Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, jsharrin55 said:

Does this count against comp pick or was he released?  I don't know how it works against 'retired' players.

Good question.  I don't think so but not sure.

6 minutes ago, Sknsnation said:
MaAIgBaS_bigger.jpg Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
Following Following @RapSheet
More

He’s back: FA CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is done with retirement and is signing a deal with the #Redskins, source said. He’ll play alongside his former #Giants teammate Landon Collins, too.

Kind of like replacing Deangelo.  

10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Good question.  I don't think so but not sure.

Kind of like replacing Deangelo.  

Retired would be against "the will of the old team", but it doesn't mentioned retired.  Guess we'll find out soon enough if he is a Qualifiying Comp Pick.  If so he could wipe out the Haha 6th rounder.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

In order to qualify for the comp equation, a player must have been a true Unrestricted Free Agent whose contract had expired or was voided after the previous season (i.e., he cannot have been released by his old team); he must sign during the UFA signing period (which ended July 27 last year); if he signs after June 1[*], he must have been tendered a June 1 qualifying offer by his old team; his compensatory value or contract value must be above a specific minimum amount; and he cannot have been permanently released by his new team before a certain point in the season (which seems to be after Week 10) or, possibly, before getting a certain amount of playing time, unless he was claimed off waivers by another team.

*On 2015, this date was switched to May 12, and in 2016 it was May 10. It is believed that the cutoff date in future years will be the second Tuesday after the draft.

These players that qualify are known as Compensatory Free Agents (CFAs), and this is perhaps the provision that trips up most people who unfamiliar with the process. Players who are cut are the most common example of free agents not becoming CFAs, but other methods of disqualification, such as a Restricted Free Agent not given a tender, also exist.  In its most general sense, players only become Compensatory Free Agents if they are able to leave their old team against that team’s will. (However, one notable exception are team options that void a contract; see Special Cases below.)

edit:

https://overthecap.com/player/dominique-rodgers-cromartie/464/

He is listed as a SFA (Street FA)

https://overthecap.com/explaining-free-agent-and-contract-terms/

Street/Other Free Agents (SFA)

SFA’s are players who had contracts that extended into at least 2016 with a NFL team but were released from the contract. Players who were released or not on an active roster prior to the playoffs were free to sign futures contracts for the 2016 League Year in January. Now that the Super Bowl is complete, teams can begin to release players under contract for 2016. Unlike unrestricted free agents who are not allowed to sign until March 9, these players are free to sign with any team in the NFL once released from their contract.

Usually players released from their contract during this period are those who don’t factor at all into the future plans of a team and the team sees fit to let them have an early chance at free agency, Players like Michael Griffin, Nate Allen, and Riley Cooper all recently cut fit into this category. These players do not factor into any compensatory equations and would be the type of free agent that draft conscious teams like the Ravens and Packers would target once available.

5 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Great signing, always glad to get a guy who has been so effective no one wanted him last season and then he retired.  But then unretired...

as long as we're not planning to use him to justify releasing Josh Norman we're fine.  This is like those years we signed guys like Justin Rogers and Greg Toler late in free agency and they played decent as dime backs

1 minute ago, Peregrine said:

Great signing, always glad to get a guy who has been so effective no one wanted him last season and then he retired.  But then unretired...

DRC has been a really good CB the last 5 years... he can play the outside, nickel, and safety. In the modern NFL, you need your back 7 to be versatile to handle multiple looks. Im not complaining one bit assuming its for 1 year and less than 3M.

We can agree or disagree about Collins, but I think we are going about FA the right way now.

I.E. Find a blue chip player and pay accordingly. But then bypass all the mid level guys and wait for the cheap ones. 

Contrast that to what we had done previously with guys like Zach Brown and Stacy McGee.

I mean, look at the Bengals for Christ sake. They spent nearly 30M in AAV on 5 players, none of which would really even be a starter on a good team let alone a Pro-Bowler.

6 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

he didn't retire because he was unwanted, he was on the Raiders at his time of retirement 🙄

6 minutes ago, Ghedrick said:

Scandrick all over again I hope no guaranteed money.

Well, if I recall his time in Philly he can't play the slot, so like a Scandrick in a different position. 

Anyway, even putting the retirement aside he'll be a 33 year old CB. I'm just hoping the contract has no guarantees and he's got something left in the tank. Unfortunately I have friends that root for the Eagles, but DRC is one of the players we had long debates about. I remember they thought he was amazing when they traded away Kevin Kolb and got a 2nd rounder and DRC. A short 2 years after that they celebrated him not being on the team. 

Outside of Norman, we have a very young collection of DBs.  DRC will bring some veteran perspective, and I like that.  Otherwise, I'm not counting on him to make a huge difference as an individual on the field.  I say that with the unsubstantiated belief that we're not overpaying him.

30 minutes ago, carex said:

as long as we're not planning to use him to justify releasing Josh Norman we're fine.  

My instant reaction was also to link the move to Josh Norman...release for cap space, possible trade etc. Unlikely I dare say, but you never know.

8 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

So are we happy with the DRC signing folks?

If we picked him up to compete for a spot with no guaranteed $, I'm all about competition. But I can't imagine him being better now than he was 2 years ago when he didn't seem to be a missing piece

5 hours ago, dyst said:

It’s just tape. Not sure he has wiggle in his hips to stay with guys.

If I remember right, the knocks on Alexander were inconsistent motor and questions about closing speed.  The one report I read said he has good hip flexibility.  So on one hand - he might have the hips to play safety, but might lack the closing speed you’d want at FS.  On the other hand, if he does have problems ‘staying with guys’ (whether due to hips or the above issues), does he really fit at corner?  Interesting dilemma.  His size and ability to attack balls in the air do at least lend themselves to a FS role.  

Every senior veteran on his last contract year also takes a valuable roster spot from the young hungry rookie. I hate to lose a talented late rounder becuase we wanted to see if a 33 year old corner still has some gas left in his tank. Let him Compete for that spot, nothing else. And if the rook looks almost as good, turn DRC back on the streets.

Archived