• Blog Entries

• By JimmiJo in ES Coverage
      ES Coverage Cowboys vs Redskins 2019

9/15/19

Do I look like I'm playing? I'm not playing. This is the Washington Redskins versus the Dallas Cowboys. If you are a fan of this game, and this one does not get you excited you might want to check your pulse.

Hello my friends it is I, JimmiJo, back for another year of this wonderful thing we call Redskins Football. This makes season 14 for me. I am joined by The Spaceman Spiff who will hereafter be known as "The Spaceman Spiff." 

Where's that dude that gets the big tattoos on his back? There's his next one.

So how important is this game? I don't know. What is the different between 1-1 and 0-2? The difference between batting .500 and zippy?

Throw in that this is their 2nd division game to start the year AND a home game and you have a critical match.

And once again they contend with critical injuries to start the year. Last year it was  their rookie star running back. This year its their 2nd year star...well you get the rest.  Darrius Guice is gone and not coming back this year. I think this really hurts him moving forward. Not sure who will build a scheme around him given his first two seasons.

So it is down to the veteran Adrian Peterson. I have no worries of ring rust for hum. None whatsoever. He knows what to do.

Anyway, almost time. Please share your thoughts.

Stand by...

Inactives

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 12 QB Colt McCoy
      o   No. 23 CB Quinton Dunbar
      o   No. 31 Fabian Moreau
      o   No. 64 C Ross Pierschbacher
      o   No. 67 G Wes Martin
      o   No. 86 TE Jordan Reed
      o   No. 93 DT Jonathan Allen

The Cowboys declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 10 WR Tavon Austin
      o   No. 37 S Donovan Wilson
      o   No. 57 LB Luke Gifford
      o   No. 61 C Adam Redmond
      o   No. 69 G Brandon Knight
      o   No. 79 DT Trysten Hill
      o   No. 97 DE Taco Charlton

Follow along in-game at Twitter @Skinscast 

JimmiJo

Head coach Jay Gruden said it is not time to press the panic button when asked if staff changes could occur on the defensive coaching staff. It may not be for him, but he might want to pay attention to the sounds coming from the owners suite at Redskins Park.

For example the sound of shouting and heavy objects striking walls could portend an early offseason for someone.

The Washington Redskins are now 0-2 to start the season. They are 0-2 in the division.

If that is not panic-inducing, they face a Chicago Bears football team (themselves in need of a solid win) on Monday Night Football next. A series they do not typically do well on.

In both games to open the campaign the winning teams had the game well in hand at the start of the fourth quarter, despite Washington taking leads in each of the games.

Against Dallas, the team began well again; taking a 7-0 lead into the second quarter. This was not quite the 17-0 start they had in Philadelphia. Nor did it take until halftime for the Cowboys to adjust.

It happened on Dallas’ fourth drive. Starting at their own 3-yard line at 9:44 in the 2nd period, the Cowboys employed a combination of runs up the middle and quick outs in the flats and sideline to advance the ball 97-yards in 7 plays and tie the game.

Following a three-and-out by Washington, Dallas went 74-yards on 11-plays to take the 14-7 lead at halftime.

The 3rd Quarter began with the Cowboys receiving the ball at their own 25. Nine plays  and 75-yards later they were leading 21-7.

The Redskins made it interesting with their own 11-play, 70-yard drive to cut he lead to 7.

But Dallas responded with a field goal. And would add another touchdown in the fourth quarter to extend the lead to 17.

Washington’s consolation score with just under 3-minutes remaining allowed rookie Terry McLaurin to add a touchdown to his debut season.

The Redskins have developed a reputation for not responding well to adjustments. They had little answer for the adjustments Dallas made to their offense. Ditto the game in Philadelphia.

In both, Washington had a lead to protect and could not.

Coming into the season the defense was expected to the be the strength of the team. Yet in two games they have surrendered 910 yards (445 per game) and 63 points. Not exactly setting the world on fire.

Statistically the Redskins defense are near the bottom in points allowed and yards surrendered.

The coach wants to blame injuries. Not only the their excellent young nose tackle in Jonathan Allen, but also to the secondary which has already gone significant realignment to accommodate injuries to Quinton Dunbar and Fabian Moreau.

Still, with the specter of a season going off the rails after only two games, the fans want someone to blame.

Wont be the quarterback. Case Keenum has completed 68.2 percent of his passes. He has thrown 3 touchdowns against no interceptions.
      Ditto other skill positions. Adrian Peterson did not his best outing but the team abandoned the run early. The receivers are doling their own, with guys like McLaurin shining.

And as bad as the collapse was last week and the home loss this, it feels too early to call for the head coach.

That leaves those in charge of the defense. Specifically, Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky.

Fan ire seems more and more to be falling on Manusky, if sentiment on twitter and sports radio means anything.

But they don’t decide who stays and who leaves. That is the job of the head coach who so far, is backing his guy.

But there is a higher authority at Redskins Park. Legend has it owner Daniel Snyder once put a gallon of vanilla ice cream outside a Redskins defensive coordinator’s door following a poor performance by the defense.  

Given the start to this season, Manusky could be hearing the ice cream truck in his sleep. And that would be better than what many of the fans are wishing for him.

Riggo-toni

The 2019 Free Agency Tracker -Added: Landon Collins, Rodgers-Cromartie, Donald Penn, Flowers, Smallwood. Lost:Preston Smith, Nsekhe, Crowder, HaHa

Only because Luck was injured to the point of being about a month away from retirement. Otherwise that 1-year tank worked. 

49 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Only because Luck was injured to the point of being about a month away from retirement. Otherwise that 1-year tank worked. 

And because they were saddled with a horrible GM.

Obviously everyone who wants to tank (I keep saying "accidentally tank" bc obviously Allen and Gruden aren't gonna do it on purpose, they don't have the job security or patience) expects it to result in a house cleaning of the organization, where we then hope to hire our version of Ballard or Dorsey. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Nobody should ever use the Patriots to prove a point, the Pats can do a lot of things that 31 other teams cant do.

High end WR's are a premium and much tougher to find than good offensive lineman.  You act as if Diggs is a JAG, he's as good of a WR as Scherff is a G.

Quick, name super bowl winning teams this past decade with superstar receivers!

Spoiler: its a super small list.  

Also, your pretending Diggs is a superstar, when in reality hes had 0 probowls, and one 1000 yard season in 4, where he got a bazillion and a half targets.  This compared to the 3 time pro-bowler Scherff.   Its an absolute delusion that high end WRs are harder to find, and more important than high end offensive linemen.   Which is why AB got traded for cheap, and no linemen of his level changed teams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Looks like we've continued our approach to gather compensatory picks along the way. For next years 2020 draft we are currently looking at extra picks in fourth, fifth and sixth for Crowder, Nsekhe and Clinton Dix respectively.

The Preston Smith, Landon Collins deals offset. 

May well be the case that any vets we now bring in result from cuts elsewhere as opposed to existing FA scrubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Looks like we've continued our approach to gather compensatory picks along the way. For next years 2020 draft we are currently looking at extra picks in fourth, fifth and sixth for Crowder, Nsekhe and Clinton Dix respectively.

I haven't seen what the Pats signed Harris for -- i am assuming he might apply to this?  Not sure if there is any difference with restricted FAs who weren't tendered. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't seen what the Pats signed Harris for -- i am assuming he might apply to this?  Not sure if there is any difference with restricted FAs who weren't tendered. 

I think it was a 1 year deal for $850K.  I could be wrong though.  I think the ONLY players we sign now are players that have been released/cut.  They don't affect our comp. picks.  Very transparent.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I think it was a 1 year deal for $850K.  I could be wrong though.  I think the ONLY players we sign now are players that have been released/cut.  They don't affect our comp. picks.  Very transparent.

At that price, he should be here. I realize he gained the opportunity to play with Brady. I really liked Mo

• Like 1

I like Diggs but hearing the value some believe he has I would pass. No way would I entertain trading our 1st round or Sherff for him.If that's his value we are better off without him. If are giving up our first or Sherff I would be targeting someone like Mike Evans, Julio Jones or Hopkins.Looking at the Beckham deal our 1st,3rd and the big greek who I doubt we can resign maybe a solid offer for one of these 3 if somehow their team put them on the market.If we trade our first rounder we need a legitimate number 1 wideout.I am not discounting Diggs but he is not even the best wr on his team.

10 hours ago, carex said:

tanking in the NFL hasn't actually done much of anything yet so acting like it's the answer.  Since the Colts got Luck thety had just as many average or poor years as good ones and the Browns only look like they're on the cusp of something.

Yea, I think the Browns are going to be turning a lot of heads this season.

They have competent people in the FO finally, I wish we could be that lucky.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Still don't understand the signing of Collins if that is it for class A signings. 

HTTR 

We clearly wanted Collins and Mosley. Quite a lot of overpaid crap out there, however there is a sense that we are a little short. Time yet to see what unfolds pre draft.

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

I'd go ****ing ballistic if we traded away Scherff..

That’s why only the Madden GM’s on here have even discussed it. 

48 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Yea, I think the Browns are going to be turning a lot of heads this season.

They have competent people in the FO finally, I wish we could be that lucky.

Got rid of one of the best defensive minds in the game who led the team to 7-8-1 to hire someone who has been a NFL OC for a total of eight games for HC and now “won the off-season.”

What could possibly go wrong?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Anyone who actually watched the Browns last year wouldn't even question that the offensive explosion and chemistry between Mayfield/Kitchens was the reason for the success they had. Not blowhard Greggg. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

I'd go ****ing ballistic if we traded away Scherff..

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

+1. We just can't do that...

Only way I would be OK with it is if Scherff has made it clear that he wont, under any circumstances, sign a long term deal here. Not that anything has ever come out saying that is the case. But IF he did. I would trade him and get what you can for him. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Quick, name super bowl winning teams this past decade with superstar receivers!

Spoiler: its a super small list.  

Also, your pretending Diggs is a superstar, when in reality hes had 0 probowls, and one 1000 yard season in 4, where he got a bazillion and a half targets.  This compared to the 3 time pro-bowler Scherff.   Its an absolute delusion that high end WRs are harder to find, and more important than high end offensive linemen.   Which is why AB got traded for cheap, and no linemen of his level changed teams.

I didn't say WR's are more important than offensive lineman and I didn't say Diggs is a superstar even though he is trending that way. I referred to him as a "high end" WR.

This has been posted in the forum several times and most recently in the draft thread.  You can debate me all you want but the numbers don't lie.  So the point is if you have a chance to get a guy whose lifetime catch percentage is near 70%, is 25 years old, can run any route, and can take the ball to the house from anywhere on the field, you do that when your current WR's consist of Josh Doctson, Trey Quinn, and Paul Richardson.

The first 3 rounds are where you're going to find your studs, and the discrepancy in hit percentage in those first 3 rounds is huge. 

We have average to below average WR's, I would be happy with just good WR's so whether they are future Hall of Famers or current pro bowlers doesn't matter, I'll take guys who are trending like Diggs all day.

Historic Success Chart

The numbers show us the following outline for finding consistent starters:

1st Round - OL (83%) LB (70%) TE (67%) DB (64%) QB (63%) WR (58%) RB (58%) DL (58%)

2nd Round - OL (70%) LB (55%) TE (50%) WR (49%) DB (46%) QB (27%) DL (26%) RB (25%)

3rd Round - OL (40%) TE (39%) LB (34%) DL (27%) WR (25%) DB (24%) QB (17%) RB (16%)

4th Round - DL (37%) TE (33%) OL (29%) LB (16%) WR(12%) DB (11%) RB (11%) QB (8%)

5th Round - TE (32%) DB (17%) WR (16%) OL (16%) DL (13%) RB (9%) LB (4%) QB (0%)

6th Round - TE (26%) OL (16%) DL (13%) WR (9%) DB (8%) RB (6%) LB (5%) QB (0%)

7th Round - DB (11%) OL (9%) QB (6%) WR (5%) DL (3%) LB (2%) RB (0%) TE (0%)

As you asked here's the last 10 Superbowl Champions and each had at least 1 very good WR (once again I never said "Superstar" you just made that up, every team listed below had at least one Tier 1 WR at the time they won the SB) on their team and a good complimentary WR or in the Pats case they have Gronk as the compliment.  You don't need future Hall of Famers or "Superstars" but you need quality and we have none.

NE - Julian Edelman & Gronk - Over 1500 combined receiving yards and 9 Td's
Philly - Torrey Smith & Alshon Jeffrey & Agholor - Over 1900 combined receiving yards and 19 TD's
NE - Julian Edelman  & Gronk - Over 1600 combined receiving yards and 6 TD's
Denver - Emmanuel Sanders & Demaryius Thomas  - Over 2400 combined receiving yards and 12 TD's
NE - Julian Edelman & Gronk - Over 2000 combined receiving yards and 20 TD's
Seattle - Golden Tate & Doug Baldwin - 1700 combined receiving yards and 10 TD's
Baltimore - Torrey Smith & Anquan Bolden - 1800 combined receiving yards 12 TD's
Giants - Victor Cruz & Hakeem Nicks - 2700 combined receiving yards and 16 TD's
Packers - Greg Jennings & Donald Driver & Jordy - Over 2400 combined receiving yards and 20 Td's between the 3 of them
Saints - Marques Colston & Devery Henderson - 1900 combined receiving yards and 11 TD's combined

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Only way I would be OK with it is if Scherff has made it clear that he wont, under any circumstances, sign a long term deal here. Not that anything has ever come out saying that is the case. But IF he did. I would trade him and get what you can for him. 

Totally agree here..

6 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Former Giants and Jaguars OT Ereck Flowers visiting the Redskins tonight, per Adam Schefter. 

Nooooooo!!!!!.dear God please noooo...nooooooo...NOOOOOOO!!!.. Michael Scott

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Former Giants and Jaguars OT Ereck Flowers visiting the Redskins tonight, per Adam Schefter. 

Image result for turnstile gif

Yeah, please no at tackle. Guard at low vet min..

• Haha 7

finally some news on people arriving

he could take Ty's place but I don't know if he can play guard

• Like 2