Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Exactly, there are six or seven legit safeties on the market.  Wait til the last ones sign and we compare deals.  They might not be as good as LC, but the value will be a lot more.

This is how you sign McClain and McGee in free agency.  I don't want Bruce shopping in the bargain bins in free agency ever again, either pay for quality or skip the whole thing and just use the draft and then go UDFA to fill the roster.

1 minute ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

This is how you sign McClain and McGee in free agency.  I don't want Bruce shopping in the bargain bins in free agency ever again, either pay for quality or skip the whole thing and just use the draft and then go UDFA to fill the roster.

Let's not forget that bum DJ Swearinger

Redpocalypse I say ! Damn you Bruce Allen ! Serial overpayer !

Chill out we dont have the deets yet and more often than not they break in our direction.  Collins was a solid add to continue building a strong D and we didn't get stuck in a bidding war with the other suitors. Time will tell. 

Years of being a fledgling franchise have eroded the fanbase into a bunch of whining ninnies

3 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Well before paying Allen and Payne, we'll have to pay Scherff... Which will be really, really, really, really tough now...

Huh?  Extending Scherff will be easy.  Standard backloaded deal with prorated bonus and a low cap figure for the first couple years.

Some of you guys are so focused in on trashing the FO, you can’t even comprehend basic, rudimentary capology.

3 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Nailed it.  Plenty of other safeties, but this was a great fit all things considered.  Also hurts a division rival.

47 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Out of curiosity, is anyone gonna wait until the specific details of the contract come out before rolling their eyes and criticizing the move?...Because far, far more times than not, the details end up breaking in the Skins' favor.

Winning off the field!

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Huh?  Extending Scherff will be easy.  Standard backloaded deal with prorated bonus and a low cap figure for the first couple years.

Some of you guys are so focused in on trashing the FO, you can’t even comprehend basic, rudimentary capology.

Exactly.   Extending Scherff is super simple.   He's a 12.5 million base this year.   NOT extending him is hard.   Unless you don't plan on building with him, he's the absolute easiest to extend.

15 minutes ago, Art said:

Problem is ZaDarius Smith is Preston Smith.   Why not just keep Preston as ZaDarius will get more because he is coming off a better year.

They are essentially the same player, except Preston has generally been better.   Personally I think Preston is a huge weakness for us in the defense we run and am fine with him leaving and us NOT looking at Zadarius.   I'd actually probably prefer Brandon Copeland, if you want a guy you won't ever rush with, who MIGHT be better in the flat but with some upside, or a low-ball effort at Houston, if you want a guy with top-end rush possibilities.   You just can't have Kerrigan and a guy almost exactly like Kerrigan at the other side and expect not to get eaten alive by backs or tight ends in the flat, as we are always.

And no one seems to want to listen to me and simply run a 4-3 with Kerrigan and Smith at end and win the whole world :).

I was envisaging that ZaDarius would come 'cheaper' or should I say 'less expensive' than Preston. Keen to see what they get now. GB looking there way I think.

I suspect the draft could bring us a top end rush guy. As for Kerrigan, often wonder how many years he's got left in the tank. Would keep him here in 2019 though.

6 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Some GM's don't like it because of the $$ and for no other reason!

I would imagine the teams that thought the deal was "nuts" were the teams that are pissed off that they can't take advantage of a crowded safety field in free agency anymore lol...

5 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

Winning off the field!

I'm taking it that's a "no" then lol...

2 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Not sure how the Skins afford anything else now. This team isn't a safety away from making the playoffs.

Do folks not read the thread before posting? Easy to open cap space by extending Scherff. Cut/trade Brown, M Foster and restructuring any number of contracts.

Just now, desertbeagle85 said:

Not sure how the Skins afford anything else now. This team isn't a safety away from making the playoffs.

Part of me is fine with this.  There was no way to save the WR core outside getting AB, this will force us to either address QB or trade down to do it way some of yall be begging for.  We should not ignore high quality players that WANT to be here in FA.

We can easily free up cap room and certainly will.  would imagine the first year hit on LC will be on the lower end and once we get the Scherff extension worked out that will lower his number too.  We clearly are looking to move Foster and Brown so that will clear more space and I would look for a restructure or two as they become needed, Norman being a prime candidate.

Collins is a damn good football player but that's a lot of money for a Safety who doesn't take over games the way Reed or Polamalu did. We still need a cover safety because Collin is really more of an in the box guy.

This is just the SnyderSkins MO all over again. Go big on a FA with name recognition to distract an angry fanbase.

8 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Some GM's don't like it because of the $$ and for no other reason!

So, Greg has no sources who've yet seen the contract because the contract has not been submitted and won't be.   So he has ZERO sources who have told him it's nuts based on any actual evidence.   And he has no sources who told him a team in need of a safety is nuts for signing a young, good safety.   Thus you know the post is simply a guy wanting to be charming and failing.   ONCE someone has viewed the contract, he can let us know he now has a source who says nuts.   

Archived