Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

54 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

We had 8 selections in last year's draft. We're no more locked for getting a guard now than we were then. Also, there's already a mega-bumload of UDFAs on the market, as there have been every year. We just don't talk about them because they suck... Like the vast majority of the UDFAs will this year as well. So again, we pass on the sloppy joes because we're expecting a 5 course meal. Then we go to the restaurant and find out there are no 5 course meals left; just garlic bread sticks that are vastly over-priced (that was the excuse last season). So we pass on them too. After the draft, there are no 5 course meals, garlic bread sticks, or sloppy joes to be had. Just moldy bread. I'm tired of moldy bread.

Mmmm sloppy Joes. Didnt Charles Mann have a commercial for sloppy joes?  I haven't had those for years. We both want the same thing but we have different views on how we will get there. We also have cap constraints and other position needs which play a role in this also. For example should we pay 3 to 4 million for a sloppy joe guard who might last half a season before getting injured or pay the same for a safety like Tre Boston.  He may not be a 5 course meal but he would be a very digestible 4 course meal. He would check off another need. Therefore narrowing your draft list for more linemen. Get the best bang for your buck so to speak. Or the least mold on your bread.

8 minutes ago, carex said:

so, does anyone know any WRs actually on the trading block?

I could see the Rams peddling Sammy Watkins. Not a Diggs type player but better than what we have. Another one of those injury prone guys though.

Oops I mean Chiefs but now there are rumours of Hill being in trouble so they might hold on to him.

1 hour ago, TK said:

For the Vikes to trade Diggs they would take a dead cap hit, that would be like Brown and the Steelers. The Vikes don't have the cap to absorb another 12 mill cap charge. 

I figured as much, though I wonder which "big" WR they could realistically be targeting.  I've seen rumors of AJ Green being on the trade block, wonder if they have inquired about him.  Not sure what his contract looks like.

1 hour ago, TK said:

For the Vikes to trade Diggs they would take a dead cap hit, that would be like Brown and the Steelers. The Vikes don't have the cap to absorb another 12 mill cap charge. 

Diggs has a current cap hit of just over 12m. if they cut him, the dead cap would be 21mil due to his already guaranteed salary in 2019 of 9mil.

But if he was traded here, and the salary came across to us, his dead cap would only be 12mil anyway, being his remaining SB brought forward from future cap years.

So in cap terms, if he's kept or traded the cap hit is likely to be the same.

Clearly if a player trade is involved, they couldn't take a major contract on from us without making a move or two.

On 3/13/2019 at 7:17 PM, RWJ said:

2.5 mill cap hit for AP this year per Jsteelz.  :)

The actual numbers on the AP deal are 2 year 5mil with 1.5mil incentives each year, which gets to the 2/8mil originally stated.

Cap hit this year is 1.8mil only, but with a potential 1.5mil in further incentives possible. Something that can be deferred until the end of this season.

14 minutes ago, dyst said:

Diggs is not tier 1, do people think he is? 

Compared to what we have now?? Yes I do. I know he's not necessarily "elite" but at least he's in the "damn good" category. , And similar to LC, I think he would actually want to be a Redskin if it happened

A name I only faintly remember,  Benson Mayora, I think it's spelled right,  NFL app has him as a top 100 FA edge guy who sometimes flashed something in  Arizona,  Chandler Jones like flash....I know I'm digging for clams in March here, but anyone have anything on him? If only for my own curiosity,  thanks

21 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Send next years 2020 4th round pick to the Browns for Ross.

I assume you mean the Bengals, unless we're talking about a different Ross or the Bengals are so bad the Browns automatically get all their picks

They need to take those superbowl odds, blow them up and put it on the wall of the locker room.

For some reason after seeing those superbowl odds my confidence has been growing. I started looking at this team in a different way. Earlier I was convinced that the skins were going nowhere in 2019.  I have slowly changed my mind and now believe this team could be one of our best in recent years, and poetically, it will be when we have been written off by the most people.

While it looks like a dumpster fire to everyone from outside, the coaches and players seem to think we are close, and I am starting to agree with them.

Here is why:

I think they see a defense that was on the verge of being very good.  They were dominating the LOS, they were stopping the run.  Its true things spiraled out of control late in season, and they got exposed, on the edge especially, but a couple changes in the right spots could make all the difference.   Since then they have brought in two, very talented, ex alabama studs, to play MLB and SS.   Now they have their guys up front and right down the middle.  

Our corners arent great, but fabian and dunbar are young and improving with even more experience now, and Norman still has the potential to make big plays when he is on his game.

The D line is all young studs who just played their first season together and will be getting even better.  they also have a wildcard in Settle that could be another huge stud added to mix.

The stage is set for the redskins to  make a huge leap on defense next year.   We have young talented players entering their prime all over the field.

The only major hole is FS, but nicholson is another young talented guy that could take over there, but they will hopefully need to pick up a vet for depth. 

If the defense improves substantially, the offense wont need to do as much and can cover some of their shortcomings at WR and OL depth.

All the offense might have to do with  a strong defense  is run the ball well and play game management type of football and they could have a hell of a running game between Guice, AP and Thompson.

Keenum  had a down year but he is not horrible. He has starting experience, and he has had some recent success. He could be more then serviceable if the defense and running game are working for us.

This is also why i really hope they draft a TE high that can block and pass, this would be the perfect upgrade for a team looking to run the ball and play clock control type of football.

This team could really surprise some people and the timing is perfect.

MY rose colored gasses are ON and I am thinking playoffs or better.

HTTR! :229:   (If I never make another post on ES I want my last one to predict wins!)

I couldn't  be happier with the way this offseason is playing out. It looks like they are making the extremely tough decision to tank the season and actually draft real superstars. Do this for a couple years and we may actually build a team that can contend. 7-9 will bring no changes.

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

I assume you mean the Bengals, unless we're talking about a different Ross or the Bengals are so bad the Browns automatically get all their picks

Yes, I did mean the Bengals.  :) 

3 minutes ago, walker77 said:

I couldn't  be happier with the way this offseason is playing out. It looks like they are making the extremely tough decision to tank the season and actually draft real superstars. Do this for a couple years and we may actually build a team that can contend. 7-9 will bring no changes.

This staff and FO have no intention of sacrificing the short term for the long term, they're fully win now. They're just incompetent at it. I agree with you though, and luckily for us they can still tank accidentally, just by sucking as much as we know they can. 

tanking in the NFL hasn't actually done much of anything yet so acting like it's the answer.  Since the Colts got Luck thety had just as many average or poor years as good ones and the Browns only look like they're on the cusp of something.

Archived