Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

5 minutes ago, Hooper said:

We will only trade for Brown if the Steelers also agree to getting a good young player from us in return. Bruce doesn’t just make questionable trades to distract the fanbase and the owner with a shiny new toy — he makes horrendous ones. 

I was wondering that earlier and trying to work out who we would ship out. Not sure Doctson falls into that category.

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

AB is not playing football again if that is what he is going to be paid. He'll sit.

Story goes that this year FA WR market for the likes of Golden Tate will be in the region of 14mil p/y deals. AB want paid, and he want a truck load of guaranteed money. The Steelers only have a viable trade partner if that partner can agree contract terms with AB during the trade. Who would trade a high pick on a player who will sit out.

20mil p/y could be slight exaggeration, but I'll go on record that he will get a new deal, wherever that is, and it will be 3years 56/60mil or 4 years 72-80mil.

He could decide to sit out without a bigger contract but I do not think he will for two major reasons:  

1. He is not asking for a trade due to money. He does not like the style of play and wants the ball more. 

2. He just signed an extension that put a $19M signing bonus in his pocket. So even though the salary is $12M (ave) he already got his signing bonus which means he is playing for almost $20M. 

Now, I could see him wanting to renegotiate say after this year if he plays really well for someone. But I think he wants to play more than he wants more money. Don't get me wrong, I am sure he would take it. But other than a way to block a trade to a team he does not want to go to, I do not think he will sit out fora bigger contact. Again, his complaints have nothing to do with money. They just converted some of his salary into a signing bonus, which he has already revived. This is about the team the style of play and him getting the ball. 

20 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

He could decide to sit out without a bigger contract but I do not think he will for two major reasons:  

1. He is not asking for a trade due to money. He does not like the style of play and wants the ball more. 

2. He just signed an extension that put a $19M signing bonus in his pocket. So even though the salary is $12M (ave) he already got his signing bonus which means he is playing for almost $20M. 

Now, I could see him wanting to renegotiate say after this year if he plays really well for someone. But I think he wants to play more than he wants more money. Don't get me wrong, I am sure he would take it. But other than a way to block a trade to a team he does not want to go to, I do not think he will sit out fora bigger contact. Again, his complaints have nothing to do with money. They just converted some of his salary into a signing bonus, which he has already revived. This is about the team the style of play and him getting the ball. 

"Hey, if your team got guaranteed money, tell 'em call me. AB can't do no more unguaranteeds. 

Is there really a chance that this organization is so underfunded in football knowledge that they would pursue Antonio Brown and consider giving away an asset in that pursuit?

That can't even be a consideration at this stage of the franchise history. It simply can't, it cannot be run that poorly. Wont even believe it

8 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

"Hey, if your team got guaranteed money, tell 'em call me. AB can't do no more unguaranteeds. 

All I can say is, so? This proves nothing. His biggest problem was his relationship with Ben. 

Bringing this back to the Redskins - I do not want him no matter what. So to that end this is moot. I still think he will go to another team and play for the contract on record. If he will not, then he is dumber than I think. 

My two cents ...

1.   Don't mortgage the future for a splashy signing of Antonio Brown.  A diva receiver is not what this team needs when the pass protection is suspect and the starting QB's arm suggests that most of the long passes would be floating in, rather than rifled in.  How long is it before Brown starts publicly complaining about not being used the right way.  This team's coaching and TO would probably not be skillful enough to handle this "Terrell Owens type" of personality, and soon be trying to unload the person they'd sacrificed so much to obtain.

2.  I also hope the Skins FO doesn't mortgage the future trying to trade up for Murray -- the O-line protection isn't dependable enough and the rookie would likely have a short (but flashy) stint before he started to rack up too many injuries.    I'm even lukewarm to trading up to 9 to leapfrog teams in order to select Lock (who, with some seasoning might be serviceable in 2020.).  I think the Skins have to acknowledge their 2019 and 2020 seasons have been hamstrung by what happened with Alex Smith, and just roll with McCoy and a serviceable -- and mobile/durable -- backup for when McCoy goes down again.  (Maybe look to the 2020 draft to select a high-quality QB who can have a season to back-up in order to learn and acclimate to the NFL level game)

Bottom Line:  The team is barely getting itself out of the hole created by the RG3 trade and the post-Shanny overhaul.  Consequently, it needs to follow a more steady and incremental pace of improvement, rather than "doubling down" and staking the future on some flashy signing or trade in search of the magical "missing piece for a championship" .  While the Skins FO may feel they need this to be able to hype the 2019 Skins and fill stadium seats -- the reality is that the team is probably 3 years away from having a stable enough quality roster,  an adequate stockpile of affordable homegrown depth and surplus of draft-picks to support that kind of gamble. 

IMHO, the Skins need to keep pursuing a "slow-&-steady" strategy for improving the team, until they emerge from the Alex Smith disaster.  Sadly, I suspect Dan/Bruce aren't willing to be that patient.

you guys are crazy.. 

1. Brown is an ELITE receiver.. even at 31.. and he will most likely end up being one for a couple of more years.

2. Getting an elite WR for 11-12mil per year is a STEAL in todays NFL, even if you have to convert some of that in to guarantees. 

3. If skins end up drafting a QB on the 1st round and want to set him up for any kind of success, no better way than having an elite WR to take the pressure off. There are no good FA WRs available this year and most above avg ones will command 10+ mil per year.

If skins have an opportunity to get AB at a reasonable price  (2nd and 3rd maybe) they should make the deal. I bet Pittsburgh will not trade him for anything less than a 1st+ but lets see it play out

NDIANAPOLIS - As the whispers from dimly lit restaurants and crowded hotel lobbies turn into real conversations, one thing seems clear: The Redskins might be looking to make a big move this offseason.

With the entire NFL descended upon The Racing Capital of the World for the annual Scouting Combine, the offseason talk moves into overdrive. Teams bring their whole coaching and front office staffs to Indianapolis, player agents hold court at bars and nightclubs, and plans for the coming season start getting very real.

ESPN reported Friday night that Washington is one of three teams pursuing a possible trade with Pittsburgh to acquire star wide receiver Antonio Brown.

That move would require draft picks, which the Redskins seem reluctant to offer, particularly their first-round pick, according to league sources. There also would be numerous salary cap hurdles.

That doesn’t mean, however, that Bruce Allen and the Redskins brass couldn’t get a deal done if determined to do so.

Trading players could be on the table as an alternative to draft picks, and depending on the player, could also help move some salary. As of now, Washington has just $17 million in cap space for 2019.

And as far as trading players goes, that’s not a scenario reserved just for Brown.

It’s obvious the Redskins need a quarterback, and many with the team think very highly of Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray.

Jay Gruden said publicly he expects Murray to be an excellent NFL quarterback and that the size questions that lingered before the NFL Scouting Combine are not an issue. Murray measured at 5-foot-10 and more than 200 pounds, similar to Russell Wilson. In fact, Doug Williams dismissed the size issue for Murray by pointing out Wilson’s success.

If the ‘Skins brass speaks that highly of Murray publicly, imagine what the team is saying privately.

Still, Washington might not have the capital to move up in the draft and select Murray, even if they do want him. The chances of the 2018 Heisman winner as the potential No. 1 overall draft pick seem quite real.

That doesn’t definitively mean the ‘Skins won’t move up for another passer. While word is the team doesn’t want to give up a first-round pick for Brown, that could be different for a rookie quarterback. The organization might look differently at a swap of first-round picks to go get a QB, along with a player or later round pick. Allen seemed quite disinterested in trading up when he spoke in Indy, but almost every NFL executive says they won’t trade up. Then every year multiple NFL teams trade up for a quarterback.

8 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

No on Brown. We are so ****ing stupid.

Listening to Hoffman and reading Finlay's article, they may have kicked the tires on A. Brown but the price to pay is too steep -- draft pick wise and salary cap wise.    So I don't think we have to worry about it.  but will see.

Going purely with combining Hoffman and Finlay on different points, the more likely thing that we might have to think about pro or con is them trading for Rosen or maybe trading up for Murray.

All I can do is laugh. The team tried to go about building the right way the past 4 years and it was too boring for everybody and everybody checked out. Of course they are going to make a splash. 

Smart move is to stand pat and keep adding talent through the draft like we have been. Take Lock or Haskins if they drop to 15. If not grab a stud edge/CB/WR and maybe make a move for Grier at the top of the second or bottom of the first. 

But that would be too boring. So fully expect vintage Snyder to make a reappearance. That Alex Smith injury crushed us in so many ways. 

25 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

All I can do is laugh. The team tried to go about building the right way the past 4 years and it was too boring for everybody and everybody checked out. Of course they are going to make a splash. 

Smart move is to stand pat and keep adding talent through the draft like we have been. Take Lock or Haskins if they drop to 15. If not grab a stud edge/CB/WR and maybe make a move for Grier at the top of the second or bottom of the first. 

But that would be too boring. So fully expect vintage Snyder to make a reappearance. That Alex Smith injury crushed us in so many ways. 

I'm sorry but I had to do more than just put a like on this..these are my exact thoughts on the situation..#2000alloveragain

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you are going by twitter on combine coverage, its almost a given the Cards are taking Murray and Rosen will be on the trading block.  If that's true its a wild turn of events and it will be an interesting week leading into FA.

A Brown going to the desert than if the cards take Murray.

10 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I'm sorry but I had to do more than just put a like on this..these are my exact thoughts on the situation..#2000alloveragain

A Brown going to the desert than if the cards take Murray.

Maybe as for Brown to the Cards then, yeah they'd be an interesting package.  Brown and Murray trained together recently.  As for the worrying about the splash stuff -- I'd only be concerned if they made the moves.  If Finlay is correct and they don't want to give up picks.  And you add that they don't have much cap room.  they are going to have a hard time making a splash type move even if they want to do it.  My guess is the closest thing to a splash would be them kicking the tires on trading for Josh Rosen if the Cards trade him.  And I don't think that would give them a splash. 

I don't know what to make of Rosen.  I liked but didn't love him in college.  He then had an atrocious season 1.  But if its a 2nd rounder then what the heck.  I am guessing though any desire for a splash is coming from Dan so that can come out of the blue at any time but am struggling to see how they do it with the proviso of not giving away picks and also factoring their cap issues.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe as for Brown to the Cards then, yeah they'd be an interesting package.  Brown and Murray trained together recently.  As for the worrying about the splash stuff -- I'd only be concerned if they made the moves.  If Finlay is correct and they don't want to give up picks.  And you add that they don't have much cap room.  they are going to have a hard time making a splash type move even if they want to do it.  My guess is the closest thing to a splash would be them kicking the tires on trading for Josh Rosen if the Cards trade him.  And I don't think that would give them a splash.  I don't know what to make of Rosen.  I liked but didn't love him in college.  He then had an atrocious season 1.  But if its a 2nd rounder then what the heck. 

I see either a. 2000 all over again..b.2012 all over again..swap picks with the cards and give them the next two years first round draft picks and maybe Norman or something... Maybe not land brown but if p Richardson comes around and doctson finally has "his season" ...we would still have no one for Murray to throw too lol.

As far as acquiring Rosen..I'd be disgusted, he has that attitude that's something between Cutler and Rodgers...he would "haaaate it" here.

8 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I see either a. 2000 all over again..b.2012 all over again..swap picks with the cards and give them the next two years first round draft picks and maybe Norman or something... Maybe not land brown but if p Richardson comes around and doctson finally has "his season" ...we would still have no one for Murray to throw too lol.

As far as acquiring Rosen..I'd be disgusted, he has that attitude that's something between Cutler and Rodgers...he would "haaaate it" here.

I like Murray a lot but don't want to make some crazy trade for him.  Who knows if these guys talking to people at the combine are correct but if they are -- I doubt the Redskins would even have a chance to offer a haul for Murray because the Cards take him.  Rosen seems more maybe in play.  I don't have a strong opinion on him one way or another aside from if they don't give up a first rounder I wouldn't hate it.  At this given time, my favorite option is taking Lock if he falls to 15 or if they have to trade up a little where they give up a 3rd rounder, that's fine too.  Or just take a flier in the 2nd-4th rounds.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Murray a lot but don't want to make some crazy trade for him.  Who knows if these guys talking to people at the combine are correct but if they are -- I doubt the Redskins would even have a chance to over a haul for Murray because the Cards take him.  Rosen seems more maybe in play.  I don't have a strong opinion on him one way or another aside from if they don't give up a first rounder I wouldn't hate it.  At this given time, my favorite option is taking Lock if he falls to 15 or if they have to trade up a little where they give up a 3rd rounder, that's fine too.  Or just take a flier in the 2nd-4th rounds.

Yep excellent points man...but because of how boring it's been lately (scince 2012)ya don't think they make a 2012 move to get to the number 1 spot?..god that would take alot .wow!...it wouldn't surprise me though... Please don't confuse that with what I hope happens... What I hope happens is they sit tight at 15 and take the next best quarterback there...orrrr a fa qb and let them all(Colt,Johnson,fa)fight it out in camp(I keep forgetting about Foles),..use the 15 pick on a wr...I guess if the bpa is a wr.

I would be ok with Rosen I guess if we didn't give up more than a 3rd...Norman and a 3rd would get my blessings. Lol

I don't wanna see Norman go..don't lemme confuse ya..I can jus see him on the trading block

8 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Yep excellent points man...but because of how boring it's been lately (scince 2012)ya don't think they make a 2012 move to get to the number 1 spot?..god that would take alot .wow!...it wouldn't surprise me though... Please don't confuse that with what I hope happens... What I hope happens is they sit tight at 15 and take the next best quarterback there...orrrr a fa qb and let them all(Colt,Johnson,fa)fight it out in camp(I keep forgetting about Foles),..use the 15 pick on a wr...I guess if the bpa is a wr.

Dan to me is always the wild card.  And I think he's in a weird situation because even nationally some are talking about the Redskins bleeding fans -- TV ratings down, stadium ratings down.

I get the idea that boring = good.  Just win baby who cares if its sexy.  And I actually agree with that. But you have to actually win.   Mediocre & boring over years with a GM at the helm that's unpopular doesn't sell tickets or get people to tune in on TV.  So what do you do?

None of this applies IMO to people like us on the board.  We'd watch whomever plays at QB, WR, etc and talk endlessly about it.  But we aren't average fans.  They have a problem or so it seems with average fans.  So how to get them back -- can you do it by winning even if its a boring version of it with little star power -- I think so.  But i don't think you can pull that off with the 7-9-9-7 treadmill they seem to be on.

But just thinking about the team from my own view without caring about their declining attendance-TV ratings, I want a young Qb in this draft without giving up the farm to get him.  It's not a new idea from me.  This is exactly what I wanted in 2018, too.  But they didn't do it.  This time I hope they do. 

46 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you are going by twitter on combine coverage, its almost a given the Cards are taking Murray and Rosen will be on the trading block.  If that's true its a wild turn of events and it will be an interesting week leading into FA.

Lets just have a three way trade between us, the Cards and Pitt.

It would be nice to be able to trade Norman for Brown. I would love  to have a blue chip player on offense other then an oline man.Brown and Guice could help make life easy for whoever are quarterbacks is. Not to mention the affect it would have on the other receivers like Richardson and Doc allowing them to be third and fourth options behind Reed and Brown.

Archived