Riggo-toni

The 2019 Free Agency Tracker -Added: Landon Collins, Rodgers-Cromartie, Donald Penn, Flowers, Smallwood. Lost:Preston Smith, Nsekhe, Crowder, HaHa

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Players salaries are sky rocketing.  I think we're in for a long battle between owners and players after the 2020 season.  Enjoy the NFL for the next couple of years. 

 

Most fans havn't enjoyed the NFL the last 20 years.

Skins have been either average or below average, and most fans are tired of seeing the Pats become champions.

So going without football might be a relief for many, since it's not like it's been lots of fun lately.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I'm hearing, are they actually thinking of letting Scherff walk, because they can get decent guards cheaper and in later rounds ?

If that's the case, then I think you still have to sign him to an extension so you can trade him, because you don't want a 1st Round pick who turned

out to be highly productive just walk, with nothing more than a "compensatory pick" in return.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the thing about the whole let scherff walk argument that bugs me.

 

We drafted an offensive lineman in the top 5 and caught hell for it but it worked, he turned into a pro bowl lineman.

 

If we let him walk you gotta ask yourself again, why the hell did we even bother.

 

We should have just taken a chance on a player who plays a position that we would re-sign if said player turns into a pro bowler.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, redskinss said:

That's the thing about the whole let scherff walk argument that bugs me.

 

We drafted an offensive lineman in the top 5 and caught hell for it but it worked, he turned into a pro bowl lineman.

 

If we let him walk you gotta ask yourself again, why the hell did we even bother.

 

We should have just taken a chance on a player who plays a position that we would re-sign if said player turns into a pro bowler.

not sure what your point is... 

1. we drafted a player in the top 5 to play tackle(way too high).. but he ended up a very good guard. Yes, Skins should have drafted a more impact position but here we are

2. He gave us 4 good years and now wants to be paid at a top guard in the league.

3. If skins where a guard away from going deep in to the playoffs - fine pay him, but we're nowhere close. By the time we are in a position to compete he will be at the back end of his 2nd contract.

 

I am all for keeping him if Skins can get rid of Moses. but paying 3 players on the OL in the top 3 for their position and still not being able to RP or PP all that well .. doesn't make any sense. Team has too many holes to commit that much money to an O line, money that should be used for other position while we are stuck with Alex Smiths contract 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, oraphus said:

not sure what your point is... 

I don't really know how to illustrate it I guess.

My point is that if you aren't going to re-sign a pro bowl player at a position of massive weakness then we really never should have drafted him in the first place. 

 

And I'm not going to get into the debate about whether he was drafted as a tackle or guard its immaterial at this point, he's a pro bowl guard and we are sorely lacking at the position. 

 

I'm not saying I'm for giving him 15 million a year, I'm torn on whether it's a good decision or not, I'm just saying that it's really admitting that it was a dumb decision to draft him.

 

What if he had worked out at right tackle and moses had worked out at guard and we had still given moses the contract he received but at guard instead. 

 

Wouldn't we be having the same exact discussion about how we can get a guy in the middle rounds ( like we did with moses) to play right tackle and that it's not worth it to pay scherff so much of our cap?

 

Its become debatable as to whether or not the right tackle position is even worth more than guard nowadays. 

 

Bottom line is if we dont re-sign scherff there's absolutely no debating that it was really stupid to draft him and not because he busted but because we are admitting that it was too high to draft anything but a left tackle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scherff was a good pick regardless. It was reported that we tried to trade back, but there were no takers. So we picked the best OL in the draft. Have people taken the time to look at how the players selected after him have fared in the league?

 

L Williams - hasn’t exactly been setting the league on fire like many expected.  He has 7 sacks and 89 tackles in the last two years, in 32 games.  Jonathan Allen, who plays the same position, has 9 sacks and 71 tackles in 21 games. 

 

Kevin White - Bust

 

Vic Beasley - Started off hot with a lot of clean up sacks, but has been pretty bad since, especially against the run

 

Ereck Flowers - Lol

 

Todd Gurley - if healthy, he probably should have been the pick. But he was coming off a torn ACL, so I could see why we didn’t pull the trigger at 5. And it’s been reported he may have arthritis in that same knee, which explains his lack of usage in the playoffs last year. It seems like a lingering issue, and it came the year after they just gave him a massive record-setting RB contract. We may have come out ahead here by not drafting him. 

 

Trae Waynes - JAG

 

Danny Shelton - just signed a contract with the Patriots for $750k guaranteed lol

 

Andreus Peat - good pick, but a guard.  Scherff is better. 

 

Devante Parker - bust. Doctson before Doctson was a thing

 

Melvin Gordon - Good RB, but RBs are more devalued even more than guards so would be hypocritical to think we should have picked him

 

The picks after that are either mostly busts or players that had no chance of going top 10. 

 

I think Scherff was the right pick. I don’t think we draft Allen if we take L Williams. And I don’t think we have a good RG if we don’t take Scherff. 

 

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm fine with the Scherff pick and I'm also fine letting him walk. I'd like to see us franchise him in 2020 to provide continuity, then re-evaluate. Maybe by then, we've got a couple young guys who can play.

Edited by Stadium-Armory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Scherff was a good pick regardless. It was reported that we tried to trade back, but there were no takers. So we picked the best OL in the draft. Have people taken the time to look at how the players selected after him have fared in the league?

 

L Williams - hasn’t exactly been setting the league on fire like many expected.  He has 7 sacks and 89 tackles in the last two years, in 32 games.  Jonathan Allen, who plays the same position, has 9 sacks and 71 tackles in 21 games. 

 

Kevin White - Bust

 

Vic Beasley - Started off hot with a lot of clean up sacks, but has been pretty bad since, especially against the run

 

Ereck Flowers - Lol

 

Todd Gurley - if healthy, he probably should have been the pick. But he was coming off a torn ACL, so I could see why we didn’t pull the trigger at 5. And it’s been reported he may have arthritis in that same knee, which explains his lack of usage in the playoffs last year. It seems like a lingering issue, and it came the year after they just gave him a massive record-setting RB contract. We may have come out ahead here by not drafting him. 

 

Trae Waynes - JAG

 

Danny Shelton - just signed a contract with the Patriots for $750k guaranteed lol

 

Andreus Peat - good pick, but a guard.  Scherff is better. 

 

Devante Parker - bust. Doctson before Doctson was a thing

 

Melvin Gordon - Good RB, but RBs are more devalued even more than guards so would be hypocritical to think we should have picked him

 

The picks after that are either mostly busts or players that had no chance of going top 10. 

 

I think Scherff was the right pick. I don’t think we draft Allen if we take L Williams. And I don’t think we have a good RG if we don’t take Scherff. 

 

 

 

Oh yea I remember, majority of Skins fans were livid we took Scherff over Williams.

Good illustration.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you pay Scherff and get it done if he’s willing to accept a market deal. He’s been stellar and is one of the best G in the league. It is what it is, the cap continues to rise and will further when new TV money and possible gambling money are in play. Don’t get thrifty on guys who have brought the goods, week in week out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I think you pay Scherff and get it done if he’s willing to accept a market deal. He’s been stellar and is one of the best G in the league. It is what it is, the cap continues to rise and will further when new TV money and possible gambling money are in play. Don’t get thrifty on guys who have brought the goods, week in week out.

I tend to lean this way.

You draft a guy who becomes a stud you find a way to pay him.

What if he goes to the giants or eagles?

Now we just got stabbed with a double edged sword.

Riskier to let him walk than it is to sign him to a contract that hampers us on the cap.

 

When our plethora of defensive line talent comes up for new contracts that's when we should figure out who to keep and who to let walk not when our only decent guard on the roster is up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I think you pay Scherff and get it done if he’s willing to accept a market deal. He’s been stellar and is one of the best G in the league. It is what it is, the cap continues to rise and will further when new TV money and possible gambling money are in play. Don’t get thrifty on guys who have brought the goods, week in week out.

If you let him walk who becomes his replacement?  Please don't say one of the rookies because they're not proven top 5 talent and who is to say they're even any good? It's utterly ridiculous some of ya'll are okay with this dude leaving!  This team isn't good enough losing top tier talent. Find a way damnit!

 

PS. This is not geared towards you Coyboy-Killa

 

Hail Em Up!

Edited by arftech
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anthony Davis has come out of Retirement and the 49'rs have released him, get him in for a tryout to see if he's got anything left in the tank, can't do any harm. 

 

HTTR 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Anthony Davis has come out of Retirement and the 49'rs have released him, get him in for a tryout to see if he's got anything left in the tank, can't do any harm. 

 

HTTR 

He's trying to beat Brett Favre's record for most retirements in a career. Pass.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It doesn't make sense to pick in the first round in hopes that he develops into a "Medium" player unworthy of an upper echelon salary.  Scherff was a great pick that is becoming what we hoped he would. Come to terms and lets keep this thing rolling.

Edited by bowhunter
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Smith and Norman next season are likely off the roster providing significant cap relief and most likely a rookie salary QB as your franchise QB. Skins can be creative with paying Scherff top G money and minimize the % of cap hit for each season. 

 

I have no issue with Skins remaining patient and making sure he gets through part or all of camp healthy before providing a historic type G deal. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Anthony Davis has come out of Retirement and the 49'rs have released him, get him in for a tryout to see if he's got anything left in the tank, can't do any harm. 

 

HTTR 

 

I agree, well worth a try out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, wit33 said:

Smith and Norman next season are likely off the roster providing significant cap relief and most likely a rookie salary QB as your franchise QB. Skins can be creative with paying Scherff top G money and minimize the % of cap hit for each season. 

 

I have no issue with Skins remaining patient and making sure he gets through part or all of camp healthy before providing a historic type G deal. 

 

Norman would save money but Alex still has a big cap hit in 2020.  Bruce's hallmark with contracts is he doesn't like going beyond 2 years in guaranteed money-- he made an exception on that point for Norman and Alex. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Norman would save money but Alex still has a big cap hit in 2020.  Bruce's hallmark with contracts is he doesn't like going beyond 2 years in guaranteed money-- he made an exception on that point for Norman and Alex. 

 

Didn’t bother to check up (debating is sometimes more enjoyable this way lol), but I believe Alex’s cap hit is 10mil next year if released. Combine this with Haskins on a rookie deal and you got some savings compared to this year. And obviously in 2021 both are off books, providing the team flexibility in both years to pay a G crazy money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

This grand plan to not overspend on a QB sure has been expensive as a mother****er

 

Ain’t that the truth. Unfortunate to say the least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, wit33 said:

 

Didn’t bother to check up (debating is sometimes more enjoyable this way lol), but I believe Alex’s cap hit is 10mil next year if released. Combine this with Haskins on a rookie deal and you got some savings compared to this year. And obviously in 2021 both are off books, providing the team flexibility in both years to pay a G crazy money. 

 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2818019-the-94-million-question-can-washington-replace-alex-smith-in-free-agency

According to Spotrac, Smith's deal counts $20.4 million against the salary cap in 2019 and $21.4 million against the cap in 2020. If the Redskins were to cut bait on Smith prior to the 2021 season, the cap hit would be so staggering that it's simply not an option. Per Jason Fitzgerald of Over the Cap, the $12 million insurance policy the team took out on Smith could offer some relief down the road, but that relief probably wouldn't come in 2019.

That puts the Redskins between a rock and a hard place.

 

 

smithcontract.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Skinsinparadise

 

Thanks. Got years 2 and 3 jumbled together and incorrect.

 

How does the insurance policy work for Skins and cap savings potentially?

 

That makes it a bit more difficult to sign Scherff under my original premise. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The entire Alex Smith singing was a bad idea from the start. Trading a decent draft pick and a young corner for an aging QB who was never really that good but the kicker was giving him a new expensive contract. Made no sense then and it is even worse now due to his injury. Just a bunch of idiots who thought we were 'close'. Should have just started McCoy instead of being stuck with this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, wit33 said:

@Skinsinparadise

 

Thanks. Got years 2 and 3 jumbled together and incorrect.

 

How does the insurance policy work for Skins and cap savings potentially?

 

That makes it a bit more difficult to sign Scherff under my original premise. 

 

Not sure about the insurance.  I recall Sheehan talking about it on a podcast eons ago and if I understood the Redskins have to prove that Alex can't play and by extension fulfill his contract and once they can do it -- then it kicks in.  But I could be wrong.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now