• Blog Entries

    • By TK in ES Coverage
         0
      The Bill Callahan era began here at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami. For the first quarter it was really,really bad football being played by both teams. 
      The Redskins were determined to establish the Run game. The First Quarter all they established was that they still couldn’t run. Or pass. Or do much of anything. 
       
      It wasn’t until the 2nd Quarter that Peterson was able to start ripping the worst Run D in the League for chunks of 18 & 24 yards. The Skins managed to score a TD with a 25 yard pass to Scary Terry McLaurin. 
       
      The Dolphins would open the Second Half only managing five plays before the Redskins would get the ball punted back to them. They would run a balanced run/pass attack of six plays for 70 yards in 1:25 ending in McLaurin’s second touchdown of the day. The Defense would then get a turnover allowing the Offense to get to Field Goal range and add another 3 points to make the score 17-3. 
       
      To open the Fourth Quarter, Hopkins would miss a 55 yard Field Goal, leaving the score at 17-3.  After being sacked five times, the Dolphins would pull their own switcharoo at QB and go to Ryan “Neckbeard” Fitzpatrick which resulted in a touchdown drive for them, making it 17-10. They went for & recovered the Onside Kick. They also managed to not score any points after that. The Dolphins would find theirselves with ball at the 2:00 Warning. Fitzpatrick would take them on a 9 play 75 yard touchdown drive with six seconds remaining on the clock. Miami went for the win with the 2 Point Conversion and failed. The Redskins would recover the onside kick by Miami and Keenum took a knee to get the Redskins their first win of the season. 
Riggo-toni

The 2019 Free Agency Tracker -Added: Landon Collins, Rodgers-Cromartie, Donald Penn, Flowers, Smallwood. Lost:Preston Smith, Nsekhe, Crowder, HaHa

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

There is no way that Keenum will be as productive as Cousins.  He had one fluky run in Minnesota where he was decent.  Everything else tells us he's a back up caliber QB.  Hoping for more than that is unrealistic.

 

Why expect Cousins to be bitter if we'd just paid him when the time came instead of jerking him around and tagging him?  That's how most teams handle their business at QB when they've got a guy there.  I guess because we've never had a good QB for more than a season or two over the last 40 years that we had no clue what to do when it was time to negotiate an extension.  But at the very least, a front office that was any good, who was iffy about committing to Cousins, would have headed off the chance of having him walk for nothing by using Kirk to get a replacement.

I wouldn't write off Keenum's 2017 as "fluky"...he was outstanding for what the Vikings needed him to do and he lost his starting RB that year too. I think Gruden will like Keenum because of his mobility and slinger mentaltiy. Keenum has thrown the ball a lot in his career so not much should phase him. I also think there's something to be said for the late bloomer QB's in the NFL who are put into a system they are comfortable in. Let's hope that's Keenum. He will need help for sure, mostly out of the running game which is why we should bring back A.P. to go with Guice. I'm not excited for Keenum but I am optimistic and I think the Skins did very well to get him. He destroyed us two years ago in DC with a good but not great Vikings offense. Let's see what Jay can do with him. 

I also agree with our front office in not committing to KC...he hadn't done enough to get paid what Minnesota gave him. Should we have traded him? Yes. But KC is not a guy you build a franchise around in my opinion and I think Minnesota is finding that out now too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

You pointed out that Berry was 13 going INTO 2016... the year before he got paid.  Collins was 28th overall going into 2018.  

 

My mistake, I must have stated it wrong.  He was 13 coming off of his 2016 season, not going into it.  That is a very different situation going into his contract negotiation in February of 2017 than Collins's situation in March of 2019, where Collins is coming off a mediocre season.

 

For whatever reason, Berry's contract didn't really effect safety salaries in 2017 or 2018.  But this Collins salary already has.  Tyrann Mathieu went from making 7 million in 2018 to getting 14 this time.  I think it's pretty clear we raised the bar when we agreed to that deal with Collins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know who we sign next but the media is going to tie us to every big name from here on out because we signed Collins which was a need, is young and I'm glad we signed him.  I guess we let the draft come to us know.  We night not here anymore news for a few more days on another decent signing now but again am thankful for Collins signing. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Unbias said:

 

Houston concerns me. He was a beast leading up to his contract extension (had a 22 sack season!!!), but after that ACL surgeries have sort of capped his production at under 10 sacks. I'd like him at the right price, but clearly he's not the potential defensive MVP he once was. 

 

Well....Yeah...LOL. Thats why you could sign him for value.

 

His film still shows a HIGHLY productive. The man had 9 sacks and 5 FF in 12 games last year... Thats a probowler and PFF agrees.

 

If you can sign him to a 3/40M deal, It would be hard to pass on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RWJ said:

Don't know who we sign next but the media is going to tie us to every big name from here on out because we signed Collins which was a need, is young and I'm glad we signed him.  I guess we let the draft come to us know.  We night not here anymore news for a few more days on another decent signing now but again am thankful for Collins signing. :)

We're gonna hear something today....this is the Redskins, most dominant franchise in off-season history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, carex said:

Kirk wouldn't be worth much more than the comp pick we're getting.  And frankly in Minnestoa Kirk's still seeming less than happy even with getting his money and the starting job 

 

If a GM can't get more than a third rounder in return for a good starting QB in his late 20s, then he shouldn't have a job.

 

There was significant interest in Kirk in 2017 and we should have used him to get either Mahomes or Watson in that year's draft.  That's not hindsight from me talking either, I was begging for us to either pay Kirk or deal him to get Watson.  It's what a good front office would have done.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

If a GM can't get more than a third rounder in return for a good starting QB in his late 20s, then he shouldn't have a job.

 

There was significant interest in Kirk in 2017 and we should have used him to get either Mahomes or Watson in that year's draft.  That's not hindsight from me talking either, I was begging for us to either pay Kirk or deal him to get Watson.  It's what a good front office would have done.

 

unless the coaches don't want those two particular QBs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should’ve traded Kirk for Mahomes and Watson.  Then we could’ve flipped Watson to Jags for their entire defensive front 7.

 

Damn you, Bruce!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

My mistake, I must have stated it wrong.  He was 13 coming off of his 2016 season, not going into it.  That is a very different situation going into his contract negotiation in February of 2017 than Collins's situation in March of 2019, where Collins is coming off a mediocre season.

 

For whatever reason, Berry's contract didn't really effect safety salaries in 2017 or 2018.  But this Collins salary already has.  Tyrann Mathieu went from making 7 million in 2018 to getting 14 this time.  I think it's pretty clear we raised the bar when we agreed to that deal with Collins.

 

 

 

I gotcha bud,

 

I just question that Collins re-set the market, or if this was kind of a bubble bursting situation.  Berry set the market for premier safeties, but since him there havent been many. This is an odd year where multiple top tier safeties have hit free agency.. thus inflating the number.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to re-litigate the whole Kirk thing again but trading Kirk in 2017 was not going to net much at all.  We had 1 year of team control remaining and Kirk and his agent were adamant that unless his new team offered a record breaking deal he was still going to test FA in 2018.  For comparison it was very much the same situation Pitt found itself in with Antonio Brown and the compensation would have been in that ball park and then we would have needed to draft or trade for Kirk's replacement.  2017 just kicked the can down the road for a year but frankly there was never a chance of getting a haul for Kirk.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bonez3 said:

Collins is a blue chip signing for a player in mid 20's. This is what a non-playoff team should do to bolster talent. His contract growth over the years will be mitigated by the void he fills. I get he's regarded at niche, but he's elite at that role and that's the value. Very excited by the signing. 

 

Would go WR, edge, Oline in draft in first 3 rounds

 

And he adds value as a money backer in any situation, as he the same size as Reuben Foster.

 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

It's how you operate when your main goal is to survive until next season.

 

But you don't get to have job security in any organization when you botch your QB situation as badly as Allen and Gruden have.  No regime deserves a fourth chance there.  Allen, at the very least, should have been put out of his misery by now.  The desperation creates bad decision-making, which leads to more bad decision-making to cope with prior bad decisions.  We are always going to be paying this piper with this FO structure.  They couldn't even get ahead of the curve when Kirk Cousins's unlikely emergence profoundly saved all of their asses the first time they ****ed up.

 

This overall stance isn’t what it once was, right? Cousins had an average year with Vikings and Foles getting $50mil guaranteed over 4 years. 

 

I thought Cousins almost cost them after the Giants game. I hear you though, I do believe Gruden and Cousins benefitted one another to remain a head coach and starting QB. Honestly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WelshSkinsFan said:

Not to re-litigate the whole Kirk thing again but trading Kirk in 2017 was not going to net much at all.  We had 1 year of team control remaining and Kirk and his agent were adamant that unless his new team offered a record breaking deal he was still going to test FA in 2018.  For comparison it was very much the same situation Pitt found itself in with Antonio Brown and the compensation would have been in that ball park and then we would have needed to draft or trade for Kirk's replacement.  2017 just kicked the can down the road for a year but frankly there was never a chance of getting a haul for Kirk.

 

Everybody rational knows this, but you have to ignore this reality if you want to push the DUMPSTER FIRE narrative.

 

Especially now that KC is already wearing out his welcome in Minnesota.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Keenum vs Smith, I think we can expect slightly better production out of case vs. Smith.

Their stats are remarkably similar, and don't forget this team was 6-3 through 9 games with Smith's stats looking like this.. a rookie would probably have had better stats.

 

image.png.a90369be5b99c9c4fb875d245d7cd2de.png

 

Here's Keenum's 2018, a not so good year with a not so good broncos team:

 image.png.ed662b855da864d8b8e2dd272833eebf.png

 

Personally, I think a 65% ish, 20 td 3600-3800 yard or so passer will do just fine, provided the running game matches or exceeds what it did last year.

 

It won't be the flashiest thing, but I think we can easily win 9-10 games with Keenum starting and a rookie being groomed on the bench behind him.

I think Keenum would at least match Smith's production (not a high bar to set) and best case he exceeds it by a good margin. I don't see a downside to it for a vet who likes to take shots downfield and a ball control offense.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LB Jordan Hicks to the Cards for 4yr/$36M w/ $20M guaranteed per Rapaport on NFL network.   Another ILB gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m only ok with Case having a winning record if we draft a qb this year. Otherwise... a professional Tank for Tua 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I’m only ok with Case having a winning record if we draft a qb this year. Otherwise... a professional Tank for Tua 

 

Tank for Trevor, maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

So now those numbers are in.

Amos deal is really a good one. We should of been in on him, but oh well.

 

Smith:... EEeeesssshhhhh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Typical early free agency. These contracts are stupid. And most of these guys are going to be released in 2 years.

 

Everyone is getting paid for Hall of Fame level of production.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

 

Tank for Trevor, maybe?

 

That’s a 2 year tank job... he’s not available next year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I like the Collins signing, as I believe he is not only better, younger, and more of a tone setter than DJ was, but that he is a leader on the field (and in the locker room) who can change the whole demeanor of our defense on Sundays). That being said, I believe the Redskins need to add another big impact defender via free agency if they want to truly improve the 2019 defense. Losing Smith and DJ, and only adding Collins, given the uncertainty of the Foster and Nicholson situations, is maybe a 'push' at best in improving the defense. That won't cut it, given how poorly this defense played in the latter half of 2018.

 

This team needs a couple of major impact additions on that side of the ball in order to be truly improved, so that they can then turn their attention to a combo of BPA, and to addressing what looks to potentially be the league's worst offense, via the draft. There is still plenty of time for them to do that, but they truly need to be all-in if they want to put an improved defensive product on the field for 2019. If it's more of the same, one step forward, two steps back half measures this offseason, then we'll be spinning our wheels again. 

Edited by Stormy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The defense really wasn’t an issue until Drew Brees senior night and then the entire offense hit the IR. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Williams was never given opportunity to be #1, he has the talent. If I had the choice between him and Richardson, it's a no brainer

 

Bro, we have a guy with MORE talent, Doctson.   Who, with NO REAL QB essentially half the year, still had more catches than Williams in a good offense backed by a good defense and running game.   Williams has been more productive certainly in his career, but let's not go nuts.   He's no better than a No. 2 because No. 1s aren't "given a chance".    You know them and they generate those chances by being open :).   There aren't a lot of legit No. 1s.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

Re: Keenum vs Smith, I think we can expect slightly better production out of case vs. Smith.

Their stats are remarkably similar, and don't forget this team was 6-3 through 9 games with Smith's stats looking like this.. a rookie would probably have had better stats.

 

image.png.a90369be5b99c9c4fb875d245d7cd2de.png

 

Here's Keenum's 2018, a not so good year with a not so good broncos team:

 image.png.ed662b855da864d8b8e2dd272833eebf.png

 

Personally, I think a 65% ish, 20 td 3600-3800 yard or so passer will do just fine, provided the running game matches or exceeds what it did last year.

 

It won't be the flashiest thing, but I think we can easily win 9-10 games with Keenum starting and a rookie being groomed on the bench behind him.

I think Keenum would at least match Smith's production (not a high bar to set) and best case he exceeds it by a good margin. I don't see a downside to it for a vet who likes to take shots downfield and a ball control offense.

 

Smith obviously didn't light up the stat sheet, but his lack of turnovers was a big reason for our success. Case is a wealthy man's version of Colt. I'm not overly optimistic at the thought of him paired with our weak WR corp, but who knows how the rest of FA/draft will play out.

 

With roughly $9M to spend in FA, I don't see how we can land another name. I like how Schaeffer worked magic with the Collins signing, but I don't want to backload too many deals and put us in a bad place over the next few years. The Alex Smith deal has essentially turned into Haynesworth cap penalty. I liked the reasoning behind the trade and am now hoping that we follow through now with Case being the mentor to a young QB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Want Hockenson at 15 if there or trade back for Fant. There's your passing game upgrade 

And your improved run blocking from the TE position, which is woeful among the current group of TEs other than Sprinkle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

We're gonna hear something today....this is the Redskins, most dominant franchise in off-season history. 

 

1999 was 20 years ago everyone. Why do we ignore the last decade of bargain shopping?

 

6 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

The defense really wasn’t an issue until Drew Brees senior night and then the entire offense hit the IR. 

 

Lacks overall speed and athleticism IMO. 

 

 

12 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Typical early free agency. These contracts are stupid. And most of these guys are going to be released in 2 years.

 

Everyone is getting paid for Hall of Fame level of production.

 

 

Or as we call in baseball, middle reliever money. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.