Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

22 minutes ago, dyst said:

The entire Alex Smith singing was a bad idea from the start. Trading a decent draft pick and a young corner for an aging QB who was never really that good but the kicker was giving him a new expensive contract. Made no sense then and it is even worse now due to his injury. Just a bunch of idiots who thought we were 'close'. Should have just started McCoy instead of being stuck with this.

Womp, womp...

Sucks for all involved, no doubt. 

44 minutes ago, wit33 said:

@Skinsinparadise

Thanks. Got years 2 and 3 jumbled together and incorrect.

How does the insurance policy work for Skins and cap savings potentially?

That makes it a bit more difficult to sign Scherff under my original premise. 

Scherff is under contract for $12.525 mil against the cap this year on his team option that we picked up.  if we sign him to an extension NOW we can still save some much needed money going forward.  Trent comes off the books after next season, and I'd like to extend him as well, but can't happen at the $12.5 he's due to get now. 

Moses has 3 more years on his deal, after this season, but if we were to move on we'd drop his cap hit to $3.8 mil in 20, and $1.9mil in 21. 

We need to sign Scherff now.  We also need to draft a top tier tackle in the upcoming draft and have the overlap.  If we were to let Scherff walk, we're sacrificing good young talent with the idea that we can't afford to pay 3 lineman that kind of money... the problem with that idea is that AFTER next season, Williams (and if we choose to) Moses either get a lot more affordable, or they are no longer on the payroll.  There's no guarantee that Trent (age 33) even re-signs here.  To end up after next season with ONLY Morgan Moses left of those 3 would be a major mistake.  If I had to choose 1 of those 3 to remain on the team after 20, it's Scherff 100%. 

We have a window of 3 years with possibly a top tier defensive unit.  After that, pieces are going to need to get paid WELL which means some decisions are going to have to get made.  We need to overlap the talent in the unit.   Scherff is a top talent in the league, you can't just let that walk out of your building.  

19 minutes ago, dyst said:

The entire Alex Smith singing was a bad idea from the start. Trading a decent draft pick and a young corner for an aging QB who was never really that good but the kicker was giving him a new expensive contract. Made no sense then and it is even worse now due to his injury. Just a bunch of idiots who thought we were 'close'. Should have just started McCoy instead of being stuck with this.

This. I don't know what fools thought we were, "close", but we clearly weren't close to anything except the first round of the playoffs, and mediocrity. Any ES forum member could have told them that. I love it when FO leadership, cough-wizards-cough, is a orders of magnitude worse than fans on a sports forum at drafting and signing.

I might have felt different if Alex Smith was young, but he was 34 and we gave up a very good CB and a pick. And, we could have had Kirk on a cheap contract without giving that up, if they had locked him up when they should have. Kirk on a more reasonable contract would be fine, and we still could have drafted Haskins. The mismanagement of the QB position alone is enough reason to fire Allen. 

In any case, it sounds like we can probably get out of 12 million of that 21 million 2020 cap hit as long as Smith can't play, which should be a given. 

We can free up a lot of cap next year moving on from Norman, Trent and Reed.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 35mil, with zero priority re-signs beyond Scherff.  Of course, that means we need to find (good) starters at corner, tackle and TE by the start of 2020... no easy task, even with ample cap space.  

3 hours ago, skinny21 said:

We can free up a lot of cap next year moving on from Norman, Trent and Reed.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 35mil, with zero priority re-signs beyond Scherff.  Of course, that means we need to find (good) starters at corner, tackle and TE by the start of 2020... no easy task, even with ample cap space.  

Heck, we can save $38 million next year just by cutting Norman and Reed this year.  Im honestly not sure either are worth having on the roster this year anyway, with Reed too injured, and Moreau supposedly better outside where Norman is playing anyway.  Waiting one more year to cut them shorts us 18 million, and I just dont think they are worth even half of that right now, and about expendable.

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't see the point in cutting Reed or Norman this offseason, unless there's players available out there, that are worthy of taking up the cap space currently occupied by Norman and/or Reed. And who would be out there ?

Not arguing for it, but there’s the idea of rolling cap over to next year.  60ish mil in cap space for 2020 could be pretty helpful.  

You also get a year of looking at our other players at those positions that might not have gotten the same chances otherwise.  

As to who’s out there?  Probably no one worth much, but trading for someone, like Wagner, is always a possibility.  

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more intriguing the idea is.  Is Norman worth 14* (or whatever) mil more than Moreau?  Is Reed at 10 mil (for the 12 or whatever games he likely plays) worth that much more than our depth guys (that probably block better than him)?

*numbers don’t include dead cap, which would be a fair bit.  

On 5/31/2019 at 10:48 PM, skinny21 said:

Not arguing for it, but there’s the idea of rolling cap over to next year.  60ish mil in cap space for 2020 could be pretty helpful.  

You also get a year of looking at our other players at those positions that might not have gotten the same chances otherwise.  

As to who’s out there?  Probably no one worth much, but trading for someone, like Wagner, is always a possibility.  

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more intriguing the idea is.  Is Norman worth 14* (or whatever) mil more than Moreau?  Is Reed at 10 mil (for the 12 or whatever games he likely plays) worth that much more than our depth guys (that probably block better than him)?

*numbers don’t include dead cap, which would be a fair bit.  

With Alex Smith Is be down to go all in for a division title, example being a Wagner type deal, but my gut says protect assets and stay the course.

Hopefully Keenum produces a magical type year and plays closer to that of a QB closer to top 10 versus top 25. 

On 5/31/2019 at 10:48 PM, skinny21 said:

I'm all for that idea. Obviously a lot of FA will be signed during the season but some of the names out there for potential in 2020 include Clowney, Grady Jarrett, Wagner, La'El Collins and Ronald Darby and Constonzo. And that's not including Von Miller who I doubt leaves Denver.

4 hours ago, Poindexter said:

I would trade Reed to the Pats for a 2nd round pick.  Take the freed up money and extend Trent.

You must not follow the Pats very closely if you think there's any reality across the damn multiverse where this happens. 

4 hours ago, Poindexter said:

I would trade Reed to the Pats for a 2nd round pick.  Take the freed up money and extend Trent.

Screw Trent when it comes to that extension. To old and he gets hurt to much. Give him a bonus for this year to make him happy and draft his replacement next year. 

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Browns making room for a Williams trade?  Definitely a reach at this point, but they've been aggressive all off-season.  They're in win-now mode during Baker's window.  I would take a 1st or two 2nd's from them without hesitation.

why would the Skins not go for a player who can play LT in this deal?

1 minute ago, carex said:

why would the Skins not go for a player who can play LT in this deal?

Because any team we trade Williams to likely won't have a good LT on their roster if they're desperate enough to trade a high pick for him.  Case in point, the Browns, who have Greg Robinson starting at LT.  Unless we could pull off a 3-team trade, but those are extremely rare.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Because any team we trade Williams to likely won't have a good LT on their roster if they're desperate enough to trade a high pick for him.  Case in point, the Browns, who have Greg Robinson starting at LT.  Unless we could pull off a 3-team trade, but those are extremely rare.

it's entirely possible someone could simply take the chance to upgrade.  Oh, and also I am assuming no pick  so they're not desperate enough to trade a high pick.   Or at least player and lower pick

1 minute ago, carex said:

it's entirely possible someone could simply take the chance to upgrade.  Oh, and also I am assuming no pick  so they're not desperate enough to trade a high pick.   Or at least player and lower pick

It's definitely a possibility.  I mentioned in the other thread that I'd love to trade for Ronnie Stanley on the Ravens.

Archived