length of time.  

Expect us to add two more big names quickly.   We're still Hotel California for players we target :).   I'm stunned we'd do this for Gruden and Manusky, but it is what it is.   

Mr. Snyder is pretty rich.  I know he just bought that yacht.  That made me worry that he couldn't spend money on good players, so this is a relief.

One thing that is surprising is that you listed teams like the Steelers and Packers.  They seem to be in contention every year.  But you are right, they are cheap.  They just traded Brown and are letting Bell walk. Good luck with that Pittsbrugh!

The Rams make sense.  They went from the smallest venue in the league when they were in St. Louis to one of the biggest.  Doing some research on wikipedia it can hold 78,500 fans!  

Speaking of Bell, could you imagine getting him?  If Snyder gave him a lot of money to skip the cap, I bet that would be a VERY safe bet.  The trio of him, Peterson and Guice would be amazing.  I would nickname the back fields The Past, The Present and The future.   Then get Suh on an all cash deal (one, maybe 2 years maximum) and we would have a scary defense and a run game to grind down the other teams!!!!

Just now, RWJ said:

Art are you expecting one of those big names to be Mosely?

I can only say this on Mosely.   If he shows up to Redskins Park go to Vegas and bet on him never leaving.   

I do not think he'll get here.   I think he'll agree in the tampering period with someone else before we can do the magic we do once they arrive.   But, yeah, he with Reuben Foster creates an interior pair that removes many of the flaws the defense has had as a 3-4 from a personnel perspective (though I still think Foster is better in a 4-3).   We still have the edge problem with two defensive ends playing OLB who can't cover the flat AT ALL, but you can't cure everything :).

1 minute ago, Art said:

I can only say this on Mosely.   If he shows up to Redskins Park go to Vegas and bet on him never leaving.   

I do not think he'll get here.   I think he'll agree in the tampering period with someone else before we can do the magic we do once they arrive.   But, yeah, he with Reuben Foster creates an interior pair that removes many of the flaws the defense has had as a 3-4 from a personnel perspective (though I still think Foster is better in a 4-3).   We still have the edge problem with two defensive ends playing OLB who can't cover the flat AT ALL, but you can't cure everything :).

Sounds like a no to me.  Thnaks for replying back. :)  Appreciate the info. :)

3 minutes ago, Art said:

<snip>

We're GOING to over pay to get ANYONE, including retaining our own.   That's just our current reality.   

That's the thing; this is always the reality.  We'll always be perceived as overpaying, but aside from Osweiler in Houston, there is no "overpaying" versus paying what the market dictates.

This applies to all 32 teams every year, and all 32 fanbases will have armchair cap gurus (not aimed at you Art, your post was more a segue) who can say that their team overpaid but don't know anything about contract structures or what competing offers were.

When you can't MMQB, might as well MMGM.

I mean, I wish things had worked out with Swearinger as we’d have more money to spend elsewhere.  However, I love the talent, leadership and fandom Collins brings.  We’ll see what the details of the deal look like and what we do going forward.  I agree we need an edge rusher (preferably one with speed), but we also need to figure out ILB and I hope we add someone to compete with Stroman in the slot.  

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Sounds like a no to me.  Thnaks for replying back. :)  Appreciate the info. :)

Take it that if the legal tampering didn't exist Mosely would be a Redskin :).   And may be a Redskin.   But the legal tampering period hurts us in that endeavor :).

Just now, Art said:

Take it that if the legal tampering didn't exist Mosely would be a Redskin :).   And may be a Redskin.   But the legal tampering period hurts us in that endeavor :).

Guess we are in it till he agrees with someone.  May that someone be us. :)

1 minute ago, NewCliche21 said:

Ugh, that's a hit right in the feels.  Friggin' love that guy.

This draft is full of good WR.  Isabella would be a steal in the 3rd round for us and I think better than Jamison.  JMO.  :)

I don't think teams will trade for Desean @10 million.  Could you imagine bringing him back on a cheap deal?  I know there are rumors about the eagles, but no way he goes there after they smeared his name with "gang ties".  

And before anyone blasts this thought because he is older, did you know he lead the league in YPC?

1 minute ago, NewCliche21 said:

That's the thing; this is always the reality.  We'll always be perceived as overpaying, but aside from Osweiler in Houston, there is no "overpaying" versus paying what the market dictates.

This applies to all 32 teams every year, and all 32 fanbases will have armchair cap gurus (not aimed at you Art, your post was more a segue) who can say that their team overpaid but don't know anything about contract structures or what competing offers were.

When you can't MMQB, might as well MMGM.

You are right of course.   The market always generates bigger deals than a player is probably worth.   Case Keenum worth what Denver gave?   :)

In my career I've never stayed at one place not because I haven't liked it, but because that place gives COLA raises and a new job will give a big raise.   THEN I have gone back places for another raise they'd never have given had I stayed.   So, the willingness to move does generate larger deals.    I've gone from $50K to $250K by moving.   I'd be at $140K by staying.   If that's my reality, the reality for players in the NFL is staggering.   Thus Case Keenum one year to the next :).

But REALLY good teams can get a discount.   Durant gave the Warriors a discount as did Cousins.    New England gets discounts.   Because some players are willing to forgo some dollars for some trophies.   But those sacrifices don't last forever :).   See Durant.

Archived