Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

Scherff is still on the agenda according to all of the beat guys.  The most probable scenario is his deal gets looked at in May once the draft is in the books as the negotiating period runs through July.  The Skins probably want to see who they get in the draft and get them slotted and see how the trade and secondary free agent market plays out post draft.  There is usually roster movement depending on how a teams draft board plays out and it is one area we have been active in past years.  Once the roster for training camp is pretty much set the team can then use that time to address extensions and renegotiations with players already under contract.

8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

There's gonna be heavy competition for that spot.

Just like there was at the LG position last TC.

Absolutely.

We got that barn burner competition that tore the roof off of FedEx Field (proverbial roof). 

Lauvao vs. Kalis vs. Bergstrom vs. Catalina was one for the ages.

And then Jonathan Cooper, who was on his couch, swooped in and overtook the job.

That position was locked down.

Hypothetical - What would you give up for AJ Green? 

He's 31 , been oft injured the last 2 years, in his last year of contract and Bengals would take a $3 mil cap hit but save $12 mil with a June cut.

https://twitter.com/incarceratedbob/status/1105928352748236801

Rumors: AJ Green 🌬️🌬️🌬️ trade chatter starting to filter out into the air Something to watch for later date 👀#NFL #Bengals

Green would be a huge improvement on any WR we have here.. but not sure the cost of the draft pick would justify the investment for an older, injury prone WR on the decline.  maybe a 3rd rd pick but Bengals can get that by just cutting him next year so i doubt that would get it done.

Yeah, don’t like a trade for Green for us.  Of course, I’m enamored with the draft potential at this point.  

@KDawg  It was a pretty ridiculous situation at LG last year, lol.  I’d have liked adding a G in the 4th (over Apke) to compete with Kouandijo.  I will say that I liked hearing that Catalina says he feels much stronger this year.  Talked about working out alongside Scherff and how he was very motivated by him.  As long as they don’t make any assumptions about him starting, I’m looking forward to seeing how he looks this year.  

I wonder what the team is thinking of guys like Cam Sims becoming regular WRs. I remember the enthusiasm i had for Mo Harris and thinking he would become a good every down WR and I still think he has that possibility but QB changes and him getting hurt has hurt his career. But Sims was injured last year and has skills to do a lot to help our WRs. I wonder how he compares to the guys in the draft

9 minutes ago, carex said:

Not every position can have high picks at them and for the team to get good we need to be at a point where we don't need that

That is absolutely correct, to be a better team, we need to acquire better players so we don't have to spend draft picks on them. One of the positions we need to acquire a better player at is ILB.

6 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

That is absolutely correct, to be a better team, we need to acquire better players so we don't have to spend draft picks on them. One of the positions we need to acquire a better player at is ILB.

We need to spend a draft pick so we don't have to spend a draft pick

2 hours ago, carex said:

We need to spend a draft pick so we don't have to spend a draft pick

That or free agency. Regardless of where we get the ILB from, we need one either way. Same goes for QB, G, WR, OLB, etc. The discussion was never about how high a pick we need to spend on each position. Just that we need new players at them.

4 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I wonder what the team is thinking of guys like Cam Sims becoming regular WRs. I remember the enthusiasm i had for Mo Harris and thinking he would become a good every down WR and I still think he has that possibility but QB changes and him getting hurt has hurt his career. But Sims was injured last year and has skills to do a lot to help our WRs. I wonder how he compares to the guys in the draft

They like Sims a lot.  I think he takes a big step this year.

https://www.redskins.com/news/fully-healthy-wide-receiver-cam-sims-aims-to-validate-preseason-success

NFL Sundays took a toll on Redskins wide receiver Cam Sims last season. Physically, Sims suffered a high ankle sprain on the opening kickoff of the regular season opener that landed him on Injured Reserve. But that wasn't the main cause of his frustration and disappointment. In a little over a month, the undrafted free agent out of Alabama had returned to full strength.

It was the mental aspect that proved much more difficult, especially after the Redskins activated wide receiver Trey Quinn and running back Byron Marshall off IR in November, effectively ending Sims' rookie campaign. By rule, NFL teams are only allowed to activate two players off IR per season. So while Sims was healthy enough to play, he would have to wait until next fall.

"Every Sunday I would cry because I wasn't out there playing," said Sims, who estimates he watched three or four games throughout the year. "I just had to get up out of that. After I stopped crying, I was just like, 'Man, let's go. I can't do that. Let's go. Let's go do something. Let's go work.'"

Since early January, Sims has spent nearly every weekday at the Inova Sports and Performance Center at Redskins Park preparing for the upcoming season. He's out to prove that his productive preseason, during which he led the team in receiving yards, was not an aberration but rather a sign of what's to come.

"To pick up where I left off," Sims said about his expectations for this season. "Just to keep going and going. I know I had a great year last year before I got hurt, so I just want to pick up and do better than I did last year."

Sims, a 6-foot-5 outside target who signed with the Redskins on May 2, quickly earned the recognition and respect of his new coaches. He had a "tremendous" training camp according to Senior Vice President of Player Personnel Doug Williams and served as the Redskins' top receiving option during the preseason, catching five passes for 131 yards. He nearly added a touchdown, too, with his reception between two Jets defenders on Aug. 16, but the play was called back because of a penalty.

When asked about the preseason wide receiver battle, Williams said, "I think what has happened is the free agent kid from Alabama threw a hand grenade in this thing."

A four-star recruit out of Ouachita Parish High School in Louisiana, Sims rarely contributed during his time at Alabama. He caught just 41 passes for 467 yards and two touchdowns over four seasons, playing mostly in the shadow of current Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Calvin Ridley and a dominant Crimson Tide rushing attack.

Still, the Redskins saw enough potential in Sims to sign him as a free agent, and right up until the start of the season he did not disappoint.

"Well he's got the measurables," Gruden said of Sims in mid-August. "He's big, he can run, you wonder why he didn't get drafted, a guy like that. Seem him workout, seen him out there, he's an impressive guy."

Sims ended up making the 53-man roster and was on the field during the opening kickoff of the Redskins' season opener against the Arizona Cardinals on Sept. 9. But that was the extent of his NFL debut. One moment he was blocking and the next he felt somebody land on his left ankle. He had to be carted off the field with what was later diagnosed as a high ankle sprain, landing him on IR.

7 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Hypothetical - What would you give up for AJ Green? 

He's 31 , been oft injured the last 2 years, in his last year of contract and Bengals would take a $3 mil cap hit but save $12 mil with a June cut.

https://twitter.com/incarceratedbob/status/1105928352748236801

Rumors: AJ Green 🌬️🌬️🌬️ trade chatter starting to filter out into the air Something to watch for later date 👀#NFL #Bengals

Skins should do a hard pass due his injuries and his contract.  

18 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

There's gonna be heavy competition for that spot.

Just like there was at the LG position last TC.

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

Absolutely.

We got that barn burner competition that tore the roof off of FedEx Field (proverbial roof). 

Lauvao vs. Kalis vs. Bergstrom vs. Catalina was one for the ages.

And then Jonathan Cooper, who was on his couch, swooped in and overtook the job.

That position was locked down.

I began to wonder if there might be people out there who thought I was being serious.

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I began to wonder if there might be people out there who thought I was being serious.

Oh. You weren’t? I was totally serious with my post. No worries at LG. Tyler Catalina will save us. If not I’m sure there’s someone that is on shift at Wal-Mart somewhere that can fill in.

6 hours ago, oraphus said:

Green would be a huge improvement on any WR we have here.. but not sure the cost of the draft pick would justify the investment for an older, injury prone WR on the decline.  maybe a 3rd rd pick but Bengals can get that by just cutting him next year so i doubt that would get it done.

The money piece and how teams are distributing the cash owed is a new development that must be considered in all deals. Example being Skins take the cap hit and provide draft compensation. 

The Bengals save “x” amount of dollars and gain draft capital sooner, most likely a 2019 pick. Also, the risk of AJ getting injured and not receiving a deal that would guarantee a “4th round” compensatory pick the following year is a factor. 

Im 100% good with getting Green for a 3rd to 4th round pick. 

Archived