• Blog Entries

• By TK in ES Coverage
      In today's Divisional Debacle, the Defense under Greg Manusky in the first half, gave up 207 yards of offense (105 rushing/102 passing) and two touchdowns.  That said, they did manage a single INT on which the Offense actually managed to score a touchdown off of. They allowed 12 of 16 passes to be completed . 

In the second half it was 107 yards given up (58 rushing//49 passing) a field goal and a touchdown. They traded their first half pick for a second half sack. However, Dallas completed all five of their pass attempts. 

Don't read that thinking "Well it seems like they tightened up some in the 2nd half."  They didn't. They simply had about half the plays in the second half. 30 plays in the First and 18 in the Second.

So far in two Divisional matchups, the Defense has faltered in the Second half. They start out like a house of fire for the first few drives until their opponents gradually make adjustments. This Defensive coaching staff fails make any adjustments, whether in game or at the very least at Halftime. They've given up over 30 points per game for a total of 63 points given up in two games. While the Bears are up next, the Pats await and they've put up over 70 points in two games. Yeah. Ok. They did shut out the Dolphins today which is looking like the NFL version of ... ahem... shooting fish in a barrel. 

The frustrating thing is Manusky is the DC that the Front Office actively looked to replace during the off season without firing him. When you know they're looking to replace you, most people would make a concentrated effort to show an improvement. Yet Manusky's Defense still keeps acting like it's starring in Groundhog Day.

In his post game presser, when asked directly about if any coaching changes would be made, Gruden said "No, I think after two games – you’re talking about playing two very good offensive football teams and two of the best offensive lines in pro football we just played back-to-back. That’s no excuse whatsoever, but I don’t think we need to hit the panic button yet. We just have to continue to focus on what we can do better to win. Get Jonathan [Allen] in here, get a couple of our corners back in here and let’s go back and strap it up against Chicago [Bears] next week and see what happens.” 

Here's another frustrating thing. The defensive communication was an issue last season as well. Wasn't this supposed to have been worked on during OTA's and Training Camp? It's understandable that the rookies would still be on a learning curve, but NFL vets like Collins and DRC you'd think they would have down by the start of the season. 

Gruden said they're a very talented group on Defense but that they weren't reaching them. When questioned as to why the coaching staff that has been in place for several years, wasn't reaching them, he defended the comment as them being a young defense. “We have some moving parts now. Landon Collins is a veteran guy but this is his first year, [Montez] Sweat’s in his first year, [Cole] Holcomb, it’s his first year, [Jon] Bostic is in his first year. We’re playing Dominique [Rodgers-Cromartie] at corner and this is Jimmy Moreland’s first year, so it’s not like we are the most experienced group. We feel like were very talented, but we`re still fighting through somethings. There are a lot of things to look forward to, without a doubt, but we do have to play better and strap it up and get back to work."

Riggo-toni

The 2019 Free Agency Tracker -Added: Landon Collins, Rodgers-Cromartie, Donald Penn, Flowers, Smallwood. Lost:Preston Smith, Nsekhe, Crowder, HaHa

On 8/5/2019 at 10:06 PM, Ghedrick said:

Who cares Dallas is nothing without Zeke.If Zeke is not suited up Dallas has no shot.

I feel like that’s the same thing that was said prior to the redskins @ Cowboys TNF game when Zeke was suspended, and look what Morris did to us in that game 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Swiss Army Kniles will always be in my heart as that receiver who was wide open but still needed to fall and roll roll into the endzone.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000099331/RG3-to-Paul-29-yard-TD

Pretty good on Special Teams, too.

Maybe the "roll" was instinctive because he had a history of catching on fire.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

I like what the skins are doing at the lb position and that's a little scary to say when they cut one of their leading tacklers over the last couple seasons at the position. 

I think they realized that our lb corp was too much of a liability, mainly due to speed, which limited our defensive options and made the defense vulnerable. 

It seems like a unified vison to value athleticism at the lb position. With the above average line in front to block lanes and make plays, it's the right choice to put some athleticism back there for quick cleanup and better coverage ability along with the occasional blitz.

One of those guys is gonna be a weapon. My bet is on Holcomb but Johnson isn't a bad pickup. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 4:11 AM, sportjunkie07 said:

One of those guys is gonna be a weapon. My bet is on Holcomb but Johnson isn't a bad pickup. 

I like the depth on both the inside and the outside. Outside depth we got Smith, Brailford, McKinzy, in no particular order.

"Going deep" on the depth chart is a smart way to go.

On 8/7/2019 at 5:23 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Niles Paul has retired.

He was always an in between player but I remember one year where it really came together and he was making plays downfield. then I think it was the  Cousins Monday night meltdown against the Giants where he took a brutal shot, was out for a long time, and never regained that form.

• Like 1

Josh Jones is getting cut by Green Bay.  He was a 2nd round pick in 2017 out of nc state.  His write up on ourlads is very enticing, although I'm sure it was done during the 2017 draft process:

Top tier triangle numbers. Fast, explosive, rangy safety who has an ability to get to the action and finish. Excellent last line of defense type defender. Sure tackler who can be relied upon in space. 

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/player/30465/

Sounds like a great complement to Collins.  Even this Packers site didn't seem too down on Jones after his first two years:

Providing competition for Savage will be third-year safety Josh Jones, drafted in the second round two years ago. Jones still has the potential to become a very good player in the NFL, but so far things haven’t worked out as the Packers had hoped. With the additions made at safety, it’ll be interesting where Pettine uses Jones the most — will he spend more time at linebacker?

An excellent athlete who adds speed to the defense (4.41 second 40-yard dash), Jones can still find an important role on defense moving forward. This is a big season for the second-round pick.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lombardiave.com/2019/05/09/green-bay-packers-2019-post-draft-review-safety/amp/

I know gb added Savage and Amos this offseason, maybe they cut the cord too quick with Jones?  I would assume he is a better player than apke as we stand today.   Bring him in!!

• Like 1

I'm sure it's just the die hard pessimist in me but whenever a player gets released prior to cutdown day I assume he must be garbage if he can't even make it to final cuts.

Probably a false assumption, could just be they want to give him the best chance of catching on somewhere else but it's never a good sign.

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I'm sure it's just the die hard pessimist in me but whenever a player gets released prior to cutdown day I assume he must be garbage if he can't even make it to final cuts.

Probably a false assumption, could just be they want to give him the best chance of catching on somewhere else but it's never a good sign.

They don't really have a final cuts anymore, they did away with the gradual weekly cuts a couple years ago.  Now you just have to have your final 53 by Aug 31st.  But maybe they are cutting him a week in advance to do him a solid bc they know he will have suitors?

But I hear ya, every name that comes across the board is gonna have something wrong with it.  But with some of our holes, some of these guys could be upgrades for us, and at least plug a hole in the short term.  

Josh Jones is intriguing, 24 year olds with those intangibles, on a rookie contract, don't get cut very often after only a couple of years to show what he can do.  Maybe it's bc of the new additions squeezing him out.  I know he requested a trade after those additions, maybe they didn't think he was good enough to justify a potential headache.  Maybe behind the scenes his approach isn't what it needs to be?  Who knows?  Worth a look tho.  Come on brucey boy, bring him in.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Maurice Harris is available again.

Edited by JaxJoe

10 hours ago, redskinss said:

For some reason Josh Jones had requested a trade from the Packers. They cut him, maybe after failing to move him? Who knows. Speculation I've seen from Packers fans is that they thought he was best in more of that Ram's dime linebacker Mark Barron role, or Bucannon's moneybacker role with the Cards. And he didn't want to play that spot, he wanted to stay a true safety. 

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

I’d take a look although we’ve been stung before being enticed by Packer Safeties.

Agreed, so would i

13 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Maurice Harris is available again.

Seems he's not the next Randy Moss after all.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

For some reason Josh Jones had requested a trade from the Packers. 

I think he was mad because Green Bay signed Adrian Amos early in free agency then spent their first round pick on safety Darnell savage, so he felt disrespected I guess.  

I was reading how Green Bay used him at both safety spots and dime linebacker.  Versatile and athletic, although performance wasn't too great his first two years, maybe there is more to it behind the scenes.

Josh Jones went unclaimed via waivers, meaning he is free to sign with any team.  I'm surprised he went unclaimed, his cap hit for the new team would be less than a mil in 2019, and the team could cut him before the opener with no dead cap.  His 2019 would become guaranteed on opening day, but after this season team could cut him with no future cap hit, as green bay absorbed the accelerated cap hit from his signing bonus when they cut him.  

He must have attitude or work ethic issues, someone this athletic and versatile should be coveted.  I'm sure asking for a trade after only two years probably doesnt make him look all that great.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/25/2019 at 11:52 AM, redskinss said:

The early cut is to do a player a favor so he has a leg up on getting picked up by another team.  In other words these are better players  than most that will be a final cut.

Edited by nonniey