Riggo-toni

The 2019 Free Agency Tracker -Added: Landon Collins, Rodgers-Cromartie, Donald Penn, Flowers, Smallwood. Lost:Preston Smith, Nsekhe, Crowder, HaHa

1 minute ago, carex said:

why can't he be one of those guys who plays to 35 or older

He could be, but I think it's safe to say his best years are behind him.  It's also safe to say that the Redskins won't be contending next year, probably not the year after either.  Cutting Alex Smith will limit how quickly we can turn it around using free agency, so it's going to have to be a more methodical rebuild via the draft.  By the time we are competitive, kerrigan will be mid thirties, and probably shouldn't be a starter at that point.  Also take into consideration the cap space he will take up during that time.  

I know emotionally it is a tough decision due to sentimentality, but emotions aside, I think trading kerrigan for a day 2 pick is an absolute no brainer.  I would send that paperwork in asap before the other team changes their minds

10 minutes ago, carex said:

why can't he be one of those guys who plays to 35 or older

Do you think paying Kerrigan some 50mil in cash over that period would be a good use of resource for this organisation.

I can understand how organizations in general (across all sports) can be hesitant to be sellers in general.  It's tough to send that message to season ticket holders and corporate sponsors that you are waving the white flag.  The team will generally see a brief, negative reaction, and the team will be embarrassed by the frustration of the fanbase, empty seats, and losing sponsors in the aftermath. 

But this is the first time I can remember where a teams fanbase may generally have a positive reaction to waving the white flag and announcing to the world we are sellers.  Everyone knows we suck!  The seats are already empty!  The fanbase is already frustrated and feeling hopeless beyond belief!  We might as well execute a plan that reflects a long term vision.  And if corporate sponsorships haven't plummeted recently already, I don't think trading away overpriced vets whose best days are behind them will be the straw that broke the camel's back.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

He could be, but I think it's safe to say his best years are behind him.  It's also safe to say that the Redskins won't be contending next year, probably not the year after either.  Cutting Alex Smith will limit how quickly we can turn it around using free agency, so it's going to have to be a more methodical rebuild via the draft.  By the time we are competitive, kerrigan will be mid thirties, and probably shouldn't be a starter at that point.  Also take into consideration the cap space he will take up during that time.  

I know emotionally it is a tough decision due to sentimentality, but emotions aside, I think trading kerrigan for a day 2 pick is an absolute no brainer.  I would send that paperwork in asap before the other team changes their minds

I don't think we cut Smith next year, I think we cut him the year after

24 minutes ago, carex said:

I don't think we cut Smith next year, I think we cut him the year after

Possibly, that contract is a bear.  But trading away vets for picks has the additional benefit of getting some of these salaries off the books so we can absorb that hit.  We shouldn't be buyers this coming offseason so we can get comp picks for scherff and everyone else leaving, so cutting Smith this offseason would be best.  It would mean a lot of vets leaving, and very little talent coming in, but if we focus this offseason on trading vets for picks now, gaining comp picks from this offseasons activity, and shedding Smith's contract, that will be a great step in the right direction for our long term health.  

Well, Josh Gordon is now available on waivers - an opportunity for Allen to deflect some attention over his mishandling of Trent Williams by giving Redskins fans another subject to discuss.

• Like 1

I've wanted Josh Gordon on this team for years... i'd absolutely put in a waiver for him as a target for Haskins. We can't be any more dysfunctional so what's the difference. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

How does this Josh Gordon thing work is anybody able to go after him?

anyone can go after him, if you get him depends on your record

• Thanks 1

If he goes unclaimed, he'll be able to choose where he goes. He's indicated (as he should) that he prefers a contender... Don't be surprised if the Packers or 49ers go after him.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

If he goes unclaimed, he'll be able to choose where he goes. He's indicated (as he should) that he prefers a contender... Don't be surprised if the Packers or 49ers go after him.

Bruce will convince him otherwise...

It costs us nothing, I'd absolutely put in a claim for him with no intention of signing him beyond this year.

Edited by MariusVT

the problem with Breer's theory is most teams won't cut a guy they want on their roster for a guy they don't just cause they might get something later

19 minutes ago, carex said:

the problem with Breer's theory is most teams won't cut a guy they want on their roster for a guy they don't just cause they might get something later

They would if they thought Gordon is a better player (he's better than the typical 3rd and 4th receiver on other teams), the X factor is the drama and Gordon's personal demons.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They would if they thought Gordon is a better player (he's better than the typical 3rd and 4th receiver on other teams), the X factor is the drama and Gordon's personal demons.

Breer's theory reads to me they'd just claim his for the post season compensation pick after he left via free agency

52 minutes ago, carex said:

We have Josh Harvey-Clemons on our roster. Every team has their own Harvey-Clemons, there's always room. Like SIP said, it's likely about his off-the-field issues that make teams balk.

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Enough drama? 

Nah, good deflection of focus. Probably unsure who they would release though.

Josh Harvey-Clemons, Craig Reynolds.

I bet you're googling who Craig Reynolds is.

Edited by NickyJ

29 minutes ago, carex said:

Breer's theory reads to me they'd just claim his for the post season compensation pick after he left via free agency

I don't think he means just that.  Gordon has his troubles but he's ultra talented. 

21 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

We have Josh Harvey-Clemons on our roster. Every team has their own Harvey-Clemons, there's always room. Like SIP said, it's likely about his off-the-field issues that make teams balk.

Josh Harvey-Clemons, Craig Reynolds.

I bet you're googling who Craig Reynolds is.

Craig Reynolds is a guy we need at the moment because  with Adrian Peterson hurt we have very little RB depth

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Didn't think about that - very smart play. I withdraw my comment that Allen my pick him up.