Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

13 hours ago, SkinsFootball said:

Weird take on Ha-Ha. I feel like he lacks the range and isn't the ballhawk to play FS. Could he provide similar DJ production at SS or playing closer to the line..covering mainly rb/re? I want to say yes..but his tackling at times looked suspect. not sure about him...

No, he shies away from contact.... that's always been his major problem. He'd be a terrible SS and he's a middle of the pack FS.

10 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Complete pass on haha...dude is no good...our secondary took a dive when he came aboard

He didn't look good here. But, he came on mid-season and the wheels were already coming off. I'd be all about an upgrade, but I'm not sure there is going to be someone better available. 

Also, we should have benched Swearinger and fined him. We don't have enough talent to be cutting our best personnel. That's not discipline. A true disciplinarian could have sorted that situation out in a way that brought everyone in line and didn't decrease the talent level of the team. Now we are all salivaitng over signing someone else's SS, or we are going to have to invest draft capital. 

Yes...he was horrible in GB.  I couldn't believe somebody wanted him.  He has zero ball skills, plays so deep he has no effect on the play, always breaks late towards the play and most of the time goes the wrong way, and finally he can't tackle and doesn't like to hit.  Just hope he's not here next year.

13 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I hope we Sign Teddy Bridgewater...He's only 26 and has proven capable of winning games.  That takes all the pressure off HAVING to pick up a QB in the 1st round.  

also takes away the ability to sign other key free agents though.... assuming he'd cost well above what a first round QB costs straight out of the draft.

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

also takes away the ability to sign other key free agents though.... assuming he'd cost well above what a first round QB costs straight out of the draft.

But will he though? I am not for or against right now. I will say that if this keeps them from drafting a QB then I am all in. Sign the guy! Spend whatever, as long as it's a short term contract. 

He is only set to make $1.3M next year. He signed a one yr contract with the Jets before last yr. The Saints converted that all to a signing bonus essentially making it a one year contract but spreading the CAP hit out. If they can get him cheap and he keeps them from drafting someone this year, I am in. 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

But will he though? I am not for or against right now. I will say that if this keeps them from drafting a QB then I am all in. Sign the guy! Spend whatever, as long as it's a short term contract. 

He is only set to make $1.3M next year. He signed a one yr contract with the Jets before last yr. The Saints converted that all to a signing bonus essentially making it a one year contract but spreading the CAP hit out. If they can get him cheap and he keeps them from drafting someone this year, I am in. 

From all accounts and the lack of FA QB's out there, he will be looking for a fairly significant deal... Apparently, he's a hot commodity when FA begins... I do not personally believe he is worth it. He's a good Colt McCoy backup type who can win a few games if needed but shouldn't be handed starting opportunities (at least not for us for what he may cost)

2 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

From all accounts and the lack of FA QB's out there, he will be looking for a fairly significant deal... Apparently, he's a hot commodity when FA begins... I do not personally believe he is worth it. He's a good Colt McCoy backup type who can win a few games if needed but shouldn't be handed starting opportunities (at least not for us for what he may cost)

You may be right. Of all positions QB seems the most irresponsible in terms of value. So I could see him becoming hot and getting a bigger contract. But I also agree he is not worth it. My only point was that he may not be that expensive since he was not being paid much by NO and he could not even get to #2 on the depth chart.

We will see. 

I will add that personally I am Ok with them over paying him if it keeps them from drafting a early QB this year. I want the next GM/Coach to be able to pick their own guy. I doubt I will get my way. But a guy can hope. 

I've been dismissing the idea of Antonio Brown.  But at the same time, I dismissed the idea that they'd trade for Flacco -- so what do I know.  The fact that Albert Breer kicked in that the Redskins were interested in Flacco makes source #5 that they were interested so am guessing some smoke to that fire.

Bruce typically doesn't seem to like players who bring drama.  The Redskins of late seem to like their players typically on the boring side.  The drama tends to come from the front office with some exceptions.  So I'd wonder how they'd look at Antonio.    But for Antonio to go from Big Ben to Colt -- I think that would bring some drama.  Ironically, the last time I recall hearing a major WR diva type eruption was with Colt during that MNF game at halftime when supposedly Garcon and if I recall D. Jax too complained about not getting the ball even though they were open.

7 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

You may be right. Of all positions QB seems the most irresponsible in terms of value. So I could see him becoming hot and getting a bigger contract. But I also agree he is not worth it. My only point was that he may not be that expensive since he was not being paid much by NO and he could not even get to #2 on the depth chart.

We will see. 

I will add that personally I am Ok with them over paying him if it keeps them from drafting a early QB this year. I want the next GM/Coach to be able to pick their own guy. I doubt I will get my way. But a guy can hope. 

The reason he wasn't paid much was because teams were hesitant that his leg injury would flare up from all accounts i've seen. Now, he's shown that it didn't make him hesitant in the pocket and had decent accuracy in limited time.... he'll have quite a few suitors in FA who will pay him much more than he's at now... just a hunch.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been dismissing the idea of Antonio Brown.  But at the same time, I dismissed the idea that they'd trade for Flacco -- so what do I know.  The fact that Albert Breer kicked in that the Redskins were interested in Flacco makes source #5 that they were interested so am guessing some smoke to that fire.

Bruce typically doesn't seem to like players who bring drama.  The Redskins of late seem to like their players typically on the boring side.  The drama tends to come from the front office with some exceptions.  So I'd wonder how they'd look at Antonio.

Even though we didn't trade for Josh Norman, I'd look at a move for Brown on a similar level. Norman got 5/75 from memory, and whilst not as disrupted, he's kind of got that edge to him. 

No chance Brown comes here though without a viable QB in place, and that isn't Colt is it. 

Id consider the chances of Brown coming here slim, but I would not discount anything. As you have eluded to, maybe Dans natural instinct to make a splash comes to the fore this offseason. 

Plus, before the cap space discussion kicks in, we have 5 or 6 contracts that can be diced and sliced significantly to make cap room.

32 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

The reason he wasn't paid much was because teams were hesitant that his leg injury would flare up from all accounts i've seen. Now, he's shown that it didn't make him hesitant in the pocket and had decent accuracy in limited time.... he'll have quite a few suitors in FA who will pay him much more than he's at now... just a hunch.

I think I said you could be right, and you very well could be. There could possibly be 6 to 8 teams bidding for him. But it's not a slam dunk. He could be less of a commodity than you may be thinking. That is also a possibility.

But honestly that was not even the main point. I don't really care what his market is. If the Redskins get hot on him and pay him say $15M/yr for 2 yrs, and it keeps them from drafting a QB high in this draft, I am all for it! I just don't want Bruce making the net big QB investment in the draft. I really don;t think he will be here past this year. And if he is and it's without drafting a QB high, then all the better. 

18 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Even though we didn't trade for Josh Norman, I'd look at a move for Brown on a similar level. Norman got 5/75 from memory, and whilst not as disrupted, he's kind of got that edge to him. 

No chance Brown comes here though without a viable QB in place, and that isn't Colt is it. 

Id consider the chances of Brown coming here slim, but I would not discount anything. As you have eluded to, maybe Dans natural instinct to make a splash comes to the fore this offseason. 

Plus, before the cap space discussion kicks in, we have 5 or 6 contracts that can be diced and sliced significantly to make cap room.

From what I read today, Antonio would have no choice as to where he's going.  The Steelers aren't giving him and his agent permission to talk to teams.

4 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Not sure but at the moment it’s looking like a buyers market on the FA Qb’s available. He may not cost as much as we assume. But I’d sure as heck be there first to find out. Just a thought.

38 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From what I read today, Antonio would have no choice as to where he's going.  The Steelers aren't giving him and his agent permission to talk to teams.

Ive just been reading some recent quotes from Brown. Honestly, the guy appears a complete tool. You could really see him going on strike if he doesn't like the trade.

First thing he'd want is a new contract with guaranteed money beyond reason. 

11 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Ive just been reading some recent quotes from Brown. Honestly, the guy appears a complete tool. You could really see him going on strike if he doesn't like the trade.

First thing he'd want is a new contract with guaranteed money beyond reason. 

All this definitely could play out.    But like in the Josh Norman case, they might be able to come up with some narrative that they sell Brown on.  I am sure Bruce has the "we are close" rap down pat. 😀  And to your point, money talks.  I am not saying I think they do this.  But I wouldn't rule it out. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/antonio-brown-reveals-even-steelers-agree-its-time-he-moves

As for the Redskins, we know the need is real. Washington’s offense lacks playmakers especially at wide receiver. The team also has major concerns under center, so acquiring a top receiver before solving that passer issue feels a bit like putting the cart before the horse. There are also salary cap fears for a team without much wiggle room and a lengthy list of holes.

If, however, Washington desires a return to its off-season champion days, adding Brown is the splashy move. Now we know for sure that’s an option. 

“They will want a 1,” an NFL general manager told ESPN back in January, meaning a first round pick. But that was then, and now the Steelers have almost no leverage to their name in this predicament. Because of that, their tune has changed, and teams have started to call their bluff.

Pelissero of NFL Network said he polled seven different NFL executives who said the Steelers are now shooting for a mid-round pick for Brown’s services. That means Brown could be moved for a pick like a third or fourth rounder, certainly a bargain for the kind of production Brown can bring, if you can afford it.

So what teams can?

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/19/predicting-draft-pick-compensation-destinations-for-antonio-brown/

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

All this definitely could play out.    But like in the Josh Norman case, they might be able to come up with some narrative that they sell Brown on.  I am sure Bruce has the "we are close" rap down pat. 😀  And to your point, money talks.  I am not saying I think they do this.  But I wouldn't rule it out. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/antonio-brown-reveals-even-steelers-agree-its-time-he-moves

As for the Redskins, we know the need is real. Washington’s offense lacks playmakers especially at wide receiver. The team also has major concerns under center, so acquiring a top receiver before solving that passer issue feels a bit like putting the cart before the horse. There are also salary cap fears for a team without much wiggle room and a lengthy list of holes.

If, however, Washington desires a return to its off-season champion days, adding Brown is the splashy move. Now we know for sure that’s an option. 

“They will want a 1,” an NFL general manager told ESPN back in January, meaning a first round pick. But that was then, and now the Steelers have almost no leverage to their name in this predicament. Because of that, their tune has changed, and teams have started to call their bluff.

Pelissero of NFL Network said he polled seven different NFL executives who said the Steelers are now shooting for a mid-round pick for Brown’s services. That means Brown could be moved for a pick like a third or fourth rounder, certainly a bargain for the kind of production Brown can bring, if you can afford it.

So what teams can?

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/19/predicting-draft-pick-compensation-destinations-for-antonio-brown/

I hope it's not us.  I would rather we spent our FA money on Collins from the Giants if he is not tagged.

Wants:

Kwon Alexander, LB, could be an absolute steal in FA with his recent ACL tear. Tackling machine.

George Iloka, FS/SS, a FS who can also play in the box. Very versatile S.

J.R. Sweezy, LG, versatile Guard. 

Re-Sign:

Preston Smith, OLB

Ty Nsehke, T/G

Adrian Peterson, RB

Haha Clinton-Dix, FS

Draft:

1st round - Ed Oliver/Devin White/Kyler Murray (BPA)

2nd round - Julian Love, CB

Not done yet, but that's what i've got so far.

Go get Murray and Antonio Brown and offense is set. This coupled with a young defense ready to make progress towards “top 10” type status. Team is built more solidly than in past year of splashes like this, putting team in position to potentially take full advantage of said splash. I’m a no go on Brown without Murray. So, all this means nothing and is far fetched. 

Stadium would be rocking once again though. 

30 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Go get Murray and Antonio Brown and offense is set. This coupled with a young defense ready to make progress towards “top 10” type status. Team is built more solidly than in past year of splashes like this, putting team in position to potentially take full advantage of said splash. I’m a no go on Brown without Murray. So, all this means nothing and is far fetched. 

Why do I think that if we got Antonio Brown he'd suddenly perform for us like Randle El?

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Not to be a downer but outside of the Front 4, the defense is severely lacking. Our safeties aren't very good especially with Swearinger gone. Our corners haven't stepped up,  Norman is a year older and our shutdown guy is now an injury-prone converted WR. Our LB are consistently underwhelming especially our ILB. I was Uber high on them last year especially after we got Brown back but now I just don't see a lot of talent.

Archived