• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   

My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  

Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  

Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 

The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  

The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 

1st Quarter - Redskins 0 - 6 Jets
      If you wanted to sit in the cold and watch a football game with some Jets fans at FedEx, but were worried that there were not enough seats available, I have good news.  There’s plenty of space available, so come on down and prove you’re a real fan by sitting though this in person.

Jets dominated the 1st quarter even though they only scored 6 points.  The reason being that Washington managed only 13 yards of offense and a single first down.  

Question: Is it still a check down pass if the QB never looks at anyone else?

2nd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      The Jets have achieved an insurmountable 13 point lead early in the 2nd quarter.  All hope is lost.

Is there a more perfect example of the Redskins offense than their first scoring drive in the 2nd quarter?  Interception gives the Redskins the ball on the Jets 16 yard line.  They proceed to march 10 yards backwards before kicking a field goal from the Jets 26.  It's perfect.  Two or three more field goals we can call it a day. 

The Jets score again and if feels like they are are just piling on at this point.  Three touchdowns in the first half for them, just three points for the redskins.  Our streak of no touchdowns has now extended to 15 quarters. 

3rd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      There is a spider slowly descending from the ceiling in the press box and it's the most interesting thing that's happened during the third quarter of this game. 

I have decided to allow the spider to live, provided it does not touch me.  I'm off to get some more caffeine. 

4th Quarter - Redskins 17 - 34 Jets
      The first wave of Redskins fans, the few that are here, started streaming towards the exits after that 4th Jets touchdown.  As if the Jets didn't have this game wrapped up in the 2nd quarter. 

Jet have now more than doubled their average points per game and have matched their season high of 34 points (and they missed two field goals in this game). 

TOUCHDOWN REDSKINS!  THE DROUGHT IT OVER!  Guice took a short pass from Haskins  all the way to the house.  2 point conversion is successful on a pass from Haskins to Quinn. 

The Redskins score another touchdown!  This feels like an embarrassment of riches, even if we are still certain to lose this game. 

End of Game.

Let's review those reasonable goals I mentioned earlier:

1- Success.
      2- Close enough, I'm counting it
      3- Haskins did throw for over 200, but unfortunately did have an interception. 
      4- Guice was not given the opportunity to run the ball ten times today.  He did however score on a 45 yard TD pass and finish the game healthy.  I'll take it.

Even though the Redskins lost, it was good to see the offense show some faint signs of life and end the streak of games without a TD.  The team looked competitive for much of the second half, and perhaps they could have made this a fun game if they carried that same energy throughout.  It was good to see Guice and Mclaurin show out today.  I think both of them have a future with this team that I look forward to seeing. 

Riggo-toni

The 2019 Free Agency Tracker -Added: Landon Collins, Rodgers-Cromartie, Donald Penn, Flowers, Smallwood. Lost:Preston Smith, Nsekhe, Crowder, HaHa

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I wouldn't give up what could end up being a high first for any DB. Especially not a safety and slot defender.  That is QB and elite lineman territory.

And we are very much in need of an elite OT ... even if Trent comes back.

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

And we are very much in need of an elite OT ... even if Trent comes back.

Well we need a body who can be reliable and start early.  If he ends up being elite, so much the better.

I'm of a mind that the price of left tackles is a market inefficiency and psychologically inflated.  The opposition's on field value isn't actually much higher than guard.  Shotgun heavy personnel have drastically decreased the difficulty of their protection assignments and it's easier to cover a tackle up with a tight end than a guard up with a running back.  And the rise of A and B gap rushers coupled with the fact that pocket passers can't operate at all against interior pressure unlike their ability to cut off rush angles with disciplined movement and negate the edge rush has made guard play more valuable.  Which is why I'm good with keeping Scherff no matter the price.

OTs really distinguish themselves in the run game IMO, and getting a real ass kicker at tackle would be awesome.  But I think we can thrive with just a reliable body, especially if we keep Scherff, get a good LG and/or tight end(s).  However, we're still going to have to draft such a player.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I wouldn't give up what could end up being a high first for any DB. Especially not a safety and slot defender.  That is QB and elite lineman territory.

it might even end up a top 10 pick.  I love Fizpatrick but I wouldn't trade a first right now.   I would trade a 2nd if I had a 2nd.  But hoping somehow Trent could be incorporated in a 3 way trade or something where I'd want him and a pick too.  But probably it's unlikely.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Let’s see if the Bama guys on roster can get Fitzpatrick to list Skins stop places he’s willing to go. 

Have to imagine some backdoor discussions are taking place between these guys. I can’t blame them, if Fitz has rapport with Bama guys on roster, that’d be a unique opportunity for them all to play together. 

Not sure how it would workout though from a compensation standpoint. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

Skins could trade their 2021 1st round pick and a 2020 4th round comp pick, I believe we will get.  Just a thought.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Let’s see if the Bama guys can on roster can get Fitzpatrick to list Skins stop places he’s willing to go. 

Have to imagine some backdoor discussions are taking place between these guys. I can’t blame them, if Fitz has rapport with Bama guys on roster, that’d be a unique opportunity for them all to play together. 

Not sure how it would workout though from a compensation standpoint. 

The more I digest it, Fitzpatrick is almost perfect for this roster.  Aside from the Alabama chemistry thing, he is an elite slot corner and he can fill in whenever needed for injury prone Nicholson at FS.  He's the perfect nickel player.  That's today's NFL. 

Plus Manusky seems to like doing inverted coverages where the safeties and cornerback interchange their roles to in theory fool opposing QBs.  Fitzpatrick would actually be good at it versus our current players who seem like lost puppies at times on that front and blame it on "communication issues".

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The more I digest it, Fitzpatrick is almost perfect for this roster.  Aside from the Alabama chemistry thing, he is an elite slot corner and he can fill in whenever needed for injury prone Nicholson at FS.  He's the perfect nickel player.  That's today's NFL. 

Plus Manusky seems to like doing inverted coverages where the safeties and cornerback interchange their roles to in theory fool opposing QBs.  Fitzpatrick would actually be good at it versus our current players who seem like lost puppies at times on that front and blame it on "communication issues"

I can’t go to in depth with my analysis of Fitz, due to never watching the dude play,  but scouting reports, pedigree, rookie salary, and the potential Bama connection (this isn’t a guarantee, who knows if he has an issue with one the Bama guys on roster making it less appealing). 

I did hear he didn’t like being used as a switz army type player and that being part of reason wanting to leave. I agree though, having a top tier athlete operating as the slot corner in the box sounds extremely appealing. 

There will be no shortage of suitors. I’m hopeful with today’s athlete, the Bama connection is a driving force to him putting Skins atop the list of destination spots hes willing to play at. Today’s player takes pride in controlling their narrative... we’ll see. 

Edited by wit33

6 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I can’t go to in depth with my analysis of Fitz, due to never watching the dude play,  but scouting reports, pedigree, rookie salary, and the potential Bama connection (this isn’t a guarantee, who knows if he has an issue with one the Bama guys on roster making it less appealing). 

I did hear he didn’t like being used as a Switz army type player and that being part of reason wanting to leave. I agree though, having a top tier athlete operating as the slot corner in the box sounds extremely appealing. 

There will be no shortage of suitors. I’m hopeful with today’s athlete, the Bama connection is a driving force to him putting Skins atop the list of destination spots Heaney willing to play at. Today’s player takes pride in controlling their narrative... we’ll see. 

I think the Dolphins took the swiss army part too far with playing him at LB in that mix.  And according to some close to him (from what I've read), he didn't like that they wouldn't give him a heads up as for where he'd play this season.   That kept that too vague for his taste.  Ditto I gather he doesn't like that they are on a track for some serious losing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ditto I gather he doesn't like that they are on a track for some serious losing. 

And right there my hopes of him coming here drained away :806:

• Haha 2

No brainer, Trent out, Minkah in, plus we net picks. Need a third team involved though. Phins don't want Trent, they want picks.

Get it done. The Bama boys will convince him to come. 

Not getting my hopes up.  We don't have a second rounder, and I doubt Bruce is moving off his current position with Trent.  Besides, I'm more than confident that our defensive scheme would contribute to him not playing well here.  We made Clinton-Dix look like a C level player in no time flat.  

4 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

the large majority of reports i'm seeing have Minkah to the Eagles.... man, that would just suck, that's all I can say

Anywhere but the eagles please..and dallas.....aaaand ny lol

Don't trade any picks. We're gonna suck for a couple of years and if we really blow next year and potentially have the first overall in the Trevor Lawrence draft, that pick is gonna be worth a king's ransom. 

Just now, PartyPosse said:

Don't trade any picks. We're gonna suck for a couple of years and if we really blow next year and potentially have the first overall in the Trevor Lawrence draft, that pick is gonna be worth a king's ransom. 

To hell with that... if we were that lucky, i'd be saying Dwayne who??? and welcome Mr. Lawrence...

• Thanks 1

Just now, PartyPosse said:

I like Haskins' prospects and all, but if Trevor Lawrence fell into our laps I think we'd have to take him and trade Haskins.  And really if the Skins are bad enough to get the #1 overall pick in 2021 it probably means either Haskins sucks or he's injured.  Lawrence is Peyton Manning/Luck level good.  But that's a different topic for another time if it were to happen.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

I think that is Miami's game already. 

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Well we need a body who can be reliable and start early.  If he ends up being elite, so much the better.

I'm of a mind that the price of left tackles is a market inefficiency and psychologically inflated.  The opposition's on field value isn't actually much higher than guard.  Shotgun heavy personnel have drastically decreased the difficulty of their protection assignments and it's easier to cover a tackle up with a tight end than a guard up with a running back.  And the rise of A and B gap rushers coupled with the fact that pocket passers can't operate at all against interior pressure unlike their ability to cut off rush angles with disciplined movement and negate the edge rush has made guard play more valuable.  Which is why I'm good with keeping Scherff no matter the price.

OTs really distinguish themselves in the run game IMO, and getting a real ass kicker at tackle would be awesome.  But I think we can thrive with just a reliable body, especially if we keep Scherff, get a good LG and/or tight end(s).  However, we're still going to have to draft such a player.

Agree to a point. Though I would still say that having a stud at one tackle spot allows you to help out both guards and the other tackle by sliding protection away from your stud  without the need to tie up an additional eligible receiver be that a TE or a RB.

Andrew Thomas from Georgia is someone I would be keeping a close eye on this College season. He can play LT and RT.

Just now, MartinC said:

Agree to a point. Though I would still say that having a stud at one tackle spot allows you to help out both guards and the other tackle by sliding protection away from your stud  without the need to tie up an additional eligible receiver be that a TE or a RB.

Andrew Thomas from Georgia is someone I would be keeping a close eye on this College season. He can play LT and RT.

I'm all in on Wirfs from Iowa

The FO picking Allen was obvious once he dropped. So was Anderson in the second round. So was picking Payne. So was getting Collins in FA.

Only one way this is going, especially with a bus load of negative **** going down.....

• Like 1