Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Good stuff. Of course Manusky remains, in case the things that DJ was overly vocal about, were valid flaws in his coaching/play calling.

Landon + Manusky  > DJ + New DC  + More Cap room

I have a simpler equation that also works:

Manusky < 0

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Art were you calling me stupid in my opinions as a Skin fan or am I misunderstanding something?

No.   I was siding with you and Cali and specifically questioning the tons of morons who seem to think signing the best strong safety in football for the same yearly wage as LESS good players is somehow odd.   You are good :).

1 minute ago, ixcuincle said:

So his cap hit is like 5 Million this year? Oh wow. That deal is sweet for the Skins. We have PLENTY of money left to play with this off season. And when Smith comes off the books. Post June 1 2020 we will have plenty to play with next year as well. Nice job by the front office!

Just now, Art said:

No.   I was siding with you and Cali and specifically questioning the tons of morons who seem to think signing the best strong safety in football for the same yearly wage as LESS good players is somehow odd.   You are good :).

Gotcha.  Thanks. :)  Agreed, the signing today with the numbers above in this thread show FO made a excellent FA addition.  

2 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Looks good. I never understand having an option trigger for something 4 years away. If it doesn't work then we can possibly avoid a 2024 payment meaning we've given the signing one season to be worth it 4 years later???

Anyway, seems fairly straight forward. Looks like the kind of deal you can buy a jersey with...

2 minutes ago, pcbothwel said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/landon-collins-16757/

Lololol... we pay him 4 M and 14M in the 1st two years, and then can cut him for only a 9M hit.

This is a good deal

It's also good for Collins. 

Year 1 = $15M signing bonus, $1M salary

Year 2 = $10M salary

If he's cut he's pocketed $26M in 2 years, then hits free agency again. 

6 minutes ago, LittleTinyUnbornBaby said:

So what is our cap room going to look like right now? I like the Collins move but the money seems to have screwed us. If im reading right we can free up over 20 mil by cutting norman, reed, mason foster and brown which I would love. I like reed but dude cant stay healthy and liked brown and mason until their comments last year. With r. Foster coming in and signing mosley if possible i see that as a better situation than brown and mason. Norman is trash lol

Our cap is between $0 and $asmuchaswewantbyconvertingWilliamsKerriganMosesNormanbasestobonuses.

But too much of that and eventually it hurts.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

Wait...is Collins gonna cost the Skins $6M against the 2019 cap?

I think $4 million.   $15 over 6 years is $2.5, pus a $1.5 base I presume.   The kicker here is the 2020 option bonus to kick in on the back end.    They are effectively guaranteeing that today, with an option to pay on Tuesday :).   Chances are we're not eating his signing bonus cap hit next year so that's a free six he gets that is guaranteed on him not being a total loser.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I like Collins, I really do.

But did I really just read that moves can only be judged when they are made and not after the fact?

That’s some Bruce level mind effing right there.

It can only be judged by what you know at the time...and like it or not, nobody can know exactly how a player will pan out over the course of their contract. But some things can happen that you had knowledge of (or should have had knowledge of) at the time the move was made.

It is so funny.  Reading through NFL fan boards, every fan that wanted their team to sign Earl Thomas now thinks there is no way it can happen based on the original numbers reported about the Collins signing.  LOL.  Someone is still going to sign Thomas... He isn't going to hold out for 20 mil per year just because of what Collins got.

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Yeah he didn't want to be here lol...

Maybe he did maybe he didn't but you can't act like this tweet is a definite proof that he didn't just take the highest offer available. Hopefully more details come out soon and we learn that he picked the skins over similar offers but we don't know that for sure as of today. 

I hate to admit how smart this was.  21mil up front but other guarantees are triggered. I wonder if other teams are pissed that we “set the market” but surprise! Not really. He’s essentially guaranteed 45 mil, but only if he performs the next 2 years, otherwise we cut him loose for a 32 mil over first three years. He gets 45 by being a stud. The last 3 years salaries are inconsequential.

I think a sneaky low cost pick up would be Cam Wake from Miami. Get him on a 1 year deal to replace Smith. He’s older, but better. I wonder if he has anything left or if Miami just sucked last year on defense.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I like Collins, I really do.

But did I really just read that moves can only be judged when they are made and not after the fact?

That’s some Bruce level mind effing right there.

No.

It's based on reality.    A move is smart or dumb the second you make it.   Not years later because things you can't control produce results from that move that look nothing, good or ill, like the information you had to make it.   Again, Case Keenum is a career journeyman.   Denver signing him to be their starter was dumb the second they made it.   If he evolved into a QB he had not been it would have made them lucky, but they gave him something he had not shown worthy of.   Risk moves are fine.   Knowing you're taking a risk.   Us signing Keenum is a great move as we're signing him for what he is.   If he suddenly becomes Drew Brees it doesn't make us somehow smarter.   Just luckier.

Reuben Foster was a brilliant football move the second it was made.   It was zero downside.   Only upside.   From a football perspective.   If Reuben is a hall of famer, great, but it was smart when we made it.   If Reuben beats his mom tomorrow, ok, it didn't cost nothing, bye bye.   Moves are judged based on the information you have, not the information the future knows about.   Otherwise all moves would be perfect.   Always.

Archived