Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

What are you talking about? Who am I suggesting we 'restructure'? Or are you suggesting we should pay Norman 15mil or so next year, or that we shouldn't extend Scherff? Or that we shouldn't cut Davis to save 5mil. Or that expending over 16mil in cap space on an average TE crop that can't block is ok. Because to change any of that is 'wrong'.

You said no money and that is wrong. Plain and simple. Your original statement was exaggerated for effect. We don't need to do a bunch of anything. We could make one or two justified moves from both a football and cap management perspective without compromise.

I know from past experience that you aren't interested in moving from your original statement under discussion though, so I'm sure you are correct, we have no money :nono:

You mentioned Trent W and R Kerrigan. So if you are not restructuring then you are releasing them? Since you were not clear so I did assume you meant restructure to star with. More importantly, I did not see this comment when I responded with my last response - was playing golf and reading at the same time - a bit slow out there.

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I haven't suggested we should do that. Release someone on an overinflated deal yes, ask someone to renegotiate down their terms to match their value/production, but not to restructure money out simply to facilitate another FA move. I don't promote that either.

You originally stated we have 'no money' left. I just don't think that is true. If the Jets hadn't pushed the boundary too far, we'd have CJ Mosley on board.

A long term deal for Scherff will create circa 4mil in cap space this year alone. There really are numerous ways to debunk the notion we have 'no money' left.

Plus we have an expired CBA on the horizon. I will leave it at that.

So fair enough you are suggesting they could release those players to get there. And that is possible. I even suggested it if we did not go for a QB at 15 in this draft. But if you are getting a lot of money to sign Wagner, I go back to you are doing so because you think he is one of the very few pieces left. Releasing two starters to get there only opens other holes to fill. I just do not think that's smart. 

And you are right had I just said they have no money and left it that I would agree. I did explain with more detail that when I said no money it as not literal. If you still want to take it that way, that's up to you. But I thought I made it pretty clear from the beginning I did not mean it literally. Of course they have some money. My point was that to me they in effect do not have any money - certainly not enough to sign Wagner without putting themselves in a long term bind. 

The expired CBA was not our friend before. I am pretty sure there will be even more scrutiny on the Redskins. If you are thinking they negotiate for a higher CAP, I do not see that happening. But who knows. 

I just do not think it's smart for them to pursue Wagner considering the type of money he wants and where the Redskins are in terms of CAP considering he is a short term solution to a long term problem. 

Teams in need of a starting tight end should be intrigued. While Rudolph, 29, isn't as dominant as the league's top-tier tight ends (he's no Travis Kelce or Zach Ertz), he does offers capable hands and solid blocking. Over the past four years, he's played in all 64 possible games and averaged 63.3 receptions, 625.2 yards, and six touchdowns per season. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/six-possible-kyle-rudolph-landing-spots-after-vikings-reportedly-fielded-interest-for-tight-end-during-draft/amp/

Rudolph is intriguing bc he is durable and would be the most well rounded tight end on our roster if we acquired him.  A tight end who doesn't tell which play we are running would be nice, especially for a rookie QB (but who knows, the tight end may be less prevalent in our new offense). I know he is already 29, but article says mid to late gets it done, I'd trade a 5th and cut Davis to make it work under the cap and walk away feeling great.

11 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Trade a 5th on a Mediocre TE in the final year of his contract? Not a chance 

I would say he is better than mediocre, being a reliable red zone target over the years.  I would rather have Rudolph over Reed solely due to dependability (and I also like how Rudolph can actually block).  

Reed is a nice threat when he is on the field, but considering his injury history and the fact that he is getting older, maybe it would be wise to trade him for a pick.  I wonder what his market is?  Could we get a 6th for him?  Getting a comparable pick for Reed that we give up for Rudolph would negate the loss of a draft pick, and I think we will have improved our TE position.  With Reed coming off the books, the 6 mil in space that is freed up will help lessen the impact of the 7.625 hit for Rudolph.  We could even keep Davis to back up for the short term.  

Even if Rudolph wasn't extended, I think that would be a series of moves worth making, but I would also hope the skins would have an extension agreed upon with Rudolph before they pull the trigger.  Rudolph has a few more serviceable years left, and a veteran, durable tight end could help Haskins, and it also buys the skins a couple more years to draft his replacement.  

I think this is something they should look into.

13 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Teams in need of a starting tight end should be intrigued. While Rudolph, 29, isn't as dominant as the league's top-tier tight ends (he's no Travis Kelce or Zach Ertz), he does offers capable hands and solid blocking. Over the past four years, he's played in all 64 possible games and averaged 63.3 receptions, 625.2 yards, and six touchdowns per season. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/six-possible-kyle-rudolph-landing-spots-after-vikings-reportedly-fielded-interest-for-tight-end-during-draft/amp/

Rudolph is intriguing bc he is durable and would be the most well rounded tight end on our roster if we acquired him.  A tight end who doesn't tell which play we are running would be nice, especially for a rookie QB (but who knows, the tight end may be less prevalent in our new offense). I know he is already 29, but article says mid to late gets it done, I'd trade a 5th and cut Davis to make it work under the cap and walk away feeling great.

The issue we'll have with Rudolph is his cost. He's currently the 9th most expensive TE and his cap hit is $7,625,000. He'll be a FA after this season, so he'd be a one year rental. I see why the Vikings want to make the move because they have ~$1.4M in cap space and would get all of Rudolph's cap number back. 

If we made this move we'd have the #3 (Reed), #9 (Rudolph) and #18 (Davis) most expensive TEs in the league. I'd be okay with the move if we followed this by cutting Reed. Rudolph has a lower ceiling as a pass catcher, but he's a better blocker and has played in every game of the last 4 seasons. 

Looking back on it that Reed contract isn't the same dollar value as Alex Smith's, but has the same amount of value created. the OP mentioned cutting Davis, but I'd argue he's not only worth his contract (often is our starting TE), but also at his age has comparable upside to Reed. 

We're not competing for the SB this season. If we want Rudolph then wait to see if he'll become a FA after the year. If he signs an extension with whomever he plays for this season then no big loss. I still expect big things from Sprinkle and if not i'd look at someone like Jacob Breeland in the 2020 draft.

We already have the most cap of any team in 2019 allocated to the TE position. 

I would trade for Rudolph though and then extend him. Cut Davis, saves 5mil in cap OR offer him a reduced salary contract to stay in 2019. Second option is Gresham for me.

Patriots will likely trade for Rudolph.

8 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

We're not competing for the SB this season. If we want Rudolph then wait to see if he'll become a FA after the year. If he signs an extension with whomever he plays for this season then no big loss. I still expect big things from Sprinkle and if not i'd look at someone like Jacob Breeland in the 2020 draft.

Yes the Redskins are..there most certainly competing for the superbowl.of course gruden and d Williams is aiming for a Superbowl..isn't every team?..isn't this what it's all about?..stay injury free on the o line and Guice n Peterson have a fantastic season and oh of course #toptendefense.. every team every year #superbowlorbust.

Reed is garbage. Even when he actually does play, he only does half his job. I'd love to see him gone. If we could get either of those TEs and move on from Reed, wed be a better team. That said, if we did dump Reed, I'd home it was out of conference, because he is one hell of a receiver. 

52 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Reed is garbage. Even when he actually does play, he only does half his job. I'd love to see him gone. If we could get either of those TEs and move on from Reed, wed be a better team. That said, if we did dump Reed, I'd home it was out of conference, because he is one hell of a receiver. 

Even when “healthy”at this point, he seems to have lost a step.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I mean, i don't understand why he isn't lined up at receiver more often...He runs routes like a receiver...blocks like a receiver...if it quacks like a duck yada yada...the guy is a large slot receiver...

Would expect us to be sniffing around other teams roster cuts over the coming few weeks. Really want something at FS.

Was just reading about Joshua Garnett, former first rounder in SF who is all but done there. Didn't exercise his 5th year option. Don't get me wrong, he's done nothing at all there, but for an OG, he is the kind of player I could see ending up here. Nothing like a former first round reclamation project.

4 hours ago, dballer said:

I mean, i don't understand why he isn't lined up at receiver more often...He runs routes like a receiver...blocks like a receiver...if it quacks like a duck yada yada...the guy is a large slot receiver...

How a scheme can’t be developed to put Reed in advantageous blocking situations is mind boggling. We seem to be a team still stuck in assigning players positions and not wavering from it. Not unlike how the NBA was 10 years ago with positions. NFL is getting there, some teams ahead of others. 

8 minutes ago, wit33 said:

How a scheme can’t be developed to put Reed in advantageous blocking situations is mind boggling. We seem to be a team still stuck in assigning players positions and not wavering from it. Not unlike how the NBA was 10 years ago with positions. NFL is getting there, some teams ahead of others. 

Reed doesn't even attempt to be in the way, let alone block.

I read on twitter that the Seahawks released Kam Chancellor and Doug Baldwin today with failed physical designations. Didn’t kam retire last year though? At least that’s what people were saying in the comments...

would Doug Baldwin be good to try to sign though? 

6 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I read on twitter that the Seahawks released Kam Chancellor and Doug Baldwin today with failed physical designations. Didn’t kam retire last year though? At least that’s what people were saying in the comments...

would Doug Baldwin be good to try to sign though? 

His career is likely over.

Archived