Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

There's no reason to sign Preston Smith to a major contract.  As the OLB he's paid to sack the QB and he's never had the numbers to deserve a huge contract.  Skins absolutely need to draft an Edge rusher to compliment Kerrigan (or at least to eventually fill his shoes).

I think Jamison Crowder would be much more productive if there were other good WRs on the team.  But I don't know whether a big contract is in the Skins best interests long-term.  Maybe the Skins need to draft a couple WRs this year.

Whether the Skins draft a QB this year or next the team isn't going to win much in 2019.  The team shouldn't deliberately tank but top management should evaluate whether pricey veterans are worth paying versus a younger player that has the potential to improve with a year of playing experience.

On 2/6/2019 at 12:05 PM, Califan007 said:

Yeah, I don’t want to weaken one position just to upgrade another position to “decent”...Roullier should stay at center and a serious upgrade at LG should be sought.

Exactly my thoughts. Roullier did a good job at center and also played every single snap last year, the only player on the whole team to do so. Upgrading LG should be high on the list

On 2/6/2019 at 4:14 PM, PlayAction said:

Skins have never needed a true #1 in this offense.  The problem is that the Skins have tried to make do with #4/#5 WRs that can never win against man coverage.  Last season Paul Richardson was Smith's go-to guy but he got beaten up because his frame isn't built to take so many hits.  I think Richardson will be able to produce much more if he's not asked to do it all.  Unfortunately, there isn't that other reliable WR on the roster.  I think the Skins need both an upgrade free-agent AND to invest a 3rd round pick or higher in the draft.  If Jamison Crowder can get a mega-contract then the Skins should let him walk and take any comp pick selection next year.  That leaves Doctson (minimal production but maybe he'll improve with 3 better WRs in front of him); Trey Quinn (developing slot WR); Robert Davis (developing WR too often injured); Cam Sims (maybe goes back to the practice squad unless he shows more potential).  That's it.  The other guys currently on the roster are low production vets and rookies that are practice squad material at best.  So, yes if Williams can be signed I say go for it.  Then draft another!  Maybe draft two WRs if a round 5-7 guy has potential to outperform Doctson, Davis or Sims.

This is funny. This offense hasn't produced anything without McVay and Jackson/Garcon.  

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Jackson was most definitely a #1

Disagree. Jackson was a #1 with the Eagles and a big play maker in DC but he doesn't get enough catches or yards to be a #1 anymore. If he's your #1 your team is in trouble. He's also too brittle to be counted on as a #1 on any team. The Skins don't have anything close to a #1 receiver right now and even a #2 is debatable in my opinion. Richardson and Crowder both seem like 3's to me and Doc isn't even a solid 4 right now. 

19 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Got to wonder what he's after. I can see him getting 3-4mil APY deal over 3 years.  Maybe a 3/12mil actually paying him 7mil in cash over the next 2 years.

What's thoughts on that amongst the ES community...what's he worth...

11 hours ago, markmills67 said:

13.5m Guaranteed, about 10m more than Allen would offer. 

HTTR 

A 3 year 24mil max deal is pretty good. 8mil average per year demonstrates that we need to jettison Norman like yesterday....or ask him to take a salary cut first. Chances are he'd love to be kicked out though.

19 hours ago, PlayAction said:

There's no reason to sign Preston Smith to a major contract.  As the OLB he's paid to sack the QB and he's never had the numbers to deserve a huge contract.

I think we should look at ZaDarius Smith in free agency.

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Washington Redskins

The Redskins lose linebacker Preston Smith and wide receiver Jamison Crowder to free agency.

The Redskins have expressed a desire to retain both players. But there has been little movement toward re-signing either. Because of the importance of pass-rushers, Smith will have a strong market considering he's only 26 years old, has good length and has shown he can be a durable all-around player. His price tag could reach around $14 million per year, which would be a lot for someone with 24.5 career sacks -- and for a team with approximately $20 million in cap space right now. They'd love to keep Crowder and he would be cheaper to retain than Smith. But he could fetch at least $8 million per year on the open market, and that will be tough for the Redskins to match. -- John Keim

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25944721/bold-2019-nfl-offseason-predictions-all-32-teams

25 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Yikes that's a lot of money.

Not surprised ... at all. I have written Smith completely off. Crowder I was hoping could come back, but I don't think we give him $8m APY on top of what we've give Richardson, which is also about $8m APY.

Will likely have to double-down on WR in the draft.

The WR and EDGE markets in FA are some of the most aggressive. Look at Trent Murphy and Ryan Grant (before he got screwed) last year.

I think we probably end up letting both of these guys walk. I would like to see us try and bring in Dante Fowler or Shane Ray ... two guys with huge upside but who have underperformed on their rookie deals/expectations, and see if I can get one of them to take a $5-9m APY deal. Otherwise, I think you have to address pass rusher fairly early. Nothing wrong with that, but it would inhibit your ability to get a Hockenson, Murray, or stud Guard there at 15.

I remember the Shane Ray hype kinda like Ray Mulaga (Diff positions) but both heradled outta college. Ryan Anderson has started even slower but its not like Smith has a lot of sacks either.   If Ray is affordable then fine but we need a young guy to develop also. 

1 hour ago, RabidFan said:

I remember the Shane Ray hype kinda like Ray Mulaga (Diff positions) but both heradled outta college. Ryan Anderson has started even slower but its not like Smith has a lot of sacks either.   If Ray is affordable then fine but we need a young guy to develop also. 

Shane Ray has been in the league for 4 years and has 14 total sacks and a history of health issues. Hard pass for me. I don’t think he’s any better thank ryan Anderson. 

I can't imagine what team would pay Smith $14M per yr.

The best thing that ever happened to players and agents when was Florio started his subscription-based analytics business which is really a tool for his agent buddies to use as leverage they wouldn't have had 20 years ago.

12 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Disagree. Jackson was a #1 with the Eagles and a big play maker in DC but he doesn't get enough catches or yards to be a #1 anymore. If he's your #1 your team is in trouble. He's also too brittle to be counted on as a #1 on any team. The Skins don't have anything close to a #1 receiver right now and even a #2 is debatable in my opinion. Richardson and Crowder both seem like 3's to me and Doc isn't even a solid 4 right now. 

Now, it’s debatable, but years with Skins he was unquestionably a #1 WR when on the field. 

Only player that frightened D coordinators each week in long time for Skins. Probably since Santana. 

10 hours ago, wit33 said:

Now, it’s debatable, but years with Skins he was unquestionably a #1 WR when on the field. 

Only player that frightened D coordinators each week in long time for Skins. Probably since Santana. 

I think we are thinking different things when it comes to a #1 WR.  Teams definitely had to plan for Jackson because of his breakout speed and superior ability to adjust to the ball.  I'm not saying he wasn't a great WR (especially compared to the rest of the WR group the Skins have now).  But, Jackson was a one-dimensional WR and functioned best in his specific role (i.e., stretching the field).  The Skins were always trying to get him the ball because he was the most dynamic WR on the roster (WR screens, sometimes in the slot).  Still, if you look at the number of catches and yards each season he wasn't the Go-To WR that you see on other teams.  When you look at the truly competitive teams (e.g., Rams, Chiefs) you realize that they all have 3 WRs better than the best WR on the Skins team.  I don't think the Skins will be able to invest 8 million in Crowder.  So what's left?  Paul Richardson (good but often injured so don't force him into contested catches).  Trey Quinn (limited experience but promising slot WR).  Doctson (specialty WR for jump balls but limited production).  Then there's the development WRs (Robert Davis and Cam Sims).  Sims may become a good down field blocking WR but his draft profile said he would struggle to get separation in the NFL.  So who knows?  Skins need two more productive WRs - one for the slot and another X/Y.

11 hours ago, wit33 said:

If anything, Garcon was more a #1 than Jackson. But in reality they were both good #2s. Nothing wrong with that at all. And that's not a knock on either one. Jackson was a one trick pony, but man what a trick! I am not sure I have ever seen anyone who can track a deep ball down like he could. But without Garcon on the field, they could just sit on Jackson and take him out of the game. I true #1 still gets theirs. 

I have been hard on the FO, and rightfully so. But they did a good job of getting Jackson when they could and pairing him with Garcon - even though it was not really their plan. The problem was letting them both go without replacing them properly. I really think Pryor could have been more productive had they kept Garcon. But that's just me. 

This off-season will be interesting. I just hope that in an effort to save his job, Bruce does not sell the house to jump and get a QB = ala Robert. I would invest heavily on the run game and pass rush, mostly meaning the draft but they can get some CAP if they want it even with Alex's contract.  

51 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

I think we are thinking different things when it comes to a #1 WR.  Teams definitely had to plan for Jackson because of his breakout speed and superior ability to adjust to the ball.  I'm not saying he wasn't a great WR (especially compared to the rest of the WR group the Skins have now).  But, Jackson was a one-dimensional WR and functioned best in his specific role (i.e., stretching the field).  The Skins were always trying to get him the ball because he was the most dynamic WR on the roster (WR screens, sometimes in the slot).  Still, if you look at the number of catches and yards each season he wasn't the Go-To WR that you see on other teams. 

His production from a target to yardage/big play/td perspective is all time great level. He required roughly a 100 targets to get to a 1000 yards when healthy with Skins. 

Youre right, he’s not your prototype #1 WR (who really cares though, right... just make an impact no matter your size) but his impact in production for others and the team overall is felt in a game like other prototypes. Other top WRs ( I’m talking top 20) don’t provide his level of big play ability or strike same fear of beating a team over the top. Most coaches preach against getting beat deep and will scheme to bend more with a player like Jackson on the field. Helping teammates to eat and feast underneath or with intermediate routes.  

The NFL has identified him as a top 10-20 paid guy at his position for past 6-7 years, even as plus 30 year old guy. That’s unprecedented. I’ve always envisioned him as a Joey Galloway/Darrel Green type

speed guy, meaning, it’s seems so effortless and fluid him getting to high gears. Thus why I was in support resigning him even though he was going to enter his 30s. 

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What's the status on Nicholson's charges ?

Does he have a court date ?

Do the Redskins plan to bring him back, and will he face a possible suspension ?

Surprised I havn't heard a peep about this in months.

Court has been postponed to May 14

On 2/8/2019 at 2:14 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Washington Redskins

The Redskins lose linebacker Preston Smith and wide receiver Jamison Crowder to free agency.

The Redskins have expressed a desire to retain both players. But there has been little movement toward re-signing either. Because of the importance of pass-rushers, Smith will have a strong market considering he's only 26 years old, has good length and has shown he can be a durable all-around player. His price tag could reach around $14 million per year, which would be a lot for someone with 24.5 career sacks -- and for a team with approximately $20 million in cap space right now. They'd love to keep Crowder and he would be cheaper to retain than Smith. But he could fetch at least $8 million per year on the open market, and that will be tough for the Redskins to match. -- John Keim

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25944721/bold-2019-nfl-offseason-predictions-all-32-teams

I kind of disagree with this because it's a strong FA market and lots of edge competition this year.   Demarcus Lawrence, Frank Clark, Trey Flowers, Ziggy Ansah, Shaq Barrett, Dante Fowler, Aaron Lync and likely tags on Clowney/Ford.

I would prefer they pursue Fowler if they go that route looking for a good edge rusher in FA.

If the draft is deep with edge rushers and we loose p.smith I say we use the second rnd pick on an edge rusher to replace p.smith... I personally would like to see us use the number 15 pick on the best wr available..I was focused on what qb needy teams pick before us, now I'm looking (at u skinsinparadise lol)at wr needy teams that pick before us..I could see the best wr available there at 15 if so that would be Crowder's replacement.. I believe I seen a post on here about the skins and Scherff hammering out a deal as well as AP.. I don't see much happening here in free agency. However I predict Flacco or Teddy b coming here. Maybe Flacco would catch second wind and finish his career here on a high note.

49 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I kind of disagree with this because it's a strong FA market and lots of edge competition this year.   Demarcus Lawrence, Frank Clark, Trey Flowers, Ziggy Ansah, Shaq Barrett, Dante Fowler, Aaron Lync and likely tags on Clowney/Ford.

I would prefer they pursue Fowler if they go that route looking for a good edge rusher in FA.

I see the name Ziggy ansah and I drool...has he had any serious injuries of late?...any Lions game I remember watching he would reek absolute havock..I wouldn't mind him to replace p Smith

Archived