Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The talking according to some beat guys have been going on since this off season.  Though whether the talking leads to a deal -- that might not be slam dunk.

All hoops here baby they'll get it done!!

I listened to Finlay's interview with Scherff where he said "he's here for the next 2 years", what the hell does that mean?  Scherff is great but he's going to want $15M per yr and $45M fully guaranteed.

The ex-agent on Finlay's podcast made a good point that the CBA could hold up any contract renewals for the top shelf players, we'll see.

51 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Scherff could easily play this season out, then be tagged next year. That's the two years reference I think.

But on a long term deal he's getting a contract similar to Landon Collins value wise.

I get that but I was hoping he would say something like "I plan on being here and being a Redskin" or something to that effect.

It sounds like he wants to eventually hit free agency.

I'm in the "meh about Scherff" camp. He is a nice player and I want him to be here. But it would not upset me if we let him walk instead of making him the highest paid guard in the league. Also, it's possible I have no idea what I'm talking about. He just doesn't pass the eye test for me as the best guard in the league.

7 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

I'm in the "meh about Scherff" camp. He is a nice player and I want him to be here. But it would not upset me if we let him walk instead of making him the highest paid guard in the league. Also, it's possible I have no idea what I'm talking about. He just doesn't pass the eye test for me as the best guard in the league.

Yep. He’s a nice player and seems even moreso important because our roster sucked, but I haven’t been super impressed “yet” with him.

7 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

I agree....he's good but not 15M good.  However, the market increases every year and I would much rather pay him than go on another 10 year quest trying to find a decent guard.

9 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Our LG says Hi.

12 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Obviously highest paid isn’t the same as best player due to the nature of FA.  

Generally, I’m all for letting decent to good players walk and replacing them with your up-and-coming guys.  The talent pipeline.  This allows you to - afford re-signing your studs, dabble in FA, add comp picks and generally keep your team younger.  

But... I think we probably have to franchise Scherff at the minimum to buy ourselves another year to evaluate/develop Martin and Piersbacher, as well as a chance to draft a starting caliber guard.  If Piersbacher (and Roullier) are not really guard material (I don’t know), we’re also going to need depth, and finding a starter and quality depth at guard, in one offseason, ain’t gonna be easy.  

Since we also have to factor in the importance of keeping the pocket clean for Haskins, I’m leaning toward signing Scherff to a LTD versus a franchise tag.  Then we can get Smith’s contract off the books, and look for a tackle to replace Trent or Moses, reducing our cap and oline expense.  

Adding to keeping Haskins upright/buying him time to throw, we’ve got some serious running back talent we need to help out (and lean on), so starting over at RG isn’t very helpful.  

Now don't get me wrong, I’d love to be in a position to feel comfortable moving on from Scherff, I just don’t think we’re there... and aren’t likely to be at season’s end.  

Note:  I have no idea how an expiring CBA effects this decision.  

8 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Obviously highest paid isn’t the same as best player due to the nature of FA.  

Generally, I’m all for letting decent to good players walk and replacing them with your up-and-coming guys.  The talent pipeline.  This allows you to - afford re-signing your studs, dabble in FA, add comp picks and generally keep your team younger.  

I think we probably have to franchise Scherff at the minimum to buy ourselves another year to evaluate/develop Martin and Piersbacher, as well as a chance to draft a starting caliber guard.  If Piersbacher (and Roullier) are not really guard material (I don’t know), we’re also going to need depth, and finding a starter and quality depth at guard, in one offseason, ain’t gonna be easy.  

Since we also have to factor in the importance of keeping the pocket clean for Haskins, I’m leaning toward signing Scherff to a LTD versus a franchise tag.  Then we can get Smith’s contract off the books, and look for a tackle to replace Trent or Moses, reducing our cap and oline expense.  

Adding to keeping Haskins upright/buying him time to throw, we’ve got some serious running back talent we need to help out (and lean on), so starting over at RG isn’t very helpful.  

Now don't get me wrong, I’d love to be in a position to feel comfortable moving on from Scherff, I just don’t think we’re there... and aren’t likely to be at season’s end.  

Note:  I have no idea how an expiring CBA effects this decision.  

If we have to franchise Scherff it would be just one more example of Redskins Front Office incompetence. They better damn well get a deal done this year.

On 5/24/2019 at 12:16 PM, nonniey said:

If we have to franchise Scherff it would be just one more example of Redskins Front Office incompetence. They better damn well get a deal done this year.

I don't fault the FO one bit for being hesitant to sign Scherff to the richest G contract. I know that we're jaded by the last franchise tag situation, but using the tag doesn't equal incompetence. Paying a guard roughly 10% of the cap is worth mulling over. I'm all about the idea of franchising Scherff after this year and seeing if one of the young bucks develops or if a top G lands in our laps at #32 in next year's draft. 

It could not be us stalling on getting Scherff signed. With the new CBA around the corner, Scherff’s rep’s may be the ones dragging their feet. They may want to see how much more money is in the pot before settling on an acceptable number. Keep it in mind that this issue may be affecting why the deal has not been done yet.

If Martin plays well at LG... this is a basic indication that good guards can be found later in the draft and Skins should not overpay for a guard to the tune of 15mil per year especially since they are already paying Moses and Williams. In fact, i believe its reckless to pay that much to your Oline and still have it be just average. If Flowers finds a second life and also plays well at guard, i can see Skins letting Sherff go after this year.

You cant pay every good player you have and like it or not Sherff might be a salary cap casualty. He is a very good guard... but is he great? I doubt it.. our Oline still sucked with him last year. If you can get 90% of his production from a rookie guard.. its not worth signing him to an LTD

In fact, franchising him makes much more sense than an LTD. He is not a QB so loosing him to another team while getting a 3rd pick back is not a bad deal. he is a role player and does not elevate a team on his own.

1. it will cost 14mil (an ltd will cost 15mil avg per year)

2. gives the team 2 more years to find a replacement

3. they can still sign him to an ltd after franchising him if the decision is made that they have to keep him.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

CBA going to make things very interesting. Might not pay Alex Smith 71mil after all.

Players salaries are sky rocketing.  I think we're in for a long battle between owners and players after the 2020 season.  Enjoy the NFL for the next couple of years. 

Archived