• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   

My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  

Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  

Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 

The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  

The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 

1st Quarter - Redskins 0 - 6 Jets
      If you wanted to sit in the cold and watch a football game with some Jets fans at FedEx, but were worried that there were not enough seats available, I have good news.  There’s plenty of space available, so come on down and prove you’re a real fan by sitting though this in person.

Jets dominated the 1st quarter even though they only scored 6 points.  The reason being that Washington managed only 13 yards of offense and a single first down.  

Question: Is it still a check down pass if the QB never looks at anyone else?

2nd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      The Jets have achieved an insurmountable 13 point lead early in the 2nd quarter.  All hope is lost.

Is there a more perfect example of the Redskins offense than their first scoring drive in the 2nd quarter?  Interception gives the Redskins the ball on the Jets 16 yard line.  They proceed to march 10 yards backwards before kicking a field goal from the Jets 26.  It's perfect.  Two or three more field goals we can call it a day. 

The Jets score again and if feels like they are are just piling on at this point.  Three touchdowns in the first half for them, just three points for the redskins.  Our streak of no touchdowns has now extended to 15 quarters. 

3rd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      There is a spider slowly descending from the ceiling in the press box and it's the most interesting thing that's happened during the third quarter of this game. 

I have decided to allow the spider to live, provided it does not touch me.  I'm off to get some more caffeine. 

4th Quarter - Redskins 17 - 34 Jets
      The first wave of Redskins fans, the few that are here, started streaming towards the exits after that 4th Jets touchdown.  As if the Jets didn't have this game wrapped up in the 2nd quarter. 

Jet have now more than doubled their average points per game and have matched their season high of 34 points (and they missed two field goals in this game). 

TOUCHDOWN REDSKINS!  THE DROUGHT IT OVER!  Guice took a short pass from Haskins  all the way to the house.  2 point conversion is successful on a pass from Haskins to Quinn. 

The Redskins score another touchdown!  This feels like an embarrassment of riches, even if we are still certain to lose this game. 

End of Game.

Let's review those reasonable goals I mentioned earlier:

1- Success.
      2- Close enough, I'm counting it
      3- Haskins did throw for over 200, but unfortunately did have an interception. 
      4- Guice was not given the opportunity to run the ball ten times today.  He did however score on a 45 yard TD pass and finish the game healthy.  I'll take it.

Even though the Redskins lost, it was good to see the offense show some faint signs of life and end the streak of games without a TD.  The team looked competitive for much of the second half, and perhaps they could have made this a fun game if they carried that same energy throughout.  It was good to see Guice and Mclaurin show out today.  I think both of them have a future with this team that I look forward to seeing. 

Riggo-toni

The 2019 Free Agency Tracker -Added: Landon Collins, Rodgers-Cromartie, Donald Penn, Flowers, Smallwood. Lost:Preston Smith, Nsekhe, Crowder, HaHa

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

who knows if true but for entertainment purposes

Josh Doctson for Laquon Treadwell?....No thanks.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm seeing a few hints on Twitter that AP is signed so let's see if that news releases today....

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Josh Doctson for Laquon Treadwell?....No thanks.

A Lemon swap? Though Doctson at least sees the field while Treadwell gets healthy scratched. So yeah, I'd just keep Doctson, who is at least playable

• Like 1

On a non QB note, he just said he thinks they liked the Honey Badger but that was until the Giants let Collins go. He thinks they will try to get Landon Collins -- that's news. 

• Like 2

Was reading a tidbit this morning and it was noted we may be able to convert Alex Smiths salary to a signing bonus? Any truth to this? Is it possible?

On another note, I'd like to see us make some moves before the end of this week to know how much money we truly have going in to FA and the draft. Similar to teams restructuring and/or releasing players, or re-signing players.

Extend Scherff and Ionnaidis

Convert Alex Smiths salary to a signing bonus, if possible.

Restructure or release Norman

Re-sign AP

Restructure or release Zach Brown

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Was reading a tidbit this morning and it was noted we may be able to convert Alex Smiths salary to a signing bonus? Any truth to this? Is it possible?

On another note, I'd like to see us make some moves before the end of this week to know how much money we truly have going in to FA and the draft. Similar to teams restructuring and/or releasing players, or re-signing players.

Re-sign AP

Does converting that salary make it applicable to the salary cap? I believe it makes us take the entire hit this season. Would keep us from signing ANY FAs.

Edited by panahoo

Norman, Reed, and Doctson on that trade list.   Interesting.  Make it happen but Keep Ionidis if we can.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, panahoo said:

Does converting that salary make it applicable to the salary cap? I believe it makes us take the entire hit this season. Would keep us from signing ANY FAs.

I believe the salary goes against the cap year but the signing bonus would then be divided through the remainder of the contract which would, I believe (and could very well be wrong) that his base salary would be $5 million against the cap, this year, as opposed to the $15m salary cap hit.

It would give relief this year but would add $5m to the remaining years cap hits.... it's essentially pushing the money down the line for relief in this years budget

OR, I am a complete jackass and honestly have no clue how NFL salary caps work... (again, quite possible)

Edited by SemperFi Skins

18 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Norman, Reed, and Doctson on that trade list.   Interesting.  Make it happen but Keep Ionidis if we can.

Are those 3 on the trade list or you just throwing that out there?. 

HTTR 

43 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Re-sign AP

Of course we can restructure Smith...or better and more accurately called..."Conversion".

But that would mean converting his base salary this year into a signing bonus which would simply delay his cap hit out further. I dont really get the point in doing that if we assume next year and the year after we'll need the money for Scherff, Ionniadis, Allen, etc.

The fact that his 2020 salary is guaranteed for injury absolutely kills us

• Like 1

Lot of talk round here about moving on from the silver back.. we know it won't happen, he'll retire here like Chris Samuels did,and there's two all world left tackles we have nothing to show for.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, pcbothwel said:

Of course we can restructure Smith...or better and more accurately called..."Conversion".

But that would mean converting his base salary this year into a signing bonus which would simply delay his cap hit out further. I dont really get the point in doing that if we assume next year and the year after we'll need the money for Scherff, Ionniadis, Allen, etc.

The fact that his 2020 salary is guaranteed for injury absolutely kills us

if it just delayed it I can see considering restructuring  a problem.  But it can delay it and spread it out, which I'd be totally cool with

3 hours ago, Jericho said:

A Lemon swap? Though Doctson at least sees the field while Treadwell gets healthy scratched. So yeah, I'd just keep Doctson, who is at least playable

then again Doctson is injury prone and Treadwell is a healthy scratch on a team with several quality WRs.  Fifth best for them might be third for us

Posted (edited)

The thing is they have been linked with big names before including Calais Campbell.  It seems like they poke around, the price is too rich and then they move on.  Josh Norman being an exception.  So not sure how much I buy linkage to big name players and them actually landing them.  But if they truly want a splash, they IMO need to dive into the deep end of the pool even if its just for one player.  Personally as I've said many times,  I don't like to go crazy in spending in FA -- but I mostly hate the bargain basement shopping version of it or overpaying for medium level guys;  Pea, J. Johnson, McGee, Scandrick, A. Roberts.  If I am swinging am swinging big.  They have enough decent to good players but not enough of big time difference makers.  Collins would be IMO a difference maker.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/07/free-agency-under-radar-tyrell-williams-chargers-trent-brown-jamison-crowder

....Redskins WR Jamison Crowder: Based on what I’ve heard he’s turned down, it wouldn’t shock me to see him land somewhere between $8 million and $10 million per. Slots are more important, and more valued, than ever, which is good news for Crowder, Adam Humphries and Cole Beasley, as well as third-contract candidates Golden Tate and Randall Cobb

Redskins OLB Preston Smith: Teams I’ve talked to see Smith as having been a tough scheme fit as a 3-4 outside linebacker—and he still wound up with 24.5 sacks over four years as a Redskin. As such, the feeling is there’s a boatload of untapped potential in the 26-year-old, and a payday probably between $10 million and $12 million per waiting for him.

I wouldn’t be totally stunned if the Redskins took a big swing or two. Maybe it’s Antonio Brown. Maybe it’s Josh Rosen. Their biggest problem in pulling off the former (not so much the latter, since Rosen is cheap) relates to their cap situation. And that’s why some eyes have been on Washington players who could wind up on the chopping block....

We know the cap goes up $5M-$10M every season so converting/restructuring Alex is prob on the table for Bruce and Jay who are in win now mode to maintain their "we're close" rhetoric.  I could see this happening if possible.  And if future cap increases cover the addt'l down the road or come close, even better.

Posted (edited)

I personally want Landon Collins because he’s an absolute DOG on the field. 

I also want Dante Fowler Jr as I feel he has untapped potential. 

Only question is can we tap into it. I think Rob Ryan can help with that. 

Hail

Edited by skinsfan212689

28 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

I personally want Landon Collins because he’s an absolute DOG on the field. 

I also want Dante Fowler Jr as I feel he has untapped potential. 

Only question is can we tap into it. I think Rob Ryan can help with that. 

Hail

I think Rob is working with the ILB’s

• Like 1

I'd be fine with trading for Rosen, and trading Reed/Thompson/Norman. This team needs a serious rebuild. We already have too many holes to fill due to roster mismanagement, and with Alex's injury, we are in a pickle with the cap. Might as well collect as much draft resources as possible, while bringing in a young QB on a cheap contract.

One thing I don't want is AB. Dude is a selfish primadona, who'd be a massive distraction once he doesn't get 10 targets a game or when the team starts losing. We don't need that headache.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

I'd be fine with trading for Rosen, and trading Reed/Thompson/Norman. This team needs a serious rebuild. We already have too many holes to fill due to roster mismanagement, and with Alex's injury, we are in a pickle with the cap. Might as well collect as much draft resources as possible, while bringing in a young QB on a cheap contract.

One thing I don't want is AB. Dude is a selfish primadona, who'd be a massive distraction once he doesn't get 10 targets a game or when the team starts losing. We don't need that headache.

A team with a real 3-year plan would do this. The Redskins are hoping for 9-7 and to limp into the playoffs in 2019. 2020 and beyond be damned.

Posted (edited)

tons of moves happening from other teams....

and the Skins..... nothing

That being said, the Safety market is taking a beating... there is a ton of starting competition out there. Somewhere, Earl Thomas is curled up with a pillow. 

Edited by SemperFi Skins