Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

41 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Sorry, but this really is bull**** this time...he put that statement in quotes as if directly said by Gruden. Nope.

Here's what was said:

"You know there’s probably a lot of things that need to change, but I think just moving forward we’ve got to be on the same page as far as personnel, coaching, and all that stuff...But we have a good communication system, a good system in place right now.”

Your calling BS on that for what?  Yes, the guy used quotes and it wasn't an exact quote.  But for Jay to even make mention of getting on the same page in response to a question about things that need to change, I think carries some weight.  "But we have a good communication system, a good system in place right now" is just what a guy says after he knows he probably shouldn't have said the statement prior to that.  

The fact that the skins were looking to trade for Collins last year, and fills a huge need in a division with 2 of the top running backs in the league means its not rally unknown to Jay. We were clearly in talks with the guy this offseason, among other guys. This report is bunk. They wouldnt let Jay release Swearinger in the middle of the season if he didnt still have some control of the team.

Ive tempered my expectations for the "splash." But its the best decision all around. We dont have the pieces to move up, and even if we did, this is not the draft to move up. Next year is most definitely a year to trade up. At the very least there are 2 top flight QB's available in 2020. Just fill the holes with BPA ( WR/LB/OL) and sit for qb until the 3rd round. If Grier is there with or first 3rd, you draft him. If he's taken, you draft a guard, and take Jackson with the second 3rd round pick. We go into the season with a developmental guy, and see what hes got. That leaves us with 3 scenarios:

A: Case balls out somehow and takes us to the promised land... (unlikely)

B: Grier/Jackson shows serious potential as a starter next year in practice.

C : We are terrible and Grier/Jackson dont show starting potential, leaving us with a high 1st round pick that we could package to move up for Tua/Fromme/Herbert.

Its not a bad plan, but would require Jay having some slack on the leash this upcoming year to pull it off. If he is let go after this season, I would be pretty upset.

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Your calling BS on that for what?  Yes, the guy used quotes and it wasn't an exact quote.  But for Jay to even make mention of getting on the same page in response to a question about things that need to change, I think carries some weight.  "But we have a good communication system, a good system in place right now" is just what a guy says after he knows he probably shouldn't have said the statement prior to that.  

Then put that in quotes. There are actually rules and guidelines to follow when quoting or paraphrasing someone...hell, I go through the trouble of adding ellipses to show I'm not quoting everything said, that there is more in between the first part of what I quote and the last part of what I quoted, just so that everyone understands there is more that i didn't include. I even do that stupid "[...]" to indicate that I skipped over parts of a quote or parts of an article...because for some damn reason I find it important to let others know in one form or another that I'm summarizing and acknowledging there's more to this that you might deem important.

Because I'm sorry, but Gruden never said what that guy QUOTED him as saying. And if what Gruden said was damning enough on its own, then it doesn't need to be filtered through anyone else's perception and paraphrased in that person's words...

"I agree, the guy misquoted Gruden because Jay never said that. But I don't care." -BatteredFanSyndrome, when reading that a quote attributed to Gruden was made up.

You cool with that above? Because if so, I'm gonna start quoting you like a mf'er lol...

Quick is just a depth signing I would imagine and makes sense, a cheap veteran familiar with the system.  If things go well he doesn't make the 53 but has a decent chance of still being a street FA during the season if the injury bug bites and can then come in and contribute straight away. 

6 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Craig Hoffman says the rumor that Gruden hasn't been consulted on FA is false. FWIW

Reading that now...one interesting part is Hoffman claims the "need to be on the same page" comment had to do with replacing all the injured players, and not necessarily the free agent and draft process. That, to me, could tie into bringing in Sanchez first and then Johnson--that was something talked about during the season and jay hinted to something to that effect (can't remember what he said, though).

25 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Brian "No Wear and Tear" Quick is back for another year as our only injury free receiver.

I was watching an AAF game yesterday (surprisingly decent standard of football IMO). A guy who stood out to me was L'Damian Washington - he's a 6' 4" receiver with 4.4 speed, good hand's and who is good after the catch. Went to Missouri and had trouble staying healthy. He has been with 4 or 5 NFL teams but just not stuck and he's 27 now. But he's going to be on someones 90 man roster and I'd rather it was ours than bring back someone like Quick.

https://thefandc.radio.com/redskins-jay-gruden-frustrated-absolutely-involved-free-agency-process

Hoffman: Gruden frustrated, but 'absolutely' involved in Redskins' free agency process

March 18, 2019 - 11:06 am

Categories: 

By Craig Hoffman

Eric Bickel cited a source this morning on The Sports Junkies who said Jay Gruden is frustrated with how things are going at Redskins Park. "He's super frustrated, (team president) Bruce (Allen) is calling all the shots. They're not consulting Jay at all. As of Friday, Jay was like, 'We have so many needs. We need linebackers, we need outside receivers, we have all these (needs).' And they had basically signed a backup quarterback (Case Keenum) and Landon Collins. That's about what they had done so far in free agency."

After another non-playoff year, Gruden was and is unquestionably frustrated. Gruden is a coach on the hot seat, and he knows it. His entire staff knows their seats are hot as well. They also know they need to get better because the roster they have is not good enough to compete for a championship. That is especially true on offense, where Gruden lost his best player in his weakest position group when Jamison Crowder signed with the Jets.

However, Gruden has been involved in the free agency process. The team has meetings starting immediately after the season extending into the final days and hours before free agency. Gruden was in those meetings, helping to set the Redskins free agency board. Sources with knowledge of Gruden’s thinking said that he was very high on Landon Collins, who the Redskins inked to a 6-year, $84 million contract within hours of free agency starting, and that the coach liked the addition of Case Keenum to compete with Colt McCoy.

While Gruden’s football opinion matters quite a bit and he absolutely is involved in the process, he is still the head coach and not the general manager, or the person in the general manager’s role as the Redskins do not employ someone with that title. Allen and Senior Vice President of Football Operations Eric Schaffer are in charge of contracts and ultimately play the biggest role in who the team signs. Even if a player was hypothetically the top target on Washington’s board, ultimately Allen and Schaffer put a price tag on that player’s value. If a player chooses elsewhere because of a better contract, that could be a role in Gruden’s cited frustration if he thought the team could have been more aggressive.

Gruden expressed frustration at his season ending press conference with the communication between the coaching staff and personnel departments. The Redskins had to add an inordinate amount of players during the season thanks to a borderline unbelievable amount of injuries for the second straight season. Gruden made it clear he wasn’t thrilled with how that process was handled.

“There’s a lot of things that probably need to change,” Gruden said on New Year’s Eve. “But moving forward we just all have to be on the same page as far as personnel, coaching and all that stuff. We have a good communication system in place right now but with all the injuries we’ve had it’s just hard to gauge ‘would we have been better with this guy in here and all our healthy guys?’ It’s just hard to gauge.”

“We adjusted pretty well I thought as a staff,” Gruden continued. “We tried to get as many guys ready to play as we could. Some young guys off the street on a Tuesday that started on Sunday in the National Football League isn’t easy to do. So I think staff wise we did some good things obviously, but not good enough. So that evaluation process - I’ll have to do a lot of listening first, if I’m still here, to see what they see. What their vision is. Then I have to adapt to what they see and try to do the best I can to make it work.”

In nearly every conversation with Gruden the injuries seem to be his greatest source of frustration. Losing multiple Pro Bowl players and multiple quarterbacks will do that to a coach. However it remains to be uncovered if the processes that Gruden touched on after the season changed and if those changes happened, if they will lead to better results.

What we know now is the coach certainly has a say in what goes on with the roster he ultimately will lead on the field in 2019, even if it’s not the “final” say. Allen has always defaulted to a position that the groups come together and make “Redskins decisions.” That position and that process will certainly be questioned when he speaks at the NFL Owners Meetings next week.

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I was watching an AAF game yesterday (surprisingly decent standard of football IMO). A guy who stood out to me was L'Damian Washington - he's a 6' 4" receiver with 4.4 speed, good hand's and who is good after the catch. Went to Missouri and had trouble staying healthy. He has been with 4 or 5 NFL teams but just not stuck and he's 27 now. But he's going to be on someones 90 man roster and I'd rather it was ours than bring back someone like Quick.

I am all for new blood, but somehow Brian Quick rarely to never plays, yet we can't get rid of him. I am not sure, but I suspect he is one of the few WRs that can hold his own on teams.  And the other thing that coaches love that I think some fans undervalue.... I bet he is one of our best blocking WRs.  I wonder what his snap count was last year, teams and offense, and how many of those were run plays.

I trust your judgement on LDW; fire off a tube link to Bruce to get er done.

27 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Craig Hoffman says the rumor that Gruden hasn't been consulted on FA is false. FWIW

Well if it's anything like the Alex Smith trade, Bruce and company "consult" Gruden after the trade is all but done, putting him in the situation where he would have to make a huge stink -- which would come out in the media no doubt -- and put himself in a crap situation with the guys who determine if he's going to stick around. What a joke. 

Considering the microscope the Skins are always under, it's amazing no one has really focused on how little Jay has had picking the QB, much less the rest of the roster. 

Archived