Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

No, the plan is always limp along at mediocrity just enough so we can say "if not for injuries, if not for rain, if not for the way that ball bounced that one time" and everybody gets to keep their high paying jobs

No team can lose 24 players, including their starting QB and be any good.  None.   Yes, if not for injuries at the level we had we win the division last year.   That doesn't mean much as we were not that good and would have gotten stomped in the playoffs.   But if the cards fall reasonably we can be a playoff team without too much of an imagination stretch.   At least it appears we intend to maintain that possibility with Collins being brought in.

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm interested in why the Redskins haven't been able to find one in forever. 

As I said earlier, I'm interested in a proper rebuild (read: finding a franchise quarterback, included) not adding a high priced safety that won't move the needle.

Having done one, doesn't mean we won't do the other. In fact, I would say that signing FA's to fill needs frees us to trade up if their is a QB we love, to trade for Rosen, or just to grab the BPA at 15 instead of drafting for need. I have to believe there is a plan at QB. 

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

As I said earlier, I'm interested in a proper rebuild (read: finding a franchise quarterback, included) not adding a high priced safety that won't move the needle.

Who has been able to find one exactly?

5 minutes ago, pcbothwel said:

i dont understand the interest in cutting Reed...Sure, If someone wants to trade us a draft pick for Reed at 8M per year...fine.

But in a world where Reed makes as much as Crowder over the next 3 years...whats the real motive?

You are still paying for a guy who just doesnt really ever play. He has played 65 games in 6 seasons. There is no doubting his ability when he plays. But you are constantly eating up a roster spot for him. And his 10 game average isnt worth 8 Mill per year at that position.

Want to point out here that "proper rebuild" the way you're thinking of isn't appropriate for middling teams, it's appropriate for basement-dweller teams. Middling teams are better served to incrementally build smartly -- e.g., finding blue-chip young players to build around. Collins is 25, if he were 31 I'd agree with you. But ideally he's in our secondary for the next 7-10 years. There's no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yes HOF QB’s are a dime a dozen. 

I figured your approach was to criticize with no real plan of your own. 

Seattle was able to make a decent run by building a solid team then having Wilson/Okung/Sherman/Wagner/Chancellor on rookie deals. 

Now that they’ve had to sign/release these guys because of $$$ they can’t have the same success. 

Parity 

12 minutes ago, alwaysaskin said:

Does anyone trust this team to draft a good Wide Receiver? Crowder is a bright spot in a large pile of garbage. Speaking of garbage I guess we’re still waiting on Doctson

Scotty McCloughin drafted Doctson because he was a football guy who loved the game.   Doctson, who appears he'd rather be combing his hair than playing.   Drafting isn't a science.   This Metcalf guy screams to me another Michael Westbrook.   Westbrook was a physical beast.    He was interesting, never great.   We seem to have done an ok job drafting Allen and Payne the last couple drafts, though it's still early on them.   We'll hopefully get someone ok at receiver in the draft if we go that way, which I'd bet money we will :).

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

Want to point out here that "proper rebuild" the way you're thinking of isn't appropriate for middling teams, it's appropriate for basement-dweller teams. Middling teams are better served to incrementally build smartly -- e.g., finding blue-chip young players to build around. Collins is 25, if he were 31 I'd agree with you. But ideally he's in our secondary for the next 7-10 years. There's no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

The only team in the NFC with pass wins than the Redskins since 2000 is the Detroit Lions, I think that pretty much puts this team in basement dweller status

1 minute ago, Art said:

Who has been able to find one exactly?

Curious what other players the skins are targeting.

You said to expect 1 or 2 more big(ish) signings.. any idea on who or what positions?

If Mosley doesn't make it to town, I'd guess they're targeting WR and OLB in FA.

Williams from SD and a speed rusher maybe?

4 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

Parity.

It exists. Some teams are better than others, but many are middle of the road. That's how teams come out of nowhere to have monster seasons that weren't anticipated. Yes we'd all like a HOF qb. But your odds of getting one are pretty slim. It's far more like you'll draft a Shuler than a Manning up high in the draft. So you keep building your team and hope you can find one, some way some how.

Look at our own division rivals the cowgirls. Romo was a undrafted walk on, and set damn near every passing record they had. He retires, In comes Dak, who has 2 10+ win seasonss and 2 playoff appearances, all as a lowly 4th round pick. Why?

Because they kept building their defense, O-line and running game.

Is Dak a HOF guy? No. Is he good enough to win games and give you a chance in the playoffs? Absolutely yes.

Here's another example. Nick Foles. The guy was almost out of the league and caught fire in the playoffs and gave them a SB trophy. And he did it by beating a HOF qb in Brady.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. The first hurdle is getting to the playoffs and all bets are off as it's a new season.

Sure, that's a good analysis.

Except our defense sucked last year, the running game relied on an aging hall of famer (I know, Guice), and our O-line wasn't spectacular (I know, injuries).  But the odds of finding an undrafted guy like Romo and a qb in the 4th to lead your team to back to back 10 win seasons are slim, too.  

I don't disagree with your take, it's just that I think the Skins are 52 players away from being a contender.  I agree that the first hurdle is getting to the playoffs but that seems to be an issue here.

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig mentions here Hockenson might be in play at 15, hard to tell if that's his take or someone told him from the team likes him.  That's my guy at 15 if I had to stick with one.  You want to win with a mediocre at best pass game -- then build up the defense and offensive blocking.  Hockenson = monster TE blocker and passing weapon, too.  The other somewhat obvious thing IMO is take one of the pass rushers to push the defense further. 

I like Hock but I just think you can get good quality at TE in the later rounds better than just about any other position. You even made a post here earlier about late round start % being the highest at TE. 

I see Hock replacing Olsen in Carolina. 

3 minutes ago, alwaysaskin said:

The only team in the NFC with pass wins than the Redskins since 2000 is the Detroit Lions, I think that pretty much puts this team in basement dweller status

7-9 and 9th in the NFC last year is, by definition, middling.

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Dude, that's the whole point.  This team is always a middling team.  The Redskins are always selling the fanbase that "THIS IS THE YEAR" and it never is.  Look no further than this board.  

Are you happy being in the middle?  I'm certainly not.  And while Collins is a nice piece, does he put us over the top?

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig mentions here Hockenson might be in play at 15, hard to tell if that's his take or someone told him from the team likes him.  That's my guy at 15 if I had to stick with one.  You want to win with a mediocre at best pass game -- then build up the defense and offensive blocking.  Hockenson = monster TE blocker and passing weapon, too.  The other somewhat obvious thing IMO is take one of the pass rushers to push the defense further. 

I'm with you on Tj Hockenson. I'm okay with getting a situational edge rusher in the 3rd..like your guy Benagu or Sutton. I think Ryan Anderson can handle the early downs. TJ as you mentioned helps the offensive in the run and pass game by his ability and being less predictable from a personnel grouping. That would make our 2nd round pick interesting.. WR?FS?OG? I think our young qb comes from the other 3rd..either via trade for Rosen or someone like Grier/Finley/stidham. 

Dude, that's the whole point.  This team is always a middling team.  The Redskins are always selling the fanbase that "THIS IS THE YEAR" and it never is.  Look no further than this board.  

Are you happy being in the middle?  I'm certainly not.  And while Collins is a nice piece, does he put us over the top?

He is part of the process to get over the top.

That's my point -- reality is not either being 1 piece away or stripping apart everything.

3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Gahhhh **** the Eagles. Now i cant Wear my Jackson jersey anymore. I wore it when he was in Tampa cause i still Liked the guy. But now he’s back in our division?? He’s gonna smoke us twice a year again. Great....

I'm not worried about djax.  He is on the downslope of his career.   He can effectively play his role if he stays healthy, but I think odds are greater that he gets hurt or has minimal impact.  I wouldn't be surprised if eagles part ways with him in 2020.

Remember last year people were obsessing over him after his start, I was one of the few that said it wouldn't last, and it didnt.  Injury prone speed demons don't age well.

Archived