• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   

My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  

Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  

Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 

The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  

The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 

1st Quarter - Redskins 0 - 6 Jets
      If you wanted to sit in the cold and watch a football game with some Jets fans at FedEx, but were worried that there were not enough seats available, I have good news.  There’s plenty of space available, so come on down and prove you’re a real fan by sitting though this in person.

Jets dominated the 1st quarter even though they only scored 6 points.  The reason being that Washington managed only 13 yards of offense and a single first down.  

Question: Is it still a check down pass if the QB never looks at anyone else?

2nd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      The Jets have achieved an insurmountable 13 point lead early in the 2nd quarter.  All hope is lost.

Is there a more perfect example of the Redskins offense than their first scoring drive in the 2nd quarter?  Interception gives the Redskins the ball on the Jets 16 yard line.  They proceed to march 10 yards backwards before kicking a field goal from the Jets 26.  It's perfect.  Two or three more field goals we can call it a day. 

The Jets score again and if feels like they are are just piling on at this point.  Three touchdowns in the first half for them, just three points for the redskins.  Our streak of no touchdowns has now extended to 15 quarters. 

3rd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      There is a spider slowly descending from the ceiling in the press box and it's the most interesting thing that's happened during the third quarter of this game. 

I have decided to allow the spider to live, provided it does not touch me.  I'm off to get some more caffeine. 

4th Quarter - Redskins 17 - 34 Jets
      The first wave of Redskins fans, the few that are here, started streaming towards the exits after that 4th Jets touchdown.  As if the Jets didn't have this game wrapped up in the 2nd quarter. 

Jet have now more than doubled their average points per game and have matched their season high of 34 points (and they missed two field goals in this game). 

TOUCHDOWN REDSKINS!  THE DROUGHT IT OVER!  Guice took a short pass from Haskins  all the way to the house.  2 point conversion is successful on a pass from Haskins to Quinn. 

The Redskins score another touchdown!  This feels like an embarrassment of riches, even if we are still certain to lose this game. 

End of Game.

Let's review those reasonable goals I mentioned earlier:

1- Success.
      2- Close enough, I'm counting it
      3- Haskins did throw for over 200, but unfortunately did have an interception. 
      4- Guice was not given the opportunity to run the ball ten times today.  He did however score on a 45 yard TD pass and finish the game healthy.  I'll take it.

Even though the Redskins lost, it was good to see the offense show some faint signs of life and end the streak of games without a TD.  The team looked competitive for much of the second half, and perhaps they could have made this a fun game if they carried that same energy throughout.  It was good to see Guice and Mclaurin show out today.  I think both of them have a future with this team that I look forward to seeing. 

Riggo-toni

The 2019 Free Agency Tracker -Added: Landon Collins, Rodgers-Cromartie, Donald Penn, Flowers, Smallwood. Lost:Preston Smith, Nsekhe, Crowder, HaHa

1 minute ago, carex said:

I'm looking at some mock drafts and the way things are going if the Giants don't take Haskins at 6 he could be there at 15

I'm not sure how likely that is this year.  9 of our 19 free agents  were street free agents last year.  We've got depth guys, often injured guys and guys who had no interest last year except from us

Personally I want Rosen and if not Rosen, Murray.  Just me.  :) 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Absolute pass on Perriman, and he would be a fool to leave that offer thinking he’s more than a 4th/5th wr option 

The guarantees are probably low, he's probably worried about even making it out of training camp now. 

Posted (edited)

I'm cool with Haskins, Rosen or Lock. Given the recent developments with the Giants. I hope they trade for Rosen. That should ensure we can get either Haskins or Lock. If not I would take Rosen with our 2nd if that's what it takes.

I'm hoping our FO shows some restraint.  If one of the top 3 fall to us at 15 great..but don't go jumping up to grab one. Draft another impact player and get your QB in round 3. I just want a young arm..dont really care if it's the high end or low end..who knows how they will develop anyway.

Edited by SkinsFootball
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

My negative thought process Sees the Giants move as a major win for them.

Why?

The Redskins are losers. Peppers immediately fills Collins role.  I’m pretty sure Collins will be hurt as a Redskin, possibly career ender. Giants land franchise quarterback and wide receiver in the first round. Four years from now Giants hold up Lombardi trophy and nobody ever read this post.

Am I wrong?

Edited by Bonez3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Bonez3 said:

My negative thought process Find is the Giants move been a major win. Why? The Redskins are losers. Peppers immediately fills Collins role.  I’m pretty sure Collins will be heard as a Redskin, possibly career ender. Giants land franchise quarterback and wide receiver in the first round. Four years from now Giants hold up Lombardi trophy and nobody ever read this post.

Am I wrong?

I wouldn’t bet against you 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

So Gettleman has traded away Pierre Paul ($15M dead), Snacks Harrison ($8M dead over 2 years), OBJ ($16M dead), Eli Apple ($5M dead over 2 years), Vernon ( $8M dead). Let Landon Collins walk.  Signed Nate Solder and Ogletree to ridiculous contracts. He is on a roll!! 

• Like 2

Just now, rumplestilskin said:

Maybe the Giants trade up and take Murray.

maybe. but they seem to like the bigger,stronger, faster athlete. I feel like Haskins or Jones fit their profile.

1 minute ago, SkinsFootball said:

maybe. but they seem to like the bigger,stronger, faster athlete. I feel like Haskins or Jones fit their profile.

Jones is neither stronger or faster but coming from Gettlemen he may believe it. Here's hoping.

7 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Why?

The Redskins are losers. Peppers immediately fills Collins role.  I’m pretty sure Collins will be hurt as a Redskin, possibly career ender. Giants land franchise quarterback and wide receiver in the first round. Four years from now Giants hold up Lombardi trophy and nobody ever read this post.

Am I wrong?

Mom would say, "no honey your just depressed"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Skins should look in to Perriman.

How the hell did Perriman get $4 million dollars? He seemed to work out for half the league last year after getting cut by the Ravens (and then the Redskins). He sucked for years and had, what, 2 good games for Cleveland. That's really worth $4 million?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Why?

Am I wrong?

Maybe. What about the ripple effect of trading one of the best wrs in football? All of a sudden Barkley gets extra attention.. don't let him get banged up due to usage. Shepherd and their TE probably less effective without obj taking the top of and having coverage rolled his way. They got to hit on those extra picks..for the trade to work.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

Maybe. What about the ripple effect of trading one of the best wrs in football? All of a sudden Barkley gets extra attention.. don't let him get banged up due to usage. Shepherd and their TE probably less effective without obj taking the top of and having coverage rolled his way. They got to hit on those extra picks..for the trade to work.

My philosophy was more centered around the Redskins being perennial losers. Therefore, the Giants move will lead to certain success somehow. 

Not to much x’s and o’s in my post

Edited by Bonez3

15 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Why?

Am I wrong?

My big concern is that Dan and Bruce are looking at Gettleman and thinking “hold my beer” 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, carex said:

Only disappoint is the Skins haven't even been connected to any OL players.

Because OL doesn't play Defense. Don't even think about Offense until the Draft. Outside of the QB problem they addressed first, they're dead set on using FA to fix the Defense. 

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

No no no, you build the team the "right"way. Some people here will never be happy with anything. I'm as down on Bruce as the next guy, but Collins was a great move. He's easily the best defender in our secondary already, the contract isn't crippling, people just like to complain to complain.

I like Collins but does it matter.

All our QBs suck, Collins is great but with the QB situation and the recent departures what does that make us really? A 7-9 team? We have crappy QBs with no one to throw to, the QBs in the draft class suck and I am so afraid we are going to trade picks to move up

1 minute ago, TK said:

Because OL doesn't play Defense. Don't even think about Offense until the Draft. Outside of the QB problem they addressed first, they're dead set on using FA to fix the Defense. 

You mean using the majority of their top draft spots over the past few years isn’t enough?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, skeenzfan said:

So Gettleman has traded away Pierre Paul ($15M dead), Snacks Harrison ($8M dead over 2 years), OBJ ($16M dead), Eli Apple ($5M dead over 2 years), Vernon ( $8M dead). Let Landon Collins walk.  Signed Nate Solder and Ogletree to ridiculous contracts. He is on a roll!! 

I'd really like to know what's going on inside that guy's head. Some really baffling moves. Although I'm glad it's happening to the Giants.. I'm still salty about that cap penalty Mara pushed for. I hope this gives him a brain aneurysm.

Maybe Gettleman has visions of recreating the Panthers in NY. He's blowing the team up and building them "the right way" whatever the hell that means.

For you guys pressing for the "right way" of building things, NY is a prime example of what you're arguing for. They've got nothing going for them except saquon. 

No guarantees with any rookie QB they draft this year, who may get thrown to the wolves if Eli gets hurt. THIS is what you guys really want? Jettison all our top talent so we can be just like them? Or hold on to what we got and continue adding pieces to get over the hump.

You guys are holding the browns up as some shining beacon of success, they haven't done a thing yet.

They may can, but football has a funny way of breaking even the best laid plans.

Edited by crabbypatty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, crabbypatty said:

I'd really like to know what's going on inside that guy's head. Some really baffling moves. Although I'm glad it's happening to the Giants.. I'm still salty about that cap penalty Mara pushed for. I hope this gives him a brain aneurysm.

Maybe Gettleman has visions of recreating the Panthers in NY. He's blowing the team up and building them "the right way" whatever the hell that means.

For you guys pressing for the "right way" of building things, NY is a prime example of what you're arguing for. They've got nothing going for them except saquon. 

No guarantees with any rookie QB they draft this year.. THIS is what you guys really want?

You guys are holding the browns up as some shining beacon of success, they haven't done a thing yet.

They may can, but football has a funny way of breaking even the best laid plans.

I mean I can kind of see it. Stockpile picks, suck for two years and get high picks, Eli will be gone, and then have a crap ton of cap space to use, to join with Barkley, and the other high picks. If he is looking at 2021 and beyone I could see some logic behind all of this.

3 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

I mean I can kind of see it. Stockpile picks, suck for two years and get high picks, Eli will be gone, and then have a crap ton of cap space to use, to join with Barkley, and the other high picks. If he is looking at 2021 and beyone I could see some logic behind all of this.

Then Barkley is either beat to **** or halfway through his career and due a new deal. They better pray they make the right choice or that's how you end up like the browns and Redskins with 20+ starting QBs in 20 years.

1 minute ago, crabbypatty said:

Then Barkley is either beat to **** or halfway through his career and due a new deal. They better pray they make the right choice or that's how you end up like the browns and Redskins with 20+ starting QBs in 20 years.

Barkley will be like 24 in 2021 and they will have a **** ton of Cap space if they are actually doing what I said.

No the way you end up like us is not having any foundation and making big signings (Collins, who I like), they really don't swing the needle. 

NYG screwed up last year by not trading down.  The Jets gave up 3 2nd rounders to move up from 6 to 3.  If NYG takes that same deal, they'd have 3 extra 2nd rounders.  Heck, they could have then taken the Bills' offer to move down to 12 via 2 more 2nd rounders.  Theoretically, they could have gotten FIVE 2nd round picks from going from #2 to #12 last year.  They still could have gotten an excellent defensive player like Payne, James, or Edwards at #12, and rebuilt the roster via those five extra 2nd rounders.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Landon Collins is really supposed to be our big "WOW" signing, I am thoroughly unimpressed. Not really unhappy since we've got so much stacked against us this season anyway... But still, selling a single strong safety as the big signing to bring the fans back in droves doesn't cut it for me lol

1 minute ago, Skins199021 said:

Barkley will be like 24 in 2021 and they will have a **** ton of Cap space if they are actually doing what I said.

No the way you end up like us is not having any foundation and making big signings (Collins, who I like), they really don't swing the needle. 

They could easily if they pick the wrong guy at QB and waste years trying to develop him like us and the browns have done.

I guess we'll find out in 5 years eh?