Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

Flowers was a joke who made NFCE pass rushers rich because he was such a turn style, yet this team paid US dollars to sign him, with the injuries the O-Line had last year putting this guy anywhere is a disaster. What is it with Bruce and overpaying for former Giants? 

53 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Bruce Allen calls Bill Callahan....Hey Bill, you think you can make a OT into a Starting LG? 

Bill...Yeah, who is it?

Bruce Allen...Don't worry about it.  Thanks.  {hangs up}

Bruce: "Win Now!! Win Now! Need lots of warm bodies who cares about what position they are capable of playing!" 

20 minutes ago, CPAllTheWay012 said:

Eric Berry visiting the Cowboys Tuesday 😥

Collins/Berry would be so entertaining. 

Would be but we're going to see what DRC has as our FS this year and draft one this year.  

12 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Berry has played 3 games over the last 2 seasons...and Jerruh in free agency is even stingier than Bruce lol...I think both of those things explain his visit to the Cowboys.

I full expect now Allen knows Jerry is meeting Berry, he will get in touch with Berry's agent and offer Berry 3 years 120m fully guaranteed. 

9 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ereck-flowers?id=2552452\

Might Flowers be too tall to be a guard? Not a lot of 6'6" guards in the league. 

Ty Nseke did fairly well there at 6'9, granted, it was only a temporary appointment due to other injuries

To be honest, i'd prefer Flowers never actually be dressed on gamedays, leaving no chance that he gets to play.

11 hours ago, glongest said:

Not sure why so many people have this illusion that Callahan is somehow going to transform mid level O lineman to solid starters.  Look at his track record since he has been here with OL who have been drafted in the mid rounds.  He has developed no one for the most part and there have been many.  Hell people they have brought in couldn't even beat out broken down lineman like Lavou.  And he hasn't resurrected any of the players they picked up off the streets either.  I am expecting the same with this guy as well.  Based on his performance in Washington, Callahan is overrated in my humble opinion. 

I think he's done an amazing job. I  I think he's coached up guys well.  He's taken high potential guys and made them reach it (Scherff), taken middling guys and made them starting caliber (Long, Roullier), and guys that might not be in the league and gotten something out of them (Nsekhe, Bergstrom, Cooper).  That's not even mentioning the pure scrubbery he got saddled with in emergencies that they pulled in off the street to have to play. (Painter, Catalina, Howard, Bowanko, Clemmings). 

That game 2 years ago on the road against Seattle when they started 4 backup OL, including 2 signed the week of the game if I recall, was an impressive display of OL coaching.  They didnt dominate, I think they had 40 yards rushing or some such thing, but they had no business even holding up at all. I give Callahan a lot of credit for that. I dont think just any OL coach coulda done that.

I used to give Callahan crap for the woes of the run game, but we probably had the worst blocking TEs in the league and when you gave him an actual NFL caliber starting running back, a running game magically materialized.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Berry has played 3 games over the last 2 seasons...and Jerruh in free agency is even stingier than Bruce lol...I think both of those things explain his visit to the Cowboys.

Yeah, Berry either plays every game or almost no games.  

10 hours ago, nonniey said:

If any of this contract is guaranteed it is a bad contract (Heck for that matter if Scandrick had 1 mil guaranteed that ended up being a terrible contract).

That is your opinion, one you are entitled to. But I see it as very narrow in thought. If all they get is a solid swing T out of it, that alone is good enough for $1M or more. $1M in the NFL is virtually nothing. I get it's a lot of money to most but in relative terms it's virtually free. Scandrick was the same. Low risk high reward. It didn;t work out. That doesn ot make it a bad move to begin with. They took a virtually free chance It did not work out so you cut bait and move on.

There is also the possibility they can turn him into a G. Scherff and Flowers were both judged to be better Gs moving to the NFL coming out of college. The Giants insisted on playing Flowers at T (something they would have likely done with Scherff) and he has been a  failure. Is it all on him that he failed at T? Hard to tell. He had his weaknesses but the their entire line was ****. Put him next to TW at G and he may provide some value. 

This is very low risk high reward signing, as long as the $4M is not fully guaranteed. Worst that happens is thy release him and move on with minimal cost. Best is he turns into the long term solution at LG. 

There are plenty of things to trash this FO about. Overall Bruce is garbage. But that does not mean every single move the guy makes is total garbage. For all we know he had little to do with this. But this is one of those off season moves that people seem to get pissed about without knowing the full details or taking a moment to understand all the possibilities. 

On a side note, I really wish they would not release any contract details until they release the full details. Many of these conversation would never happen. But that's their intent. Let's shock people with a big number knowing it's something much smaller in reality. And people fall for it every time. 

14 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Flowers signed according to Keim.

I'm unmoved by this, as long as we dont go into training camp with him as the top option.  I want them to throw  bodies at the problem.  Some viable vets, a upper to mid round draft pick, and a few flyers and longshots. 

16 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

There is also the possibility they can turn him into a G. Scherff and Flowers were both judged to be better Gs moving to the NFL coming out of college. The Giants insisted on playing Flowers at T (something they would have likely done with Scherff) and he has been a  failure. Is it all on him that he failed at T? Hard to tell. He had his weaknesses but the their entire line was ****. Put him next to TW at G and he may provide some value. 

This is very low risk high reward signing, as long as the $4M is not fully guaranteed. Worst that happens is thy release him and move on with minimal cost. Best is he turns into the long term solution at LG. 

I think everyone else is right about the height. Probably fine.

Goskins, I like your post above. The move is a low risk, high reward move, much like our signing of Rueben Foster, which was panned at the time. Just because Flowers was a turn style at OT, doesn't mean he'll be a turn turn style at OG. He's 24yo has the size and power that Jay seems to like in his linemen, and could be a long term solution if he pans out. I think it's a solid move. I actually think it's the kind of move the Patriots are always making. 

9 hours ago, alwaysaskin said:

Flowers was a joke who made NFCE pass rushers rich because he was such a turn style, yet this team paid US dollars to sign him, with the injuries the O-Line had last year putting this guy anywhere is a disaster. What is it with Bruce and overpaying for former Giants? 

I really haven't followed Flowers career that closely although apparently you have lol With that said is he really that bad ? That's really disappointing usually 1st round O -lineman have a low chance of bombing.

The problem isn't that we signed Flowers with the idea of re-purposing him as a guard. The problem is that we gave $4 million to a guy who has proven to be ineffective in this league. We are counting on something to happen that has a very low chance of happening. We keep trying to put square pegs in round holes and it only works if the peg is small and leaves gaps. Sure, we are going to bring in a rookie to compete, but our never ending moronic attempts to fix the LG position are becoming increasingly hilarious. 

On 980 sports radio this morning Al Galdi questions the $4 million signing for Flowers which he says is unfair to Adrian Peterson who signed for less money and had a good year for us last year.  Meanwhile Flowers has done awful given his draft position and has struggled so far in the NFL.  If I was Callahan I would tell Allen that I cannot work miracles with this dude.  Now we cannot bring back Ty Nseche-- he started 16 games over the last 4 years.  Our front office gets worse instead of better each year.  The Prince of Darkness will soon surpass Vinny Ceratto for worst GM in Skins history.

We need a WR.  I would be happy for Inman or Crabtree. We were wrecked with injuries and Quick still didn't get targets and likely won't this year, as his sights are firmly set on playing until the age of 40. 

Ryan Grant is still out there... I mention that so heads don't explode.  As is Aldrick, and Nick Williams.

17 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

On 980 sports radio this morning Al Galdi questions the $4 million signing for Flowers which he says is unfair to Adrian Peterson who signed for less money and had a good year for us last year.  Meanwhile Flowers has done awful given his draft position and has struggled so far in the NFL.  If I was Callahan I would tell Allen that I cannot work miracles with this dude.  Now we cannot bring back Ty Nseche-- he started 16 games over the last 4 years.  Our front office gets worse instead of better each year.  The Prince of Darkness will soon surpass Vinny Ceratto for worst GM in Skins history.

So Flowers' contract is $4M guaranteed for one year?...Because Peterson's contract was announced as 2 yrs/$8M, and people started criticizing paying a 33/34 year old that much to be a backup, etc, etc...of course the details of the contract showed that it was nowhere near paying AP $4M/yr and only guaranteed $2.5M of it. If we don't know the details of the Flowers contract yet, it is absolutely asinine to take that initial contract number and run with it as if that's all you need to know. Galdi should know better. In fact, Galdo DOES know better...he always talks about waiting to hear the details of the contract before passing judgment. So unless it's been verified (and I don't know either way if it has), better to just wait and see.

Archived